Pakistani Readers discussion

پیر کامل  (Peer-e-Kamil, #1)
This topic is about پیر کامل
Books > Peer e kamil

Comments Showing 1-38 of 38 (38 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

What are your thoughts on this novel? Oh and apparently a drama is being made on it. Anyone watching it? And if so does it do justice to the novel?

message 2: by Maira (last edited Dec 18, 2012 07:42AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Maira | 5852 comments Mod
i didn't know a drama is being made on it. it was the first urdu novel that i read and it was just perfect. i don't think they can find a suitable Salar for the drama he.
if you know the name of the drama do tell.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Maira wrote: "i didn't know a drama is being made on it. it was the first urdu novel that i read and it was just perfect. i don't think they can find a suitable Salar for the drama he.
if you know the name of th..."

My bad. There's no drama being released unfortunately. I misread a promo for another drama based on a book by the same author :P

I still haven't read the novel so just to speed things up a bit I think I'll read it in English first :)

you haven't read it? wow!
its a very realistic book based upon our standards in our society and the difference between classes.
fantastic book you must read it and a drama can't be formed on this novel because Salar is a person that can onley be formed in our imagination and no actor has all of the qualities that he has so iam very glad to know that no drama is being made. ;p

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

It's been on my to-read list for ages but I need to find the English version :/

I've heard from a few people that it's one of those books that should never be a drama or film.

oh (now this is true :P ) there's a sequel called Aab-e-Hayat although I dont think its come out yet.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Ive nearly finished reading peer-e-kamil and i think it hands down one of the best books i have read ever. It is possibly the only book that has ever made me think of myself deeply and inspired me.

Although Theres one thing that has bothered me from nearly half way through and its the thought of what happened to Imama in this time? I have to say I still have not finished the book so I hope there is something about her in the end

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

I have nothing better to say but wow. This book really is the best book i have ever read and is now hands down my favourite. I have no idea why i avoided this book for so long.

Umera Ahmed truly is a brilliant writer. :)

Sairah wrote: "I have nothing better to say but wow. This book really is the best book i have ever read and is now hands down my favourite. I have no idea why i avoided this book for so long.

Umera Ahmed truly ..."

of course she is. this novel is the only urdu novel i have ever read. and iam proub of the fact that i did read it. :)

Shumaila | 125 comments wow sairah u read it quite quickly:) and yes she is a brilliant writer.. do u want to read some more books of her?

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Hehe i had to finish it to see what happened. Couldn't help myself :P

Yes i think ill be reading some of her other books soon if i can find english translations of them

Shumaila | 125 comments Sairah wrote: "Hehe i had to finish it to see what happened. Couldn't help myself :P

Yes i think ill be reading some of her other books soon if i can find english translations of them"

yeah ths is the problem with good books u cant do anything else comfortablely without finishing them:) hope u will find english version of AMBER BAIL and THORA SA AASMAN. Thier subject is diferent from Peer e kamil but they are some of umera's best novels.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh thank you. Ill defiantly try and find them :) if not theres no harm in trying to read it in urdu :)

Shumaila | 125 comments u r welcome) and ofcourse if u will read them in urdu u will enjoy them more because at the end of the day orignal is original:)

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Yep that's true :) originals are always the best xD

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

Glad you liked it :)
Do you think you will be reading more urdu novels?

Faheem  (faheeem) | 1596 comments Mod
Peer-e-kamil, is also on my list. i'll be starting it soon. Any body having e-boook ?

Aiman | 37 comments peer-e-kamil is just so amazing.me saying something in its shan would probably be pointless.many people wrote thesis on it.

message 18: by Farhan (last edited Apr 11, 2013 12:42AM) (new)

Farhan Khalid (farhankhalid) | 2 comments I didn't like this novel for simple reasons: it targets a minority in Pakistan, it is more preach than a piece of creative work - this is written to please the majority which is against the spirit of democracy - would it be praised equally if written in other way around - that - a Muslim rebellious girl attracted to a handsome and liberal-turn-pious Qadiani boy? the novel comes in the category of 'Kitsch' - sentimental art

message 19: by Hina (new) - rated it 5 stars

Hina (kabachireads) Shumaila wrote: "well said Hina.. "

Thanks Shumaila :-)

message 20: by Hina (new) - rated it 5 stars

Hina (kabachireads) Farhan wrote: "OK the sect outside Islam is separate religion, you can't force them too either to believe in A or in B - the issue of claim is everywhere, everyone will say they are on right path, even all the se..."

First of all one word for you: FICTION.

Those who write romantic novels want you to believe love conquers all. Chick-lit writers will want you to think you'll have your happy ever after. Fantasy writers will dive in a world beyond ours with magic and what not. Crime/mystery writers would end the day with catching the bad guy. Things are not so smooth and perfect in real life, but they are not "forcing" you to believe in anything of the sort, it is just their genre of writing. Umera Ahmed takes her inspiration from religion, it is apparent in almost ALL her stories, doesn't mean she is preaching it, means it is her inspiration to write FICTIONAL stories. She has targeted even the Sunni Muslims - which is a majority like you pointed out, in stories like Meri Zaat Zara-e-Bainishan and La-Hasil, on their holier than thou attitude.

Secondly, just because I respect a religion or point of view doesn't mean I agree with it. If as a Muslim I agree that Jesus is the Son of God, nauzubillah - may Allah forgive me, then hey guess what? I am no longer a Muslim, I have committed shirk.

I'll further amend your amended example: I agree everyone has the right to drive on the road and go where ever they want - no issues there. But if someone *insists* that they be allowed to run a red light or say speed then I will neither *respect* nor *agree* with that because it is against the law. Simple.

I am not forcing you to like the novel or the story, to each his own, I am only defending the point that this novel is "preachy", kitch - sentimental war.

message 21: by Farhan (new)

Farhan Khalid (farhankhalid) | 2 comments well - go ahead - read what inspires you..

message 22: by Ali (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ali Shahzad | 17 comments A wonderful Book. :)

message 23: by Rahma (new)

Rahma Azam Yup :) must read out

message 24: by Lara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lara Zuberi (larazuberi) | 569 comments I had been reading this interesting discussion without commenting on it because I have not read Peer-e-Kamil. (I have seen a lot of Umera's plays, and I am an admirer of her script-writing). But couldn't resist..

I agree with Farhan that minorities should not be targeted, and I say this because three of my closest Pakistani friends belong to minorities, and one of them belongs to the said sect, is on Goodreads, is one of the nicest human beings on Earth, and words said in the above posts would be very hurtful to her sentiments.

I also agree with Hina's point that this is fiction, and should be judged as such. Any fiction that generates so much discussion has to have merit, otherwise people would not be spending their time discussing it. But we need to remember that these are stories after all, and if they have a moral message(as many of Umera's stories do), that is a bonus, not a prerequisite. We should steer away from interpreting every aspect of a story in the hope of finding a moral message-for that we have other resources.

The purpose of fiction is entertainment, not guidance, though I suppose writers do have to be conscious of the responsibility that some readers place on their shoulders.

i agree with you but if we see it through another point of view may be the writer tried to show us the narrow mindedness of people no matter what sect or status or class they belonged to it is their in some it is found in extreme while others can supress it.

she not only pointed out this trait in the said sect but also in the higher upper class form which salar belonged although it was in a completely different way but still was their.

i think it is a matter of your own thinking and opinion with which you review a book so no harm done in discussing it.

message 26: by Saba (new)

Saba (Sabashakeel) | 2 comments We're nobody to decide who's a Muslim and who's not when we dont have the power of judging what will happen to us in the very next second..even the Prophets never judged anyone this way the way we're doing in this world,we need compassion and peace so try to avoid these kind of conflicts because these will only separate us and divide so of no use and nowhere a practice of our Prophets,not even Quran teaches to..May we all be guided to the best of Islam (Ameen)

Faheem  (faheeem) | 1596 comments Mod
hey guys
Wasn't this thread for the discussion on novel Peer-e-Kamil, or am i lost...

Preeshay (goodreadscompreeshay_pari) rite Faheem! so commenting on Peer-e-Kamil... well what to comment on such an amazing lit writ! its simply awesome n a must read too for every one who have not gone through it yet! do give it a try gals. It will kick you out of all your mis perceptions or say dis perceptions!!
my word for it!!!

message 29: by Shehzad (new) - added it

Shehzad | 648 comments I wasn't much impresssed with the novel either. I don't remember the specifics; read it a year or two ago. But I would like to know the group's opinion about something. Salaar doesn't seem to be seeking the right path, as far as I can remember, yet he somehow finds it,quite miraclusouly and effortlessly. What's the message here? What insipiration ?

message 30: by Preeshay (last edited Sep 03, 2013 07:35PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Preeshay (goodreadscompreeshay_pari) @Shehzad.. what!!you think Salaar doesn't seem to be seeking the right path n just found it effortlessly!!! Man i humbly request you give the novel a second go through in a serene mood(never mind plz:) the reason is that you are actually missing the crux of the line here..! remember what Salaar suffers all through his journey..!! its this pain n agony, his inner quest thats urging him to go for the right...!! remember his soul words..?? "What comes next to Ecstasy..?? n the reply of Imama Hashim..?? just give it a second read man n then come back for an argument
ps:i dearly respect your views Shehzad n never meant to be critical in any way!!so hope you don't mind:)

message 31: by Shehzad (new) - added it

Shehzad | 648 comments @Pareeshay...Whats lies beyobnd ecstacy:nothingness, right? That's at least what the novel says. Let me get this straight. A genius,rich guy with a life full of agony and suffering gets bored out of ecstacy to go looking for what lies beyond ecstacy and this leads him to the straight path ? Doesn't it all sound paradoxical? Also, i didn't realize the line " what comes after ecstacy..."was a coded plea for the right path :)
ps:i didn't mind at all and hope my querries are not offending you or anyone else

message 32: by Saeed (last edited Sep 15, 2013 11:18PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Saeed Ur | 3 comments Just joined this group and saw this. Tbh I read the novel last summer during vacations and then I took @Preeshay's advice and read it again. My opinion remains the same. It is probably one of the worst works of the writer. Her other novels are great literary works which grip a person and take him on a journey through the characters but this one is just hammering on one point again and again and again. I think it is admired a lot cuz most people here in our country are not sympathetic to minorities so if I review it as a rhetoric or kitch well then it gets top prize and 5/5 but as a piece of literature from a writer like her, well she has given us novels which are so so so much better than this, it is not even in the same league with her other novels and i rank it among her worst efforts at story writing.

message 33: by Lara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lara Zuberi (larazuberi) | 569 comments Finished it last night

Lara wrote: "Finished it last night"

what is your opinion about the book?

message 35: by Lara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lara Zuberi (larazuberi) | 569 comments Maira I loved it. I read it because of all the discussion here and because I love Umeras plays. I will post a review soon, I agree with you that it's a very powerful novel.

Lara wrote: "Maira I loved it. I read it because of all the discussion here and because I love Umeras plays. I will post a review soon, I agree with you that it's a very powerful novel."

good to know you liked it. :P

message 37: by Lara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lara Zuberi (larazuberi) | 569 comments I think the strong point of this book is the journey it takes you on. Here's my review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

Hamid Raza (hamid_raza) | 1 comments Although I read the novel like three years ago. I'm new on Goodreads and I think it's the right place to describe the awesomeness of this novel. Wow. It is so influential and emotional but realistic at the same time and the characters are amazingly interesting too. Loved the ending. I have no words to describe this masterpiece. I have read it 7 times. Planning to read it for the 8th time after my exams are finished.
Novel was made available for sale in 2004 and I read it in 2010, I told the story to my grandma (R.I.P), and she smiled with tears in her eyes... She actually told me that its a true story and that Imama used to live in xxxx xxxxxxx xxxxxx Lahore. But after her qadyani family started searching her, she went incognito. I don't know if its partially or completely true, but it gave me a heart attack!!