Movies We've Just Watched discussion

Stardust

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ScottK (new)

ScottK I Loved this movie (and I am not a devoted Neil Gaiman fan) But this movie was just fun and kept my interest, yeah we all saw the end coming a mile away, but the ride was worth it IMHO.

message 2: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra I loved it too. I also appreciated how they kept fairly faithful to the book. There were some changes, but done well.

Loved the book, too :)

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I really liked this movie. I dislike Claire Danes..but I still enjoyed the movie.

message 4: by Fred (new)

Fred | 4 comments I really liked this movie. Very funny, good action and a good story.

message 5: by Farzad (new)

Farzad kabiri | 2 comments good visual effects and fantasy. I don't like fantasy movies but this one was different.

message 6: by Arctic (new)

Arctic i liked it too.

reminded my of something out of Jim Henson's The Storyteller. only feature length.

Also similar to The Princess Bride and Labyrinth.

message 7: by Pamela (new)

Pamela (teacupfangirl) Stardust was the first Neil Gaiman book I ever read, though it's not my favorite (it was just barely edged out of the top spot by Neverwhere). I was VERY worried about the movie, but I absolutely adore it. It's very different from the book, but it turned out the way adaptations SHOULD turn out. The screenwriters took the soul of the book and fleshed it out.

message 8: by Cody (new)

Cody Wilshire (codywilshire) | 7 comments I really enjoyed it but it reminded me of The Labyrinth quite a bit. Which isn't a bad thing! (Seriously, that movie, is MADE of awesome).

Plus, Robert DeNiro was simply FAB U LOUS in it <- and if you don't get that joke, I may hurt you.

And I agree, this adaptation was really really good. Much better than most.

message 9: by Dottie (new)

Dottie  (oxymoronid) I took a chance that there might be spoilers in this thread but am glad -- so now I knoow -- read the book and see thefilm -- I've been putting off diving into Gaiman even after falling totally in love with Coraline when it came out and my daughter gifted it to me to entice me into Gaiman. So I'm ready. glad that I didn't see the film before the book which I tried to do and was prevented in that the theatre took it out of the lineup before we got there -- some things are just supposed to be done in a certain order.!

message 10: by Ed (new)

Ed | 217 comments Mod
Boy, I need to see this. I loved Gaiman's Sandman series. Haven't read his novels.

message 11: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra Ed, then I recommend not only this movie, but also the books Stardust and Neverwhere.

I found out Neverwhere was also a British TV series, available at Netflix. It was fun to watch, but I'm not a big fan of the British TV style.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Haven't seen Stardust, but I look forward to seeing it one day. My first Gaiman was Neverwhere, and it's still one of my favourite books (especially if you're familiar with London). I've had some trouble with his other words (I couldn't get into American Gods).

Janis - I love that you've flagged up 'British TV style'. I've never thought about British TV having a style, but I remember growing up in Australia and struggling to enjoy some (not all!) British TV. Now that I live in London, I don't notice it at all and really enjoy it now!

message 13: by Ed (new)

Ed | 217 comments Mod
I will definitely read him...his Sandman series was just so great....incredible.

message 14: by K (new)

K | 39 comments I watched this movie on a plane and thought it so predictable! Glad I didn't pay to see it, I must say.

I like the Sandman series though.

message 15: by Alexandra (last edited Jan 11, 2008 04:01AM) (new)

Alexandra LOL Angela, as an American I certainly can tell the difference with a British produced series. I personally don't really like them, other Americans love them. :)

Of course "Neverwhere" also must have been made many years ago - apparently it was made concurrent to the writing of the novel, according to Gaiman's comments on the DVD - so that probably makes a differece as well. It does follow the book faithfully.

message 16: by Milani (new)

Milani Sonqishe | 2 comments i love Michelle Pfeiffer and i've love Claire Danes since the TV series - "My so-called life", even though i don't think she is that great an actress. I sort of enjoyed this movie, it didn't grab me at all. Guess i need to read the book....

message 17: by Vitiating (new)

Vitiating | 4 comments This movie had an absolutely fantastic cast. Robert De Niro is unbelievable and Michelle Pfeiffer is a hotty, as is Claire Danes.
Stardust for the win.

message 18: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (readerandwriter) Woops, didn't realize there was already a comment thing for "Stardust" already..lol. I loved Startdust. My favorite character was Michelle Pfieffer's character, she is hot and plays that part very well. I liked Robert De Niro's character,however I disliked the "feminine" side to his character. I wasn't digging Claire Daine's character that much. My favorite part of the whole movie was the flying ship...so cool.

message 19: by Chirayu (last edited Jan 22, 2008 11:32PM) (new)

Chirayu | 4 comments I love Stardust. My lone all time favorite movie, The Princess Bride, now has a companion :)

message 20: by Lilias (new)

Lilias I loved Stardust, and I didn't think I would. It was so much fun! I agree with the comparison to The Princess Bride. Not as good, but very similar.
I haven't read either book.

message 21: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (cookiejarprincess) I had never read any Gaiman until after I saw Stardust. I loved the movie so I borrowed the book from the library and read it in just a few hours. I could not put it down. I have a friend who is a big Gaiman fan and he recommended him to me a while ago but I just wasn't into it but after reading Stardust I am completely hooked on him.

message 22: by Ash (new)

Ash | 1 comments i had very low expectations for this film, but ended up loving it. deniro was awesome. buying the book tomorrow...can't wait to read it!

message 23: by Ed (new)

Ed | 217 comments Mod
It's on my netflix now. :)

message 24: by Chirayu (new)

Chirayu | 4 comments I hadn't realized that it was based on a book. And it looks like it's only 256 pages. Time for another Amazon checkout :)

message 25: by Serena (new)

Serena | 44 comments Ugh, I found this one rather dull! It wasn't quite as awful as Mirror Mask, but still pretty tedious.

I guess that it has a bunch of actors I really like and the author of Sandman, so thought it would be good.

Maybe it's better to always go to films with low expectations and then you can sometimes be pleasantly surprised instead.

message 26: by Kim (new)

Kim (kimbythesea) | 3 comments I really enjoyed this movie and went out and bought the DVD when it came out, my DD and my liitle DS too enjoyed it, goes to show a film doesn't always have to be full of blood and guts to be enjoyed.

PurpleObsessor_15 (HunnyBunn13) | 16 comments Lousy guy played the kid...too much time spent on senery instead of plot...other than that, it was....ok. Iteresting...and I LOVE Michelle Phieffer!!!