UK Amazon Kindle Forum discussion

Meet the Authors > David Haynes - Festive Free Book.

Comments Showing 1-50 of 652 (652 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 13 14

message 1: by David (last edited Apr 08, 2013 02:24AM) (new)

David Haynes | 950 comments Hi
I'm an independent fiction writer born and raised in Derbyshire in the U.K.
I still live there with my wife, son and gentle, yet simple minded, retired greyhound.

My love for books came at a very early age and has never ceased. Writing was a later development, although not by much. My first memory of writing stories was on an old typewriter with half of the keys missing.

Apart from writing and reading, I enjoy sports, particularly cricket. I've never given up on the hope that one day I'll get a call from the English chairman of selectors.
"Dave, we've got a problem. Can you get down to Lords and open the batting?"

"I'll just finish writing this chapter, then I'll be there."

I'd love to hear from you about anything, so use the contact page and send me a message

message 2: by David (new)

David Haynes | 950 comments Has it really been that long since I updated this thread??

It must be. I've been so busy with my Mask of the Macabre thread this has been badly negelected.

Well to kick off!

The Boy Who Kissed The Sky by David Haynes

The Boy Who Kissed The Sky is FREE on 2nd and 3rd March.

George Roberts believes that when he was nearly four years old he flew; not in an airplane, helicopter or other man made device and not exactly like a bird but he flew nonetheless.

Join him sixteen years later as he takes a road trip across Europe to find the only person who can help him do it again… the only problem is, that person has been dead for three hundred years.

Humour, love and kismet gone mad throw him into an adventure where he learns the true meaning of his flight.

Part road trip, part comedy and part coming of age. The story takes in Brittany and Paris before ending in Copertino, Southern Italy which just happens to be the birth place of St Joseph - the patron saint of flight!

Re-edited January 2013

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Boy-Who-K...

http://www.amazon.com/The-Boy-Who-Kis...

message 3: by Philip (new)

Philip Whiteland | 3146 comments Good luck with both, David.

message 4: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Barrett | 1612 comments I just got this, David. Thanks! And good luck with it, hope it goes well :)

message 5: by David (new)

David Haynes | 950 comments Thanks, Philip and thanks, Andy!

message 6: by Philip (sarah) (new)

Philip (sarah) Willis | 5174 comments Thanks David, just one-clicked.

message 7: by David (new)

David Haynes | 950 comments Thank you. I hope you enjoy it!

message 8: by David (new)

David Haynes | 950 comments Hi, I just wanted to update my thread with the results fo my first 24hours of the free promotion of The Boy Who Kissed The Sky.
Due to being picked up by and promoted by ENT (Ereader News Today)yesterday I saw an amazing number of downloads on .COM.
The total numbers so far are :

.Com - 2560 downloads which puts me at an amzing #85 overall (#6 humour)
.Co.uk - 206 downloads #211 overall and #12 in humour.

Since I've never sold any copies of the book on .COM it's great to see the numbers being downloaded for free.

I hope to keep it going today so grab a copy if you haven't already!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Boy-Who-K...

http://www.amazon.com/The-Boy-Who-Kis... The Boy Who Kissed The Sky by David Haynes

message 9: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25093 comments Well done Dave - those are great figures.

message 10: by David (new)

David Haynes | 950 comments Thank you. Yes, a whole lot better than I'd expected, particularly on .COM

message 11: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Barrett | 1612 comments Great downloads, David. I've heard amazing things about EarNosenThroat. No idea what it is. I'll go and have a looksee.

message 12: by David (new)

David Haynes | 950 comments haha! Thanks, Andy.

message 13: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Hill | 1603 comments I wonder whether it's easier to get an appointment at your local Ear, Nose and Throat clinic or get your book listed on Ereader News Today....

Dave, I'm envious of your US downloads!! Excellent result. Hope it goes just as well today.

message 14: by David (new)

David Haynes | 950 comments Thanks, Jonathan! I suspect yesterday was the highpoint. Downloads, particularly in the UK have stagnated.
I think getting listed at both places is more or less a lottery!

message 15: by Philip (new)

Philip Whiteland | 3146 comments Incredible! Well done, and I hope this leads to a steady stream of sales in the future.

message 16: by David (new)

David Haynes | 950 comments Cheers, Philip.

Ah yes the impossible dream of steady sales. I live in hope!

message 17: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Hill | 1603 comments Well I was inspired to submit Venice to ENT yesterday after your success, so I will see. Although, I think they are less likely to feature shorter stories. I'll just have to hope!

I tweeted your book this morning with hashtags so fingers crossed that adds a few downloads.

message 18: by David (new)

David Haynes | 950 comments Thanks Jonathan, I don't have a clue how to use twitter properly, so that means alot.

Good luck with that submission. I hope you've gone down that long list of places to submit! The more the merrier in my opinion.

message 19: by Philip (new)

Philip Whiteland | 3146 comments Also tweeted. Not sure if it makes a blind bit of difference, but still...

message 20: by David (new)

David Haynes | 950 comments Thanks, Philip. I'm not sure either, but it can't hurt. Only been about 10 downloads for UK this morning. There's a lack of places to promote in the UK. Rosen's Indie Book Bargains is the only place I've found.

message 21: by Philip (new)

Philip Whiteland | 3146 comments David wrote: "Thanks, Philip. I'm not sure either, but it can't hurt. Only been about 10 downloads for UK this morning. There's a lack of places to promote in the UK. Rosen's Indie Book Bargains is the only plac..."

Well, that's one more than I've found! Have you looked on the various Facebook pages?

message 22: by David (new)

David Haynes | 950 comments I only found three I think.

message 23: by Philip (new)

message 24: by David (new)

David Haynes | 950 comments Cheers, Philip. Not seen that one!

message 25: by Jonathan (last edited Mar 05, 2013 01:12PM) (new)

Jonathan Hill | 1603 comments It was a pleasure to welcome Dave onto my blog's 'ten questions with' feature.

http://jhillwriter.blogspot.co.uk/201...

message 26: by David (new)

David Haynes | 950 comments It was a very enjoyable experience! Thanks, Jonathan!

message 27: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25093 comments Oh hey, thanks for the mention David!

message 28: by David (new)

David Haynes | 950 comments Because, you're worth it!

message 29: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25093 comments *swishes hair back*

message 30: by David (new)

David Haynes | 950 comments hehe! Enjoy the fish and chips! I'm jealous.

message 31: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Hill | 1603 comments David wrote: "It was a very enjoyable experience! Thanks, Jonathan!"

No problem, Dave! You were most welcome!

message 32: by David (last edited Mar 16, 2013 10:38AM) (new)

David Haynes | 950 comments It's been a while since I released something so I thought I'd release a new book.

I've put the blurb etc on the new releases section and at the risk of repeating myself...

Ballet of the Bones by David Haynes

Ballet of the Bones (77p/99c)

Four short tales of Victorian terror, each bound to the other by a chilling thread.

London suffocates under the festering reek of its bursting graveyards.

Ballet of the Bones – The curtain goes up on the greatest show on earth, but is everything all it seems?

The Bone House – The grave digger reflects on his morbid life, but what does his future hold?

The Engineer – His creations are beautiful, intricate and for a discerning palate.

Encore – The director makes ready for the end of the show.

13,700 words.

It's available here : http://authl.it/4k

message 33: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Barrett | 1612 comments Looks really good, David. Good luck with it!

message 34: by David (new)

David Haynes | 950 comments Thanks, Andy. if you've got an more of those emails, don't keep them to yourself!

message 35: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Barrett | 1612 comments Mate, I've a stack of them. 800+, but most are not suitable for young audiences, ahem.

message 36: by David (new)

David Haynes | 950 comments anything like that last one? I'll pm my email address!

message 37: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Barrett | 1612 comments Okay David, I'll have a trawl through them when I get some time ;)

message 38: by David (new)

David Haynes | 950 comments No probs, cheers. I could do with a laugh

message 39: by David (new)

David Haynes | 950 comments Just a very quick update. I've started working on a new book. Very similar genre to both Mask and Ballet, ie Victorian chiller. Although this looks to be pointing towards a novel or novella sized piece rather than a short story.

message 40: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25093 comments Oh, nice! ;)

message 41: by David (new)

David Haynes | 950 comments I hope so!

message 42: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Hill | 1603 comments WOOHOO!! Can't wait, Dave! :)

message 43: by David (new)

David Haynes | 950 comments Thanks, Jonathan.

message 44: by David (new)

David Haynes | 950 comments This weekend, Mask of the Macabre was featured on Brian Freeman's fantastic new website dedicated to bargain horror literature. It's a fantastic site and I recommend signing up to the email updates if, like me, you enjoy this genre. It resulted in a good deal of interest in the book on.com, the likes of which I've never had before. Even post successful free promo for The Boy.
http://www.ehorrorbargains.com

I've been emailed to say that Ballet of the Bones, although doesn't meet his criteria will be listed tomorrow because of the interest in Mask. Great news!

message 45: by Jonathan (last edited Apr 02, 2013 01:21PM) (new)

Jonathan Hill | 1603 comments Nice one! I can see by the chart position you've had US sales, so that's great. Interesting that Mask met the criteria but not Ballet.

message 46: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25093 comments They are very similar. I don't get that?

message 47: by Patti (baconater) (last edited Apr 02, 2013 09:04PM) (new)

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Andrew wrote: "Mate, I've a stack of them. 800+, but most are not suitable for young audiences, ahem."

OIY.

Does someone have funnies they're not sharing???

Not on, that. Just not on.

message 48: by David (new)

David Haynes | 950 comments it was to do with the number of reviews needed. Mask had more at the time.

message 49: by David (new)

David Haynes | 950 comments Patti (It's a grape life) wrote: "Andrew wrote: "Mate, I've a stack of them. 800+, but most are not suitable for young audiences, ahem."

OIY.

Does someone have funnies they're not sharing???

Not on, that. Just not on."

Patti, I could forward by email. Just pm your address and I'll send them over.

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Cool!

Is it okay if I copy some into Vanessa's naughty room thread?

Geoff has really fallen down on the funnies posts lately. The jerk.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 13 14