Who's Your Author? discussion

Archives 2013 > 2013: Celebrate Your Favorite Series

Comments Showing 1-40 of 40 (40 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dawn, Desperately seeking new worlds (last edited Jan 12, 2013 01:22AM) (new)

Dawn (dawnv) | 4053 comments Celebrate your Favorite Series in 2013

1. Choose an author who has a long running series, the series must have at least 11 books and be considered Urban Fantasy, Fantasy or PNR (i.e. Carpathians, Dark Hunters, Dresden, Rogue Angel etc)

2. Re-read a book a month and tell us what you think the second time around.

Participants and Series List
Sonia and Gin Sookie Stackhouse by Charlaine Harris
Keri Breeds by Lora Leigh
Leigh Dark Hunter By Sherrilyn Kenyon
Jen Argeneau Family by Lynsay Sands
Dawn Rachel Morgan by Kim Harrison

message 2: by Sandra, Need more time to Read!! (new)

Sandra | 4483 comments I'm in, not sure yet which series though :)

message 3: by Sonia (last edited Feb 01, 2013 06:16AM) (new)

Sonia (darktalynn) I'm in! I'm going to re-read the Sookie Stackhouse Series - seems appropriated since the final book will be published in 2013 :o)

Celebrate your Favorite Series in 2013

1.Dead Until Dark - 1.31.13
I think I liked it more this time than the first. Maybe because, the first time I was watching True Blood at the same time, so the similarities and differences interfere with my perception. I'm excited to read the series all over again, to know if they are some characters that I'll see in a different way. I know that I liked Andy a way more this time than the first time.

2.Living Dead in Dallas
3.Club Dead
4.Dead to the World
5.Dead as a Doornail
6.Definitely Dead
7.All Together Dead
8.From Dead to Worse
9.Dead and Gone
10.Dead in the Family
11.Dead Reckoning
12.Deadlocked
13.Dead Ever After

Dead Until Dark (Sookie Stackhouse, #1) by Charlaine Harris Living Dead in Dallas (Sookie Stackhouse, #2) by Charlaine Harris Club Dead (Sookie Stackhouse, #3) by Charlaine Harris Dead to the World (Sookie Stackhouse, #4) by Charlaine Harris Dead as a Doornail (Sookie Stackhouse, #5) by Charlaine Harris Definitely Dead (Sookie Stackhouse, #6) by Charlaine Harris All Together Dead (Sookie Stackhouse, #7) by Charlaine Harris From Dead to Worse (Sookie Stackhouse, #8) by Charlaine Harris Dead and Gone (Sookie Stackhouse, #9) by Charlaine Harris Dead in the Family (Sookie Stackhouse, #10) by Charlaine Harris Dead Reckoning (Sookie Stackhouse, #11) by Charlaine Harris Deadlocked (Sookie Stackhouse, #12) by Charlaine Harris Dead Ever After (Sookie Stackhouse, #13) by Charlaine Harris

message 4: by Dawn, Desperately seeking new worlds (last edited Dec 18, 2012 07:21PM) (new)

Dawn (dawnv) | 4053 comments That is a good one Sonia I was thinking about that one as well which is awesome because I can now choose another and chat with you about yours :-)

message 5: by Dawn, Desperately seeking new worlds (new)

Dawn (dawnv) | 4053 comments Oh and I am in too LOL

message 6: by Sonia (new)

Sonia (darktalynn) Dawn wrote: "That is a good one Sonia I was thinking about that one as well which is awesome because I can now choose another and chat with you about yours :-)"

Nice!

The other "big" series I'm following I'm a little behind, so, whichever you choose, I can re-read or read for the first time and chat about it too :o)

message 7: by Gin (new)

Gin | 338 comments I'm in too. I was actually thinking Sookie too, because they are such short and easy reads

message 8: by Gin (new)

Gin | 338 comments It will either be that or Rachel Morgan

message 9: by Keri (last edited Feb 19, 2013 05:00PM) (new)

Keri | 182 comments Count me in also. I'll reread the Breed series by Lora Leigh. There are a LOT of books in the series though so I'll probably double up and read 2/month otherwise it'll take over 2 yrs to reread them if I just do 1 book/month.

1. Tempting the Beast1/13 ★★
2. The Man Within1/13 ★★★
3. Elizabeth's Wolf2/13 ★★★★
4. Kiss of Heat2/13 ★★
5. Soul Deep
6. The Breed Next Door in Hot Spell anthology
7. Megan's Mark
8. Harmony's Way
9. Tanner's Scheme
10. Wolfe's Hope
11. Jacob's Faith
12. Aiden's Charity
13. In a Wolf's Embrace in Beyond the Dark anthology
14. Dawn's Awakening
15. A Jaguar's Kiss in Shifter anthology
16. Mercury's War
17. Christmas Heat in The Magical Christmas Cat anthology
18. Coyote's Mate
19. Christmas Kiss in Hot for the Holidays anthology
20. Bengal's Heart
21. Lion's Heat
22. Styx's Storm
23. Primal Kiss in Primal anthology
24. Navarro's Promise
25. An Inconvenient Mate in Tied with a Bow anthology
26. Lawe's Justice

Tempting the Beast (Breeds, #1) by Lora Leigh The Man Within (Breeds, #2; Feline Breeds, #2) by Lora Leigh Elizabeth's Wolf (Breeds, #3) by Lora Leigh Kiss of Heat (Breeds, #4; Feline Breeds, #3) by Lora Leigh Soul Deep (Breeds, #5) by Lora Leigh Hot Spell (Includes Demon World, #2; Breeds, #6; The Guardians, Prequel) by Emma Holly Megan's Mark (Breeds, #7) by Lora Leigh Harmony's Way (Breeds, #8) by Lora Leigh Tanner's Scheme (Breeds, #9) by Lora Leigh Wolfe's Hope (Breeds, #10) by Lora Leigh Jacob's Faith (Breeds, #11) by Lora Leigh Aiden's Charity (Breeds, #12) by Lora Leigh Beyond the Dark (Includes Tales of the Demon World, #5; Breeds, #13) by Angela Knight Dawn's Awakening (Breeds, #14) by Lora Leigh Shifter (Includes Warriors of Poseidon, #2.5; Breeds, #15; Children of the Sea Prequel) by Angela Knight Mercury's War (Breeds, #16) by Lora Leigh The Magical Christmas Cat (Includes Breeds, #17; Psy-Changeling, #3.5; Murphy Sisters, #2) by Lora Leigh Coyote's Mate (Breeds, #18) by Lora Leigh Hot for the Holidays by Lora Leigh Bengal's Heart (Breeds, #20) by Lora Leigh Lion's Heat (Breeds, #21) by Lora Leigh Styx's Storm (Breeds, #22) by Lora Leigh Primal (Includes Breeds, #23; Nightshade, #1.5) by Lora Leigh Navarro's Promise (Breeds, #24) by Lora Leigh Tied with a Bow (Includes Breeds, #25; World of the Lupi, #8.5) by Lora Leigh Lawe's Justice (Breeds, #26) by Lora Leigh

message 10: by Sonia (new)

Sonia (darktalynn) Gin wrote: "It will either be that or Rachel Morgan"

If you choose Rachel Morgan I can re-read with you (only the first 2 will be re-read) and we can chat about it :o)

message 11: by Leigh (last edited Nov 03, 2013 08:08AM) (new)

Leigh | 1145 comments I think I will re-read Dark Hunter series. I will have to double up to finish in one year.I won't be reading the anthologies. Just the novels in this series.

16/23 Completed

1.Fantasy Lover1/14 5stars
2. Night Pleasures1/30 5stars
3. Night Embrace 2/14 5stars
4. Dance with the Devil 3/12 5stars
5. Kiss of the Night 3/18 5stars
6. Night Play 4/4 5stars
7. Seize the Night 4/14 5stars
8. Sins of the Night4/17 5stars
9. Unleash the Night 5/16
10. Dark Side of the Moon 5/22
11. The Dream Hunter 6/28
12. Devil May Cry 7/1
13. Upon the Midnight Clear7/12
14. Dream Chaser
15. Acheron
16.One Silent Night 9/22
17. Dream Warrior
18. Bad Moon Rising
19. No Mercy
20. Retribution
21. The Guardian
22. Time Untime
23. Styxx9/7

Fantasy Lover (Dark-Hunter companion novel) by Sherrilyn Kenyon Night Pleasures (Dark-Hunter, #1) by Sherrilyn Kenyon Night Embrace (Dark-Hunter, #3) by Sherrilyn Kenyon Dance with the Devil (Dark-Hunter, #3) by Sherrilyn Kenyon Kiss of the Night (Dark-Hunter, #5) by Sherrilyn Kenyon Night Play (Were-Hunter, #1) by Sherrilyn Kenyon Seize the Night (Dark-Hunter, #7) by Sherrilyn Kenyon Sins of the Night (Dark-Hunter, #6) by Sherrilyn Kenyon Unleash the Night (Dark-Hunter, #10; Were-Hunter, #5) by Sherrilyn Kenyon Dark Side of the Moon (Dark-Hunter, #11; Were-Hunter, #6) by Sherrilyn Kenyon The Dream Hunter (Dream-Hunter, #2; Dark-Hunter, #12) by Sherrilyn Kenyon Devil May Cry (Dark-Hunter, #13) by Sherrilyn Kenyon Upon the Midnight Clear (Dream-Hunter, #3; Dark-Hunter, #14) by Sherrilyn Kenyon Dream Chaser (Dream-Hunter, #4; Dark-Hunter, #15) by Sherrilyn Kenyon Acheron (Dark-Hunter, #16) by Sherrilyn Kenyon One Silent Night (Dark-Hunter, #17) by Sherrilyn Kenyon Dream Warrior (Dream-Hunter, #4; Dark-Hunter, #18) by Sherrilyn Kenyon Bad Moon Rising (Dark-Hunter, #18; Were-Hunter, #5; Hellchaser, #2) by Sherrilyn Kenyon No Mercy (Dark-Hunter, #20; Were-Hunter, #8) by Sherrilyn Kenyon Retribution (Dark-Hunter, #21; Were-Hunter, #9) by Sherrilyn Kenyon The Guardian (Dark-Hunter, #22; Dream-Hunter, #6; Were-Hunter, #10; Hellchaser, #4) by Sherrilyn Kenyon Time Untime (Dark-Hunter, #23; Were-Hunter #11; Hellchaser, #5) by Sherrilyn Kenyon Styxx (Dark-Hunter, #24) by Sherrilyn Kenyon

message 12: by Dawn, Desperately seeking new worlds (new)

Dawn (dawnv) | 4053 comments I decided I am going to reread the Rachel Morgan series
Dead Witch Walking (The Hollows, #1) by Kim Harrison The Good, the Bad, and the Undead (The Hollows, #2) by Kim Harrison Every Which Way But Dead (The Hollows, #3) by Kim Harrison A Fistful of Charms (The Hollows, #4) by Kim Harrison For a Few Demons More (The Hollows, #5) by Kim Harrison The Outlaw Demon Wails (The Hollows, #6) by Kim Harrison White Witch, Black Curse (The Hollows, #7) by Kim Harrison Black Magic Sanction (The Hollows, #8) by Kim Harrison Pale Demon (The Hollows, #9) by Kim Harrison A Perfect Blood (The Hollows, #10) by Kim Harrison Ever After (The Hollows, #11) by Kim Harrison

I cannot wait to see which one becomes my new favorite!

message 13: by Gin (new)

Gin | 338 comments I think I'll go with Sookie. They are such quick, light reads. And I don't think I've read the last, so it will give me an excuse to catch up.

Dead Until Dark (Sookie Stackhouse, #1) by Charlaine Harris Living Dead in Dallas (Sookie Stackhouse, #2) by Charlaine Harris Club Dead (Sookie Stackhouse, #3) by Charlaine Harris Dead to the World (Sookie Stackhouse, #4) by Charlaine Harris Dead as a Doornail (Sookie Stackhouse, #5) by Charlaine Harris Definitely Dead (Sookie Stackhouse, #6) by Charlaine Harris All Together Dead (Sookie Stackhouse, #7) by Charlaine Harris From Dead to Worse (Sookie Stackhouse, #8) by Charlaine Harris Dead and Gone (Sookie Stackhouse, #9) by Charlaine Harris Dead in the Family (Sookie Stackhouse, #10) by Charlaine Harris Dead Reckoning (Sookie Stackhouse, #11) by Charlaine Harris Deadlocked (Sookie Stackhouse, #12) by Charlaine Harris Dead Ever After (Sookie Stackhouse, #13) by Charlaine Harris

message 14: by Jen (last edited Feb 19, 2013 08:28AM) (new)

Jen | 105 comments I have been wanting to reread this series for a while now. Here is the perfect opportunity!

Duration: Jan. 1 - Dec 31/13

10/20 Completed!

Lynsay Sands Lynsay Sands - Argeneau Family

1. A Quick Bite Jan 16/13 ★★★
2. Love Bites Jan 20/13 ★★★
3. Single White Vampire Jan 21/13 ★★★★
4. Tall, Dark & Hungry Jan 28/13 ★★★★
5. A Bite to Remember Feb 6/13 ★★★★
6. Bite Me If You Can Feb 11/13 ★★★★
7. The Accidental Vampire Feb 14/13 ★★★★★
8. Vampires Are Forever
9. Vampire, Interrupted Feb 19/13 ★★
10. The Rogue Hunter
11. The Immortal Hunter
12. The Renegade Hunter
12.5. Bitten by Cupid Feb 17/13 ★★1/2
13. Born to Bite
14. Hungry for You
15. The Reluctant Vampire
15.5 The Gift in The Bite Before Christmas Jan 29/13 ★★★
16. Under a Vampire Moon
17. The Lady is a Vamp
18. Immortal Ever After

A Quick Bite (Argeneau, #1) by Lynsay Sands Love Bites (Argeneau, #2) by Lynsay Sands Single White Vampire (Argeneau, #3) by Lynsay Sands Tall, Dark & Hungry (Argeneau, #4) by Lynsay Sands A Bite to Remember (Argeneau, #5) by Lynsay Sands Bite Me If You Can (Argeneau, #6) by Lynsay Sands The Accidental Vampire (Argeneau, #7) by Lynsay Sands Vampires Are Forever (Argeneau, #8) by Lynsay Sands Vampire, Interrupted (Argeneau, #9) by Lynsay Sands The Rogue Hunter (Argeneau, #10; Rogue Hunter, #1) by Lynsay Sands The Bite Before Christmas (Argeneau, #15.5; Night Huntress, #6.5) by Lynsay Sands The Immortal Hunter (Argeneau, #11; Rogue Hunter, #2) by Lynsay Sands The Renegade Hunter (Argeneau, #12; Rogue Hunter, #3) by Lynsay Sands Born to Bite (Argeneau, #13) by Lynsay Sands Hungry for You (Argeneau, #14) by Lynsay Sands The Reluctant Vampire (Argeneau, #15) by Lynsay Sands Bitten by Cupid (Includes Argeneau, #12.5; Offspring, #2.5; Feral Warriors, #3.5) by Lynsay Sands Under a Vampire Moon (Argeneau, #16) by Lynsay Sands The Lady is a Vamp (Argeneau, #17) by Lynsay Sands Immortal Ever After (Argeneau, #18) by Lynsay Sands

message 15: by Leigh (new)

Leigh | 1145 comments I finished Fantasy Lover (Dark-Hunter, #1) by Sherrilyn Kenyon . It made me realize why I feel in love with this series. I can't wait to re-read the rest of the series.

message 16: by Cassie Cruel (new)

Cassie Cruel (faith_isola) | 28 comments Hmm, not sure if to go with Jen or Leigh :/

message 17: by Cassie Cruel (new)

Cassie Cruel (faith_isola) | 28 comments Also would JR Ward's BDB series fit in? As the 11th book is out in March :)

message 18: by Sandra, Need more time to Read!! (new)

Sandra | 4483 comments Yep, Cupcake Cassie :)

message 19: by Cassie Cruel (new)

Cassie Cruel (faith_isola) | 28 comments Awesome will do that one and will join both Jen and Leigh :)

message 20: by Leigh (new)

Leigh | 1145 comments Cupcake Cassie wrote: "Awesome will do that one and will join both Jen and Leigh :)"

If you want we could do a buddy read on one of the books?

message 21: by Cassie Cruel (new)

Cassie Cruel (faith_isola) | 28 comments Defo, have you read them all before?

message 22: by Leigh (new)

Leigh | 1145 comments Yes, I have read the whole series but it has been a while since I read the first books of the series. I haven't started the second book yet. I hope to get to it next week.

message 23: by Alisa (new)

Alisa | 973 comments I'm in if I can cheat a little. I want to re-read the Black Dagger Brotherhood. Book 11 is out in March.

message 24: by Sandra, Need more time to Read!! (new)

Sandra | 4483 comments Go for it Alisa!

message 25: by Sara (new)

Sara | 860 comments I would like to do the Rachel Morgan series by Kim Harrison.

message 26: by Keri (new)

Keri | 182 comments Jen wrote: "I have been wanting to reread this series for a while now. Here is the perfect opportunity!

Duration: Jan. 1 - Dec 31/13

4/20 Completed!

How are you making your stars when you rate the books?
[authorimage:Lynsa..."

message 27: by Sandra, Need more time to Read!! (new)

Sandra | 4483 comments Keri, the very easiest way to make stars is to cut & paste.

The formula (*rushes away to check, thanks Brandilyn*) is

(without the spaces)

& # 9733 ★ solid star
& # 9734 ☆ empty star

message 28: by Sonia (new)

Sonia (darktalynn) I'm at 38% of the audio version of Dead Until Dark (Sookie Stackhouse, #1) by Charlaine Harris . Is so sweet the re-discovery of Sookie's world. The last books made "our relationship" go edgy and bland... and the character's evolution was sometimes not that good.

I'm falling again for Sookie, maybe this time I'll see her entrance in the supernatural world and the way that changed her in a new way.

And I must say, Johanna Parker is incredible. I only "met" her after book 8, so I decided that the re-reads will be on audio format and I'm enjoying every minute.

message 29: by Sara (new)

Sara | 860 comments I began my re-read of the Rachel Morgan series with "Into the Woods" which re-prints the short stories that were published in various anthologies. The first time I read the series I only read the main books not the short stories so when characters like Pierce, Mia, Art, and Darryl started to make appearances I was clueless to where they had come from. I decided to start with "Into the Woods" to refresh memory on these characters and because half of the stories take place before the first book.

"The Bespelled" - Ceri becomes Al's familiar in this story. In the later books, Al becomes a charming member of the supporting cast so this is a good reminder that he do evil things with no regrets. You also get a nice glimpse into Ceri's pride and desperation that led to her downfall.

"Two Ghosts For Sister Rachel" - The first time I read this story I found it slow and hard to get into. Pierce has never been a favorite of mine. On re-reads, I enjoy it more for the glimpse into Rachel's childhood and her relationships with her brother and parents. Rachel's mom is one of my favorite characters and her appearances are the best part of the story.

"Undead in the Garden of Good and Evil" - Ivy makes the decision to take control of her life in regards to her career and hunger. Re-reading this establishes how creepy vampires are in the Hollows. In the series I read, I think the creepiest vampires are found in the Hollows - not the scariest - that would be the ones in Kate Daniels - but definitely the creepiest with the breeding, the bloodlines, and the mental abuse. Very squicky. I do wonder how the Hollows sereies would have been different if Ivy had taken Mia up on her offer to be roommates.

"Dirty Magic" - A short story focusing on Mia the banshee. It was okay - it gives a nice look into Mia and the frustration she feels in not being able to love someone without killing the person.

"The Bridges of Eden Park" - I enjoy this story because it shows Kisten's protectiveness with the people he loves. It also shows how creepy Hollows vampires can be in their motivations. Giving your son as a gift to a master vampire?

"Ley Line Drifter" - A fun Jenks and Bis adventure.

"Million-Dollar Baby" - I loved this story the first time I read it and I loved it on the re-read too. Trent's motivations are on clear display here - his desire to be a good father, a better person, and to help his race. Jenks is his usual fun self and Ellsabeth is always an easier character to hate. Trent and Jenks bonding was fun too.

message 30: by Dee (last edited Jun 24, 2013 06:19AM) (new)

Dee | 21 comments I would like to join.....After just finishing my re-read of Kresley Cole Lothaire I had already decided to read the whole series again, so can do so for this challenge.

The Warlord Wants Forever ✔ 16.02.13
A Hunger Like No Other ✔ 17.03.13
No Rest for the Wicked ✔ 06.04.13
Wicked Deeds on a Winter's Night ✔ 31.05.13
Dark Needs at Night's Edge ✔ 18.06.13
Dark Desires After Dusk
Kiss of a Demon King
Deep Kiss of Winter
Pleasure of a Dark Prince
Demon from the Dark
Dreams of a Dark Warrior
Lothaire ✔ 31.01.13
MacRieve (Technically not a re-read...Due release July 2013)

Reviews in (view spoiler)

message 31: by Keri (new)

Keri | 182 comments Sandra wrote: "Keri, the very easiest way to make stars is to cut & paste.

The formula (*rushes away to check, thanks Brandilyn*) is

(without the spaces)

& # 9733 ★ solid star
& # 9734 ☆ empty star"

Awesome thank you so much!! Has been driving me nuts trying to figure it out :)

message 32: by Alisa (new)

Alisa | 973 comments Sara wrote: "I began my re-read of the Rachel Morgan series with "Into the Woods" which re-prints the short stories that were published in various anthologies. The first time I read the series I only read the ..."

I still can't think about Kisten w/out my heart hurting. :(

message 33: by Alisa (new)

Alisa | 973 comments I'm getting off to a slow start. I'm not much of a re-reader but I really wanted to try this challenge. I'm almost done with Dark Lover (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #1) by J.R. Ward I'm so glad I'm reading it again. I love it. It was good this first time but I was trying to figure out the world of BDB. This time I can just focus on Wrath & Beth's relationship. Also, Wrath has changed a lot as the series has gone on & it's been to great to see him as he was in the begining. He was not one of my favorite brothers at first but I'm finding him smoking hot this time around!

message 34: by Sara (new)

Sara | 860 comments Alisa wrote "I still can't think about Kisten w/out my heart hurting. :("

Kisten was a shock..even on re-reads...but I think I was more upset about Matalina and Ever After had a nasty suprise that I was sure had to be a trick until I got to the end of the book and realised it wasn't. Kim Harrison has a habit of sucking you in...everything's going great... and then BAM! out of nowhere you are saying goodbye to a well-loved character. I expect this from George RR Martin and Katherine Kurtz but Kim gets me everytime.

message 35: by Sara (new)

Sara | 860 comments "Dead Witch Walking" by Kim Harrison continues my re-read of the Rachel Morgan series.

Thoughts below, possible spoilers ahead...

Favorite quote - “Rings of steel alone canna hold me. I’ve escaped from kings, and sultans, and nasty little children with nets!” The leprechaun cracks me up every time.

I know some find the world-building info dump near the beginning but I love it - I like seeing how this urban fantasy series is going to differ from other series. Genetic engineering/medical research being outlawed, never going to the moon, and the countryside being abandoned by humanity in favor of cities make this series different from the Dresden Files or Mercy Thompson.

Al was much more scary in his first appearance then he is now as the humorous mentor/sidekick.

After dealing with Ivy's freakouts and Kisten being possessed by Piscary, I would have declared the church a no-vampire zone or moved out!

Nick...I never could figure out what Rachel saw in him. She should have never hooked up with him. Probably the biggest mistake of her life.

Matalina & Jenks - The truest love story in the series. Matalina's fate was the saddest moment in the series for me.

Rachel vs Jonathan - The longest running feud in the series begins in this book. I always look forward to their confrontations and can't wait for his return in the series. He's a complete snot but I enjoy him.

Trent - My favorite character of the series. I have been rooting for Rachel and him to become a couple since their first encounter. Like Al, Trent is much more harsher in this book then he is in the rest of the series. The talk of breaking Jonathan? Disturbing. Trent and Rachel's interactions with each other have always been interesting. In their first (adult) meeting, Trent is trying to hire her - and seems to be trying to impress her - while Rachel is adamantly against having anything to do with him. Even when Rachel is captured as a mink, Trent has her in a comfortable cage and is checking with her to see if she likes the music he is playing. The rat fights and the hunt was extreme but Rachel had stolen information that could threaten his species' survival. At the end, when Al attacks Trent he appears to him as Rachel (not seen in the book but confirmed by Kim Harrison). I wonder why Trent was so afraid of Rachel? Because she was able to break into his house on 3 occasions? I love the fact that Trent broke into her house to steal her ring - it's like their continuing a game from their childhood - a tit for tat situation.

I loved the book the first time I read it and I continue to love it on re-reads - it's interesting how much groundwork was laid down in the first book for the plots of the succeeding books: the mystery of Trent's background, vampires & their souls, Al, Keasley, Piscary, the mystery surrounding the death of Trent's parents and Rachel's dad, etc.

message 36: by Sara (new)

Sara | 860 comments I finished my re-read of "The Good, the Bad, and the Undead", the second book in the Rachel Morgan series by Kim Harrison.

Warning, possible spoilers ahead...

"Plan B" makes its first appearance here - "grab and run" improvisation that could be used as a summary of Rachel's typical approach to problems.

I think the descriptions of the witch hunter's victims might be the most cringe-inducing moments of the series. Victim died of "complications of rape" and by complications it means her intestines were pulled out and are currently hanging between her knees. I've read this book at least four times and, without exception, I always wince and cringe at that part.

Al is at his scariest in this book. It's amazing the difference in his portrayal from this book compared to the latest books. Reading the current books you think of Al as charming, funny, even sympathetic. Reading the early books you think of Al as a bloodthirsty psychopath who's going to enslave you and/or pull out your intestines.

Piscary's attack on Ivy - one of the most heartwrenching moments of the series. In the early books, Ivy tended to annoy me but you can't help but feel for her here. Al may be the scariest character in this book but Piscary takes that honor for the entire series.

Glenn is very observant. He was spot-on with his assessment of the Rachel-Ivy relationship: “She wants something. And every time she looks at you, I see guilt. Whether she means to or not, she’s going to hurt you and she knows it.”

I loved Trent and Rachel at the park and at the end with the car. The rat race is brought up a lot by fans but Trent apologizes to Rachel in this book for it. Not that she accepts, and rightfully so.

Rachel's 2 biggest mistakes in the series happen in this book: not dumping Nick when she discovered that he was dealing with demons and not trusting Jenks with the knowledge of Trent's species.

“He rang the bells, too. Once. Before he died.” - A reference to Rachel's dad by Al. I would love a series of prequel novels set from the Turn to the death of Rachel's dad and Trent's parents. I would also love to see more of the world outside of the United States. The book mentions the chaos that the Third World countries fell into at the time of the Turn - what are they like today? So much potential...

Favorite quote - “The wealthy bastard wanted me to work for him or see me dead. It depended on his mood and how well his stock portfolio was doing.”

message 37: by Alisa (last edited Apr 15, 2013 08:05AM) (new)

Alisa | 973 comments I've been re-reading Black Dagger Brotherhood. So far I've re-read the first three & the Z & Bella's novella. (plus of course Lover at Last) I have enjoyed all of them the second time. I liked Wrath's book better the second time around. I enjoyed Rhage's just the same & Z's probably a little less. Don't get me wrong I still enjoyed Z's book but since I knew what was coming there was less emotional impact the second time around. I will say that I still cried through the entire Father Mine novella even though I knew what was coming. I love that novella & I think Ward did a big disservice to her fans & the characters by not including that in Z's book. Novella's, IMO, should be little side stories you can miss if you don't read them. This was a HUGE part of Z & Bella's story. On to Butch & V's books later this month.

Have re-read:

Dark Lover (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #1) by J.R. Ward Lover Eternal (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #2) by J.R. Ward Lover Awakened (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #3) by J.R. Ward Father Mine Zsadist and Bella's Story (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #6.5) by J.R. Ward

message 38: by Leigh (new)

Leigh | 1145 comments I have re-read the first 8 in the Dark Hunter series and I fell in love with the series again.

message 39: by Alisa (new)

Alisa | 973 comments My RL bestie finally decided to read BDB so I loaned her my whole series. I'm on stand still for my re-read now.

message 40: by Sandra, Need more time to Read!! (new)

Sandra | 4483 comments Well at least you convinced her to read them ;)

That's more for you to chat/argue about. LOL.