Talk About It! discussion

41 views
Talk, about pet peeves

Comments Showing 1-50 of 361 (361 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Since I'm feeling a bit whiny today, this discussion is going to be more negative than positive...you have been warned.

What are the things in life that annoy the hell out of you currently?

I'll start off with a few:

1) when my (female) schoolmates act like when a boy doesn't worship the ground they walk on, it's the end of the world.

2) when my (again female) schoolmates go melodramatic about how fat they are when they weight no more than a hundred pounds, when they angst endlessly about their makeup and call themselves ugly (of course hoping that their friends will rush at them and comfort them, "no you're the puuuuuuuurttiest person on EARTH!" --and guess what? They actually do that.)

3) when my schoolmates (both male and female) get happy when they get a freaking C on their test scores. (*raises eyebrows* ...hmmm, that does say quite a bit on how much they value intelligence...sorry, I can't help but think that.)

4) Basically, when my schoolmates act like shallow idiots. Again, I'm sorry...it's really hard not to think that. I don't consider myself to be the smartest genius on earth, but being happy at a C test score is over the top.


message 2: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Terrington (thewritestuff) | 390 comments Well when some of my schoolmates got Cs and were happy I always looked at their ability. If they were not great at the subject and normally got Ds no matter how hard they worked then I'd be happy for that. But most of the time I know they can do better so I get annoyed too...

I get annoyed with shallowness all around. I get annoyed when people don't think. I get annoyed with poor driving. I get annoyed by the lack of common sense around. I get annoyed by a lack of good grammar or punctuation.


message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Amen to that.


message 4: by Gigi (new)

Gigi S. (triv_s) | 4 comments When people put down what you do and are proud of just because they don't do it e.g. Most of my friends don't play sport because they chose to do theatre instead and they're constantly going on about how much more beneficial theatre is over sport and how everyone who plays sport is an idiot. Ugh.


message 5: by [deleted user] (last edited Dec 19, 2012 06:24AM) (new)

One of my schoolmates was shocked that a few girls didn't wear makeup, and started generalizing them in one of the most offensive ways I have ever encountered. "girls who don't wear makeup end up getting fat boyfriends." Yeah, seriously? What the hell. Besides being ridiculously shallow, it's no one's place to criticize the way people express themselves, and if people don't wear makeup, why on earth would they give a damn?

I had that same thing as you did. Since I love to read, it immediately means I'm weird because however could anyone like reading? It's just words on a page, so stupid! Gasp! You actually like reading? *eye roll*

Looking at society as a whole, it also annoys me how more emphasis is placed on other's perception of sand--or what we want their perception to be--and adjusting ourselves to fit that mold, and less emphasis on self respect, self worth, integrity and diversity. That's nothing short of disgusting.


ϮAʛʛⅇℛʊℵʛ {Supernatural Freak} (taggerung) | 142 comments I basically just started wearing makeup a year ago....so before then I was doomed to date someone that is overweight? And what's wrong with that you shallow losers? LOVE. DOESN'T. JUDGE.


message 7: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Terrington (thewritestuff) | 390 comments One of my schoolmates was shocked that a few girls didn't wear makeup, and started generalizing them in one of the most offensive ways I have ever encountered. "girls who don't wear makeup end up getting fat boyfriends." Yeah, seriously? What the hell. Besides being ridiculously shallow, it's no one's place to criticize the way people express themselves, and if people don't wear makeup, why on earth would they give a damn?

Not to mention the fact that they're making a judgement call about overweight people. I can't stand judgement calls or the standards people try and expect that can't be met.

I really think a lot of it is to do with the commercialised world we live in. A world where we become the billboards, slogans and advertisements of products. Relationships, food, jobs, clothes, entertainment it's all become a product to buy. I dislike that immensely. I'd rather be natural.


message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Jonathan wrote: "Not to mention the fact that they're making a judgement call about overweight people. I can't stand judgement calls or the standards people try and expect that can't be met"

Ah, yes, I'd forgotten to mention that. It's unhealthy to be overweight but it doesn't mean you're somehow inferior if you are.

I really think a lot of it is to do with the commercialised world we live in. A world where we become the billboards, slogans and advertisements of products. Relationships, food, jobs, clothes, entertainment it's all become a product to buy. I dislike that immensely. I'd rather be natural.

Same here.


message 9: by Lydia (new)

Lydia ϮAʛʛⅇℛʊℵʛ {Better Dig Two} wrote: "I basically just started wearing makeup a year ago....so before then I was doomed to date someone that is overweight? And what's wrong with that you shallow losers? LOVE. DOESN'T. JUDGE."

I've never worn makeup... so I am destined to get a fat boyfriend I guess :)


message 10: by [deleted user] (last edited Dec 19, 2012 05:55PM) (new)

The Mighty Katara wrote: "I've never worn makeup... so I am destined to get a fat boyfriend I guess :)"

I haven't worn makeup either. I don't plan on getting a boyfriend anytime soon, though. From what I've seen it's a complete waste of time. First: "OMG he's so CUUUUUUTE." 5 minutes later: "OMG he's so MEAAAAAN." 5 minutes later: "That's it, I'm DUMPING him! I hate him!" [insert lengthy angst-session about how much she hates her ex] And believe it or not, i've seen girls harping on their ex for WEEKS. Not because they're depressed, but simply for the sake of whining. Seriously, get a life.

Not that all relationships are bad...but for the most part it seems to be shallow kids lusting after each other spontaneously and arbitrarily.


message 11: by Lydia (new)

Lydia No, I've never had a boyfriend either. I personally think it's a better idea to start dating when you're older than sixteen. People younger than that are not really mature enough to date. As you said, the majority of it is just lust and hormones.


message 12: by Danny, Business Bro (new)

Danny | 194 comments Mod
This is one of the more belligerent threads on Goodreads. Not that I mind, lol.


message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Danny wrote: "This is one of the more belligerent threads on Goodreads. Not that I mind, lol."

'Tis only natural that we have a venting place. :)


message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Jocelyn wrote: "Since I'm feeling a bit whiny today, this discussion is going to be more negative than positive...you have been warned.

What are the things in life that annoy the hell out of you currently?

I'll ..."


when you say "...they weight no more than a hundred pounds..." - how much does that mean that they weigh? In the metric system...

(And I agree with EVERYTHING you wrote in that post! -except number 3, sometimes a C is really good, but it depends on how often the teacher gives out As in the first place.) :)


message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

Jocelyn wrote: "One of my schoolmates was shocked that a few girls didn't wear makeup, and started generalizing them in one of the most offensive ways I have ever encountered. "girls who don't wear makeup end up g..."

No offence intended, but your "schoolmates" sound pretty bitchy.

I don't wear make-up, and while I haven't had a boyfriend before, two guys did ask me out and they were both pretty fit and not at all fat.

Also, when you say " Since I love to read, it immediately means I'm weird because however could anyone like reading?" ... DON'T LISTEN TO WHOEVER SAYS THIS!!! People say this kind of thing to me a lot and I politely tell them to remove themselves from my vicinity before I get really annoyed at them for being so shallow and rude and throw in a menacing glares and such.

And there is this kid at school in year 7, and he likes to read, and sometimes reads at lunch time. Naturally, him being in Year 7 and a guy, the other clowns in his grade are constantly at him about being "weird" and "a nerd" and "a geek" and "so retarded"(which he's not) and whatever other insulting things they can call him. They also exclude him in everything and basically just make his life hell, simply because he is a hell of a lot smarter than them and likes to read. Anyway, one day I got so annoyed by it that I told them all where they could go (view spoiler) and what they could do with themselves there (view spoiler). Anyway, I think I ended up threatening them and they all got scared at the "big mean Emily from Year 10" and that was the end of it. Well, anytime I go near them they are all pretty damn nice and inclusive since that encounter :)


message 16: by Lydia (new)

Lydia Emily wrote: "Jocelyn wrote: "One of my schoolmates was shocked that a few girls didn't wear makeup, and started generalizing them in one of the most offensive ways I have ever encountered. "girls who don't wear..."

Haha, that story is classic :)


message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

The Mighty Katara wrote: "Emily wrote: "Jocelyn wrote: "One of my schoolmates was shocked that a few girls didn't wear makeup, and started generalizing them in one of the most offensive ways I have ever encountered. "girls ..."

I don't think any of those kids like me now. Except maybe the kid I was defending from their evil... :P


message 18: by [deleted user] (last edited Dec 20, 2012 08:47PM) (new)

Emily wrote: "No offence intended, but your "schoolmates" sound pretty bitchy."

That is the world's worst understatement. :)

Yeah, I know not to listen to them. They're too silly to be taken seriously by anyone who has two brain cells to rub together, really.

That story was epic. Me, I might have done the same thing--told them to GTFO and jump into a fire at their earliest convenience--but the sad thing is that they're so shallow it's kind of fun to see them make a fool of themselves. I just humor them for the sake of entertainment. Just when I think they can't get any shallower...SURPRISE SURPRISE, they do.

Here's what I can remember of a conversation I overheard in my school:

"Oh my gosh, she's such a bitch."

*gushes comfortingly* "Oh, don't worry. She's just jealous. She knows you're so much prettier than her, and better...."

*facepalm* WTF. Human worth is. Not. Determined. By. Something. So. Stupid. As. Frickin. Beauty.

As for your question about a hundred pounds...well, I'm a bit too lazy to do the math, but let's just say that their skinniness is proportional to that of Kate Middleton. And they STILL complain about being fat. What the hell.


message 19: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Terrington (thewritestuff) | 390 comments Danny wrote: "This is one of the more belligerent threads on Goodreads. Not that I mind, lol."

I don't know if it's that belligerent compared to some threads I've seen...

I had this odd situation yesterday where I was waiting for the bus and the bus came. Anyway there were two people at the bus waiting together and the guy says something like 'get on first' and as he says this the lady he's with walks forward as if to get on first. And so, trying to be a gentleman I indicated that she could get on first because I was confused by what the guy was doing. Anyway he says 'get on first again' and I thought he was talking to me then. Anyway she was already at the door so I wasn't going to push her away. He jumps up after her and turns around and says something along the lines of 'Don't be smart. When I tell you to get on first, you get on first. She's got schizophrenia, a medical condition!' I mean he didn't say it in an angry way but I was taken aback a little. I mean two thoughts struck me: first I was trying to be a gentleman and not push in on her and second I was also not quite sure whether he was addressing me or her cause he wasn't talking in a way that was very direct. Not great communication by him but I could understand that he's trying to look after someone with a condition (even if sometimes those people with conditions think that everything needs to go their way...). Still I couldn't help but think that he'd totally judged me wrong and that annoyed me. I've always tried to look out and honour other people where possible and I wouldn't be 'smart' to other people like that. I wonder if it's because of what other young people act like that he seemed a little grumpy.

The same thing used to happen with this one grumpy teacher at my old school (she was a grade four teacher). I used to walk through this door and she'd be there and tell me off for walking in her way and that I should respect teachers. Once I may have tipped my hat as like a 10/11 year old to her cause I thought it was a sign of respect and she thought I was being cheeky. Only I never had anything but respect for her. Her accusations made me want to lose that respect if anything.

Another occasion I was walking the dog and I saw a group of people and waved and smiled. I do that 'cause I'm friendly. Anyway one of the guys turns and I see that he's only got one arm and the other guys next to him call out and sort of say one or two abusive words and basically 'what do you think you're looking at you idiot'.

The conclusion I'm trying to indicate is that I really dislike it when people judge me wrong. It hurts a little when you have nothing but good intentions and people tell you to stop being cheeky. I'm only trying to honour you.


message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

Jonathan wrote: "The same thing used to happen with this one grumpy teacher at my old school (she was a grade four teacher). I used to walk through this door and she'd be there and tell me off for walking in her way and that I should respect teachers. Once I may have tipped my hat as like a 10/11 year old to her cause I thought it was a sign of respect and she thought I was being cheeky. Only I never had anything but respect for her. Her accusations made me want to lose that respect if anything."

Exactly! You know those teachers that like to belittle students sometimes? Once one of my classmates got out of his seat to talk to his friend at another table, and the teacher was like, "Hmm...are you lost? Do you need your mommy to walk you around?" And I was like...wtf? It's true that students should respect teachers, but teachers should show some respect to students as well, and acknowledge that kids are not stupid, they are only kids and they will have their moments of immaturity. Not that it mitigates their immaturity, but you don't have to embarrass a kid to teach them a lesson; if anything it teaches them the opposite lesson.


message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

Jocelyn wrote: "...their skinniness is proportional to that of Kate Middleton. And they STILL complain about being fat. What the hell."

I think I just sprained my jaw from it hanging open in shock. How the hell, if they are that skinny, how the hell can they complain? What kind of stupid and pathetic are they??! Especially the conversation you mentioned overhearing.

Some people are just not worth the power of speech - they would be better off keeping their thoughts and ideas to themselves I think. (me included, probably)


message 22: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Terrington (thewritestuff) | 390 comments Emily wrote: "Jocelyn wrote: "...their skinniness is proportional to that of Kate Middleton. And they STILL complain about being fat. What the hell."

I think I just sprained my jaw from it hanging open in shock..."


Yeah I'd love to be that skinny *cough*. Well not really because I like having a more solid muscle build but hey :p


message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

Emily wrote: "Jocelyn wrote: "...their skinniness is proportional to that of Kate Middleton. And they STILL complain about being fat. What the hell."

I think I just sprained my jaw from it hanging open in shock..."


I don't think they necessarily want to be "skinnier" they simply do it for the sake of angst. And because they like it when their friends object to it and gush at them how beautiful and skinny they are. Well, it's kinda mean of me to make assumptions but that's what it seems like to me.


message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

Jocelyn wrote: "Emily wrote: "Jocelyn wrote: "...their skinniness is proportional to that of Kate Middleton. And they STILL complain about being fat. What the hell."

I think I just sprained my jaw from it hanging..."


No, it happens all the time at my school and work too. It's rather irritating.


message 25: by [deleted user] (last edited Jan 16, 2013 04:50PM) (new)

I'm sorry guys but I'm gonna have to rant here. It's going to be a bit rude, perhaps even derogatory, but dang these kids are DUMB.

So today at school, there's this girl. She was complaining about how a guy was so meeaaan to here (omg, end of the world, DUN DUN DUN) and her friend was telling her, "don't give a shit about it! Just act like you don't care."

And you know what the girl said?

She said, "But I DO care."

Her friend asked, "um...why?"

She said: "because he's cuuuute!!!"

FACEPALM FACEPALM FACEPALM FACEPALM

The only thing I have to say to that is this:



Thank you for listening to my rant and ciao.


message 26: by Lydia (new)

Lydia That's why people get upset when someone is mean to them? Because they were so cute? Ok then...


message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

Check this article out. Keely had recommended it on the comments page of his review of Twilight.

http://www.paulgraham.com/nerds.html

It's a fantastic article. I highly recommend you guys check it out.


message 28: by [deleted user] (last edited Jan 16, 2013 05:01PM) (new)

The Mighty Katara wrote: "That's why people get upset when someone is mean to them? Because they were so cute? Ok then..."

Well, actually she was upset more because he was mean. She just couldn't bring herself NOT to care because he was cute and she was crushing on him.

Hence the gif. GET A FRICKIN LIFE YOU IDIOT. I nearly said that to her face...lol. I haaaate listening to this bullshit DAILY at school. Do 90% of American teenagers have brains these days?


message 29: by Lydia (new)

Lydia Ah okay, I get it. Still kind of pathetic though.


message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

Very pathetic.


message 31: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Terrington (thewritestuff) | 390 comments Jocelyn wrote: "Check this article out. Keely had recommended it on the comments page of his review of Twilight.

http://www.paulgraham.com/nerds.html

It's a fantastic article. I highly recommend you guys check i..."


I think American schools are so different with the 'popular groups'. I've never had trouble fitting in with people and having a large circle of friends *shrug*


message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

The Mighty Katara wrote: "That's why people get upset when someone is mean to them? Because they were so cute? Ok then..."

That's a bit sad. Actually, that is just completely ridiculous, and no offence intended but that just shows how shallow the girl was.


message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

Jonathan wrote: "I think American schools are so different with the 'popular groups'. I've never had trouble fitting in with people and having a large circle of friends *shrug* "

Some Australian schools are also very selective and whatnot with their groups...it's why I'm a bit ekked about starting Year 11 in a new school this year, but especially with the whole "Boys hang with boys and girls hang with girls" situation that my sister has reported. Which I hate. Because I seem to get along with boys a Lot better than with girls.
And I'm a bit of a nerd in the grand scale of things :D


message 34: by [deleted user] (last edited Jan 16, 2013 07:49PM) (new)

Jonathan wrote: "I think American schools are so different with the 'popular groups'. I've never had trouble fitting in with people and having a large circle of friends *shrug*"

Indeed. In fact, one of the things the article brings up is: if teenage "stupidity" is due only to hormones, why isn't it universal? Why is it only confined to America? Why are our children dumbasses while the rest of the world is excelling?

You're lucky. Well, I suppose I'm kind of lucky too. I work just fine either with friends or as a loner. I don't mind loneliness when I have a stack of books with me ;) No such thing as loneliness when you're with at least one book.


message 35: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Terrington (thewritestuff) | 390 comments Oh, teenage stupidity is universal, the forms it takes are not. I think a lot of stupidity is altered by peer pressures. In Aus the peer pressure is different therefore different stupid things happen.

Doesn't the Groucho Marx quote go something like:
"Outside of a dog a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."


message 36: by [deleted user] (new)

Jonathan wrote: "Danny wrote: "This is one of the more belligerent threads on Goodreads. Not that I mind, lol."

I don't know if it's that belligerent compared to some threads I've seen...

I had this odd situatio..."


Okay, one, you sound like a sweet, polite guy which is kinda rare now a days, so bravo Jonathan. And two, don't you just hate it when adults class you with other, immature, disrespectful teens? It gets annoying after a while.


message 37: by [deleted user] (new)

Jonathan wrote: "Oh, teenage stupidity is universal, the forms it takes are not. I think a lot of stupidity is altered by peer pressures. In Aus the peer pressure is different therefore different stupid things happ..."

That's exactly how the quote goes (what?! I'm aloud to admit to watching wert Marx Brothers episode I can get my hands on!).


message 38: by [deleted user] (last edited Jan 24, 2013 08:04PM) (new)

Okay, Annoyances here we go.
I hate it when peoples call themselves ugly so other people tell them they're pretty-though some people I've met before are actually dead serious when they say they're ugly. Those are the people with zero self-confidence, who could actually benefit from being told they're pretty.
I hate it when people talk over me, it's just plain rude.
I hate sexism. Who says girls can't play major league baseball or highschool/college/NFL football? If they want to, than let them.
I hate it when people gossip about me-you couldn't find anything better to do?
I hate it when people assume homeschoolers are unsocialized and sheltered-I mean, SERIOUSLY?!
I hate when people try to boss me around-I'm my own person!
I hate it when guys try to flirt with me-I'm not that kinda gal.
I hate text slang-is it THAT hard to spell a word correctly?
And last of all, I hate when people hear I'm a nerd, and assume I love science and/or math. Books peoples, BOOKS.
Okay, I'm finished.


message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

I hate it when peoples call themselves ugly so other people tell them they're pretty...

THANK YOU!! You are officially the first sane human being I have ever met. Congratulations, Livvy.


message 40: by [deleted user] (last edited Jan 24, 2013 08:41PM) (new)

What's really weird is that whenever I write in complete sentences and use words longer than three syllables I'm classified as a nerd. As if being a nerd were bad.

That's one of the reasons I joined GR, where it seems that people are less likely to put you in a box for something so dumb.


message 41: by [deleted user] (new)

Jocelyn wrote: "I hate it when peoples call themselves ugly so other people tell them they're pretty...

THANK YOU!! You are officially the first sane human being I have ever met. Congratulations, Livvy."


Oh...well. *straightens imaginary bow-tie* Thank you:)


message 42: by [deleted user] (new)

Jocelyn wrote: "What's really weird is that whenever I write in complete sentences and use words longer than three syllables I'm classified as a nerd. As if being a nerd were bad.

That's one of the reasons I join..."


Definitely. Most people on here freely admit to being weird, a nerd, a geek, crazy, or all of the above. We're all just plain awesome:)


message 43: by György (new)

György | 180 comments I don't particularly like it when people are excessively manipulative and are low enough to give blatantly unrealistic threats about my possible future career in order to have their way. There is someone like that who I know and I'm becoming increasingly anxious about the start of school next week.....


message 44: by [deleted user] (new)

Unrealistic as in what?


message 45: by György (new)

György | 180 comments I'd rather not repeat the threats here.


message 46: by [deleted user] (new)

György wrote: "I don't particularly like it when people are excessively manipulative and are low enough to give blatantly unrealistic threats about my possible future career in order to have their way. There is s..."

Is this that person?


message 47: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Terrington (thewritestuff) | 390 comments György wrote: "I don't particularly like it when people are excessively manipulative and are low enough to give blatantly unrealistic threats about my possible future career in order to have their way. There is s..."

Just let them know that musicians can have more opportunities than most typical jobs out there. If you're dedicated enough you can work in orchestras or compose with movies. Or anything really...

My Dad was told that palaeontology would not be a good career path when he thought he wanted to study it. He's now doing Engineering as a result. However palaeontologists now earn millions if they're any good so it might not have been the waste he was told it was...


message 48: by Lydia (new)

Lydia Livvy {Just Dance! Just Dance! Just Dance...} wrote: "Okay, Annoyances here we go.
I hate it when peoples call themselves ugly so other people tell them they're pretty-though some people I've met before are actually dead serious when they say they're ugly. Those are the people with zero self-confidence, who could actually benefit from being told they're pretty.
I hate it when people talk over me, it's just plain rude.
I hate sexism. Who says girls can't play major league baseball or highschool/college/NFL football? If they want to, than let them.
I hate it when people gossip about me-you couldn't find anything better to do?
I hate it when people assume homeschoolers are unsocialized and sheltered-I mean, SERIOUSLY?!
I hate when people try to boss me around-I'm my own person!
I hate it when guys try to flirt with me-I'm not that kinda gal.
I hate text slang-is it THAT hard to spell a word correctly?
And last of all, I hate when people hear I'm a nerd, and assume I love science and/or math. Books peoples, BOOKS.
Okay, I'm finished. "


Yeah, I really dislike all of those, especially the sexist, homeschooling, texting slang, and nerd insult ones you mentioned. People have really weird ideas about what homeschoolers do.


message 49: by Danny, Business Bro (new)

Danny | 194 comments Mod
Livvy {Just Dance! Just Dance! Just Dance...} wrote: "Okay, Annoyances here we go.
I hate it when peoples call themselves ugly so other people tell them they're pretty-though some people I've met before are actually dead serious when they say they're ..."


Well, girls couldn't realisticly compete in major league baseball or especially the NFL.

I also really dislike the homeschool bias, especially when people think you're stupid for being homeschooled.


message 50: by Lydia (new)

Lydia I think she meant an NFL for only girls...


« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8
back to top