Bookworm Buddies discussion

Bookworm Chatter > On average, how many books do you read a month?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 105 (105 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Tee27 (new)

Tee27 | 647 comments Lately, for the past few months, I've been reading a book a week ( or so), so I would say I finish between three and four books a month on average, because I've had a few reading slumps/ distractions this year.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I keep an ongoing list, and in the last 6 months I've read from 12-25 books a month. (I have LOTS of time to read!)

message 3: by Alondra (new)

Alondra Miller averaging about 5 per month this year, and that is with some being over 800 pages :D

message 4: by Veronica (new)

Veronica (veraj121) | 2622 comments For me it depends on the book. Ive been reading a lot of chunky reads. So, i could read from 2 - 5 books a month.

message 5: by ZaraS (new)

ZaraS  *book reviewer Until now I haven't kept a track of how many books I've been reading a month because most of my reading was for my degree which I completed last month. Depending on the length of book I may only read 2 or 3 books a month. I shall have to see.

message 6: by Janie, Group Owner & Book Addict (new)

Janie Johnson | 14025 comments Mod
I can read ALOT! Its hard to average it because it also depends on the books, did I like them did I not. or circumstances, such as how often do I have grandbaby. Sometimes I read more and sometimes less. Like August I read 8, the next month I read 12. LOL I dont believe I read past 12 in a month though.

Nice idea for a post Tee!

message 7: by Dustin (new)

Dustin | 2695 comments Yes, great idea, Tee!

As for how much I read per month, I'd say not as much as I would prefer. Depending on the length, how engaged I am in the text, and life in general, I'm thankful to finish two a month. It's usually closer to one, though..

message 8: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl Hall | 516 comments I'm kinda a slow reader, I read 2-3 books a month.

message 9: by J.S. (new)

J.S. Bailey (jsbailey) | 176 comments Usually about 4 or 5.

message 10: by Leonie (new)

Leonie (cheekylover) | 4 comments maybe 7 or 8 depending on how thick the book is.

Rachel the Book Harlot I usually read about 8-10 books per month.

message 12: by Tee27 (new)

Tee27 | 647 comments Tee27 wrote: "Lately, for the past few months, I've been reading a book a week ( or so), so I would say I finish between three and four books a month on average, because I've had a few reading slumps/ distractio..."

Whoa! That's a lot books. My eyes are glowing green lol--just kidding :-).

message 13: by Tee27 (new)

Tee27 | 647 comments @Alondra and Veronica: I'm slowly tring to get into chunky reads. I just have to find the right one to develop an interest in them.

message 14: by Tee27 (new)

Tee27 | 647 comments Janie wrote: "I can read ALOT! Its hard to average it because it also depends on the books, did I like them did I not. or circumstances, such as how often do I have grandbaby. Sometimes I read more and sometimes..."

I know what you mean. I read much faster when I actually like the book, but I slow down a lot when it's filled with too many boring or drawn-out parts.

I still have yet to read 12 books a month, though. That's, like three books a week... That's impressive!

message 15: by Tee27 (new)

Tee27 | 647 comments Thanks, Janie and Dustin :-)!

message 16: by Tee27 (new)

Tee27 | 647 comments So far, it seems like we read 1-2 books a week.

message 17: by Janie, Group Owner & Book Addict (new)

Well Tee I am a stay at home mom and grandma and I dont have a whole lot to tie up the days. When grandbaby is here though he can keep me busy and I read less. But other than that and the normal household chores, I have a lot of time on my hands so I fill it up with books.

message 18: by Veronica (new)

Veronica (veraj121) | 2622 comments Tee27 wrote: "@Alondra and Veronica: I'm slowly tring to get into chunky reads. I just have to find the right one to develop an interest in them."

That's my problem. Most of the books I like tend to be over 500 pages.

Start with the Game of Thrones series.. Those are awesome

message 19: by Veronica (new)

Veronica (veraj121) | 2622 comments Janie wrote: "Well Tee I am a stay at home mom and grandma and I dont have a whole lot to tie up the days. When grandbaby is here though he can keep me busy and I read less. But other than that and the normal ho..."

I understand. I wish I had the time like that.

message 20: by Janie, Group Owner & Book Addict (new)

It really is quite nice Veronica, but sometimes I long to be out working again. Something simple ya know?

message 21: by Veronica (new)

Veronica (veraj121) | 2622 comments Janie wrote: "It really is quite nice Veronica, but sometimes I long to be out working again. Something simple ya know?"

I used to be a stay at home mom and love every minute of it.

message 22: by GeneralTHC (new)

GeneralTHC According to the Goodreads app: 8. I thought it was more, though. ♪♪ I like big books and I can not lie...

message 23: by Dustin (new)

Dustin | 2695 comments Tee27 wrote: "Thanks, Janie and Dustin :-)!"

You are very welcome!

I've got to tell you guys and gals that are reading anywhere between 3-12 books a month: you guys ROCK!!!

message 24: by Janie, Group Owner & Book Addict (new)

Awww you're sweet Dustin!

Rachel the Book Harlot Thanks, Dustin. :)

message 26: by Tee27 (new)

Tee27 | 647 comments Veronica wrote: "Tee27 wrote: "@Alondra and Veronica: I'm slowly tring to get into chunky reads. I just have to find the right one to develop an interest in them."

That's my problem. Most of the books I like tend ..."

I've seen a few of the shows. I bet the books are even better. Going to add the series to my TBR list. Thanks for the recommendation!

message 27: by Dustin (new)

Dustin | 2695 comments You are very welcome, Rachel and Janie!!

message 28: by Veronica (new)

Veronica (veraj121) | 2622 comments Dustin wrote: "Tee27 wrote: "Thanks, Janie and Dustin :-)!"

You are very welcome!

I've got to tell you guys and gals that are reading anywhere between 3-12 books a month: you guys ROCK!!!"

AWWWWW!!!!!! Thank You..hugs

message 29: by Dustin (new)

Dustin | 2695 comments Veronica wrote: "Dustin wrote: "Tee27 wrote: "Thanks, Janie and Dustin :-)!"

You are very welcome!

I've got to tell you guys and gals that are reading anywhere between 3-12 books a month: you guys ROCK!!!"

AWWWW..."

Oh, you're always welcome, Veronica!

message 30: by Janie, Group Owner & Book Addict (new)

Bahahaha Chuck, I tend to like Big books too! heh

message 31: by Brittany (new)

Brittany (crackedx_spine) Five, if I'm lucky.

message 32: by GeneralTHC (new)

GeneralTHC Wow this an old thread. I've read:

9 so far this month, but I could easily finish a few more I have going.

16 in June

19 in May

22 in April

14 in March

13 in February

10 in January
------------------
This year= 103

My best streak over 30 days is 24 from March 27 to April 27

message 33: by Janie, Group Owner & Book Addict (new)

Five is a good amount Brittany.

message 34: by GeneralTHC (new)

GeneralTHC Janie wrote: "Five is a good amount Brittany."

It's probably a really healthy amount.

message 35: by Katy (new)

Katy (katyas-69) | 1784 comments It varies from month to month for me, but I'd say I average about 30 a month, give or take depending on my editing schedule and how much I sleep...

message 36: by GeneralTHC (new)

GeneralTHC Pages read is a much more accurate measurement.

message 37: by Janie, Group Owner & Book Addict (new)

Chuck wrote: "It's probably a really healthy amount."

LOL Chuck I like how you phrased that.

message 38: by Sean (new)

Sean Brennan | 183 comments Just books, not comics or graphic novels since May 2009 I have read 85,000 pages.

message 39: by Janie, Group Owner & Book Addict (new)

Yea I only count full length novels when I add it up.

message 40: by Katy (new)

Katy (katyas-69) | 1784 comments Chuck wrote: "Pages read is a much more accurate measurement."

The problem is that not every e-book has a page count. Most Kindle books have only a percentage, and you really can't trust the page count given on Amazon for them. *shrug* So it's a bit hard to keep track of that for me.

message 41: by GeneralTHC (new)

GeneralTHC Katy wrote: "Chuck wrote: "Pages read is a much more accurate measurement."

The problem is that not every e-book has a page count. Most Kindle books have only a percentage, and you really can't trust the page ..."

You don't have to worry about that if you select the right book when you add it to your currently reading folder; goodreads has that information. It will keep track of that.

message 42: by Illyria (new)

Illyria (illyriab) | 21 comments about 10 per month

message 43: by GeneralTHC (new)

GeneralTHC Janie wrote: "Yea I only count full length novels when I add it up."

Goodreads counts every book you add whether it's 10 pages or 1000 as one book on your stats. That's why I believe pages read is a better measurement. But it still not a perfect.

message 44: by GeneralTHC (new)

GeneralTHC Sean wrote: "Just books, not comics or graphic novels since May 2009 I have read 85,000 pages."

I've read around 40,000 so far this year.

message 45: by Veronica (new)

Veronica (veraj121) | 2622 comments I read approximately 3 - 4 books/month. It all depends on whats going on. Some months are busier than others. I've been able to read a little more now instead of just during my commutes to and from work. But I go through periods where I have to be doing something besides reading so I may stop for a period of time

message 46: by GeneralTHC (new)

GeneralTHC Good point, Veronica: We can't all ways be reading. That's where the average per day comes in.

I divide pages read by days of the year (today is the 209th day of the year) to found how much time I really read verses how much time I thought I spent reading. I'm currently fallen to 175 pages a day. So that means two-three hours a day tops. That's pretty reasonable, I think.

message 47: by Veronica (new)

Veronica (veraj121) | 2622 comments That is reasonable. I used to make my daughters read 1-2 hours a day. Any read of their choice. I need to read more of the Bible, though. A few chapters a day to at least keep my head in the right direction.

message 48: by GeneralTHC (last edited Jul 28, 2013 05:34PM) (new)

GeneralTHC I think so. Especially when you consider the average American watches TV 5 hours a day. I rarely ever watch TV. I thought I was going to start watching UNDER THE DOME, but I guess I'm not in TV habit anymore. I've only seen most of one episode.

For years I used to read at least one book of the Bible every day (all of Job, Exodus, Genesis, etc... in one sitting) and many times I've read the New Testament twice in a week.

message 49: by Veronica (last edited Jul 28, 2013 05:54PM) (new)

Veronica (veraj121) | 2622 comments That is good. I need to get back on the game. I was raised on the Bible. I just been slacking. The girls read on their own. But I used to read it to them from babies. But I don't thump them in the head with it. Just let them know its guide to help them through good and bad times, and we as parents may not be there to help them. But this will guide them in the right way.

Reading anything is sooo important to me and instilled that in the girls. I want them to make their own choices. But the only way they can do this if they are allowed to read anything, and not limited them.

message 50: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Bacon (raggedtig) | 17 comments 2-3 a month. Depends on what I'm reading and if I really like it. If I like it, it only takes me a couple days to finish it while others could take a week or two.

« previous 1 3