2021 & 2022 Reading Challenge discussion

ARCHIVE 2013 > yelhsA's 70 books in 2013

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ashley (last edited Feb 06, 2013 11:54AM) (new)

Ashley | 48 comments Im going for 70 books in 2013

10/70 complete

1. Phobia by C.A. Shives
I received this book last year as a goodreads give away. It was a great book to start my year off with, I enjoyed it immensely. (*****) I'd give it 4.5 stars if that was possible but it's not so I gave it 5.

2. The Weight of Silence by Heather Gudenkauf
This was a side read book for one of my book clubs. I really enjoyed it, I liked the style in which Heather Gudenkauf writes, I enjoy a story written in multiple characters point of view. I'd give this book a 4.5 stars

3. The Time Keeper by Mitch Albom This book was a fast short read. In the beginning I wasn't a big fan of all the characters I liked the main character Dor but he came from a much simpler time, by the second half I did feel different about the other two. Which Is why I gave it (****) 4 stars I might have been generous but oh well.

4. Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore by Robin Sloan

5. The Dressmaker by Kate Alcott

message 2: by Ashley (new)

Ashley | 48 comments 6. Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by Jamie Ford
I know I feel like a lot of books I read for book clubs I don't think I'll enjoy and sometimes its true but this time it wasn't.It told a story of young love, friendship and dedication during WW2. A few parts brought me to tears (not bawling it wasn't a particularly sad book) but I felt Henry's pain and heart ache.

message 3: by Ashley (new)

Ashley | 48 comments 7. Bared to You by Sylvia Day
8. Reflected in You by Sylvia Day

I wasn't a big fan, I had heard these were good and I didn't find them so. I admit it was good enough I read them both I guess but I wouldn't recommend them to anyone. It might have to due with the fact I hate when people become obsessed instantly with each other, it reminds me of teen and pop stars/actors love.

message 4: by Ashley (new)

Ashley | 48 comments 9. Number the Stars by Lois Lowry
I had never read this book, but I needed something from 1989 and I had already read the ever popular a prayer for Owen Meanie, so this was my pick. I didn't read anything about it before I picked it up. I did no realize it was a children's novel or based during war, or that it was in Denmark nothing. I read it in an afternoon while at work and I found it to be alright. I can understand why children would read it in school, a young girl is the heroine, she is smart brave and chances her life for her best friend.

message 5: by Ashley (new)

Ashley | 48 comments 10. Me Before You by Jojo Moyes
I loved this book, I felt so invested in the charaters it was all I could do at parts not to burst into tears at work. (Always a good sign with a book). It left me thinking about what I would do in Will's situation? (view spoiler) It went on my recommend list instantly.

message 6: by Ashley (new)

Ashley | 48 comments 11. The Color Purple by Alice Walker
This was a book that I enjoyed but I thought there would be more too it. It was nothing like I expected actually, it's one of my moms favourite books and I think that's what kind of ruined it for me. I gave it 4 stars because I did enjoy the different writing style and the story that went over 30 years, I do wish it had more of a time line to it though.

message 7: by Ashley (new)

Ashley | 48 comments 12.The Diary of Darcy J. Rhone by Emily Giffin
I needed something light after the color purple so I went with this little novella, i don't really even think it should count but who knows i might need it too at one point. 2 stars

message 8: by Ashley (new)

Ashley | 48 comments 13. Safe Haven by Nicholas Sparks it was much like all of his other books but this one didn't make me cry. 3 stars

message 9: by Ashley (new)

Ashley | 48 comments 14. The Tea Rose by Jennifer Donnelly
I really enjoyed this book, with it's love story determination and awful timing. I loved the characters Fee, Joe, and Nick. I also liked how it had waterfront unions involved and for the last few years I've been working very hard to get into my longshore union.
I gave it 4 stars because it took quite a while to really get invested in the story but once i was 150 pages in or so I couldn't put it down. this might have been a bit easier for my as well if the copy I own didn't have the worlds smallest print.

message 10: by Megan, Challenges (new)

Megan (lahairoi) | 6288 comments Ashley wrote: "14. The Tea Rose by Jennifer Donnelly
I really enjoyed this book, with it's love story determination and awful timing. I loved the characters Fee, Joe, and Nick. I also liked how it had waterfront ..."

One of my fav historical fiction series! Glad you liked it!

message 11: by Kelsi (new)

Kelsi  (essentiallybooked) | 750 comments Ashley wrote: "14. The Tea Rose by Jennifer Donnelly
I really enjoyed this book, with it's love story determination and awful timing. I loved the characters Fee, Joe, and Nick. I also liked how it had waterfront ..."

I like this book too! I read the second one and am still needing to read the third. If you continue one, we should Buddy read the third together!

message 12: by Ashley (new)

Ashley | 48 comments Kelsi wrote: "Ashley wrote: "14. The Tea Rose by Jennifer Donnelly
I really enjoyed this book, with it's love story determination and awful timing. I loved the characters Fee, Joe, and Nick. I also liked how it ..."

I'm just starting the second one now and waiting for the 3rd one to come in the mail next week, I'd be happy to buddy read it with you

message 13: by Ashley (new)

Ashley | 48 comments 15. Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton
I didn't enjoy this book as much as a few of the other books i have read recently, in part I found it to be kind of childish and in others a bit too science-y. What I did like best about reading this though was I was able to share it with my boyfriend whom Jurassic Park was his favorite childhood movie.
I gave it 3 stars but thinking about it more i might bump it up to 4 we'll see

message 14: by Ashley (new)

Ashley | 48 comments In the woods

This book took me longer than usual to read and I'm not sure exactly why. It wasn't that I couldn't read more than a few pages at a time or that I didn't enjoy it. I think it was mainly my lack of work schedule and if I had read it faster if I'd of liked it more. As it stands I gave it 3 stars. I was disappointed in the ending and like other books this opinion might change as I stew about it for a while.