Boxall's 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die discussion

Wise Blood
This topic is about Wise Blood
1001 Monthly Group Read > December {2012} Discussion -- WISE BLOOD by Flannery O'Connor

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Charity (new) - added it

Charity (charityross) Well, what's the good word about this month's selection?? Share your thoughts here!

Leonard (leonardseet) | 24 comments As in Flannery O'Connor's other works, she was able to depict the potential pitfalls in religion. In this book, she also describes the struggle between faith and non-faith for someone steeped in the religion environment. I always enjoy her works. And though I also enjoy Graham Greene, her works are more interesting.

Silver | 311 comments I have been wanting to read Falnnery O'Connor for a while, but I have to say I am left somewhat disappointed in this one. I find it difficult to really get into the story. I do not find the writing that engaging nor do I find myself really caring about any of the characters. There are elements of it that are interesting, enough to keep me reading, but it still falls a little flat for me.

I would still like to give the author a chance, and being that this is her first book I am hopefully that maybe some of her later books to get better.

message 4: by Kathy (new)

Kathy I'm about halfway through and it's not engaging me at all. Plus the main character is so uninteresting.
Hopefully it will pick up? Lucky it's a short book...

Olof Eggertsdottir | 2 comments Finished it yesterday and felt sorry for the character in the end. I know it is a complex story but all I could focus on at the end was the poor woman.

Joe1207 Oddly enough, I finished this book the day before it was picked as the monthly read.
I didn't like this book, unfortunately. It becomes obvious when you're reading it that it's her first book, which is really disappointing.
I've read her short stories and they are what made her famous, so read those if you'd like to pursue her other works. They are superb.

Silver | 311 comments What is with Enoch's odd envy over animals?

Danyellemastro | 170 comments I loved, loved, loved this book! The dark and seedy undertones, a man in a bear suit, a struggle against organised religion...it had it all! Shame she died so young :(

Kirsten | 35 comments I read this in one sitting and then had very strange dreams the night after I finished. I was interested in the redemption theme. It seemed that the main character was finally happy when he gave himself up to the life of constant self punishment. It was like he finally gave in to what he had been fighting for so long and in the final scene the light in his eyes seems to symbolise finally being at peace with that aspect of himself.

I too found some of the images quite disturbing but strangely a compelling read. I have also read Everything That Rises Must Converge - also bizarre but compelling. Not sure if there are any others on the list, but if so, I'm sure they will be interesting reads.

Slow Man | 0 comments This is my first experience with this author's work and I must say I only find the second half of the novel interesting. I only care about Hazel Motes but nobody else. The good thing is at least I was drawn to her style of writing. But I really don't get Enoch. I guess i am just reading superficially. I find the story moves very fast towards the end and she gave us a really disturbing ending. Did she do that for her short stories? If yes, they will be worth exploring.

message 11: by Jonpaul (new) - added it

Jonpaul I'm a little over halfway through and will probably finish it today. I'm on the border of loving it. I can't think of anything else I've read like this. It's also fast-moving and her ear for dialogue an dialect is really keen. She drew a pretty well-defined world that, having loved in the South, I can recognize although it isn't meant to be entirely realistic.

I'm also fond of the fact that she doesn't answer as many questions as she raises. She leaves a lot up to the reader and that's going to be very frustrating for some people, as it has been for me while I've been trudging through Flann O'Brien's "The Third Policeman".

Tearsa (turrsaturrsa) I just finished this, and I have to say that I prefer the short stories that I have read by her. I guess I just didn't click with this one.

message 13: by Tess (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tess Grover (orphicfiddler) Did anyone else watch the John Huston film version after reading this? I was pretty impressed overall with how close the characters in the movie were to their book counterparts, particularly Hazel.

Andrea | 90 comments Silver wrote: "What is with Enoch's odd envy over animals?"

Haha I have the same question. The whole story line around Enoch was so strange to me. I can see why she added it, I think the book would have been less entertaining without it but it doesn't always connect.

I thought this book had a great subject matter with some realistic challenges but in the end I just felt things weren't complete. Maybe she wanted it to feel that way but I was hoping for more of a resolution for Hazel's problems.

message 15: by Dee (new) - rated it 1 star

Dee (deinonychus) | 244 comments Yes, Andrea, I agree with you when you say things weren't complete - I felt it was a very fragmented story, and couldn't see how different parts fitted together. I wasn't surprised to learn that the novel was put together from several of O'Connor's early short stories, which might explain why.

message 16: by Cynthia (new) - added it

Cynthia Paschen | 72 comments To fully appreciate O'Connor, I found it important to read biographies and more about her feelings on organized religion.