Literature & Film discussion

Sweeny Todd

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michael (last edited Jan 03, 2008 04:39PM) (new)

Michael | 13 comments I finally saw Sweeny Todd the other day. I liked it, but it was slow at times, and a bit too musical...

Lets just say it was a great achievement, but certainly it's not for everyone.

The violence was ridiculous, but pretty awesome.

Sasha baron cohen and HelCar were good. Alan rickman was good, although not as good as his portrayal of hans gruber in die hard. Timothy Spall was great, as was Depp.

I had a medium coke and reeses pieces.
You know, E.T.'s favorite!

As of right now, I give it a 784 out out 1000. but that could change.

I know some of you hated it. And I know some of you loved it. well?

message 2: by Robert (new)

Robert | 111 comments I think it's a pretty amazing film, and possibly the best thing Burton has done. Despite the obvious abbreviations they had to make, it's a faithful adaptation of Sondheim's most operatic work, but replacing the penny-dreadful and Brechtian reference points of the play with a more sinister horror-movie feel.

message 3: by Alison (last edited Jan 03, 2008 07:22PM) (new)

Alison This could have been really laughable. I thought it was great. Here's to the bloodiest movie ever than includes characters breaking out into song. I loved it when J. Depp and HelCar (can we officially call her that now?) are looking out onto the busy London street, singing about who they'll mince up next. So, Ed Wood, Sweeney Todd, Edward Scissorhands....all awesome.

You're right--it's not for everyone. My husband got duped into seeing this with me. I guess I failed to mention the singing...

And I had Junior Mints.

message 4: by Michael (new)

Michael | 13 comments when i saw sweeny todd in the theater...
someone had spilled an entire frozen coffee drink on the floor in the aisle one row in front of me.
people kept slipping in it while they looked for seats in the dark.
it was awesome.

message 5: by Sarah (last edited Jan 03, 2008 10:23PM) (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) I'm sorry Michael... Sweeney Todd a "bit too musical"? Are you kidding me? It's a musical. How can a musical be too musical? That's like saying a comedy was a bit too funny. And they cut massive amounts out of the score as it was.

And Alison, "Have a Little Priest" is one of my favorite numbers in the show.

message 6: by Michael (last edited Jan 04, 2008 04:46PM) (new)

Michael | 13 comments I know it's a musical, but there is such a thing as being too musical here and there. Regardless of what the movie's genre is, the music gets annoying sometimes.

I'm not saying I didn't like the music. it was pretty good most of the time.

and btw.. your analogy is a bit off.
music is always music, but all comedy is not funny.

It would be like saying that a comedy was TRYING to be too funny with too many jokes.

and I can certainly think of a couple examples of that. lol

message 7: by Tosh (new)

Tosh | 68 comments Just to put my 2 cents in I thought the film was superb. I know the film is based on a musical, but is it a true story? And if so, how true?

message 8: by Robert (new)

Robert | 111 comments "Todd" isn't a true story at all. It first appeared in tabloids in the mid-19th century, but was a complete fabrication. It was then turned into a popular play (and filmed in the 30s). In 1968, a young writer named Christopher Bond was asked to rewrite the play and did so, making extensive changes to the story, adding the revenge elements, etc. Sondheim saw Bond's version and asked him to help adapt it into musical form. Evidently Bond provided the narrative structure and Hugh Wheeler provided the actual lyrics... The film makes a few changes as well, though I thought they worked very well.

message 9: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) There's actually a book now, edited by Robert Mack, who has taken the old penny dreadful pieces and put them together into one volume. It includes information on how the legend began. Sweeney was actually a minor character in a love story of a girl named Joanna (not his daughter). But the Sweeney story just kind of grew and took on a life of its own.

Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street

message 10: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) And I guess the reason I can't understand the "too musical" comment is because the Broadway version is 95% sung while the movie is probably down to 75-80% sung. I really missed "The Ballad of Sweeney Todd" at the beginning and end, though not so much throughout.

message 11: by Jim (new)

Jim | 45 comments i saw the play on Broadway when it first came out
why I have no idea or remembrance nor do I remember who I saw it with.
I know it had a lot of loud singing and I recall thinking why am I not at the Algonquin or the great bookstore that was on 5th Avenue.
I think the bookstore was where the Frog was spotted in The French Connection.
Does any one know the name of that bookstore? If you went there, you would remember it I'm sure.

when I tell my 12 yr old that Dad did things before she was born, she rolls her eyes and says rather matter of factly "Dad, that was a long time ago."
Every one laughs even me but later on I realize wistfully that she's right in human years terms.

Oh well maybe I'll go see No Country for Old Dudes tomorrow or read Proust and The Squid until I finish it.