Bookmarks Subscribers discussion

May/June 2007 > A Long Way Gone: Memoirs of a Boy Soldier - Ishmael Beah

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 986 comments Ishmael Beah's story of his childhood in Sierra Leone will pull at your heartstrings and make you thank God that as Americans we don't live in the middle of a war ravaged country where our family members are butchered in front of us and our children are abducted and forced to fight in the army. His personal account mesmerized me, yet at the same time I was abhorred by it.

I couldn't put this book down. It's a book everyone should read as a reminder that even in the 21st century, there are parts of the world where the worst kind of atrocities are happening. It's easy to become insulated in our own cozy lives. Yes, we read and hear the news daily, but it's a little more shocking when we are confronted with the horrors that no child should ever have to face.

If anyone watched the movie Blood Diamond, its portrayal of boy soldiers matches Beah's description of life during Sierra Leone's civil war. I found the memoirs powerful and haunting!

message 2: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 986 comments It really is beyond comprehension how children can survive the trauma, abuse, drugs and horror of being pressed into war. That Ishmael Beah came out of this a whole, healthy and mentally stable person is amazing. I would love to see the DVD of the boys moving to the US and would definitely like to read some of the other titles you mentioned. As a mother, I am grateful that I will never have this fear for my children.