Movies We've Just Watched discussion

Zodiac

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mouse (new)

Mouse | 4 comments Am I the only one who thought this was the dullest movie ever? It wasn't grotesquely bad, just a boring police procedural that went on way too long.

message 2: by ScottK (new)

ScottK no you are not the only one ....I really wanted to like it to because I like Robert Downey Jr., any way this was a verry disappionting film. I think I may have fallen asleep.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Yeah, it was slow in parts, but I did like that scene where Jake G. goes into that guy's basement and freaks out because he thinks he's the killer. That was tense. What bothered me was that the movie was already outdated by the time it came out. I mean, didn't they discover who the real Zodiac killer was? And it wasn't the guy they thought it was in the movie?

message 4: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra No Michelle, the Zodiac was never caught.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

I thought it was a good movie..I love movies based on real events.

message 6: by Arctic (new)

Arctic i thhought it was decent but pretty average as movies go.

message 7: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (dwell_ondreams) It was way too long & had long boring stretches. The subject matter was interesting & it had good actors, they just dragged it on too long, I thought.

message 8: by Tracy (new)

Tracy | 14 comments i actually really liked it, but then again i've always loved true crime stories (forensic files is one of my favorite tv shows, for instance), and this movie was probably made more for people like me than for mass audience. unlike, say, the black dahlia, which took the least respected book on the topic and turned it into a fast paced, exciting movie, even if it did tend to veer drastically from the actual facts. personally, i really enjoyed zodiac, although i will give you that it was really slow and methodical. but that's how it was really, and i prefer that to exaggerations and extraneous storylines tacked on to the case to make it more "interesting" (and i had always found the actual black dahlia case WAY more interesting than zodiac when i was reading about them).

message 9: by Jenn (new)

Jenn | 99 comments Zodiac was alright, but I liked The Zodiac better.

message 10: by Dorothy (new)

Dorothy (dmandujano) | 5 comments I really liked the film. I grew up in the bay area during the Zodiac era. The Zodiac killer was my childhood boogyman. I think most audience were awaiting a film detailing the murders. I liked the angle of the movie - from the investigation and the media response. How it affected the lives of all involved. The Zodiac killer continues to be a mystery - one I believe will never be solved.

message 11: by Prabha (new)

Prabha | 11 comments I agree, Dorothy. The way the various angles were presented was intriguing. I enjoyed it, but did find it a little too long.

message 12: by Cindy (last edited Feb 06, 2008 07:00AM) (new)

Cindy (cookiejarprincess) I agree, Tracy. I really liked it, the slow methodical pace was more realistic to me. Crimes aren't solved over the span of a few hours or days. (I'm a big true crime junkie too)

On the topic of The Black Dahlia, I netflixed it and watched approximately 17 minutes of it before I took it to the post office and mailed it back. I've always been fascinated by that case but I have never read Elroy's book on it. Probably never will now.

Zodiac was an interesting case to read about for me simply because I'm into reading about serial killers. Especially the ones who get away with it. The whole pathology of it is fascinating to me.

Hm, now that I have gotten sufficently off topic I'll go now. :)

message 13: by Tracee (new)

Tracee (kickassduke) I thought it was all pretty good, but much too long for having nothing happen. I think they should have either added more, or shortened it.

message 14: by George (new)

George | 951 comments It got some pretty good press, but I thought it was overhyped. There were definitely good moments here and there, but not enough to justify the entire film. All in all, I don't think it's worth the investment in time it takes to get through it. As for the movie the Black Dahlia, that has to be one of the top 100 worst movies of all time. Of course if you don't watch the whole thing, then you'll never know just how low Brian de Palma was willing to go in his exciting conclusion.

message 15: by Jordan (new)

Jordan | 3 comments best movie of last year! Far more than a police procedural imo.

message 16: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrilovescrows) | 135 comments There are two movies that came out pretty close together - One called Zodiac with Robin Tunney - which was really really boring. Which may be the one Mouse is talking about. And then the one with Jake Gyllenhal and Robert Downey Jr. Which was pretty good.

message 17: by Miss Kim (new)

Miss Kim (thatsmisskimtoyou) Dullsville.

message 18: by Holli (new)

Holli I think to enjoy this movie you need to have a well developed interest in the case! I personally loved it but true crime novels and movies are fascinating to me........

message 19: by Ceci (new)

Ceci (CeciAlbiceleste) | 529 comments Oh I loved the film!! The dryness was intentional, it was like a bona fide Seventies cop thriller. I especially adore Mark Ruffalo's performance -- he is one fine actor. I thoroughly enjoyed this film, and intend to buy the dvd soon.