Terminalcoffee discussion

May people touch your food? May People Touch You?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 119 (119 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by RandomAnthony (last edited Mar 02, 2009 09:31AM) (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments How do you feel about, you know, people taking food off of your plate in informal settings? I ask because Jackie mentioned that at a book group people were "sharing fries". I'm ok with sharing, but I must admit that some people take too much and I don't always want disease-ridden fingers touching my food. Sometimes I want my food all to myself, thank you very much.

Although I often snag food off my kids' plates, to be fair.

I warn you...touch my fries, however, and I will hurt you. Or at least pull them a little closer to me.

message 2: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I hate when I see people grabbing food out of bins at the store or off of buffets without using the tongs that are sitting right there. That grosses me out. I have to bite my tongue to keep from calling them names at that point.

message 3: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17346 comments Mod
People could touch my food with their feet if they wanted to. "Disease-ridden fingers" is a concept that has never entered my mind. I like to think that when the super virus comes to wipe out humanity I'll be safe because I've been exposed to everything.

message 4: by RandomAnthony (last edited Mar 02, 2009 09:52AM) (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I'm really not that fussy about people touching my food. I mean the people that picked it touched it and the people that packed it touched it and if I didn't cook it then the people that cooked it touched it, so why am I getting fussy now?

Nanananananannanana! Covering ears! And I'm not even going to think of that feet thing, Sally...although I get your point, so i guess I already thought about it...

I'm really not much of a germaphobe. I'm not coming from the germaphobe point of view on this one. It's more like Buns said about people assuming they can snag stuff off my plate. Maybe the world would be a better place if we could all just grab food off of each other's plates.

message 5: by Gåry! (new)

Gåry! (garyneill) Sharing food is what being comrades is all about!

message 6: by Sally, la reina (new)

Ah, I see your perspective on this RA. But I guess I'm still going to say "touch away" - I don't mind the forced intimacy if you want those croutons off my salad.

message 7: by RandomAnthony (last edited Mar 02, 2009 10:13AM) (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Maybe I'll start taking records from Gary's shelves, too. I've got my eye on a few, comrade.:)

message 8: by Gåry! (new)

Gåry! (garyneill) You said food, not records.

message 9: by Sally, la reina (new)

**touches nose, chases Kate**

message 10: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Oh, Sally.

message 11: by Gåry! (new)

Gåry! (garyneill) There are some good numbers out there about just how much fecal matter ends up on those mints on the way out of the restaurant.

message 12: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Fecal mints.

message 13: by Sally, la reina (new)

We have poo in the "food touching" thread in less than sixteen posts! Go Gary!

message 14: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments i could bait a hook with a worm, scratch the dog behind the ear and then put my hand in a pringle can and shove a stack in my mouth (after first doing the duck lips things with two of them first). i do share food and try things someone offers me off their plate. i am not crazy about licking an ice cream cone after you but i prob would finish the cone if you can't eat it all

amazes me the people who are germy about food but leave their toothbrush in the holder deal on the sink in the bathroom. talk about your nasty's floating around the air in there...

message 15: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments OHHH, HELL NAW! Once someone touches my food or drink, it's theirs. I won't touch it again. It's not about the germs for me, either. I'm just territorial.

message 16: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Of course, if we consider how a large portion of the planet's population has to dig through trash for food, and gets drinking/cooking water from a source very close to the disposal of human waste ....

Well, anyway. I guess it depends on just how hungry we are.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments :::Licks all of Heidi's cookies:::

message 18: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) hehe

message 19: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments i used to work with a weird germophobic lady who always wiped down her phone with alcohol wipies after someone used it. it sorta honked me off so when she wasn't looking i would lick a big slobbery lick on the earpiece of her phone and then go in the adjoining office and call her :)

message 20: by Lori (new)

Lori For me, it's an intimacy thing, like Bun says. Ask first, or else I'll jab you with my fork!

message 21: by Sarah (last edited Mar 02, 2009 11:45AM) (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Forced intimacy bugs me too... A few weeks ago I was in the lobby of my theatre during the show I'd directed and the house manager, a guy I'd just met, came up behind me and started rubbing my shoulders. It kind of gave me the creeps.

Once my husband and I went out to a restaurant with a large group of people. One of our friends brought his new boyfriend, who'd had a couple of drinks at the bar before we got there. I'll skip all the annoying stuff he did while we were ordering our food and waiting for it to arrive... This man I'd never met before reached over and started taking some fries off my plate. Without asking, without my offering. And I didn't really want to say anything because I didn't want to upset his boyfriend, who was a friend. BUT THEN, he picks up a fork, leans over, and starts eating pasta out of my husband's plate! AND, I come to find out later, he tried putting his hand on my husband's leg!!! AND THEN he started lecturing a girl at the table about how rude she was for texting on her cell phone! Needless to say, we talked to our friend about it afterward. And they did not stay together for very long.

message 22: by Sally, la reina (new)

That's crossing the line.

message 23: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments wow, that sounds fun. was he dating perez hilton?

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Sarah, stay away from that house manager. I don't trust him - the shoulder rubbing is inappropriate. Ick.

message 25: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Actually, my friend Jerry is even more flamboyant at times than Perez Hilton! LOL

Picture Perez's attitude on someone who looks exactly like Cillian Murphy and you've got Jerry.

message 26: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments why am i picturing RuPaul then?

message 27: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) I don't know. He's not a drag queen.

Well, not usually.

message 28: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Jackie "the Librarian" wrote: "Sarah, stay away from that house manager. I don't trust him - the shoulder rubbing is inappropriate. Ick."

Jacks, the weirdest part was that Brent was sitting right there! Weird. I know theatre people are a lot more initmate than a lot of other groups, but this guy was just a head usher.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments The guy wasn't respecting your boundaries, or Brent, Sarah. I've had those bad vibes myself from a coworker giving me a shoulder rub.

message 30: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments i have had them too when my male dentist makes me strip down to my boxers when i get a filling

message 31: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Jerry, come home! I miss you!
Photobucket

message 32: by Dave (new)

Dave Russell Good camera angle.

message 33: by Sarah (last edited Mar 02, 2009 12:17PM) (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Dave, stop looking at my boobies. That's too intimate!

message 34: by Dave (new)

Dave Russell No.

message 35: by Gåry! (new)

Gåry! (garyneill) Is that Peter Brady?

message 36: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments or lance bass?

message 37: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Holy crap, these last few posts made me laugh...

message 38: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) I'm shocked at you, King!

Gary and Kevin, you don't think he looks like Cillian Murphy?

Cillian Pictures, Images and Photos

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Man, is Cilian is one creepy looking dude, or what?

message 40: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Which is probably why he always plays creepy roles. But trust me, Jerry looks just like Cillian, only gayer and smilier.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments And... you WANT him back? Oh! I get it, Sarah! He must protect you from unwanted shoulder rubs.

message 42: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Jerry's not creepy! He's hilarious. He just sometimes has really bad taste in boyfriends.

message 43: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I want to talk about this "people touching" thing. I don't mind an occasional hit on the the shoulder or even a fleeting shoulder tap, but a shoulder rub? That's creepy.

Hugging people you just met/only know socially is creepy, too. At least in the American midwest.

message 44: by Gåry! (new)

Gåry! (garyneill) Unfortunately, Sarah, he really looks more like Peter than Cillian, IMO. Heh.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments It depends on the person for me, RA. I am not very huggy, unless I'm with someone else who is, and then it's comfortable.
But I hate hugging someone who isn't comfortable hugging, when you end up in an a-frame position with the only contact being shoulders. AWKward!

message 46: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Hugs and other touching need to be mutual for me. And I only do it if I really feel it. Otherwise it's a handshake. No fake affection from this quarter.

message 47: by Lori (new)

Lori I'm a hugger, but only when the feeling of warm love overtakes me. Only to people I know. Wellll, actually, I did hug someone whose dog just died....I meant it tho.

message 48: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Lori wrote: "I did hug someone whose dog just died....I meant it tho."

This does not surprise me.

message 49: by Gåry! (new)

Gåry! (garyneill)

message 50: by Lori (new)

Lori HAHAHAHAHA!

« previous 1 3