The Mortal Instruments discussion

City of Glass > City of Glass Chp.1 Outtakes

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rees (new)

Rees It took Clary several moments to peel the glamour off the Institute today. It felt as if another layer of disguise had been added to the old cathedral, like a new coat of paint. Scraping it off with her mind felt hard, even painful. Finally it was gone and she could see the church as it was. The high wooden doors gleamed as if they'd just been polished.
She put her hand to the knob. I am Clary Fairchild, one of the Nephilim, and I ask entrance to the Institute —
The door swung open. Clary stepped inside. She looked around, blinking, trying to identify what it was that felt somehow different about the cathedral's interior —
She realized it as the door swung shut behind her, prisoning her in a blackness relieved only by the dim glow of the rose window far overhead. She had never been inside the entrance to the Institute when there had not been dozens of flames lit in the elaborate candelabras lining the aisle between the pews.
She took her witchlight stone out of her pocket and held it up. Light blazed from it, sending shining spokes of illumination flaring out from between her fingers. It lit the dusty corners of the cathedral's interior as she made her way to the elevator set into the wall near the bare altar. She jabbed impatiently at the call button.
Nothing happened. After half a minute went by, she pressed the button again — and again. She laid her ear to the elevator door and listening. Not a sound. The Institute had gone dark and silent, like a mechanical doll whose clockwork heart had finally run down.
Clary took a step back and collapsed into one of the pews. The seat was hard, narrow and uncomfortable, but she barely noticed. They were gone. Gone to Idris, where she couldn't follow. Gone out of her life, taking Simon to where she couldn't protect him. She remembered Magnus saying, "When your mother fled from the Shadow World, it was them she was hiding from. Not the demons. The Shadowhunters." He had been right, and she had been wrong to trust the Nephilim. She had thought the Lightwoods cared about her, but all that mattered to any of them was their precious Clave. Even Jace —
At that thought, her throat contracted and she felt the tears come in a hot flood. She sat sobbing, clutching the witchlight stone to her chest, where it pulsed and glowed like a heart. Jace. How could he do this to her?
"Clary." The soft voice came unexpectedly out of the silence behind her, making her whirl around in her seat. A tall figure stood behind her, arms and legs like long ungainly spokes. He wore a black velvet suit over a shimmering emerald green shirt and a number of brightly jeweled rings glittered on his narrow fingers. There were fancy boots involved as well, and a deal of glitter.
"Magnus?" Clary whispered.
"Clary, my darling." His voice was as musical as ever. He sat down next to her in the pew, his cloak moving around him like smoke. "Are you all right?"
"No. They're gone — and they took Simon — Jace called me and he said — he said —"
"I know," Magnus said. "It was a dirty trick to play. A Clave sort of trick. He has a lot of his father in him, your brother Jonathan."
A day before, an hour even. Clary would have told him not to say something like that. Now she just bit her lip. "Isn't there anything I can do?" she burst out. "There must be some way to get to Idris —"
She turned to him. "But you —"
"I'd have to disobey a direct order of the Clave to take you to Idris, Clary," Magnus said. "I like you, but not that much."
She gave a choked laugh. "What about a Portal? If I could get to a Portal?"
"You can't. The Portals at Renwick's and Madam Dorothea's were destroyed, and I've no idea where any other Portals might be. That sort of information is closely guarded. And I have to tell you, Clary —"
"Let me guess. The Clave has instructed you not to help me in any way." Clary spoke bitterly. "I know how they work by now. If Jace made some sort of deal with them, then they were probably pretty thorough in giving him what he asked for."
"What did he ask for?" Magnus asked, his cat's eyes sparking with curiosity.
"I think he told them that he'd bring them Simon if they could promise I'd be kept out of whatever's going on in Idris," Clary said, almost reluctantly.
Magnus' mouth quirked up at the corner. "He must really love you."
"No," Clary said. "I think he just doesn't want me around."
Magnus muttered something. It sounded like an exasperated expletive followed by the word Shadowhunters, but Clary couldn't be sure. "Look," he said. "I'll do one thing, I'll tell you the name of the warlock who helped your mother. It's Fell. Ragnor Fell. I'll do what I can to contact him, and I'll make sure Jace knows that Fell is the one he needs to seek out. Beyond that, I think Jace is probably right. Stay out of what's going on in Idris — it's going to be a political disaster area."
She looked up at him. The light of the witchlight stone caught the edges of his sharp cheekbones and the gold in his cat eyes. "But Simon," she said. "Do you think he'll be all right?"
"I'm sure he'll be fine," Magnus said, but she had caught the slight hesitation in his voice before he spoke. She said nothing in reply, just turned the witchlight stone over in her fingers, watching the light flicker across the dark green material of her coat. Just an hour ago, she'd been so happy to put it on —
"Simon is something very special, Clary," added Magnus. "A vampire who can withstand daylight. He's not helpless. He may not need your protection. He would do well to learn to use the gifts he has." He stood up, a spectacularly tall and thin figure, dark and spidery in the dim light. "As would you."

message 2: by Panda (new)

Panda (pandaink) | 84 comments Ragnor Fell!!!!!!!!!! thats the name i wanted to know for AGES!!!!

message 3: by Daylighter (new)

Daylighter (pantea13) here's another outtake which i found kinda funny, and i'm also glad she didn't choose it for the actual story:

So below is, in fact, the original version of the scene that begins on page
137 in City of Glass, "Jace looked at Alec steadily. “What’s between you and
Magnus Bane?” In the original version, Jace actually does kiss Alec, more to
make a point than anything else, but the resultant scene made me laugh, made
all my critique partners laugh, and made my editor laugh, hysterically. It
was, actually, too riduculous to work. But since there have been a lot of
requests (mostly from Marcy and Ashley) to see it, here, to celebrate the UK
release of CoG, it is:
--
Jace looked at Alec steadily. Then he said, “What’s between you and Magnus
Bane?”
Alec’s head jerked to the side, as if Jace had slapped him or pushed him. “I
don’t — there’s nothing —”
“I know better,” Jace said, forestalling him. “I’m not stupid. Tell me the
truth.”
“There isn’t anything between us,” Alec said — and then, catching the look
on Jace’s face, added with great reluctance, “any more. There’s nothing
between us any more. Okay?”
“And why is that? Magnus really liked you.”
“Drop it, Jace,” Alec said in a warning tone.
Jace was having none of being warned. “Magnus says it’s because you’re hung
up on me. Is that true?”
There was a moment of utter silence. Then Alec gave a despairing howl of
horror and put his hands up to cover his face. “I am going to kill Magnus.
Kill him dead.”
“Don’t. He cares about you. He really does. I believe that,” Jace said,
managing to sound only a little bit awkward. “Look. I don’t want to push you
into anything, but do you maybe want to —”
“Call Magnus? Look, that’s a dead end, I know you’re trying to be helpful,
but —”
“—kiss me?” Jace finished.
Alec looked as if he were about to fall off his chair. “WHAT? What? What?”
“Once what would do.” Jace did his best to look as if this were the sort of
suggestion one made all the time. “I think it might help.”
Alec looked at him with something like horror. “You don’t mean that.”
“Why wouldn’t I mean it?”
“Because you’re the straightest person I know. Possibly the straightest
person in the universe.”
“Exactly,” Jace said, and leaned forward, and kissed Alec on the mouth.
The kiss lasted approximately four seconds before Alec pulled forcefully
away, throwing his hands up as if to ward Jace off from coming at him again.
He looked as if he were about to throw up. “By the Angel,” he said. “Don’t
ever do that again.”
“Oh yeah?” Jace grinned, and almost meant it. “That bad?”
“Like kissing my brother,” said Alec, with a look of horror in his eyes.
“I thought you might feel that way.” Jace crossed his arms over his chest.
“Also, I’m hoping we can just gloss over all the irony in what you just
said.”
“We can gloss over whatever you want to,” Alec said fervently. “Just don’t
kiss me again.”
“I’m not going to. I have other business to take care of.” Jace stood up,
kicking his chair back. “If anyone asks where I am, tell them I went for a
walk.”
“Where are you actually going?” Alec asked, watching him walk to the door.
“To see Clary?”
“No.” Jace shook his head. “I’m going to the Gard. I’m going to break Simon
out of jail.”

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

lol! that is great!

message 5: by Jazmyn (new)

Jazmyn | 187 comments Haha, wow.

message 6: by Mila (new)

Mila HAHA!! That was great! lol. I love it.

message 7: by Amelle (new)

Amelle Kyre (the_shadowhunter) | 946 comments ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

it was actaully kinda funny
but i'm glad she didn't use it!

message 8: by Daylighter (new)

Daylighter (pantea13) i know right?!! lol i love how Alec says ur the straightest person in the universe!

message 9: by Amelle (new)

Amelle Kyre (the_shadowhunter) | 946 comments Yes i love the fact that hes so sure of his manlyness
he dosent mind the kiss

message 10: by Daylighter (new)

Daylighter (pantea13) YES!! that's one the things i admire about Jace. i like it when guys are sure of themselves and are confident to be whoever they are. he's such an amazing brother/best friend for Alec. i have a lot of respect for Jace just for that scene.

message 11: by TeAndrea (new)

TeAndrea (scarletescape) Daylighter wrote: "here's another outtake which i found kinda funny, and i'm also glad she didn't choose it for the actual story:

So below is, in fact, the original version of the scene that begins on page
137 in C..."

That was hilarious...
I think she should have kept that in, it would have made a little more sense

message 12: by Amelle (new)

Amelle Kyre (the_shadowhunter) | 946 comments not really i think the one in the book makes better sense and worked better i like the way she has it!

message 13: by Icelyn (new)

Icelyn (paramore100) | 88 comments Oh my gosh that was absolutely HILARIOUS! But I agree, it was better that she left it out of the actual book... but it's great that she released it! Just so funny. Jace kissing Alec... bhahahahaha!

message 14: by Amelle (new)

Amelle Kyre (the_shadowhunter) | 946 comments yea !

message 15: by Carly (new)

Carly | 348 comments that would have been so great to keep in the book

message 16: by Amelle (new)

Amelle Kyre (the_shadowhunter) | 946 comments ahhhhhhhhh i think would have died

message 17: by Icelyn (new)

Icelyn (paramore100) | 88 comments I know... it would have been too awkward in the book. It just didn't fit... but like I said, I'm glad she released it seprately. We readers deserved that. ^_^

message 18: by Amelle (new)

Amelle Kyre (the_shadowhunter) | 946 comments yes exactly

message 19: by Carly (new)

Carly | 348 comments haha. totally

message 20: by Mariya (new)

Mariya (cr6zym0nkeyiz) that was soooo funny!

message 21: by Amelle (new)

Amelle Kyre (the_shadowhunter) | 946 comments yep

message 22: by Carly (new)

Carly | 348 comments She should have kept it in

message 23: by Amelle (new)

Amelle Kyre (the_shadowhunter) | 946 comments nah i like the book part better