Armchair Sailors discussion

Group Bookshelves

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Debbie (new)

Debbie Moorhouse Between us, we've added 63 books to the group's shelves. I think we should all be proud of that number :).

But it doesn't stop there. More books must exist! Let's make a concerted effort in 2008 to add books we've read, or would like to read, or think other members would like :).

This is turning into a great resource!

message 2: by Monissa, Deck Hand (new)

Monissa | 87 comments Mod

Where do you want to draw the line though? I have a bunch of 'local' books I could add, but is there any point? And what degree of 'shipness' do they need?

Not being picky, just looking at my books and wondering what to add.

Can there be different shelves?

message 3: by Debbie (new)

Debbie Moorhouse I believe different shelves for groups are on the "to-do" list, but they're not currently available, no. We're stuck with "to-read", "currently-reading", and "read". But I'm not too bothered which of those people add books to :).

I think you could add local books, despite the possible lack of availability. After all, I added that HMS Warrior book, and afaik the likeliest place to get that is Portsmouth! If it has an ISBN, it can go up.

I think if a book has at least a chapter on shipness, it might be of interest? maybe? It is hard to judge. I have added some of the polar exploration books I have (or want) even though sometimes the ships are almost peripheral to the main thrust of the book.

message 4: by Debbie (new)

Debbie Moorhouse There's some fascinating stuff in Farthest North where Nansen admits that altho' the Fram was an excellent ice-ship, she wasn't much of a sailer....

message 5: by Monissa, Deck Hand (new)

I added "Vanished Fleets" because it's "reading for enjoyment" sort of book, even down to the not letting the facts get in the way of a good story,
but something like "Wrecks in Tasmanian waters" doesn't seem like it'd be worth adding esp. as I probably will have to add it

message 6: by Debbie (new)

Debbie Moorhouse Then don't :). Altho' you never know, there might be more Tasmanians lurking in here!

message 7: by Monissa, Deck Hand (new)

I didn't, as you can see

message 8: by Debbie (new)

Debbie Moorhouse :) :) :)

message 9: by Ed (new)

Ed (Romson) | 1 comments Hello all,
I just joined the group, having just found goodreads last week.

I added "the Life of Pi" to the bookshelf. I did so to provoke a discussion. For those of you who have read it, do you agree it belongs on the group's shelf?

For those who haven't read it, I heartily recommend it, surreal and sublime at the same time.

Cheers
Ed Life of Pi

message 10: by Monissa, Deck Hand (new)

Hello!

We're not very talkative at present, as you might have noticed. That's because we're sitting around waiting for someone else to start talking ;)

I haven't read the Life of Pi though, so I can't comment on it.

message 11: by Debbie (new)

Debbie Moorhouse I haven't read it either, but I believe it takes place on a raft? I suppose that's okay.

message 12: by Linda (new)

Linda | 5 comments I have read Life of Pi, and it is one of my favorite books, but it is more of an allegory set at sea. It works for me but it might not work for some of the more literal-minded sailors of the group. (I personally would like to see a group: Literary fiction set at sea. However, it would likely consist of only a few followers!)