What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED!: Children's book probably...set in early 1900s [s]

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alison (new)

Alison (alisonlampley) | 2 comments This book was about a family and I specifically remember one part where the kids would be given a penny to spend on candy. They would all then go to the store, and they would buy pieces of candy for a penny. That night, it describes the girl in her bed looking over her candy. That's probably not enough of the plot, but that's all I remember and I really want to figure out what it is!!

message 2: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 1382 comments I'm sorry. I don't know the answer. I don't usually post replies here in case the original poster gets their hopes up. Oh, but I remember this book too! Really hoping that someone knows this one as I remember liking it.

message 3: by Mads (new)

Mads (vaultofstars) That kind of reminds me of A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, and it may be similar, but I don't remember a part about her looking at candy. Did the girl like to read? Hmm...I wish I could be of more help. Sorry!

message 4: by Lilias (new)

Lilias Is it one of Sydney Taylor's All-of-a-Kind Family books?

message 5: by Deb (new)

Deb | 48 comments Yes, Lilias, it was the littlest two of the five sisters, Charlotte and Gertie, who bought the penny candy, cookies and crackers, and ate them in bed in the bedroom that all five sisters shared. I believe it's in the first book, All-of-a-Kind Family.

message 6: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 28 comments Remember them biting the limbs and then the heads off the little chocolate babies?

Those are wonderful books, and the scenes of the five girls in their shared bedroom were especially lovely.

message 7: by rivka (new)

rivka | 303 comments They were among my favorites growing up. :)

message 8: by Cathy (new)

Cathy There is a part in A Tree Grows in Brooklyn where Francie and Neelie take scrap metal of some sort to a guy and then they (or at least Francie) goes to the candy store with her pennies and buys candy. Later, it describes her sitting in their flat and she was looking over her candy.

message 9: by Corbett (new)

Corbett | 23 comments Was some of the candy the girl got gummi bears? It sounds familiar, but I can't remember who wrote it or the title. I know I read this book too. Sorry, I'm not much help.

message 10: by Laura (new)

Laura (laurahogan) | 71 comments Um...the answer is already posted below. As those posters pointed out, this is one of the All of a Kind Family books.

message 11: by Alison (new)

Alison (alisonlampley) | 2 comments Thank you guys so much! When you said Charlotte and Gerti that brought it all flowing back. I can't wait to head to the library :)