To Kill a Mockingbird To Kill a Mockingbird question

Who is your favorite character?
Paola Paola Dec 12, 2012 09:21PM
Mine would have to be either Scout because she is sweet, innocent and smart and it's funny to see how she tries to understand what is going on around her. Or Atticus because he is strong and fights for what he believes in even when(almost) everyone was against him.

Scout without a doubt! Little kid with a big heart.

Atticus Finch is not just my favourite in this novel, but he is one of my all time favourite characters in all the books i have read so far. Yes, as Paola rightly said, he is strong and fights for what he belives is right. But more than that, i like him for the kind of father he is, the kind of husband he is and for the strength of character that makes him what he is. The polite and unobtrusive manner in which he gently avoids the lady neighbour who has a romantic interest in him speaks volumes of his kindness. Basically a quiet man who lets his actions speak louder than his words, Atticus Finch is a true hero. Its been years since I read the 'Mocking Bird', and over the years have met hundreds of other literary protagonists, but still Atticus Finch is as adorable today, as he was when i got to know him for the first time.

Anna one more here. He is absolutely an icon.
Jun 19, 2022 06:18PM · flag

Atticus Finch, hands down! As an attorney and an author of legal thriller fiction (Betrayal of Faith & Betrayal of Justice), I loved this novel. It had a lot to do with my becoming a lawyer. We are frequently criticized or ridiculed (how many lawyer jokes do we know?) but only until we are needed. In Mockingbird though, the only character who understood "justice" and was willing to fight for it, at great personal risk, was Atticus Finch. Even the judge was a bigot. "Stand up, your father's passing" is one of my all time favorite quotes. This is a book that recognizes a lawyer's societal role in promoting citizen justice against anti-justice forces, wherever they may rear their ugly heads. I agree with Diana-Atticus is my literary hero.

Atticus and Boo are my two favorites.

I love Scout, because she questions everything. She sees the world around her, knows things are just the way they are, yet questions why they have to be that way. She wants to know why discrimination between races, classes, and sexes is so pivotal to their culture, and she wants to try and change it.

Darragh (last edited Dec 03, 2019 03:43AM ) Dec 03, 2019 03:41AM   1 vote
Nobody has said Jem. He is my favourite character and an under rated one at that. His progression of maturity is absolutely supurb. He is an excellently respectful of people’s individual situations, for example Walter Cunningham. Scout beat him up for not having lunch so Jem invites him to lunch at the Finch’s.

U 25x33
Beata McGhee Yes, I completely agree with this. I find the other characters (say Atticus or Scout) a bit too good to be true.
Dec 19, 2021 11:40AM · flag

Scout is my favorite, because her voice as the narrator is lovely. Harper Lee communicates a strong, Southern tomboy with grace. And Gregory Peck is perfectly cast as Atticus. I listen to his voice and melt every time I watch the film.

I love Atticus for he's a great father and an even greater person. He's my literary hero! I also felt a great attachment to Jem because I felt like I could relate to him the most.

Atticus, with Scout close behind.

atticus forever and always ❤️

the ham costume (lol nah atticus of course he's just such a dynamic and well rounded character and he has my heart)

I like Boo Radley...... he show cases his kind heart at the end of the book!

My two favorite characters were Atticus and Boo, for the reason that Atticus showed the kids to be respectful and to be in others people shoes so they could understand their reasons and a very polite person. Now, I liked Boo because he was very hard to read, I really wanted to know what he had gone through and what he actually felt being mistreated by all the false assumptions.

I have to say that it would be Boo! He is so misunderstood by society, but yet a little girl has figured out that he needs to be protected! I think his father was trying to be protective, but he didn’t know how or understand what to do or in the right way. He was more worried about how society would view them and he didn’t know how to handle that. I just love this book because of what it represents about the good and bad of society!

Atticus was stability through and through - loved him!

I love Atticus :-)

Lol I changed my mind! Probably Boo Radley, because he cared for the Finch kids, even with the terrible rumors and things they believed about him. He gave them gifts and took care of them even when they thought he was violent and kind of crazy.

Also Scout, for her curiosity and child-like perspective.

Maudie

Atticus is my number 1!!! He is calm, I think this is obviously that he is awesome. I know someone like Atticus, this is my colleague from customwriting! Tim, hello! :D
I like that kind of person, wanna be like Atticus or my colleague Tim)

Atticus through Scout's voice was the best character. I suppose Atticus might have come across too opinionated to strike a right balance of this book if it weren't through Scout. The blooming romantic relationship btw Scout and Boo was lovely to watch.

Atticus <3

I've always identified with Scout. I read early like her, and my dad was a strong father figure like Atticus.

Atticus Finch, he's such a good father and is just!

I cannot separate Atticus Finch from Gregory Peck. Thanks to both Harper Lee's writing and Gregory Peck's portrayal, Atticus is one of my all time favorites.

Probably the bag of nuts.

Atticus and Scout. I especially love their dynamic.

It would have to be Boo and Dill they were the unsung heroes of the book. Boo with saving Scout and Jem and Dill being the hero of humor bring more light onto the little things

I'd have to say Atticus Finch is my favorite character. I love how throughout all his problems he was still a calm person. He had an excellent parenting style. He knew exactly what to say anytime Scout or Jem needed some guidance. He showed great morality, compassion, and love. He also followed his beliefs no matter the amount of people doubting or hating him for it. His politeness and manners towards the most hateful people is an excellent quality of his character.

Definitely Atticus!

1. Scout
2. Jem
3. Atticus
4. Dill
5. Tom Robinson

Atticus and Boo Radley were my two favorite characters in the book. I enjoyed Atticus because he was educated and respected everyone in Maycomb. He taught his children right from wrong and never taught them to discriminate against another race. I got attached to Boo Radley because he was a mysterious sweetheart and saved Scout and Jem from being killed.

Atticus has the greatest moral compass in the history of ever. But as a woman, I love Scout and her take on being a woman, which is none, she doesn't get why it has to be any different than being a man. She, as a little girl, thinks it should be alright for her to dress however and play whatever, and I agree. I think Atticus raised her amazingly, better than Jem. So her.

atticus and then scout.

I think I might have to go with Miss Maudie, who is both kind, quick-witted, persistent at hard times, and good at gardening.

I liked Boo Radley, the old lady who lives next door, and Scout.

I think my favourite character is Atticus for obvious reasons. However I do like Scout as well

I love all member of Finch including Atticus, Scout, and Jem.

Scout but Dill is probably my second favorite. So many great characters in this book.

Atticus Finch is the character I most respected and admired. He exemplified calm, compassion, living according to his moral beliefs in the face of tremendous pressure, and set an outstanding example to his children with love. I most enjoyed the character of Scout, her independence and spunky spirit. I watch this movie at least once a year and have read the book several times. Atticus has been my role model in life. I call my car "Scout"!

Tom Robinson was my favorite character. He is in some ways a more believable character as Uncle Tom, but still virtuous to the core.

Atticus for his parenting style, morality and strong conviction in truth and justice. Absolute model in moral courage, patience and authentic humility. For me his biggest virtue is his empathy - to consider things from the other people's view - which he always teaches to his children by his own example.
Favourite quote:
“Jem, see if you can stand in Bob Ewell’s shoes a minute. I destroyed his last shred of credibility at that trial, if he had any to begin with. The man had to have some kind of comeback, his kind always does. So if spitting in my face and threatening me saved Mayella Ewell one extra beating, that’s something I’ll gladly take. He had to take it out on somebody and I’d rather it be me than that houseful of children out there. You understand?”

I love Atticus, of course. I also really liked Boo Radley, particularly at the end of the book.

I love Atticus. He is a great father, and he is calm and reserved, but definitely not afraid to stand up for what he believes in.

Philip Marlowe by Raymond Chandler
.... and Neal Cassady by Jack Kerouac

A Aug 07, 2020 06:22AM   0 votes
I think the amalgamation of all the characters and their dynamics with each other was what made this book what it is. I mean Atticus alone was a reader liked to sit and read his newspaper, when Jem or Scout asked him their doubts that is the time we see Atticus realize that his children have thoughts which surprise him. We saw Jem grow up and try to follow his footsteps. We see Scout trying to be headstrong and stick to things what she thinks is right. We start sympathizing with Aunt Alexandra. We love Ms. Maudie. We realize Boo Radley is a gentle soul. We connect with Tom Robinson. We think of Calpurnia as one of us. I could go on and on. But what I meant to say is that the character interacted with each other in such a way that the author could bring out the best and the worst in them and that is why we end up loving or hating a character.

Atticus.... so much soo that i've decided if i were to have kids later in my life i would name him Atticus!

and of course Boo Radley.....
this novel just reminds me of my own childhood, summers on the countryside and stealing sweet potatoes from the village's old witch, running like hell, when we thought we saw her looking at us through her window!!!

My favorite character is Atticus Finch because he is wise, and knows what is right, he has patience. He is not egoist, and does not care what other thinks. He is for me THE MAN! Btw a great father... etc. so summa summarum he is perfect

Paola wrote: "Mine would have to be either Scout because she is sweet, innocent and smart and it's funny to see how she tries to understand what is going on around her. Or Atticus because he is strong and fights..."
Mrs.Dubose!😭I cried when she died

atticus and boo

« previous 1