College Students! discussion

Past Discussions of Group Reads > When You Are Engulfed in Flames--NO Spoilers

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) | 4407 comments Mod
no spoilers here..

message 2: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

Has anyone ever read any Sedaris before? Are you excited to either read him again or read him for the first time?

I read Holidays on Ice before. I thought it was funny. I'm definitely excited to read more of him. I've heard that alot of his books overlap the same stories..is this true..? for any of you who have read alot by him.

message 3: by Lynn (new)

Lynn I've never read Sedaris, but I'm excited to do so. I've heard really good things about him (they say listening to him read is even better so I'll have to go find an audio clip somewhere). A couple friends with very good taste said they loved this book.

message 4: by Tami (new)

Tami | 3103 comments Mod
I have read Me Talk Pretty One Day. Funny title caught my interest. It was good, not great, but there were some great parts. Hopefully this one is as entertaining.

message 5: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (last edited Mar 01, 2009 05:32PM) (new)

I've been wanting to read Me Talk Pretty One Day for a while..

Lynn..I've also heard alot of people recommend getting his stuff on audio because it's funnier that way. I just may do that for this one and listen to it on my way to work in the mornings. I've never done an audiobook before..so i'm not sure how i'll like it.

message 6: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 143 comments i've never done audio before but i see that they have it on Itunes. i might try with this one.

message 7: by April (new)

April (booksandwine) I've read Naked, Me Talk Pretty One Day, Dress Your Family in Courderoy and Denim, and Holidays On Ice, needless to say, I am fairly excited, I LOVE David Sedaris!!

message 8: by Paula (new)

Paula | 101 comments I've read most of his books, and I also enjoy listening to him when he contributes to "This American Life". I actually read "When you are Engulfed In Flames" earlier this year. It's very good, although it seems to have a more somber tone than many of his other books.

message 9: by R (new)

R (feste) I've listened to his Live at Carnegie Hall recording and, like Paula, I've heard him on This American Life- so I can testify that I enjoy listening to his readings. He's really sweet! I'm looking forward to reading this, as soon as the unknown person who has borrowed the local library's sole copy returns it...

message 10: by Lynn (new)

Lynn yeah that's my frustration right now.. the library only has like 2 copies (and one is Large Print) and of course they're both out. grr.. I may be late in reading this one.

message 11: by Annie (new)

Annie Hartman (anniebananie) | 242 comments Blegh.. I dont care for this book :(

message 12: by Annie (new)

Annie Hartman (anniebananie) | 242 comments im forcing myself to read this.. i think it might be getting better but its still not my favorite.

message 13: by Anna (new)

Anna Shumaker (annashu) I find I can only read a few stories at a time...several are endearing but on a whole I'm not incredibly impressed...then again I've never been a huge fan of Sedaris

message 14: by Annie (new)

Annie Hartman (anniebananie) | 242 comments I dont get it.. a couple of the stories seem to like go together.. then i get to one that has nothing to do with anything.
I hate books that have tons of different stories. So annoying.

message 15: by Tami (new)

Tami | 3103 comments Mod
Annie, you probably won't like any of his books then. I am about half way through Engulfed and it is very similar to Me Talk Pretty One Day.

message 16: by Annie (new)

Annie Hartman (anniebananie) | 242 comments blegh. thanks for the heads up. i think im done with sedaris.

message 17: by Tami (new)

Tami | 3103 comments Mod
I finished last night. I liked it enough to be entertained but I think I enjoyed Me Talk Pretty One Day more.