Blade Runner Blade Runner discussion

Versus Dick's Novel

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Aaron (new)

Aaron I've been listening to this audio tape adaptation of Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep. It seems very well-written, but I am wondering how it compares to Dick's source book. Anyone know?

Larry Great film, decidedly average book!

Larry Thats Hollywood for you, taking the essence of a book and using that to base a film on! In this instance it worked, even tho its not faithful to the book! Watch out for Ubik- coming to a cinema soon...

Simon I have to say I disagree. While it's not my favourite of Dick's novels, it's still much better than the film (IMHO). The film left out many important aspects of the novel out, including the humour, and many great scenes.

When I see the film now, it feels far more dated than the novel does (despite being published around 14 years beforehand).

Larry Yes but Simon you think Dune is a good sf book ;)

Larry Maybe a good fantasy book perhaps but I preferred the film!

Simon I haven't even read Dune!

message 8: by uh8myzen (last edited Apr 17, 2011 05:39PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

uh8myzen Personally, I agree with Simon because I loved the movie, but I thought the book was much better.

I thought the movie missed the mark somewhat thematically... which I thought the book did marvellously. It was pretty much one of his favourite topics though.

But then, I would take a mediocre book over a good movie any day.

message 9: by Andreas (last edited Jul 28, 2011 05:01AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Andreas Muri I have to agree with Simon on this one, the movie lacked a lot of the depressing atmosphere of the book and also seemed to simplify the book too much. The movie concentrated too much on the action around the retiring of androids, something which the book does not lay as much weight on.
I loved the book and the questiones it made me think about. One of the few problems I did have with the book was how the main character falls in love, seemingly out of nowhere. Maybe it is a projection of is empathy for androids and not really love. It still seemed to happen to fast in my opinion.
Maybe this point was dealt with better in the book, but here it is rather pure love more than the empathy for androids that we see in the books.

For me I guess it comes down to this;
The book gives me more than just a "action" story, it posed questions to me that I really liked to think about. And it gave me a few hearth wrenching moments(Like the mutilation of the spider combined with the TV set talk about the planets religion).
The movie on the other hand gave me just an action story, adding the little mystery of: "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does?"

Mr.Jamie Agree with Simon. I personally was not a huge fan of the film.

David Book and film are two different things: compare the barren earth of the book to the over-populated city of the film, for instance!

Larry Film rules, end of!

message 13: by John (new) - rated it 4 stars

John Walsh The movie is outstanding, and a landmark in art direction. What some have missed is that it's much more than that. Just because it uses visuals to tell the story doesn't mean there isn't a lot of heart and meaning in this movie. I think it's very densely-layered in terms of meaning, just as it is visually-layered.

But...

BLADE RUNNER is a case of Hollywood buying a book and extracting things from it. What's on the screen simply has little relation to the book, in terms of location AND meaning. The whole subplot about the other police station, which is one of the most important parts of the book, isn't used, and thus that layer of unreality is gone. Sure, there are hints that Dekkard is a replicant in the movie, but I find that way too cutesy--Is he? Or ISN'T he????--and the SUBSTANCE of that, of what it would mean, isn't dealt with at all.

Dick thought the androids were horrible and anti-human, while the movie uses the replicants as a stand-in for any group considered inhuman by the masses. It's a complete distortion of the book.

The whole mood organ thing, and the TV show, and the sheep, the ending--all tossed aside. I'm convinced that if someone made a new, accurate adaptation, you could show it to folks who've seen BLADE RUNNER and they might say "This is a little like BR," but not even know it was the same source material.

Someone once joked "BLADE RUNNER was based on one paragraph of DO ANDROIDS...?" and he was almost right.

Larry People should know better than to compare films to books!!

message 15: by John (new) - rated it 4 stars

John Walsh Larry,

Why would one NOT compare the film to the book from which it was derived? I'd think there was something wrong with them if they didn't. It's not like there isn't a relationship between the two.

Larry Its only a tenous relationship, but people watch a film and are disappointed because its not the same as the book! Well one should expect that!

message 17: by John (new) - rated it 4 stars

John Walsh Larry,

You're right, but after awhile I do think some folks get some perspective and don't go expecting THEIR vision of the book on the screen (I know, I'm being too optimistic). I can only speak for myself, but when I hear a movie is being based on a book I like, I (a movie lover) don't go all wild, but I do get intrigued as to what someone's going to do with the material. I read DO ANDROIDS... long after I saw BLADE RUNNER so I was in no way disappointed, but after reading the book I saw all that could have been, and maybe will be. But I am glad to have Ridley Scott's version, because it's just that--a version, not a perfect translation.

Someone once said you should only make movies from good books, not great ones, and I agree with that. But of course, they'll keep making movies from books that shouldn't be made into movies Because It's There.

Larry Theres two worlds- the real world and Hollywood!

message 19: by John (new) - rated it 4 stars

John Walsh Larry,

Well, there is also the world of the novel.

What's with all the exclamation points--are we fighting? (kidding)

Larry I dont know! They just appear!
!

message 21: by John (new) - rated it 4 stars

John Walsh LOL!

Larry !! !!! !! !!! !! !!! !! !!! !! !!!

Henry I think the OP was asking about the audio tapes either way

Donovan F. The film leaves out half the story, adapting only the actions of the characters. Putting in Ford's narration in order to tie it together.
The lost half, the core of the original story, a warning to those who have given up hope and have surrendered to their individual biological fate. Creatures, man made or heavenly made seek out their makers...if only they respect them.

Andreas Muri Haha Henry you're right, we managed to derail his thread pretty good toh. Feel kinda silly now, ignorant of me.

Henry I feel kinda bad for the OP now. Never finding out about the audio tapes.