The Next Best Book Club discussion

Group Read Discussions > Water For Elephants

Comments Showing 1-50 of 56 (56 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori (tnbbc) | 10125 comments Mod
Hi everyone.
Please do not post spoilers here.

message 2: by Robin (last edited Mar 01, 2009 05:04AM) (new)

Robin (robinsullivan) | 997 comments This is one of my newest favorite books - I really liked the technique of alternating between the old man in the nursing home and his life with the circus. I really fell for the main character and was genuinely concerned with his well being.

message 3: by Wendy T (new)

Wendy T I found this amazing to read. LOVED IT

message 4: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 437 comments I just requested this book from my library. Hopefully it comes soon!

message 5: by Catamorandi (new)

Catamorandi (wwwgoodreadscomprofilerandi) | 1045 comments I thought it was a great book. I totally loved it! I also agree with Robin.

message 6: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

ok, I have a question that I hope wont spoil the book. I heard that there was animal abuse in this book, that made it difficult for some people to read... is that true? Or do I have two books mixed up?

message 7: by Robin (new)

Robin (robinsullivan) | 997 comments Lori wrote: "ok, I have a question that I hope wont spoil the book. I heard that there was animal abuse in this book, that made it difficult for some people to read... is that true? Or do I have two books mixed..."

The circus in the book is a "rundown" circus and there are some abuses of the animals. For me it was not "hard to take" it seemed to fit the gritty reality of the world the book is set in. So I think you are recalling the correct book - but I wouldn't let that dissuade you from reading it.

message 8: by Vicki (new)

Vicki I have heard so many good things about this book from some of my co-workers. I can't wait to get started.

message 9: by Susan (new)

Susan (mrsfun) I absolutely love this book. OK, I won't put any spoilers here, but there is one part I did not particularly like which caused me to not give it 5 stars, but if there was a 4-3/4 star available I would have given it that!
I agree that while there is some animal abuse, it is within context & setting of the historical realm of the book. I think of it this way, while I do not like nor condone it, it would not keep me from reading a great book. (Think holocaust, or serial killers, or pedophiles, etc.)
Just try to read it for what it is. The characters are colorful, the storyline rich, and the ending left me with a smile.

message 10: by Joanie (new)

Joanie | 714 comments I agree, don't let the portion that describes animal abuse keep you away from the book. It's upsetting but it's brief and it's certainly not taken lightly in the book.

I listened to some of the audio version of this book-it was fantastic. There are two narrators for Jacob, one when he's in his 90s and one when he's in his 20s. The narrator for his 20s is the same guy who narrated Henry's part in The Time Traveler's Wife who was awesome and the man who did the older Jacob narration makes it all so much more poignant-I loved it.

message 11: by Robin (new)

Robin (robinsullivan) | 997 comments While I don't do much with "audio", I love the idea of different voices for different characters. I heard the Gursney Potato Peel Pie Society was really good in audio.

-- Robin (31 days until Avempartha)

message 12: by Robin (new)

Robin (robinsullivan) | 997 comments Susan wrote: "I absolutely love this book. OK, I won't put any spoilers here, but there is one part I did not particularly like which caused me to not give it 5 stars, but if there was a 4-3/4 star available I w..."

Oh Susan, Come over to the spoiler section and tell me the part that knocked it down - I want to know if it is the same part that upset me.

message 13: by Rebbie (new)

Rebbie | 140 comments I also loved the book and heard Sara Gruen talk about how it was written. She said she had been working on another book and then read something about the circus in the 30s. She was off on her research and Water for Elephants was born. She's a real animal lover and has horses and goats, some others, on her property.

message 14: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrisa-uk) I just started this book this afternoon - only a couple of chapters in but I think I'm going to like it!

message 15: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

I am going to buy this on my next trip to Borders....

message 16: by April (new)

April (booksandwine) | 954 comments I need to buy this book! I'm going to check the Salvation Army and some local used book stores. If I don't find it there I think I'm going to order it. This book has been on my TBR for so long.

message 17: by Shannon (new)

Shannon | 79 comments This book was great and I'm so glad I finally read it. I agree with the other posters on the animal abuse portions, definitely do not let it disuade you from reading. They were a little tough to read, but were unfortunately a reality in that time period. Excellent story!

message 18: by Jaime (new)

Jaime | 163 comments I just got my kindle the other day...I think this will be the first book I buy for it!!!

message 19: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Can you beleive that I went to Borders to get Water for Elephants and they didnt have it!!! How can they not have it???

message 20: by Vicki (new)

Vicki I read the prologue and chapter one last night, I was drawn into it... unfortunately I had to go to sleep.

message 21: by Susan (new)

Susan (mrsfun) Jaime, Did you buy the new Kindle 2 or the original? I'm curious about it and have been tossing around the idea of getting one. W4E would be a great first book to buy for it.

message 22: by Robin (last edited Mar 04, 2009 08:42AM) (new)

Robin (robinsullivan) | 997 comments Lori wrote: "Can you beleive that I went to Borders to get Water for Elephants and they didnt have it!!! How can they not have it???"

Actually - No I can't - I'm very surprised by this - I've seen it at many Border's I've been at for signings with hubby.

-- Robin (27 days until Avempartha)

message 23: by Jaime (new)

Jaime | 163 comments Susan-My mom and my best friend bought it for me for my b-day/x-mas present and they had bought the first one...but then it was backordered and then upgraded to the second one. I was psyched...

message 24: by Marisa (new)

Marisa (psyko_kittie12) | 117 comments I LOOOOVE this book!!!!

message 25: by Leah (new)

Leah (ling_ling) | 226 comments I was worried I wouldn't like it .. that i'd be disappointed by the hype but I actually really loved it and I plan on recommending it to my Mom as well!

message 26: by Danielle (new)

Danielle Susan wrote: "Jaime, Did you buy the new Kindle 2 or the original? I'm curious about it and have been tossing around the idea of getting one. W4E would be a great first book to buy for it."

Hi!
I have the Kindle 2 and LOVE it! I thought that I would miss the 'feel' of a book but it is very similar if you get the case with it. And some how it is more enjoyable to read with the kindle. I highly recommend it!

message 27: by Laura (new)

Laura | 56 comments Count me in the group that really liked this one.

message 28: by Angela (new)

Angela | 1934 comments I just seen the book at Target. I am surprised that Borders did not have it!

message 29: by Jen (new)

Jen (jenmurphy81) | 13 comments I am about halfway through this book and I am hooked...I don't want to put it down!!

message 30: by Rebbie (new)

Rebbie | 140 comments Just thought I'd post something interesting here.
"With its spotlight on elephants, Gruen's romantic page-turner hinges on the human-animal bonds that drove her debut and its sequel (Riding Lessons and Flying Changes)—but without the mass appeal that horses hold...Despite her often clichéd prose and the predictability of the story's ending..."

This is from Publisher's Review, a highly respected organization. Proves that even the pros can't predict what people will love! 76 weeks on the NYT bestseller list!

message 31: by KristenR (new)

KristenR (klrenn) I absolutely loved this book. I really felt like I got to know the characters. I listened to the audiobook, and it was so easy to feel immersed in the circus culture.

Has anyone read her other books? Are they as good as this? Do they have the same feel?

message 32: by Teresa (new)

Teresa My copy jst came into the library, so I'll be picking it up tomorrow. Yeah!!!!

message 33: by alicia (new)

alicia grant (shesha34) Okay it's been on my list for almost 2 years now and every book board I go to everyone raves about it.I think I may break down and this to my library list when go.Since i finished up last stack of books.

message 34: by Robin (new)

Robin (robinsullivan) | 997 comments For me the characters really came to life. I was most pulled toward Jacob as an old man and I liked that I originally did not like Walter but then grew to love him as the story went on.

message 35: by Paula (new)

Paula | 1098 comments You will be glad you did Alicia!

message 36: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Hi there -- I just joined your group because I saw you were discussing this book, which I loved.
KristenR-
After I read this, I went and read her other books. I would describe them as good, but not as good. They don't have quite the same feel - a little more mainstream romance-y. Much horsier too. As a lifelong horse person, I can say that she gets those details right in a way that few writers do, but I think the themes in Water for Elephants are far better developed, and the circus setting is more broadly appealing.

message 37: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Oh, also -- I believe she wrote this (and her other books?) as a NaNoWriMo book -- meaning she wrote the entire first draft in a month! I for one am impressed.

message 38: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Ya hoo... I went to the library sale today and was able to buy a copy of this book! I cant wait to dive in, but I will be wayyyy behind you guys!

message 39: by Dawn Michelle (new)

Dawn Michelle I LOVED this book. I read it last year, so I feel like I am finally ahead. I have actually read BOTH of this months books! YAY!

This book was amazing for me. I really loved the story and the characters and how the story flowed. I hope that you LOVE it too Lori!!

message 40: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

After everything everyone has said about this book, I really want to like it! I dont see why I wouldnt.

message 41: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 1000 comments Just wanted to say that I am 100 pages in and I am loving it so far!

message 42: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 38 comments I am planning on checking it out as soon as I am done with "The Appeal." I've heard it is a great book so I look forward to it.

message 43: by KristenR (new)

KristenR (klrenn) Thanks, Sarah...

I'll probably skip her other books, then.

message 44: by Nikki (new)

Nikki (tikki_nik2) | 28 comments Hi,

I've just started reading this and I'm really enjoying it. It is a bit easier going than some of the other books I have read recently and I am enjoying it because being set in a circus is so different.

Nikki

message 45: by alicia (new)

alicia grant (shesha34) Okay got it at the library Sunday and so far I'm liking it I'm on pg 98.

message 46: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 38 comments I just checked out Water for Elephants yesterday so I will probably start it soon. I'm reading another book right now so as soon as I finish it I will be ready.

message 47: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Ok, I am about to start this book! I am really looking forward to it.

message 48: by Rory M. (new)

Rory M. I live in Florida & can highly recommend The Ringling Museum to anyone who is travling down this way. It's in Sarasota. You can tour the Ringling mansion, there is a beautiful art gallery on site (which owns a few Reubens) and there is the Circus Museum too! I'm only about 50 pages into the book but love it!

Also - not sure if you all posted on this already as I only skimmed the posts - Carnivale was a wonderful show (HBO I think). If you have time you'll be riveted.

message 49: by Justine (new)

Justine (paperbackheart) I started this book yesterday and I'm about 3/4 through it. I was a little hesitant to pick it up and now I'm disappointed in myself for feeling that way. I am completely engrossed and found myself wondering if people can still run away to join the circus because I feel the need to ride an elephant RIGHT NOW.

message 50: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) I was really hesitant to start this book as well. I actually would have never picked it up if it had not come so highly recommended. I didn't enjoy it as much as others have, but it was a good book. :)

« previous 1