The Sword and Laser discussion

The Hobbit
This topic is about The Hobbit
Sword and Laser Video Show > S&L Video- #17 Book Club - 'The Hobbit' Kick-off & Your Feedback!

Comments (showing 1-28 of 28) (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Becca (last edited Dec 10, 2012 02:49PM) (new)

Becca (Becca_Canote) | 101 comments We kick-off a Classic Sword pick, J.R.R. Tolkein's The Hobbit, find out what THE Cloud Atlas is all about, and reassure Lem that he's still our favorite dragon.

http://youtu.be/FGoaaL331Nw

Enjoy!

P.S. We're giving away 2 copies of "Letters from Father Christmas" to the first two viewers that send us video questions or reviews for the show!

message 2: by David Sven (last edited Dec 07, 2012 01:10PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

David Sven (Gorro) | 1582 comments Enjoying my compulsory Saturday morning (in Australia) viewing. Is it wrong to want log cake for breakfast?
Added Bridge of Birds to TBR (thanks Aaron) - is there an ebook version and do you still lose weight if you read it on anything other than DTE.

library_jim | 212 comments GREAT episode. (And now Bridge of Birds is on my to-read list.)

message 4: by Kim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim | 476 comments David Sven wrote: "is there an ebook version and do you still lose weight if you read it on anything other than DTE. "

Not for Australians. If you have a Kindle you can purchase it from the US store. Not sure about options for other formats. It's been on my TBR list for a long time and I hope to finally get to it soon.

message 5: by Rob, Roberator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rob (robzak) | 4657 comments Mod
I like how (view spoiler) That was unexpected and amusing.

message 6: by terpkristin (last edited Dec 07, 2012 01:59PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

terpkristin | 3497 comments David Sven wrote: Added Bridge of Birds to TBR (thanks Aaron) - ..."

Amazon US has the book, The Chronicles of Master Li and Number Ten Ox available for Kindle. Bridge of Birds: A Novel of an Ancient China That Never Was is the first in that book. US Amazon link.

I don't know if it's available anywhere else e-book-y. Forgotten Classics did a recording of the book via podcast over a number of episodes, should you want to listen. I read the book years ago, I have downloaded the FC audiocast and have the Kindle version, but have yet to re-read it.

Dara (cmdrdara) | 1814 comments Rob wrote: "I like how [spoilers removed] That was unexpected and amusing."

Samsies! Loved that.

P. Aaron Potter (PAaronPotter) | 585 comments If I convince one person to read Bridge of Birds, my life has been well spent. Also loved the hell out of the Philip K.Dick overview. Whose was that? Didn't catch it in the show notes.

Casey Hampton (caseyhampton) | 654 comments Three things:
1. Great show.
2. You gave us more Patrick Rothfuss and for that I will always love you. In a platonic unweird nonstalkerish kind of way of course.
3. Aaron, I will read Bridge of Birds for no other reason than because you said so. Well that and because it also looks like a good read.

Ruth (tilltab) (till-tab) | 1349 comments Bridge of Birds sounds great, but it's not in any of my local libraries so will have to wait until I have some money to spare. It's on my list now though. It's a really really long list, but it's on it. :)

Loved the Philip K.Dick overview. A scanner Darkly was made into a film wasn't it? I have a hazy memory of something half-animated, and possibly Keanu Reeves being involved? I don't know. I could just google, but where's the fun in that?!

The little extra Patrick Rothfuss was sweet.

All in all, a great show. :)

message 11: by Rob, Roberator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ruth wrote: "A scanner Darkly was made into a film wasn't it? I have a hazy memory of something half-animated, and possibly Keanu Reeves being involved?"

Yup. Along with Robert Downey Jr.

message 12: by Walter (new)

Walter Spence (WalterSpence) | 697 comments Bridge of Birds: A Novel of an Ancient China That Never Was is one of my favorite novels as well. I loaned it to someone because, like Aaron, I wanted to share the joy. Never got my copy back. Needless to say, I became much more cautious about loaning out beloved books. One day, I'll have to find and purchase another copy. ::sigh::

message 13: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 5078 comments Julie Davis got permission to podcast Bridge of Birds in its entirety:

http://hcforgottenclassics.blogspot.c...

terpkristin | 3497 comments Tamahome wrote: "Julie Davis got permission to podcast Bridge of Birds in its entirety:

http://hcforgottenclassics.blogspot.c..."

Pssst...see post 6. :)

message 15: by Rob, Roberator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tamahome wrote: "Julie Davis got permission to podcast Bridge of Birds in its entirety:

Cool. Thanks for the link.

message 16: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 5078 comments terpkristin wrote: "Tamahome wrote: "Julie Davis got permission to podcast Bridge of Birds in its entirety:

Pssst...see post 6. :)"

You can't expect me to read every little post. :)

message 17: by Ruth (tilltab) (last edited Dec 09, 2012 12:21AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ruth (tilltab) (till-tab) | 1349 comments Okay, I've only just woken up so this is first thing in the morning thinking, but an idea occurred to me for the show. I think everyone seemed to enjoy the little Patrick Rothfuss appearance, but you probably can't get him in for every episode (or can you? If you can, that would be wonderful; I've not even read his books and I'm a fan - note to self, must read his books...wait, am I digressing? This might be a good time to close those brackets).

So, my idea is that maybe it wasn't just the delightful Rothfuss that made the appearance fun. I think just having the camera pan round to see someone enjoying the Sword and Laser pub was cool, and made the show more dynamic. Well, this has probably, it occurs to me now that my awake mind is taking over, been discussed by you guys in charge before, and perhaps it seemed difficult, but I'd love it if there were some actual people in the pub. As well as authors, you could maybe have the odd person from the forum pop in, or watches on youtube who never made it over here to grace us with their opinions. Or extras in costume could also be fun.

I wouldn't want these things to be focused on too much - the main focus of the show should always be Tom, Veronica, the authors they interview and, of course, BOOKS.

But you know, a slightly more crowded pub could really bring something if it's done right, and surely people enjoy a nice drink in the lovely sci-fi and fantasy pub from time to time?

Does anyone else agree, or should I never ever type up ideas that occur to me when I'm still half dreaming, or maybe never type at all? My head is starting to hurt now. Time for coffee.

Oh, and thanks, Rob. Rob wrote: "Ruth wrote: "A scanner Darkly was made into a film wasn't it? I have a hazy memory of something half-animated, and possibly Keanu Reeves being involved?"

Yup. Along with Robert Downey Jr."

Good to know I didn't imagine it.

message 18: by Kris (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kris (KVolk) | 797 comments Fun show and it's good to see drink in a pub!

Sandi (Sandikal) | 1212 comments The buche noel looked great! It was so pretty. Did you guys eat it after the show? I know I saw Patrick with a fork in his hand.

library_jim | 212 comments Ruth wrote: "Okay, I've only just woken up so this is first thing in the morning thinking, but an idea occurred to me for the show. I think everyone seemed to enjoy the little Patrick Rothfuss appearance, but y..."

I think a random author/bartender wiping the bar, refilling V. & T.s cups and maybe settling the occasional trivia argument would be hilarious. Rothfuss, Scalzi, Wil Wheaton, Felicia Day, etc.

message 21: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 5078 comments Gail Carriger could serve tea.

message 22: by Veronica, Supreme Sword (new) - rated it 5 stars

Veronica Belmont (veronicabelmont) | 1428 comments Mod
Jim wrote: "Ruth wrote: "Okay, I've only just woken up so this is first thing in the morning thinking, but an idea occurred to me for the show. I think everyone seemed to enjoy the little Patrick Rothfuss appe..."

It has crossed our minds, trust us!

Ruth (tilltab) (till-tab) | 1349 comments I figured that when the wakeful part of my brain decided to join me. I give the idea a solid thumbs up. :)

message 24: by Becca (new)

Becca (Becca_Canote) | 101 comments Sandi wrote: "The buche noel looked great! It was so pretty. Did you guys eat it after the show? I know I saw Patrick with a fork in his hand."

We definitely ate it after the show, it was absolutely delicious.

message 25: by Paul (new) - rated it 4 stars

Paul | 100 comments Definitely lining up to buy Bridge of Birds.
Not heard of it before but it sounds my kind of book.
Not sure how much my kind of film it will be but it looks like one is being lined up.
http://uk.imdb.com/title/tt2089639/

Was a super show, really enjoyed it, but you could have saved me a slice of the Choccy Yule Log Becca! :(

oh and have already dusted off my copy of The Hobbit! ;)

message 26: by Tassie Dave, S&L Historian (new)

Tassie Dave | 1949 comments Mod
Great show. Loved the Patrick Rothfuss cameo.

Put me down as another who is giving "Bridge of Birds" a try after Aaron's white board review.
Though it's not available in Australia as an eBook :-(

Thanks for the link to the podcast version terpkristen and Tamahome.

message 27: by Tom, Supreme Laser (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tom Merritt (tommerritt) | 949 comments Mod
Glad everybody liked the special appearance! While we were waiting for some cameras to get moved around a bunch of us were talking about the movie and Pat said pretty much what he says on the show. So I asked him if he'd be willing to BE on the show to say it, and then we came up with the funny pan-around. We also played with the idea of having him show up form behind the bar unexpectedly, but took pity on making him crouch down there for the entire first part of the shot.

Yay for silly ideas also ending up to be good ideas apparently!

message 28: by Walter (new)

Walter Spence (WalterSpence) | 697 comments Too bad the gentleman's schedule no doubt precludes it, but Pat would make one heck of a bartender. :)

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Chronicles of Master Li and Number Ten Ox (other topics)
Bridge of Birds (other topics)