William T Vollmann Central discussion

Seven Dreams > 20?? The Poison Shirt (Seven Dreams #4)

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nathan "N.R." (new)

Nathan "N.R." Gaddis (nathannrgaddis) | 729 comments From wikipedia via William T. Vollmann: A Critical Study and Seven Interviews:

Volume 4: The Poison Shirt (unpublished), either "concerning the Puritans vs. King Philip of Rhode Island," or Captain Cook's voyage to Hawaii. [17th or 18th cent.]

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Yum!!

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

and do you really think it's coming out in 2013?

message 4: by Nathan "N.R." (new)

Nathan "N.R." Gaddis (nathannrgaddis) | 729 comments Eric wrote: "and do you really think it's coming out in 2013?"

The Poison Shirt, not. But The Dying Grass is slated for 2013. His collection of ghost stories for 2014. I don't have any knowledge of the status of the final two Dream volumes.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Nathan "N.R." wrote: "Eric wrote: "and do you really think it's coming out in 2013?"

The Poison Shirt, not. But The Dying Grass is slated for 2013. His collection of ghost stories for 2014. I don't have any knowledg..."

O right; I got dat shid mixed up.

message 6: by Nathan "N.R." (new)

Nathan "N.R." Gaddis (nathannrgaddis) | 729 comments Update on the two outstanding Dreams --

From the KBOO radio interview, aired 09/17/15, Between the Covers.
http://kboo.fm/thedyinggrassbywilliam...
@40:50

Q :: The Dying Grass is the fifth book in the Seven Dreams series. What’s the status of the remaining two books, which are actually books four and seven because you had published The Rifles which is book six in this.

A :: That’s right. Well, book seven is about Hopi and Navajo in the 1980s. And I completed a substantial amount that book in 1986 when the Navajo were about to be expelled from the joint use area at least in part so that Peabody Coal could do a bunch of strip mining there. And the other Dream I had originally wanted to be about King Philip’s War in Rhode Island and the great swamp and all that kind of stuff.

Q :: What year was that?

A :: That was in the 1600s. But I’ve worried that it might be too close to Argall you know which is set in the same period (17th century). So I might possibly make the Dream about the annexation of Hawaii. Anyway, I have a few years to figure that out. I don’t want to start any more work on the Seven Dreams for a while because I want them all to be different.

[cross posted]

message 7: by Chris (new)

Chris Nelson (magisterludi) | 26 comments Discussion board for Poison Shirt -- right on Nathan! It'll be interesting to see which way Bill goes on this one. King Phillip War of 17th century on East Coast, or Capt Cook and Hawaii in 18th century on west coast? A part of me is leaning towards later for three reasons: 1. More documentation available, 2. chronologically in-between Argall and Dying Grass, and 3. excuse to escape his tired, weary writer's soul to Pacific Islands for weeks at time to do some "research". Bill said he was quite tired after Dying Grass and is now more or less ready to finish 7-dreams after admitting it was quite an ambitious and difficult project. Thoughts? The King Phillip War, however, is the kind of relatively obscure and under-appreciated historical event that might be of more interest to Vollmann. I don't know, tough call. Any way he could do both, somehow?