IPS, 4th & 8th period discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
5th Six Weeks > Week 2

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Erika (new)

Erika (gecka8282) | 16 comments Book/ Author
What is the author trying to accomplish by writing this story? (entertainment, persuasion, information)
Support your response with a quote from the book.

message 2: by Kenesha (new)

Kenesha  (niecey) | 27 comments I think that the author is trying to accomplish entertainment and information. Like for instance Jade has a panic disorder, she provides information on how Jade handled an attach. Jade said, "I opened the window and took deep breaths." That's not the whole quote, but it's some of what Jade said when she first left campus in her friends car for lunch. She was starting to panic, so to calm herself down she took deep breaths.

message 3: by Gina Lamm (new)

Gina Lamm | 27 comments Star Wars Episode 3 by Patricia C. Wrede

I think Patricia is trying to tell people how Anakin turns to Darth Vader and how he became evil.

Darth Sidious said, "Only through me can you achieve a power greater than any Jedi. Learn to control the dark side of the Force, Anakin, and you will be able to save Padme from certain death."

emmanuel gonzalez  | 21 comments Wind up the river/Laurie Lawlor
well first of all the author is trying to use event of the civil war, by the main character going into war and making the character be on every single important event that happened during the civil war.1865 President Lincoln getting killed.

message 5: by Eliana Lechuga (new)

Eliana Lechuga | 20 comments I think the author is both informative and entertaining. In the prologue it talks about the plague, "had it not been for the news, also received that morning, of an outbreak of plague in the village nearby." It also gives you dates, 1492, 1528 and how art and religion was affecting Florence, "Our Lord may have lived and died in Galilee, but his life was re-created in the city of Florence." As for the entertaining part it is a fictional story that revolves around a Sister and what caused her painful death.

message 6: by Shannon (last edited Mar 13, 2009 06:26AM) (new)

Shannon | 16 comments Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil- by John Brendt
John Brendt(the author)is writing a story for simple pleasure. This is a non-fiction but he has turned this non-fiction into a story worth reading, just for pure enjoyment. "For me, Savannah's resistance to change was its saving grace. The city looked inward, sealed off from the noises and distraction of the world at large. It grew inward, too, and in such a way that its people flourished like hothouse plants tended by an indulgent gardener. The ordinary became extraordinary. Eccentrics thrived. Every nuance and quirk of personality achieved greater brilliance in that lush enclosure than would have been possible anywhere else in the world."

message 7: by Ricky (new)

Ricky | 15 comments Book/black like me Author John Howard griffin
What is the author trying to accomplish by writing this story? (entertainment, persuasion, information)
I belie he is trying to inform us about the life or the struggle of a black person, and how there is no different from white and black skin color.

"...I thought vaguely illuminating that the negro griffin's sweat felt exactly the same to his body as the white griffin's.

message 8: by Katelyn Baker (new)

Katelyn Baker | 18 comments Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

This book is mostly to entertain the reader, this isn't a realistic book (or at least not for this time). " "Satisfied launchy?"
"Two out of three."
"We don't allow two out of three games."
"So you beat me the first time I ever touched the game," Ender said. "If you can't do it twice, you can't do it at all."

message 9: by Renny (new)

Renny | 8 comments Vampire of New York/Lee Hunt
I think that the author is trying to entertain the reader by showing us a storyline that goes back forth through time by starting in the civil war.

"During the Civil War there were less than a million people here, against eight million now".

message 10: by Isaac (new)

Isaac Hernandez (acdcrocks9) | 15 comments Watchmen/Alan Moore

The book is more persuasion for us to not let the world down and give up on each other or we will crumble."This city is afraid of me. I have seen its true face"-Rorschach

Adilene Macedo  | 27 comments Shattered/ Paul Langan
The author is trying to entertain the reader because it explains & goes in deep in a story about a teenage girl.
"All summer, she'd dealt with customers who treated her & her coworker Haley like trash."

message 12: by Sabrina (new)

Sabrina | 19 comments The Looking Glass Wars/Frank Beddor
This book is purely for entertainment. "No I didn't kill the jabberwock" I don't even know what that is!!!

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

"Two steps ahead of the thought police" by John Leo

It seems like he's mainly trying to use this for information purposes but with the underlying purposes of persuasion. It's hard to find any direct quotes to support this though. Usually they can be found in the ending of one of his articles, because that's where he does his conclusions.

message 14: by Brooke (new)

Brooke (brookelynn_09) | 10 comments Fly Girl
The author is trying to inform and entertain people with this book. He is also trying to entertain showing that even the most perfect looking families have inner usually unseen flaws.

message 15: by Andreana (new)

Andreana | 16 comments G-Spot/Noire
The purpose of this book is to entertain. But even the cash and the bling can’t keep Juicy from getting restless, and while G fulfills her every material desire, she’s burning up with unrequited sexual energy.

message 16: by Jaffer (new)

Jaffer | 23 comments Snakehead -Anthony Horowitz
I think the author in this book is trying to entertain its readers. You can tell that by how and what characters he uses. He also uses cool and entertaining story line to catch the readers attention.

message 17: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Brown | 18 comments The book is trying to show you information about life and entertainment at the same time

message 18: by Daniel Arroyo (last edited Mar 03, 2009 07:50AM) (new)

Daniel Arroyo | 27 comments I think the author is trying to entertain it's readers. He wrote a story about an old man going out to sea to face a terrible monster with his friend. "But are you strong enough now for a truly big fish?" The boy tells the old man.

message 19: by Ginna Marciel (new)

Ginna Marciel | 24 comments Marked by Kristen Cast and P.C.Cast
The book is great and its all about excitment and suspense. Like at one point, which got my in suspense a lot was when Zoey said
"'Than it was there...the sweet smell which made my mouth water, but what in fact was that smell?'" I looked to my side and saw that Elliot kid bleeding. His blood coming from his body made my mouth water with every movement. Blood coming from his eyes, nose, ears, mouth."
That made me wonder with suspense about what will happen next.

message 20: by Tanisha Williams (new)

Tanisha  Williams | 25 comments Tyler Perry Wrote this book as in inspiration to people who either can't find inspiration from the situation in their lives, and maybe its personal also for people who dont want to ask for advice when it comes to personal situations.

Treasure McCarver | 17 comments Hard to handle/Lori Foster
Lori Foster uses entertainment and suspense to tell the story. You really never know what is coming next. The action just keeps building up.

message 22: by Becca (new)

Becca (rewashed) | 21 comments Little Altars Everywhere -Rebecca Wells

The author is trying to tell the world that no matter how dysfunctional a relationship is, there is always hope.

message 23: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (jacqu3s) | 21 comments Keysha's Drama
by Earl Sewell

The author is basically trying to say that no matter what your situation is and no matter how bad it seems, something good will come out of it and you can always grow and learn from your problems.

message 24: by Warun (new)

Warun (supacoolzulu) | 15 comments i think my Aurthur wrote this book to just express her thoughts and what she would do if she was in a situation like that.

message 25: by Sunshine Kemp (new)

Sunshine Kemp | 23 comments miss julie by august strindberg
i am reading a play right now.
the playwright is trying to convey entertainment
'JULIE: Where did you get that wine from?
JEAN: The wine-cellar!
JULIE: My father's burgundy!
JEAN:Isn't it good enough for his son-in-law?
JULIE: And i drink beer my self!
Jean: That merely shows your tastes are worse that mine.
JULIE: Thief!'

message 26: by connor bond (new)

connor bond | 22 comments Nick and Norah's infinite playlist/ Rachel Cohn and David Levithan

The author is writing an entertainment romance book.

"I love you so much, it's retarded."

message 27: by Anthony Jaques (new)

Anthony Jaques | 25 comments My name is Asher Lev? Chaim Potok

"You should make the world pretty, Asher."

As a painter Asher doesn't always depict the world as beautiful. His family doesn't like this, being Hasidic Jews. This quote shows the irony of what Asher is trying to do and sums up what the outside world is urging Asher to do. He refuses to compromise and continues his art in the way that he wants.

Mireya Garcia-Belman :] | 11 comments Forever/Judy Blume
"I wanted to present another kind of story—one in which two seniors in high school fall in love, decide together to have sex, and act responsibly."
Do I need to say more? :] Judy Blume wants to just put it out there to be safe! But in a story that teens will enjoy and compare themselves with.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.