Terminalcoffee discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.

Comments Showing 1-50 of 130 (130 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17346 comments Mod
All year I'd been looking forward to the new Watchmen film. Yet I seem to have run out of anticipation. I'm currently at a state of "meh" about the whole movie.

We saw a preview for The Haunting in Conneticut that looks absolutely freaky. Sweeter had goosebumps!

I hate (read: deliciously love) horror flicks that are supposedly based upon a true story. Eeeek!

message 2: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Still excited about Watchmen. Is it possible to be excited and dubious? I'm kind of both.

message 3: by Dan (new)

Dan (akagunslinger) Sarah Pi wrote: "Still excited about Watchmen. Is it possible to be excited and dubious? I'm kind of both. "

I am also dubicited about it.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments And I am excitous.

message 5: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) For a comic book nerd, I know next to nothing about Watchmen. I've seen the previews for the movie, but that's it.

And (don't stone me for saying this) I hated 300.

message 6: by Dave (new)

Dave Russell I hated it as well.

message 7: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Except for the shot of Gerald Butler's ass. And all the hot muscled men in their little undies and capes.

I suspect, D. Russ, that you liked the boobie shots.

message 8: by Dave (new)

Dave Russell Wow, how did you know?

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments I thought 300 looked SO COOL. And I could tell it was aimed at a particular demographic, of which I am not one.

message 10: by Dave (new)

Dave Russell But what demographic was it aimed at? Like Sarah said you had boobie shots, but also a lot of shirtless men in leather breeches (not that there's anything wrong with that.)

message 11: by Dave (new)

Dave Russell Maybe it was aimed at people confused about their sexuality.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Teenagers, Dave. Especially comic book reading high school boys.

message 13: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Like Xerxes evidently was?

message 14: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I still haven't seen 300. I prefer bad adaptations of Alan Moore to bad adaptations of Frank Miller. I guses I prefer Alan Moore to Frank Miller in general.

Sarah - Watchmen, like Miller's The Dark Knight Returns, kind of turned comics on their ear - those are the touchstones for the adultification (hee) of comics.
Watchmen is kind of a mystery-pirate-superhero story. If you've read superhero comics, you'll recognize the origins and the plots and even the characters that Moore spins off (Captain Atom, Nick Fury, Blue Beetle, etc...) The themes are pretty dark, so I'm curious whether the director is just going to turn it into an action shootemup, or will actually take the time to develop the themes (or even better yet, expand on them, so that the female characters suck less).
/geekery.

message 15: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) That's the irony, Sarah. I DO love superhero comics. I'm a DC nut. But I've never read Watchmen.

message 16: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments i liked 300. i thought the effects were cool with the weirdly surreal look to it and i liked the story even if it wasn't historically accurate or anything. nothing wrong with a good head lopping - sword movie every now and again.

i don't really get the superhero movies probably because i never was really into comics (except Heavy Metal - for the half dressed Amazon chicks). my boys go goofy over all the spiderman and batman movies. i did like ironman though

message 17: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Did you see Hellboy and Hellboy II? Those are cool comics, and I think the movies do a good job of bringing the brains AND the brawn.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Ironman was GREAT! I thought Robert Downey Jr. was the perfect choice to make Tony Stark into someone likeable despite his many faults.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Sarah Pi wrote: "Did you see Hellboy and Hellboy II? Those are cool comics, and I think the movies do a good job of bringing the brains AND the brawn.

"

And Hellboy likes cats!

message 20: by Sally, la reina (new)

I'm not a fan of a lot of CIG. But I did adore Sin City. And Shaolin Soccer. But not 300. Blech.

message 21: by Nuri (new)

Nuri (nools) | 538 comments I read an article somewhere that said people've been trying to make Watchmen a movie for decades now, and all my comic-book friends are more uneasy than ecstatic about the trailers.

I liked 300, though more for how RIDICULOUS the violence got at some points than for plot, characters, etc. It wasn't life-changing or anything, but I thought it was fun. :D;

Films I am looking forward to:
Tentatively, I think Funny People looks interesting.
I really like the artsy approach in the trailer for 300 Days of Summer (also the cast!), but... I think it's either going to be amazing or really bad.
Most of all, I REALLY can't wait for The Soloist. Jaimie Foxx AND Robert Downey Jr.? (In)sanity and redemption and good music?? I'm pretty excited.

Basically, I watched a lot of trailers while I probably should've been working last night. : /

message 22: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments i don't really go to the movies much (i think they call them "pitcher-shows" here in IN)so i usually have stuff reviewed and sorted out by the time they ever get to DVD

message 23: by Dave (new)

Dave Russell Last House on the Left was actually a remake of Ingmar Bergman's The Virgin Spring. Why oh why can't they leave well enough alone?

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Probably because those Saw movies are doing so well...
Hey, folks like gory movies! Let's redo this old one, and make tons of money without having to think of anything original!

message 25: by Sally, la reina (new)

Why oh why can't they leave well enough alone?

Because films are stories and humans have been retelling the same stories for all of time.

message 26: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Sally says fact.

message 27: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) The saddest upcoming remake I can think of is Keira Knightley and Daniel Day Lewis in My Fair Lady.

message 28: by Lori (last edited Feb 27, 2009 01:31PM) (new)

Lori But hands off Bergman! He should be sacrosanct.

message 29: by Dave (new)

Dave Russell Who is Herschel Gordon Lewis?

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments He's the director of The Gore-Gore Girls and Blood Feast.

message 31: by Dave (new)

Dave Russell Did you have to google that?

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Nope.

message 33: by Jackie "the Librarian" (last edited Feb 27, 2009 05:51PM) (new)

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Because I have THIS book: Golden Turkey Awards, which has a category for Worst Director.
Herschel Gordon Lewis is one of the nominees, but Ed Wood wins.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Gold...

message 34: by Dave (new)

Dave Russell Ugh. Michael Medved. I hate that guy.

Is The Gore-Gore Girls a documentary about the former Veep's daughters?

[Pauses for laughter:]

Thank you.

message 35: by Jackie "the Librarian" (last edited Feb 27, 2009 07:20PM) (new)

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Ha ha, Dave.

I hate Michael Medved, too, but the Golden Turkey Award book is still lots of fun. Especially if you're an 8th grader when you first read it.

"The Worst Rodent Movie of All Time", "The Most Ridiculous Monster in Screen History", and "The Most Brainless Brain Movie of All Time" are some of the categories. :D

message 36: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) "The Most Brainless Brain Movie Of All Time" has got to be The Man With Two Brains. Brilliant in its idiocy.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Well, it SHOULD be, Sarah, but the book predates that movie. So the winner is They Saved Hitler's Brain.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0265870/

Someone should update this book!

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Very wubbly...

message 39: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I'm definitely going to check out The Watchmen.

That is all.

I can't think of any other upcoming movie I want to see.

No, I take that back. When's Tim Burton's Alice of Wonderland coming out?

message 40: by Sally, la reina (new)

Holy sweet shit! Tim Burton is making an Alice in Wonderland? Too cool. Of course Johnny Depp will be the cheshire cat and Helena Bonham Carter will be the Queen of Hearts...

message 41: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I think Johnny Depp is the mad hatter...

message 42: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) How about Scarlet Johansson as Alice?

message 43: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandikal) The trailers for "The Watchmen" look really good, but I am so disappointed it's rated "R". The trailers are appealing to my son, but I'm not taking my thirteen year old to an "R" rated movie. (I do know that there's a rape in the book, so I'm assuming the "R" is for both sex and violence.)

I'm looking forward to the new Wolverine movie.

message 44: by Sally, la reina (new)

What Mad Hatter? Just kidding, of course. And Larry, are you for reals? Scarlett "boobies" Johansson will be Alice? Isn't she, like, 27? I think that the story uses someone more like Miley Cirus' age, no?

message 45: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I'm not legally allowed to have fantasies about the one you mentioned.

message 46: by Sally, la reina (new)

I'm not designing your fantasies, I'm talking about the upcoming Tim Burton movie.

What you choose to do with your DVD copy in 2011 is up to you.

message 47: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I, uh ....

message 49: by Sally, la reina (new)

It IS a young'un in the role of Alice! And ANNE HATHAWAY as the "white queen"? WTF?

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1985859/

message 50: by Sally, la reina (new)

A ha. Helena Bonham Carter is the "red queen" funny I really don't remember these titles.

I'm pretty excited that Crispin Glover is in it ... we just finished the Back to the Future trilogy this week. Crispin rocks the first one.

« previous 1 3
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.