Genealogy discussion

How far have you gone in your research?

Comments Showing 1-35 of 35 (35 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dottie (last edited Jan 04, 2008 08:01PM) (new)

Dottie  (oxymoronid) | 8 comments Okay -- so are all members new genealogical folks or have you all been researching for a while?

I had been being pushed to research family for a while in junior high and high school but ignored it for the most part. then when I was older and the elders who were urging me into it were gone I wished I'd not ignored it. The usual genealogical lament.

Then I formed a new best friendship with a fellow parent in the neighborhood and in our conversations we discovered we were both into researching family tree -- and away we went -- we went at it for a decade or so and then it got lost in life events until recently since we are both now retirees. In fact husband and I will join her and her husband in February at a day long genie seminar in their town a ways north from us and we are kicking around the idea of a week sojourn with help in Salt Lake City just to get motivated if nothing else developes.

Off to check out the books listed!

message 2: by Adara- (new)

Adara- אדרה | 1 comments I'm 14, and i've been at it since i was in fourth grade. I found out that a few of my camp friends are related to me......its a small, small world.

message 3: by Bill (new)

Bill | 2 comments I've been at it off and on in the past but its only since more became available on the Internet
that I've had more luck adding to the facts I
already knew. This past year especially has been
very productive thanks to the help I've been
given,

message 4: by Sara W (new)

Sara W (sarawesq) | 2 comments I've been at it off and on over the past years as well. I lucked out and found someone online who was researching one of the branches of my family tree, and he had a ton of information to share. He had been to Salt Lake City and over to England where this particular branch came from, so it was a great find. I just haven't had time lately to do anything. I have an older version of Family Tree Maker, but I haven't touched it in years (it's actually on an old computer that I don't use anymore, so I should get that information off it!).

message 5: by Dottie (last edited Jan 12, 2008 04:49PM) (new)

Dottie  (oxymoronid) | 8 comments Don't you just have to LOVE it when you fall into those connections with a big chunk of research which happens to be your line as well as the person who did the work? It is also great fun when such a connection solves a riddle for both parties.

I had the same thing happen -- found a man who had written a book on one my lines and that took me all the way back to the 1600's in Switzerland -- I was amazed -- but then it also opened a few new questions which I now need to resolve. That's the way it works -- a big step forward and a few steps back.

message 6: by Jillian (new)

Jillian (mother_of_dinosaurs) A man who is related to my Great Grandmother on my Dad's side found my aunt a few years ago. She then gave him my address and through him I have research for a branch of my family going back to 1200's in Holland.

message 7: by Brenda (new)

Brenda | 2 comments Hello, I have been doing my genealogy for 34 years now and I still have not found a stopping point. My Grandmother started me when I was 17 and I have been going since. The only times I have slowed down was during the time I was raising my two children.

message 8: by Judy (new)

Judy (judyfromky) | 1 comments I have been researching my family for over 30 yrs. It moved along at a snail's pace until the Internet came on the scene. My family came mostly from England with records dating back to the first colonists in the 1600s. I am also a member of DAR (Daughters of the American Revolution). Most of my ancestors moved from their Virginia home to Kentucky after the Revolutionary War. Although I have traced some of my direct lines back to colonial times, I have a couple of other direct lines that are brick walls for me from the mid-1800s and later.

I now have 14,951 individuals in my database. When you get started, you don't know when the least thought-of connection pops up.

I could probably set up my own library with all the genealogy books and references that I have collected over the years. Since I love to read about history and mystery, genealogy is the perfect hobby for me.

message 9: by Glownthedarc (new)

Glownthedarc I got bit by the genealogy bug 2 years ago. I had a copy of a 10-year old handwritten family tree someone had started on. I used that as a starting point and while I was putting the info in Family Tree Maker, I was able to use the Internet feature to fill in many gaps. Within the first year of my work, I got into contact with 30 long-lost family members all over the U.S. who had also lost touch with each other. For fun I sent out family reunion invitations and 35 people showed up, some from 3000 miles away! Everyone was finally back in touch with each other and loving it. My genealogy finds have really enriched my life :)

message 10: by Tamara (new)

Tamara (Tamara927) | 7 comments I peppered my elders with questions as soon as I could talk and really have not quit yet. They probably wish I would though! Some relatives even threatened to quit telling me things because I was writing everything down that they told me, word for word. :) I really started with the true research as a result of a class project in 6th grade. As soon as I could drive I was interviewing relatives and frequenting libraries and grave yards. Not your typical teen... Years later, the result of some super sleuthing I now know that I am a niece of famous Indian fighters, scouts and frontiersmen in Ohio and Virginia (1700's) and a granddaughter and niece of some of the victims of the Salem witch trials (1692).

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

I started about age 16 writing down what my grandmother could tell me in my diary. Little by little I picked up odds and ends here and there. My Uncle Damon helped me very much by putting me in contact with a distant cousin who had lots of info and pictures for me. She also took me to the cemetery where my great grandfather was buried. Then I went to work with the Mormons at one of their groups and they were super helpful helping me do a GEDCOM and submit it to Salt Lake City so it could go into the big records which they save in case I were to lose my work (fire or something). They showed me how to enter things correctly and get great printouts. You can actually do some of this work online and I need to get back to it but have gotten distracted by many other things. I keep hoping to find someone who has done much of the work and then I can just link on. I have known quite a few people who have had that great good luck. I cannot get back "across the water"....sigh!

message 12: by Maryd (new)

Maryd | 30 comments My parents started the family tree and I inherited all their research & have picked up the torch and admit i'm now addicted. I enjoy history, so it's fun to find out where the family came from (England & Scotland) and many came in the 1600s (including William Bradford on Mayflower). So far i've found we're descended from 2 of the Salem "witches" Susanna Martin (hung in 1692) and Mary Bradford (accused but not hung). I use Family Tree Maker and share on geni.com (free website!) & belong to the local Genealogy society in my area.

message 13: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn Bump (Mountainsweetie) | 2 comments Is anyone here researching the following families: Hogan, Elmore, Harwell or Fagan? I have a lot of information but need a lot as well!! Please let me know and we can share what we have found so far.

Thanks,
Marilyn

message 14: by Pat (new)

Pat Simmons (goodreadscomauthorpatsimmons) | 10 comments Hi everyone,
I've been out of pocket because of a writing deadline AND conducting more family research that I weave into my fiction novel. I recently found out that I have a host of white relatives that possibly don't know they have black cousins. I'll keep digging and hope to meet them.
View some of my old pictures at www.patsimmons.net

message 15: by Mary Beth (new)

Mary Beth (marybethd) | 2 comments I've been researching my family tree for about 13 years. I found written genealogies on many surnames and alot has been written in local histories of some of my ancestors. In doing some research online, I have had contact with a few distant relatives, and we were able to share information. One particular line I was able to trace very far.

message 16: by Craig (new)

Craig (angusmacg) | 5 comments I picked up the research from my grandmother after she passed away. No one else in the family wanted to put forth the effort but they want to know more. I've been dabbling since my grandmother died for the last 4 years and because of the research that she completed I've been able to go back very far with unconfirmed sources. I am currently slowly working on getting confirmed sources to support all the information I currently have.

message 17: by Robin (new)

Robin (goodreadscomtriviagoddessl) I was always told that my ancestor was a Indian chief but then I went on Cherokee by Blood and they said don't believe that so I am not sure where to take this, some of my family say he was pure blooded and some say half so I am stymied at this point.

message 18: by Didi (new)

Didi (penathey) | 22 comments Robin wrote: "I was always told that my ancestor was a Indian chief but then I went on Cherokee by Blood and they said don't believe that so I am not sure where to take this, some of my family say he was pure bl..."

Robin, I have considerable experience with Cherokee genealogy and a lot of resources. Let's go to private emails and I will see if I can help you. Send a couple of people's info: name, DOB, DOD, POB, POB, MD on DOM at POB (spouse--all same info). Start with your great-grandparents and tell me a little about where they were and when and with whom, then your grandparents. geniesearcher@yahoo.com

message 19: by Didi (new)

Didi (penathey) | 22 comments I have 3 proven Mayflower ancestors and 1 is proven but not yet accepted by them for any descendant who has filed on him. For the D.A.R., 18 recognized patriots. I've gone through my family, spouse's family, in-laws, stepkids, cousins, neighbors, friends, the pastor, my haircutter, and next I think I might have to resort to researching the dog. ;=} I try to give a lot of "kind stranger" help to others, which keeps me busy and doing what I love to do. In recent years, I have done a lot of Native American research.

message 20: by Liz (new)

Liz | 379 comments Robin wrote: "I was always told that my ancestor was a Indian chief but then I went on Cherokee by Blood and they said don't believe that so I am not sure where to take this, some of my family say he was pure bl..."

Robin, I put a few books on researching American Indians on the "ethnic-American-Indian" shelf of the group bookshelf. One of the books is a down-loadable Kindle book! I use the Kindle reader on my iTouch and love it. There are Kindle readers available for other devices too so you don't have to own a Kindle to get

message 21: by Liz (new)

Liz | 379 comments Craig wrote: "I am currently slowly working on getting confirmed sources to support all the information I currently have. "

That is great! It is so important to verify! When I first started, I dutifully entered (by hand, no way to download) a genealogy that had been passed down. Then, I went to verify and had to lop off a section. (Fortunately, it didn't effect too many people.) I actually found an article in an NGS magazine explaining the published genealogy had been in error. I love PERSI!!!! I might not have found it without doing the PERSI search.

message 22: by Liz (last edited Sep 04, 2010 09:21AM) (new)

Liz | 379 comments Didi wrote: "Robin wrote: "I was always told that my ancestor was a Indian chief but then I went on Cherokee by Blood and they said don't believe that so I am not sure where to take this, some of my family say ..."

Didi, Thanks for volunteering to help Robin. I love the way genealogists are always reaching out to help!

Just a reminder to all, this group is for free support of all who are members. We now have several professional researchers who participate. I'm setting up a separate discussion thread where those who wish to promote their services may post their specialty. All offers of professional services should be posted to that thread. Offers to help folks in other sections of the group are assumed to be free-of-charge.

Thanks again Didi for all you do to help others. It is the way of Genealogy!

message 23: by Robin (new)

Robin (goodreadscomtriviagoddessl) Yes,thanks Didi I will check out your email address.

message 24: by Didi (new)

Didi (penathey) | 22 comments Of course, I am offering free services, even though I am qualified to charge. This is a place for friends, not for commerce.

message 25: by Robin (new)

Robin (goodreadscomtriviagoddessl) okay, thanks..

message 26: by Liz (new)

Liz | 379 comments Didi wrote: "Of course, I am offering free services, even though I am qualified to charge. This is a place for friends, not for commerce."

Didi, I was assuming that was the case!

I just thought I'd give folks a 'heads up' since we now have several professional genealogists. I also thought it would be good to give folks a place to post their specializations in case a member of the group is interested.

Commerce on Goodreads has been a problem in some of the other groups I participate in. Fortunately, this group has been great!

message 27: by Robin (new)

Robin (goodreadscomtriviagoddessl) Whatever way any of you can help others would be beneficial for all concerned, again thanks

message 28: by Cait Sith (new)

Cait Sith Fairy (willowkeeper) | 1 comments Im 19, I have traced my lineage back to the year 200.

message 29: by Eric (new)

Eric Willis | 5 comments I've been a genealogist for over 14 years. I've researched my African American paternal lineage back to 1835 in Mississippi and an additional two generations back to 1720 in Virginia via DNA testing.

message 30: by Maryd (new)

Maryd | 30 comments update from me. i'm on ancestry.com now, had my DNA analyzed: 35% Scaninavian, 31% Ireland (inc. Scot & Irish), 15% W. Europe, 7% Italy/Greece, 7% Iberian Penisula & less than 1% Cacasus & W. Asia. Interesting, huh? Most of my verified names have come from England & Scotland. It's been fun "meeting" cousins. My husband thought he had a Native American great Grandma, yet his DNA shows 0% Native American! We've yet to solve this family history puzzle.

message 31: by Eric (new)

Eric Willis | 5 comments Maryd wrote: "update from me. i'm on ancestry.com now, had my DNA analyzed: 35% Scaninavian, 31% Ireland (inc. Scot & Irish), 15% W. Europe, 7% Italy/Greece, 7% Iberian Penisula & less than 1% Cacasus & W. Asia...."Hi Maryd. That's great information. My DNA results (Y-chromosone) revealed that my probable 4th generation ancestor was from the Ireland/Scotland region. After comparing my results with others, I discovered the ancestor's surname. I even located a descendant of the listed ancestor who compiled an extensive family tree on Ancestry.com. However, when I reached out to the individual and identified my ethnicity, I never received a response. Therefore, I will have to do the additional research myself without the person's assistance.

message 32: by Maryd (new)

Maryd | 30 comments I've found that too, Eric, that i've messaged people that are supposed to be 4th cousins and they don't respond. Kind of disappointing, since i would think that's why they got involved, to find cousins. I have had responses, though, and people have messaged me about my & my husband's family (he had his analyzed too). it's fun!

message 33: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (rolymac) | 15 comments Eric, unfortunately there are indeed people who would be put off by your ethnicity. But there might also be other reasons for no response. Some people genuinely are not all that interested in their ancestry or distant relatives - and other people are just more scattered than others. For instance, I have occasionally received e-mails about various things that I find interesting and fully intend to reply to . . . and the next thing I know it's been six months and it's almost embarrassing to reply then. Personally, I am hesitant to contact strangers about things genealogical (though I do respond if they contact me) - I always fear that they will feel I'm being nosey or invasive. I'm probably wrong, but that is my expectation. Maryd - Interesting discovery about your husband's background. One of the cool things about DNA testing is that so many people are discovering ethnic connections they never suspected, and no connections where they always thought there would be!

message 34: by Eric (new)

Eric Willis | 5 comments Lynn, in this particular case, I believe it has more to do with race due to the person's extensive credentials involving their research and background within the field of genealogy. Also, being involved in genealogy for over 14 years, I'm aware of the lack of responses from non-family and family alike-and it does provide a temporary (my inclusion) feeling of disappointment as Maryd has stated above. However, I have progressed forward and will not be hampered. I have and continue to reach out to people whom I feel (via a sufficient amount of evidence) may have a family connection because it has on occasion resulted with great rewards. As far as the person in question, he has and continue to solicit information from others about making family connections and the interactons are documented on his webpage. Much success Lynn and Maryd in your genealogical pursuits.

message 35: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (rolymac) | 15 comments Eric - Then I'm sure you are right in this case. Sorry about that. People are stupid. Good luck to you as well!