Vampire Lovers! discussion

Favorite Vampire Book

Comments Showing 1-50 of 67 (67 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Fredstrong (new)

Fredstrong | 11 comments This is super tough! I'm going to go with Pandora, one of Rice's New Tales of the Vampires. Much of it takes place in ancient Rome and it really delves into the Roman paradigm, (pre-Christian). I've studied Classics for years, so this really appealed to me. It is rare to have a tale where a Roman protagonist can exist up through the modern day, and provide that kind of narration across the millennia. Thank god for Vampires!

message 2: by Emily (new)

Emily Pellam | 1 comments Thank god for vampires indeed!

I think my favorite vampire novel would have 'The Silver Kiss'. Maybe it is because I read it so many time that I just can get over the fact how it ended. Ugh...it's kind of a young adult book, I know, but I still like.

I also have mixed feels about the Anita Blake series. I'm still working on reading those...

message 3: by Saturnina (new)

Saturnina | 2 comments Surprisingly, when faced with this question, I'm drawing a complete blank. It may mean that I haven't read the perfect vampire book yet.

Anne Rice was rather nice with her humanlike vampires when I discovered her. Interview with the Vampire, Pandora and Armand are probably my absolute favorites.

I also kind of liked Poppy Z. Brite's Lost Souls, but there was something a bit off in it too.

So far I've also found Freda Warrington rather good but not superb.

message 4: by Seizure Romero (new)

Seizure Romero Four books that got me hooked on vampire novels:
Anno-Dracula by Kim Newman
The Book of Common Dread by Brent Monahan
The Golden by Lucius Shepard
Suckers by Anne Billson

The Sonja Blue books by Nancy A. Collins are seriously kick-ass, and Mick Farren's Renquist Quartet (starts with The Time of Feasting) is good but the last book is a little lame.

And this is only the beginning....

message 5: by Marci (new)

Marci (xraygirl71) | 10 comments the vampire lestat and queen of the damned were my favorites. i liked all of the vampire chronicles really, except the tale of the body thief and mostly didnt like memnoch the devil . there is 3 book series on my page that i read a while back that i also enjoyed, covenant of the vampire, children of the vampire etc. ... they gave a new twist to the van helsing/ dracula thing! check them out they are pretty good!

message 6: by Kathy (last edited Jan 19, 2008 07:35PM) (new)

Kathy (bookgoddess1969) I loved Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicles and I loved I am Legend by Richard Matheson (forget the recent movie completely!)!

Oops, and how could I forget Stephen King's Salem's Lot!

message 7: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (cookiejarprincess) There is no way I can pick just one. Besides, when I think of all the vampire books that I haven't even picked up to read yet. *swoon*

I have recently decided that I like the more light-hearted vamp stories like the Sookie series and the Undead series by MaryJanice Davidson. That's not to say I don't like the other more serious, scary, sensual vamp stories because I definitely do. Maybe I just need more light-hearted laughs in my life right now. :)

message 8: by Vmpir Girl (new)

Vmpir Girl | 1 comments Mod
yea. I just love Anne Rice, Stephenie Meyer and most other gothic romance writers, except for those select few who make the whole vampire romance into the girl meets guy, fall in love, and BAM! Book's over type of books. =[[

message 9: by Sara (new)

Sara Musko (surrra) | 1 comments I'm going to go with the obvious and say Dracula, although I lovvve Interview With the Vampire as well.

message 10: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (bookgoddess1969) You can't leave out the original! Dracula is an amazing novel! Very different then Interview With The Vampire and other later vampire books. Its amazing how different authors have their own Vampire Mythology that they work into their books. There are some similarities, but they are often very different.

message 11: by Annette (new)

Annette (AnnetteBell) Sunshine by Robin McKinley. Similar to Kiss of the Vampire by Nancy Baker but better, I thought.

message 12: by Marci (new)

Marci (xraygirl71) | 10 comments hi guys, i just read Bram stoker's Dracula, and then a sequel by marie kiraly called Mina, it was a quick read and very good, picking up where dracula left off. bringing up the question "did they really ever kill dracula?" a good read in my opinion.she used alot of the "facts" from the stoker book!i recommend it to u all!

message 13: by Werner (new)

Werner Marci, another Dracula sequel you might enjoy is The Holmes-Dracula File, by Fred Saberhagen (if you haven't run across that one already). It also makes use of the premise that Dracula wasn't really killed in the first book, and also features Mina as a character; and of course it blends Sherlock Holmes into the action. (Bram Stoker and Sir Arthur Conan Doyle were good personal friends, and read each other's work, so the pairing seems natural.)

message 14: by Marci (new)

Marci (xraygirl71) | 10 comments interesting i will check that out! thanks

message 15: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 3 comments Although I agree that Dracula is also my all-time fav - I really like the "Dark" series by Christine Feehan. Vampire and romance!

message 16: by Jeremy (new)

Jeremy | 1 comments Fevre Dream by George R.R. Martin

message 17: by Grace (new)

Grace | 1 comments I know these aren't really considered "serious" vampire novels, but I do really like the Sookie Stackhouse novels by Charlaine Harris. I'm intrigued by the human/vampire relationships that are possible in her world.

Of course, I cut my teeth on Anne Rice. I loved the Queen of the Damned for the history of the orgiginal vampires. The way she wove ancient Egypt and the vampire myth together was so compelling!

message 18: by Marci (new)

Marci (xraygirl71) | 10 comments i have to say also ,i just read the twilight series and i loved it.... the guys might not love it for the romance but they were great books!

message 19: by Marge (new)

Marge | 2 comments The original Dracula will always be my favorite, but I also like Salem's Lot. For the most part (not always) I like my vampires to be handsome, charming and cultured.

message 20: by Narrelle (last edited May 08, 2008 03:58AM) (new)

Narrelle I like my vamps with a sense of humour. Black humour, of course, and cool as ice. Having said that, one of the best books I've read in recent years - vampire or otherwise - was The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova. A genuinely creepy read and infused with a love of libraries and old books. You can just about smell the vellum.

message 21: by Kate (new)

Kate (katespofford) My favorite vampire series (I can't pick just one book!) are the Vampire Chronicles by Anne Rice and the Twilight series by Stephenie Meyer. I have The Historian to read next, so maybe I'll have a new favorite!

Any fans of the original Dracula might want to try reading Kate Cary's Bloodline series. It's a young adult series that picks up where Dracula leaves off, written in a similar style (letters & diary entries). So far there are two books in the series.

message 22: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 3 comments Totally LOVED the historian. I always forget 'bout it - so caught up with twilight and blue bloods lately. But yeah, the historian was a total thriller. Nobody writes like that anymore - it's amazing that was her first book. I'm going to re-read it --- Thx for the reminder!

message 23: by Allison (new)

Allison Honea-Sisson (deadxendxgrrl) | 1 comments My favorite vampire book is also Pandora by Anne Rice, although I love Lost Souls by Poppy Z. Brite as well. Neil Gaiman penned my absolute favorite vampire short story however: Snow, Glass, Apples.

message 24: by Seizure Romero (new)

Seizure Romero Allison-- what book is Snow, Glass, Apples in? I'm a Gaiman fan but I haven't read any of his short story collections.

message 25: by Dylan (new)

Dylan (dmfriend26) | 28 comments Hi, I'm new to the group and I love vampires! Ever since I saw The Lost Boys directed by Joel Shumacker, (I spelled that wrong sorry), I've been hooked on vampires. My favorite vampire novel is The Vampire Lestat, love the history of vampires in that book! So awesome! Love Anne Rice! I also love Salem's Lot and I Am Legend. The movies don't compare. I've also read Fangland, which is a nice twist on Dracula. I'm going to read Necroscope as my next vampire book. Has anyone read that? It looks good. I don't want to read Twilight however, sorry, I'm more into classic reads like Dracula, romance/horror doesn't click with me. :( I've been debating on whether to read The Historian. Is that really good? The 800 pages kind of turn me off, but if it's good I'll read it.

message 26: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (bookgoddess1969) I read Necroscope early this year. I liked it. It is very different. It's not your typical vampire novel, plus its set in the Cold War. I would definitely recommend it. I also read and loved The Historian. The author did a nice job of combining vampire mythology, european history and the story of Dracula. It really makes you wonder if any of that could possibly be true.

message 27: by Ranata (new)

Ranata Clark (thatchicknata) My favorite Vampire series so far is Charlaine Harris' Sookie Stackhouse series. I've read the Twilight series and I did enjoy it but I loved the adultness of The Southern Vampire Series. You got sex as well as laughs. I'm not big on a lot of mushy gushy books but this had the right amount.

message 28: by Kasie (new)

Kasie | 28 comments i love any vamp book except peeps i thouht it was to off track though some parts were pretty cool

message 29: by Kasie (new)

Kasie | 28 comments yo dylan i totaly agree with you on the lost boys movie!!! i loved it. Have you seen the "new" lost boys movie my opinon it sucks and that was a bummer because i was really looking forward to that but i was wrong...i have read twlight and i am a big fan but they have totaly messed up the movie but who wasn't expecting that i hate it when movies are the total opposite of the books especialy the good ones.. does anyone like werewolves too?

message 30: by Ranata (new)

Ranata Clark (thatchicknata) Kasie, I'm not surprised that the sequel or whatever sucks. That movie is a classic. It's like trying to remake The Breakfast Club (which is an over-rated movie) for 2008.

message 31: by Kate (new)

Kate (katespofford) I'm looking forward to Lost Boys 2 mostly because I'm addicted to "The Coreys" and I loved the first one... I have heard that the sequel has its cheesy moments.

I thought The Historian was good, but a bit slow. Of course, being a librarian, I loved the idea behind the book and I felt that the author made it all very believable.

Fangland and Necroscope sound good, I'll have to check them out.

Kasie--I also like werewolf novels (I'm a Jacob fan)! Have you read Blood and Chocolate? It reminds me a lot of Twilight but just about werewolves. Has anyone read The Wolfen by Whitley Schreiber? I wasn't too into the movie based on it, but I've read other books by him and liked them. Just not sure. Most werewolf books are really cheesy (The Howling? Yeah). And I couldn't get into the werewolf books written by Anne Rice's sister.

message 32: by Cristina (new)

Cristina M. (cmace) | 4 comments Hello, I love the Sookie Stackhouse series! I just bought the last book! I can't wait to get started on it!

message 33: by Dylan (new)

Dylan (dmfriend26) | 28 comments Yeah, I already knew that when they anounced The Lost Boys 2, it wouldn't be very good. Nothing can top the 1st one. I still kinda want to see it though.

message 34: by Dylan (new)

Dylan (dmfriend26) | 28 comments I'm also trying to get into werewolf novels. I'm going to read Ravenous, The Wolf's Hour, and The Howling. I loved The Howling movie version. So good. :D

message 35: by Kasie (last edited Jul 30, 2008 11:43AM) (new)

Kasie | 28 comments if you love werewolf books (and vampires) read the mercy thompson books which are mooncalled blood bound and iron kissed they are really up to date but really good books lots of action and a little bit of drama patricia briggs is really good at telling those kinds stories here is her website http://www.patriciabriggs.com/ go there and check out her books

message 36: by Kasie (new)

Kasie | 28 comments Has any ever seen silver bullet? now that's a cheesy werewolf movie but i am yet to read the book i am a huge stephen king fan!!!

message 37: by Dylan (new)

Dylan (dmfriend26) | 28 comments I haven't read it but I know it's not just a novel. It one if those illustrared novels.

message 38: by Allison (new)

Allison (abriea) TWILIGHT IS GOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!! And so is Marked, Chosen, and Betrayed (all one sieries) And if u ever read manga Chibi Vampire and Tsubasa are good (although Tsubasa isnt really about vamps, they are just included)

message 39: by Dylan (new)

Dylan (dmfriend26) | 28 comments I hear Hellsing and Vampire Knight are good vampire manga too.

message 40: by Jennifer (last edited Aug 01, 2008 07:19AM) (new)

Jennifer (Jen421) | 15 comments I'm a huge fan of Trinity Blood myself. Hence my avatar....

message 41: by Terra (new)

Terra Synn (TerraSynn) | 11 comments My fave right now would have to be the vampire academy. It pulled me in just from reading the back of the first book.

message 42: by Maria (new)

Maria | 5 comments Blood Promise by Richelle Mead

message 43: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (Raellafox) | 1 comments Wow, this is so hard. Although these are technically slayer books, I really enjoyed the Gardella Chronicles from Colleen Gleason. For a strictly vampire novel I would have to go with The Vampire Academy series from Richelle Mead.

message 44: by Missyb (new)

Missyb | 12 comments Argeneau series by Sands. So funny, romantic/sex, action, twists. Probably Single White Vampire would be one of my favorites from the series.

message 45: by Tala (new)

Tala   (Tala2) I have to go with Anita Blake series, I just love Jean Claude.

message 46: by Missyb (new)

Missyb | 12 comments Tala wrote: "I have to go with Anita Blake series, I just love Jean Claude."

Jean Claude, the bad boy you just have to love

message 47: by Vampsessed (new)

Vampsessed | 2 comments My favorite vampire book by far is The Black Dagger Brotherhood!! Night Huntress is a close second!!

Only thing I like a little better about BDB is you see more of all the characters perspectives, in Night Huntress the story is told through the main character. Both are excellent!

message 48: by Erica (new)

Erica I completely aggre with you! BDB and NH are two of my favorate vampire series. I think I enjoy BDB more b/c every book highlights a different vampire in the brotherhood so you get to know all of them

message 49: by Kirstin (new)

Kirstin | 7 comments Halfway to the Grave is my all time favorite. Companions of the Night by Vivian Vande Velde would have been at the top of the list but I hated the ending and it ruined the whole book for me.

message 50: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 5 comments Hands down my Favorit book would be. ­The Vampire Armand. Never get tired of reading it.

« previous 1