Cozy Mystery Corner discussion

Featured Series and Cozies > Chocoholic (The Chocolate Cat Caper) - JoAnna Carl

Comments (showing 1-23 of 23) (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 2036 comments Mod
December

The Chocolate Cat Caper (A Chocoholic Mystery, #1) by JoAnna Carl The Chocolate Cat Caper

This thread is for discussing all books in the Chocoholic series. If you're talking about a specific book, please include the cover and it's number in the series.

For a list of books in the Chocoholic series:

http://www.goodreads.com/series/42722...

message 2: by Anne (new)

Anne Pichette | 117 comments I read this and enjoyed it. It appealed to me because I like chocolate very much. It was an easy read and I enjoyed it very much. i did figure out who the bad guys were early on in the book, but it still was a fun read.

message 3: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (MelodieCO) | 625 comments Read this several years ago and thought it was cute. I haven't read one in some time. I really liked THE CHOCOLATE FROG FRAMEUP as the victim's name is my dad's name!

message 4: by Susie (new)

Susie Fevella (SusieinKS) | 55 comments I just finished The Chocolate Moose Motive: A Chocoholic Mystery, so I'm caught up on the series ;)

message 5: by ChrisGA (new)

ChrisGA | 48 comments Just read CHOCOLATE CAT CAPER and enjoyed it. Typical cozy-with chocolate twist. I didn't really understand why the speech problem was introduced. Did the author know someone with similar impediment---or was it just added to make Lee more vulnerable or what? Ordered the next few in the series from library so will be reading more.

message 6: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (MelodieCO) | 625 comments ChrisGA wrote: "Just read CHOCOLATE CAT CAPER and enjoyed it. Typical cozy-with chocolate twist. I didn't really understand why the speech problem was introduced. Did the author know someone with similar impedi..."

The "tangled tongue" thing grew more tiresome for me as the series progressed. I think it's one of the reasons I haven't read one in so long.

message 7: by Susie (new)

Susie Fevella (SusieinKS) | 55 comments Melodie wrote: "ChrisGA wrote: "Just read CHOCOLATE CAT CAPER and enjoyed it. Typical cozy-with chocolate twist. I didn't really understand why the speech problem was introduced. Did the author know someone wit..."

So true Melodie. I had forgotten all about it until I started reading The Chocolate Moose Motive: A Chocoholic Mystery...so she's still doing it!

message 8: by Becky (new)

Becky Carver | 115 comments ChrisGA wrote: "Just read CHOCOLATE CAT CAPER and enjoyed it. Typical cozy-with chocolate twist. I didn't really understand why the speech problem was introduced. Did the author know someone with similar impedi..."

That was one thing that turned me off & distracted me about this book. It seemed so forced and had nothing to do with the story. Other than that the book was just OK to me. I grew bored with it because I guessed early on "whodoneit"

message 9: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (mblisa) | 161 comments Ive read the first book in this series, and several others, and have several more on my tbr shelf.

I really enjoy this series, and Im hoping to catch up to the current one soon! =)

message 10: by Iamabibliophile (new)

Iamabibliophile | 201 comments I'm in the minority I know but I dislike chocolate...so far all the chocolatey details are a little much. :)

message 11: by Mark (new)

Mark Baker (Carstairs38) | 310 comments I definitely hear those of you complaining about Lee's tongue tangles. For me, there was a point part way through the series where they went from fun to annoying. However, they have become a small part of the stories again, so I don't mind as much.

I've been reading this series since the beginning, and I find it fun and light and fun. I always enjoy the books.

message 12: by jaxnsmom (new)

I agree with you Mark. The tongue tangles become just another character trait and less focus is on them. This is one series that I have continued without getting mad at it.

message 13: by ChrisGA (last edited Dec 30, 2012 04:30PM) (new)

ChrisGA | 48 comments I just always wonder why an author chooses to create a character a certain way--like the tongue tangles. Why she included it as part of Lee's character. Just made me wonder if she knew someone with the problem. Just curious

message 14: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie I didn't mind the tongue tangles as much as I minded the way she wrote the mayor's on-again off-again Hispanic accent. That really bothered me. I also didn't like Lee complaining that everyone thought she was dumb, then using it to her advantage.

I do know someone who says the wrong words all the time, much like the main character. She's a fifty year old stroke victim, so there's a reason for it. Outside of her, I haven't known someone who does that.

message 15: by Craftier (Kim) (new)

Craftier (Kim) (craftier) | 6 comments I read The Chocolate Cat Caper in a day and really enjoyed it. Looking forward to reading the rest. I think the speech impediment makes Lee stand out from other amateur sleuths and if not careful could get her in some embarrasing and other problematic situations.

message 16: by ChrisGA (last edited Jan 09, 2013 04:03PM) (new)

ChrisGA | 48 comments I have read PUPPY PUZZLE, FROG FRAME-UP, MOUSE TRAP , SNOWMAN, CAT AND BEAR BURGLARY in the last month. They continue to be enjoyable, but I am definitely ready for a Carl break.

The whole Hispanic father and son situation was another angle I didn't really "get" the reason for. O well.

message 17: by jaxnsmom (new)

I find the more of a series I read in a row, the bigger the annoying things and flaws become. Then I have to take a break and let things become funny and quirky again.

message 18: by Barb (new)

Barb | 511 comments That's probably part of the reason I got into so many series LOL I can't bring myself to read books from the same series back to back -- or even within a couple of weeks. No matter what the series, if I read them close together, they start to seem predictable. So I bounce around from one series to another -- then forget to go back and continue earlier series!

message 19: by ChrisGA (new)

ChrisGA | 48 comments I know that is what happened to me and the chocolate series. Our library didn't have them so I had to get them from interlibrary loan. When you are just clicking buttons, it's easy to overorder. I will give Lee and Aunt Nettie a while to rest before I revisit.

message 20: by jaxnsmom (new)

Barb wrote: "So I bounce around from one series to another -- then forget to go back and continue earlier series!"

LOL! I've done that with so many series, I get surprised when I run across a new book (or more) in a series I loved. Then it's, oh crap, how do I fit that in with the newer series I'm finding! I hate to leave old friends behind.

message 21: by Barb (new)

Barb | 511 comments Yes, exactly! And that's how I've ended up with over 200 series on my book list *sigh*

message 22: by Alisa (new)

Alisa Early (LisaM) | 14 comments I follow this series and just finished the latest one. I picked up this series because I love chocolate; and reading about it is less calories and fat to about chocolate than eat it.

message 23: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (mblisa) | 161 comments Lisa wrote: "I follow this series and just finished the latest one. I picked up this series because I love chocolate; and reading about it is less calories and fat to about chocolate than eat it."

so true...Lisa. =)