Goodreads Feedback discussion

Bugs > Google Play now showing?

Comments (showing 1-32 of 32) (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) (last edited Dec 03, 2012 08:23PM) (new)

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) | 9 comments When I am looking at a book's goodreads page and refresh (or do something that refreshes like change shelves, write a comment, more/less detail) my first green vendor button changes back and forth between "kobo" (I am in U.S. and never use) and "Barnes and Noble"—it used to always say Barnes and Noble.

Freaked me out at first. I have now figured out I just need to refresh until I get Barnes and Noble back, so it's not an urgent or priority bug for me.

However, whatever is behind the apparently randomly changing vendor button could also be behind some author posts here and in librarian group about trouble getting book links to work.

message 2: by rivka, librarian moderator (new)

rivka | 12265 comments Mod
Debbie R. wrote: "could also be behind some author posts here and in librarian group about trouble getting book links to work."

Unlikely, as it solely affects the local default, and not any of the other links.

message 3: by Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) (last edited Dec 04, 2012 07:44PM) (new)

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) | 9 comments Well, now refreshing doesn't get me back to Barnes and Noble or kobo shows. It is completely stuck on google play. How do I get rid of Google Play?

message 4: by Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) (last edited Dec 04, 2012 11:25PM) (new)

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) | 9 comments I am stil trying and it's just not working. Plus the stupid googleplay really should attempt to go to the google books and ebooks snd not the whole &)!* apps plus books plus whatever.

At this point, I'll settle for working buttons even if I cannot for the life of me figure out how I replaced Barnes and Noble with Google Play (or why I would? I use in order kindle, nook, iPad, Sony, Baen, MacMillan, O'Reilly and some local bookstores and libraries (and in some countries kobo)—no google and their "unique" interpretations of copyrights and privacy).

I was dealing better when kobo replaced Barnes and Noble—it worked and made an odd sense because kobo more receptive to goodreads than most booksellers.

If my buttons go back to working, I'll settle for that

(I still would love to know how I replaced Barnes and Noble with Google so I don't mess it up again; but, it's really faster for me to just order on physical nook or from iPad nook app. I always had good intentions to remember to click on goodreads purchase links when buying in case they get some sort of affiliate money from the clck thru...the last thing I remember doing at Barnes and Noble was entering some of my gift cards to load up nook for the holidays and that doesn't sound like I would edit book links at goodreads?)

Please at least let me know if just me or if someone else now has a google play button. I'm going nuts trying to retrace my steps (3 am my time and I've been researching and backtracking all day).

message 5: by rivka, librarian moderator (new)

rivka | 12265 comments Mod
The first button (currently showing Google Play for many users) is not set-able by users: it is a Goodreads-set default. Users can set the links that show up under "online stores" and "book links". The default may vary by user location and other factors.

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) | 9 comments I swear I never, ever saw it before today and have not changed locations or other factors. Oh well. No more buying books using goodreads links.

message 7: by Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) (last edited Dec 04, 2012 11:41PM) (new)

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) | 9 comments You'd think they'd get it working. Maybe even make it go to the ebook and print books on google and look stuff up by title or isbn.

Google Play ... Hmphhf...maybe if you have an android tablet but why on goodreads?

I've spent a miserable day on this. I'm going to sleep. It just had to do it the same day I had got bn gift cards, bugs posting my batch edit to feeds, posts showing or not showing in really weird orders, goodreads unavailable...uncle...

message 8: by lafon حمزة (last edited Dec 05, 2012 05:59PM) (new)

lafon حمزة نوفل (lafon) | 532 comments Just for the record guys, you cannot edit the button that I'm pointing to in the screenshot. It has something to do with contracts set-up by Goodreads with major sellers.
Edited to add correct, non-private image link.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

lafon حمزة wrote: "Just for the record guys, you cannot edit the button that I'm pointing to in the screenshot. It has something to do with contracts set-up by Goodreads with major sellers. "

I can't see the screenshot. I use Safari, and I couldn't see it in Firefox, either.

message 10: by Patrick, Product Manager (new)

Patrick Brown | 957 comments Mod
We have been doing some experimenting with the buttons (and the links in the dropdown menu). People in the US are likely to see Google Play buttons from time to time for awhile. Sorry if there was any confusion.

message 11: by Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) (last edited Dec 05, 2012 07:51AM) (new)

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) | 9 comments It just wasted my day trying to figure out what I did to ruin my vendor links. And no one seemed to be seeing the thing so thought maybe I accidentally caused helping my local library group add it's overdrive/vendor link (moot point now but was nicely showing on 3rd button).

Really bad timing because I had just got my links exactly how I wanted and was no longer experimenting. It was confusing the heck out of me what I could possibly have done to have wrecked them because I just knew I had not made any more changes.

For those of you not getting, this is screen shot of buttons I now see:

screenshot google play vendor link
[For me, the google play button began replacing Barnes&Noble/kobo yesterday and a new second button overwriting my amazon link showed up today (I guess to purchase at google? I did not click to find out; I had set the third button to show local vendor I used and now says "book links")]

And a screenshot enlarging buttons for a book available at google play:
screenshot google play price button

Screenshot showing buttons when book apparently not available at google play:
screenshot google play price button

I understand not something I can do anything about. I won't be clicking google play for anything so doesn't matter to me (now that I know I didn't break something); but, it would be nice for others if the button would work if it has to tie up the screen real estate. It does matter to me that I had the buttons exactly how I wanted and now that's ruined -- but I'll deal and just not use the purchase buttons at goodreads.

And with the google play surveys some gr friends got, was concerned maybe one of them was a malware because timing was a bit suspicious and they had just logged into their account on a shared computer to show me.

I'm aggravated enough to be glad other goodreads members are also seeing. Let's me know wasn't a bug (or some weird I-must-be-featured-bookseller-or-else thing like amazon wanted goodreads to do).

Elizabeth (Alaska) I never use the left button with the GR contract. I prefer my own user settings. I have no idea what Google Play is and it doesn't sound like a book site. Sounds more like a gaming site.

message 13: by Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) (last edited Dec 05, 2012 09:00AM) (new)

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) | 9 comments Google Play has Google ebookstore plus all the apps for the android/google-based smartphones and tablets. (Brief article at http://publishing.about.com/b/2010/12... has working links to ebookstore and other tidbits). For 2012 google has been busy announcing it is going after global book market in a big way (various media, conferences, etc. including http://idpf.org/digital-book-2012/pro... ; if you want to listen there's an mp3 at http://idpf.org/sites/idpf.org/files/... all pretty much just marketing speeches). Not saying anything against them; I just don't use and never expected goodreads to feature just one bookseller on the book product page.

I expect button is intended to go to the google ebookstore regardless of button name and errors I got from it yesterday (they may have worked out those bugs, at least enough to get that price button showing--I honestly haven't tested today and have no reason to now I know it's not something I broke but instead something goodreads rolled out with no explanation or response to bug reports about).

Elizabeth (Alaska) Debbie (Debbie Rice) wrote: "Google Play has Google Books/ebooks plus all the apps for the android/google-based smartphones and tablets. "

Thank you! I have no intention of ever getting such a device, although I should learn never to say never.

message 15: by Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) (last edited Dec 05, 2012 09:11AM) (new)

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) | 9 comments I would hate, even more than having vendor buttons become useless to me personally, if the buttons were constantly changing back and forth between Barnes&Noble, kobo, Google Play or any other vendors like was happening to me over the past few days.

If I can't have the links I want, I'd rather at least have standard, stay put ones that don't flicker in and out. That was just weird and had me thinking was either a site bug or that I had fried my custom settings. It was no help to me being told was just based on my location (I've been home with a busted tendon and not relocated anywhere) so that one was really making no sense. I don't see why they could not just say they were rolling out new buttons.

I don't even mind that they didn't publicly on a thread ask members to test and give opinions on the new buttons. We all know how effective that was when they asked us to test and comment on the new green "want to read" button (which I actually liked except for iffy color choice/placements by standard web practices until it started shelving things for me and slowing down pages or actually crashing the site/browser session).

message 16: by Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) (last edited Dec 05, 2012 09:14AM) (new)

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) | 9 comments I am so glad I am not an author trying to keep my book links working. (Not an author at all so for all I know goodreads did send instructions for handling the new buttons out to authors.)

message 17: by Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) (last edited Dec 05, 2012 09:18AM) (new)

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) | 9 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Thank you! I have no intention of ever getting such a device..."

You don't have to get a device to use the products, including ebooks, sold. Some of the apps are pretty specific as to what devices and operatings systems they run under.

I'm not bashing google or google play and their music and book downloads are actually more device independent than some competitors; I just happen not to use them (mostly because my TBR and preorders from other sources already ridiculous; and partly some stuff I'm not getting into because, again, just something buggy to me personally).

Elizabeth (Alaska) Ridiculous? I have 150+ unread books in my possession. I can read about 75 annually tops. Won't stop me from picking up a few here and there though.

message 19: by lafon حمزة (last edited Dec 05, 2012 09:24AM) (new)

lafon حمزة نوفل (lafon) | 532 comments Sorry guys for the broken image. I had accidentally set the permission as private for my desktop computer only.

Yeah, I also never use the Goodreads default link either. I have never bought anything from Kobo, and I don't plan on starting now. I would however be supremely irritated if the links in the drop-downs were fiddled with. I just got them to the point I like them, and if they were messed with at all I would be most displeased.

message 20: by Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) (last edited Dec 05, 2012 09:35AM) (new)

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) | 9 comments Hah! I'm not sure if was a good or bad thing about goodreads, but, since I joined they sure have been effective at showing me more and more books to read. Say what you will about "crowd sourcing" data, I love how staff, authors and members do keep up with books--both old out of print things and new releases, particularly sorting out all the series information (including some favorites I never knew were part of a series).

message 21: by Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) (last edited Dec 05, 2012 09:43AM) (new)

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) | 9 comments The Barnes and Noble default on first left button, unfortunately, was useful to me. Once upon a time my buttons were left to right ebooks for nook, kindle, library. That just worked for me and I didn't have to search out the right pair of glasses to see what the durn buttons said and nothing bloody flickered at me. (I don't have a credit card filed with Google Play so it's not like I accidentally bought something; just irritated and I was clicking thru quite a few screens before actually looking at to see I was not on site expected).

message 22: by MrsJoseph (new)

MrsJoseph | 3371 comments I am pretty annoyed by this. I dislike Google and I don't buy books from them.

I wish I had my Kobo button back...but now I'll just not use the buttons.

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

What the Kobo button

message 24: by J.C. (new)

J.C. Hendee (JCHendee) | 27 comments As said elsewhere, the GR system isn't even paying attention to all the fussiness of editions and ISBNs, ASINs, BNIDs, etc. Why in the world would the GR system show a B&N first when it will usually crash...

... because the specific edition is for Kindle and only has an Amazon ASIN?

(Shakes head and covers his eyes) ---J.C

message 25: by J.C. (last edited Dec 06, 2012 04:33PM) (new)

J.C. Hendee (JCHendee) | 27 comments ADDITIONAL: I have boycotted GooglePlay because of a clause in their self-publishing contract that stipulates they can (at will) reduce the price on any epub uploaded so long as they pay royalties based on the publisher's set price. The problem is, that all other major vendors with direct publishing portals have a clause in their contract with self-publishers that they DO NOT change the price set UNLESS they see the same title offered elsewhere at a lower price.

All the major vendors (Amazon, Kobo, B&N, iBookStore, etc.) monitor each others prices via scripts and bots. When they find a title they have listed at a lower price elsewhere, it is even possible to script a lowering of price on their own system. Heck, I can write such a script.

When Barb and I listed our first self-pub title at GoogleBooks (subsystem of GooglePlay), the price on it was reduced within 30 minutes of that listing. We didn't know so until later, when we noticed prices dropping elsewhere. In 4 hours, all other vendors we worked with had lowered their prices on that same title... and they pay royalties based on the actual purchase price, not our set price.

At 9 hours, when we fully understood what had caused this, the title was below 50% of its originally listed price... across the board. Needless to say, we pulled all titles from Google and forced them to delete all files. Within 3 hours more, all prices elsewhere reverted to what we set them at... which was the same price everywhere originally.

I'm not one to often lean to blackballing, but I would suggest giving GooglePlay (GoogleBooks) the boot, no matter which side of the commerce equation you are one, seller or purchaser. Do not support their abused of anyone's product in order make us pawns in their little price war. So much for Google's supposed "we are the world, let's all get along" veneer.

Boycott Google! Even as a reader, you don't need them, as if you are on an Android unit, you can load an app to buy books from any vendor. If you are using a vendor specific unit, well, it's not even your choice, likely. Recently, B&N's Nook killed its side-loading of apps and you are limited to only what they offer in their own e-store.

GR needs to become more aware of how the big players are gaming the market at our expense, both authors and readers. That GooglePlay is now popping up in the forefront is suspicious.

And why is it popping up on an Amazon ASIN specific edition!?

---J.C.

message 26: by Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) (last edited Dec 06, 2012 04:31PM) (new)

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) | 9 comments £€#,!@$ snarl @@*%#^ — this still has me frothing at the mouth. Plus happened while I was trying to help authors with book links and had finally got mine exactly as wanted.

+1 to J.C.'s specific issues plus my own personal gripe bag of issues with copyrights, privacies, and a slew of technical headaches and app/software compliance stuff.

At least J.C. listed his book with them. Other authors just had books pop up. Sometimes uploaded entirely and free to download from google play. (@J.C. normally the book/purchase/ vendor links work better—at least once you figure out the secret sauce at goodreads of one distinct work with a lots of editions./formats; right now it's horrid and what works once fails the next time tried).

And as hyped up as I am, honestly, if goodreads had posted a request for members to beta test or participate in the experiment, I would happily have volunteered. As would lots of others.

It still drives me nuts if standard screen menus and buttons flicker and change (old programmer responses scream, there, there,didn't you catch that unstable glitch/ bug out of the corner of your eye? Go fix it before it becomes worse or spreads...).

A little announcement from goodreads that some testing or experimenting was going on and I would not have wasted time and effort worrying about.

message 27: by Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) (last edited Dec 06, 2012 04:39PM) (new)

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) | 9 comments I will argue just one itty bitty possible good about google play (depending on how they implement and they absolutely have to change their terms of service on copyright issues, pricing practices, etc.)—they were making some noises about tie ins to help local booksellers. In which case, however, I want to custom a button for my local bookstore—not one for google play. And my local bookstore can decide what if any connection they make to google play.

Don't even get me started about opt-out vs. opt-in settings and other security concerns.....

message 28: by Patrick, Product Manager (new)

Patrick Brown | 957 comments Mod
My post before may have been a bit confusing. If so, I apologize for that. The button is always a paid placement, akin to an ad. Barnes & Noble and Kobo are the two most frequent purchasers of it, but Google Play has purchased all of the book pages (regardless of what kind of book it is) for a few weeks. That's why the button may change from time to time. Hope that clarifies.

message 29: by MrsJoseph (new)

MrsJoseph | 3371 comments Patrick wrote: "My post before may have been a bit confusing. If so, I apologize for that. The button is always a paid placement, akin to an ad. Barnes & Noble and Kobo are the two most frequent purchasers of it, ..."

Wow.

Thanks. Good to know.

message 30: by J.C. (last edited Dec 06, 2012 05:34PM) (new)

J.C. Hendee (JCHendee) | 27 comments Thank you, Patrick... and I'm appalled by how stupid a decision it was to offer such a deal. Readers going to specific editions for specific non-Android ereaders are going to hit a dead end if they click the Google button. So what't the big deal?

It will reflect badly on GR for what the readers will perceive as broken links. Not to mention that even books with an ISBN may not be available on GoogleBooks.

Very bad PR for GR... and it was avoidable with some very basic scripting based on data already in the book records and offering sensible purchase of "targeted" ads. GR is dropping even lower in my opinion, and I will not buy books through this system. It's becoming too much hassle. And yes, authors are also readers... and customers.

message 31: by Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) (last edited Dec 06, 2012 07:22PM) (new)

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) | 9 comments When the ad was for Barnes and Noble or kobo, and book was available on their site—did a price show on the button in the middle?

I don't remember. With the google play button I see sometimes. Still really weird for me because I've never had anything but Barnes and Noble button since I joined goodreads.

message 32: by lafon حمزة (new)

lafon حمزة نوفل (lafon) | 532 comments Patrick wrote: "...The button is always a paid placement, akin to an ad..."

I was well aware of this. This is not what I'm complaining about. Your previous post, however, mentions:

Patrick wrote: "We have been doing some experimenting... [with] the links in the dropdown menu..."

This has me worried. Not only do I use these links for my purchasing (meagre as that is), but they are also invaluable for librarian work.