¡ POETRY ! discussion

WORTHWHILE! > Poets Needed in Business

Comments (showing 1-7 of 7) (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Harley (new)

Harley | 64 comments What skills do poets bring to the world of business? Should leaders be hiring poets to work in business? Check out this article on the benefits of poetry in business.

http://blogs.hbr.org/cs/2012/11/the_b...

message 2: by Mary (new)

Mary McCray | 4 comments This looks like a great article. I’m printing it out to read this afternoon. I’ve served as a somewhat ‘undercover poet’ in many departments of many companies over many years. Business is mostly creating, selling and problem solving. Same things a poet does. Business can always use people who can think metaphorically, not just in advertising—but in all areas of company communication, strategy making, and just in plain ole debating and persuasion skills used in the decision-making process. Eloquence has power and sway. It’s also a skill to be able to both wield and defuse jargon.

I’ve also been exploring about how poetry could be useful to non-poets, starting with college students and research papers: http://www.bigbangpoetry.com/2012/07/...

Mary McCray
http://www.bigbangpoetry.com

message 3: by Polly (new)

Polly | 3 comments Must read - a classic on this subject (IMO)!

The Heart Aroused: Poetry and the Preservation of the Soul in Corporate America
by David Whyte
4.19 · rating details · 205 ratings · 28 reviews
In the middle of the road of my life I awoke in a dark wood where the true way was wholly lost
-DANTE

Like Dante, many of today's corporate workers find themselves lost in the day-to-day duties of their jobs. Our lives seem shaken by the events of September 11 and the seemingly endless examples of corporate scandal, it's become more difficult than ever to find meaning in th...more
Paperback, 368 pages
Published June 1st 1996 by Crown Business (first published 1994)
ISBN 0385484186 (ISBN13: 9780385484183)
edition languageEnglish

message 4: by Ukatiyodi (new)

Ukatiyodi | 23 comments Poets have intuition which is necessary for a good business man. The ability to flash novel ideas into the mind and the skill to use it are part of a poet's routine and a business man too ought to have the intuition to know the pulse of the market and the skill to make use of it successfully. An inborn talent helps the poet to invent new word order and imagination. His ideas are ever novel and people appreciate whatever he has written. Practicability is more in a business man and he is not so emotional as a poet. What distinguishes a poet from a business man is that a poet is a dreamer and at times an introvert. A business man is an extrovert with a lot of communicative skill which enables him to conquer people easily. Being too emotional, a poet may not be fit to be a business man. But some aspects of a poet are essential for a business man to flourish.

message 5: by Harley (new)

Harley | 64 comments Thank you, Mary, Polly and Ukatiyodi, for your comments. Polly, I have heard of David Whyte but have not read his books.

message 6: by Honoria (new)

Honoria Groves (honorialice) | 66 comments It was while working in a business office that I began to share the poetry I wrote and as a result of the encouragement I received, I started to put my poetry into booklets (self-published). My facility with words helped me as a business correspondent.

message 7: by Harley (new)

Harley | 64 comments Thanks, Honoria, for sharing.