Boxall's 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die discussion

horror

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Salma (new)

Salma | 8 comments I love a good scare- especially from the printed page. So other than Stephen King (whom I've read extensively)or Anne Rice, can anyone recommend a good horror novel (or short story collection) to me? Quality horror though, not melodramatic dialogue paired with random hacking off of people's limbs. Looking forward to recommends!

message 2: by Stewart (new)

Stewart (booklit) Salma, you may appreciate 'House Of Leaves' by Mark Z. Danielewski. It's a big bulky book that is tricksy, clever, fun, and more. Intially it's about a house that is just a bit bigger on the inside than it is on the outside - and then, strangely, it seems to get bigger. No hacking of limbs and spurting blood.

message 3: by Salma (new)

Salma | 8 comments yeah, I've heard of that one! Never picked it up , though. I'll have to give it a try.

message 4: by Stewart (new)

Stewart (booklit) You may also like to look into Patrick McGrath. His novels aren't horror per se but the gothic tone set against the 20th Century works wonders, and just because it isn't horror (i.e. the genre) doesn't stop it from having its horrific moments.