The Dovekeepers The Dovekeepers question

Finished The Dovekeepers!
Beverly Beverly Dec 03, 2012 01:37PM
It took me a long time to get through this book. I found the beginging to be slow and tragic. But it did get better. I found Aziza the most intriging character, but they werer all interesting to me. All of the women were strong and their fates interestingly intertwined. Would like other opinions on the book. Positive and negative. BTW... I am not going to be reading this genere for a while, I am switching to a light Christmas dog mystery "Silent Night" Not that I did not enjoy, just for the variety.

I read this book recently for a book group and really liked it. The four women characters each were strong in their own way (some might even say "fiercly independent")- their stories so tragic. The decisions that they made, people they loved, were all so driven by forces and circumstances beyond their control - yet they all seemed to know their own mind and they made no apologies. It is a tragically beautiful story - so glad I read it!

I really loved the book too- I did a little review of the history after I read it; very intriguing. It did drag in the middle of it very slowly working up to the climax. It was pretty gruesome with very little relief at times.

I tried to read this book all the way through but gave up. I got about 1/3 into it.
I appreciate that it was well written and a good story, but the style of writing and the over use of metaphores bothered me and made the story drag.
I may give it another go in the future, but for now, I just couldn't enjoy it.

Amelie Rose I read this book in 2012 not long before I went to Israel. I visited Masada and the atmosphere, thousands of year after the tragic tale around which t ...more
May 20, 2014 08:01PM

I loved this book. It made me want to read more on the history of the time and to go visit Masada. The women characters were very well written but do agree it took a while to get into the book.

It took me ages to finish this book, for some reason I just couldn't get into it. Usually I'm drawn to anything Jewish like a moth to a flame (pretty sure I must have been Jewish in a past life!)but I just couldn't connect with this book.

I visited Israel shortly after reading this book and went to Masada. The place has a kind of mystical nowness to it - despite its age. It's easy to imagine what went on there when you look down and sight the camps where the romans lived for the four years it took for them to finally scale the walls. While in Israel I saw this piece of writing that resonated.
`Open, Masada, your gates, and I the refugee will enter. Behold at your crumbling feet I will place my spirit - place it on the anvil of your rocks and hammer it, hammer and forge anew!' From `Masada' by Yitzhag Lamdan. The Dovekeepers would be my pick of all the books I read in 2012 - I definitely recommend it.

Loved this. It was particularly cool to be able to look up the history on this. It is actually my first historical fiction. Got any others you recommend?

This quickly became one of my favorite books. I thought it was beautifully written with a complex story and characters. I loved how even the minor characters were so fleshed out and important to the story.

I started reading more Alice Hoffman books, and I like them, but they don't seem to be on the same level as this one.

If you aren't into very descriptive books - then this isn't for you. It did take a bit of "just keep reading" at the beginning. But one you meet the women, it's a page turner.

This was one of the best books I have read in a very long time. It was a little slow in the beginning but once it griped me, I was taken in by each of these amazing, resourceful, independent women. Having visited Masada myself it was easy for me to visualize the scenery and the views from atop the mountain, the battles fought, and misery lived by those at Masada. Truly a superb book.

I loved this book. It's a keeper. I'll give it a year and retread it for the joy of it. We change a lot in a year, I'll be a different person, will receive different insights. Thinking about assigning it to my students.

The characters were strong women and their stories were intertwined with the history of early Judaism. This was a hard book to put down once you started to read it. I did not find the story slow anywhere in the book. A lot of research did go into the history of the story. I gave it 5 stars.

This was one of my neighborhood book club selections. We had a very good disgussion on it. We generally agreed that it dragged a bit in the first part but when we got to know all the main charachters it got better.

I read this book last year about this time and truly found it to be wonderful. The strength of the women was unbelievable. I think this is a book worth revisiting.

I went to Google Earth as soon as I finished and found Masada! Amazing!

Judaism has always fascinated me & add to that the stories of strong fierce women along with the intriguing history of Masada & I was spellbound. Hoffman is known for her magical fantastical books but her heart & soul bleeds into the research & retelling of this tragic tale. She shows the struggles of women keeping the peace while pieces of their lives were shattering around them & how they held the keys to the kingdom. Love her works but particularly this one!

Betsy (last edited Feb 26, 2013 02:48AM ) Jan 04, 2013 08:07PM   0 votes
Hey,this was the last book I finished reading and then I saw this post! :D I also loved the strong and unique woman characters.I was struck by the fact that even though the women in the dovecote were friends there was alot they kept to themselves.
The book was terrific and one of the best I've ever read by Hoffman.Usually I consider her good but "fun and light" like Nora Roberts' supernatural fantasies.
But this novel of Hoffman's was at a whole different level.The research alone was impressive. I have a "thing" for the history of religion anyway and this fullfilled that need.If the story line is your thing, this is one book I'd reccommend to Danielle. Also I like the fiction of Atwells, HandMaiden's Tale . James Mitchner writes an interesting tome called The Source. The Red Tent by Anita Diamant The Source by James A. Michener Whew, I just edited this. I happened upon it after several months and realized the post hardly qualified as English...Geez.

Danielle Bogar I have been wanting to read The Red Tent, and I will check out the Source. Thanks Betsy!
Jul 16, 2013 06:45PM

I loved this book. It was on the tragic side, but I was so thankful to finally find a book were all the characters were women who were strong and independent and who didn't entirely rely on a man to fix their problems.

Granted their were men involved, and they were important to the women of the story, but these were all fierce women trying to survive under such persecution from both the Romans and other women of their refugee camp high in the mountains. I'll definitely be reading this one again.