She-Geeks discussion

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
Sci-fi & Fantasy Literature > Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? Discussion

Comments (showing 1-50 of 57) (57 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Anna  (Bananas!) | 758 comments I'm excited to see what everyone thinks of this book and also how you feel it compares to the movie.

How many of you are Philip K. Dick fans versus reading him for the first time?

message 2: by Bob (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bob I loved the book. I might even read it again for the December read if I can fit it in with the other books I'm reading including the comics.

Anna  (Bananas!) | 758 comments I wouldn't say I loved it...but I adore the movie and enjoyed reading it for that reason.

Kelly (xitomatl) Anna (Bananas!) wrote: "I wouldn't say I loved it...but I adore the movie and enjoyed reading it for that reason."

I've read it before as well, and I think my thoughts are quite in line with yours Anna. There are elements of the book I wished were more in the movie, but on a whole, I liked the movie better (and there's only one other book-made-to-movie ever that I can say that about!).

Anna  (Bananas!) | 758 comments Kelly wrote: "I've read it before as well, and I think my thoughts are quite in line with yours Anna. There are elements of the book I wished were more in the movie, but on a whole, I liked the movie better (and there's only one other book-made-to-movie ever that I can say that about!). "

What is the other book to movie?
I would have liked to have seen more about the mechanical animals in the movie. It's only the snake that they point out as artificial, right? I always thought the owl was supposed to be real.

message 6: by Kelly (last edited Dec 04, 2012 08:35PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kelly (xitomatl) Anna (Bananas!) wrote: "What is the other book to movie?"

Savages. Hated the book (and the pretentious way it was written), adored the movie. Although I liked how O was written better in the book because Winslow spared nothing to make her seem conceited and air-headed. In the movie they tried to make her too likeable.

Anna (Bananas!) wrote: I would have liked to have seen more about the mechanical animals in the movie."

YES! This is exactly the part I wish they hadn't cut so much out of in the movie, although I can see why they did (can you imagine movie-Decker whining about his sheep? It'd seem out of place). They touched on it a bit in the movie with the toy maker, but not overly.

message 7: by Bob (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bob Okay now I'm going to have to re-read the book to see if all those years of pop-rocks candy have changed my memories that I have from reading the book. Gulp, maybe I'm an android.

Of the people that saw the film Blade Runner which version did you like best?

Kelly (xitomatl) Bob wrote: "Of the people that saw the film Blade Runner which version did you like best"

Anna and I are both agreed that we liked the movie better.

As a side note: I saw the movie first when I was quite young, and have rewatched it an innumerable time since then, and years later reading the book and trying to picture Harrison Ford? The two totally do not jive.

Rebecca (flusen) | 117 comments I actually don't like Blade Runner, though I cannot really say why. It's just, when I think about it, I am certain I don't like it. Maybe I should watch it again, so that I can maybe at least say WHY (or even change my mind). ^^
I haven't started the book yet, but this was something I have wanted to read for years, but never quite got around to it. Even when I found out the film was based on this book, I still wanted to read it. So yeah. ^^ Let's see. Still got another book to finish before I start this one, though.

Anna  (Bananas!) | 758 comments Rebecca, I didn't care for Blade Runner for a long time either, and then for some reason I re-watched it and got so into it. Different frame of mind maybe?

Bob, the book IS good. I just saw the movie first so I see the book through that lens.

Kelly, ha, nope, cannot see Harrison Ford whining about sheep. :)
I want to see Savages! It looks really good.

Question: Has anyone read other books by PKD?

(Using initials because I refuse to refer to anyone as Dick. Well, unless they deserve it. It really amazes me when people have that as their first name.)

message 11: by Stefani - SpelingExpirt, White Rabbit (new) - rated it 4 stars

Stefani - SpelingExpirt (Speling_Expirt) | 307 comments Mod
I'm so glad this month is Dystopia month for me! There are some other books in front of this one for me this month but I can't wait to start reading it!

Anna  (Bananas!) | 758 comments Stefani wrote: "I'm so glad this month is Dystopia month for me! There are some other books in front of this one for me this month but I can't wait to start reading it!"

:) :)

message 13: by A.L. (new) - rated it 4 stars

A.L. Butcher (ALB2012) | 43 comments If I can find my copy I will read it, I saw it the other day and can I know find it. Such is the way of things.

message 14: by A.L. (new) - rated it 4 stars

A.L. Butcher (ALB2012) | 43 comments Right added it to my reading list. If I can't find it at the weekend I can buy a kindle copy.

message 15: by Bob (last edited Dec 06, 2012 03:46PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bob Spoiler Alert: My thoughts on Chapter One.

First of all I have to watch both versions of the film Blade Runner again because I'm thinking the Harrison Ford voice over version gave some more information than the director's cut but I'm not positive.

I can see why the 1rst chapter was cut from the movie as it mainly is showing you the landscape in which the film takes place, giving you a feel for why the characters act like they do and what their motivations are. World War Terminus had taken in it's wake not only people but animals and insects that they as a people had taken for granted. So much so that they had created mechanical versions of what is so rare to them now.(except for the cockroaches I imagine :) I guess dogs really or a mans best friend or even sheep.
The mood organs were an interesting item in the story. Would a person really program it so they would feel depressed? Especially considering the world in which they now lived. Is being depressed something that we need to feel every now and then possibly to make the good times that much better? I hope my thoughts on the book are not boring everyone to death. If so let me know and I'll stop and just go to sleep and start dreaming of sheep. :)

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) I read this so very, very long ago. I'm somewhat of PDK fan for the most part (some edged into too weird or too horror for me but always intense and engrossing). I barely remember this one so if year-end work and holiday plans die down I may re-read. As a kid, his works were hit and miss for me (too deep I guess) and as an adult I really enjoy.

I'm a Harrison Ford fan too (...ack...when is that Ender movie coming out) but when I first saw the film I went from confused to livid. I thought Bladerunner film was going to be the same titled Nourse book (and at the time I was devouring everything he wrote).

I love how these goodreads groups bring you back to authors not visited in a while. Plus the newly discovered....

Josephine (biblioseph) (auroralector) I've been looking for an excuse to read this for a long time. It's on my shelf and ready to go. I'm a first time Dick reader. Also looking forward to watching the movie. A soundbite from the movie is in one of my favorite songs: "May I ask you a personal question?"

Rebecca (flusen) | 117 comments Anna (Bananas!) wrote: "Rebecca, I didn't care for Blade Runner for a long time either, and then for some reason I re-watched it and got so into it. Different frame of mind maybe?

Bob, the book IS good. I just saw the m..."

Well, I guess I should re-watch it then. But first I'll finish the book. Have started reading earlier today and so far I like it. :)

message 19: by A.L. (new) - rated it 4 stars

A.L. Butcher (ALB2012) | 43 comments Well my hard copy has gone Awol so got it on Kindle now.

Kelly (xitomatl) Josephine wrote: "I've been looking for an excuse to read this for a long time. It's on my shelf and ready to go. I'm a first time Dick reader. Also looking forward to watching the movie. A soundbite from the movie..."

This is a good book for a first time PKD reader. Just don't start with Valis (anybody else never able to finish that one? I've tried at least a half a dozen times!).

Bob - definitely not boring! That's what this thread is here for! I think your idea of perhaps maybe having to have the lows with the highs is correct, at least that's what I took from the story when I was reading it. I love the way PKD slips stuff by you like that so quickly and a simple line or two makes you sit and ponder for a few hours.

message 21: by Bob (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bob The 2nd chapter was a nice set up chapter for the character featured in it and also a nice commentary I thought on how we as a society treat people that we deam different from the norm. Of course who are we to define what the norm is and is not.

Josephine (biblioseph) (auroralector) I'm gonna talk about Chapter Two a little:

(view spoiler)

Thoughts anyone?

**I used the spoiler tag because this will show up on my update feed and... some people aren't careful with spoilers.

Anna  (Bananas!) | 758 comments Josephine wrote: "Also looking forward to watching the movie. A soundbite from the movie is in one of my favorite songs: "May I ask you a personal question?"

Oh, what's the song?? I always loved "More Human Than Human" by White Zombie, which must be a reference to the movie. I don't think that phrase is in the book, but I can't quite remember...

Anna  (Bananas!) | 758 comments Lela wrote: "Are we allowed to cheat and watch the movie instead? :("

:) I think so, Lela.

Bob, I really hope there wouldn't be mechanical cockroaches!! LOL

Rebecca, very curious to see what you think of the movie on re-watcing and after reading the book.

Kelly, I've heard Valis is a bit much. I started reading Flow My Tears and got a little bored halfway through. Interesting idea though and I want to finish it.

Debbie, what else have you read and liked by PKD??

message 25: by Josephine (last edited Dec 09, 2012 07:55AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Josephine (biblioseph) (auroralector) I'm partway into Chapter Three, not really a spoiler, I think it's cool that the Soviet Union still exists, in a way. And Andys in the 70s? Sweet! (Also, Nexus 6 - a precusor to Google's Nexus 7? Lol.)

Anna (Bananas!) wrote: "Josephine wrote: "Also looking forward to watching the movie. A soundbite from the movie is in one of my favorite songs: "May I ask you a personal question?"

Oh, what's the song??"

I'm talking about: Whistling in Tongues from Felix Laband 8 minutes of South African electronica. The other soundbite is from that Natalie Portman and Jean Reno movie, Léon: The Professional. "... I'll die tonight, I can feel it. And I don't want to die tonight."

message 26: by Bob (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bob Could be a spoiler:

Chapter 3: What sets humans apart from the rest of creation? The answer in the book is empathy. I thought that interesting in the context of what is happening in the world today. I don't see a lot of empathy around. Maybe I'm just too jaded to see it.

message 27: by Bob (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bob He's off his Rocker Alert....

Chapter 4: To appreciate the existence of another and for someone to appreciate ours, isn't that what we all yearn for deep inside us. To know that somebody somewhere in this great big world of ours gives a damn about us. To know that if we didn't show up somewhere when we were suppose to that someone would look in on us. To know that we matter in the great big scheme of things to another person. That's the wonderful thing about pets, we have their unconditional love. They make us feel wanted.

Rebecca (flusen) | 117 comments Josephine wrote: "I'm gonna talk about Chapter Two a little: ..."
Better put this into spoiler tags, too. ;)

(view spoiler)

Anna, I think I'm gonna watch it sometime after Christmas. Hope I get some time for this, I'm actually pretty busy right now. meh.

Josephine (biblioseph) (auroralector) Rebecca, we always have such high hopes for how advanced we will be in only a few years time. Of course, when I read between the strokes of night I was glad to know we were not on the brink of international war in 2010, which was also when I read it. *nervous tittering*

I'm still only on Chapter Three. I mean, Mercerism sounds weird. Why would it become a religion? Just thinking out loud, I'm sure Dick will give us a reason. He can't be lauded as such a great without a little of exposition here and there to help the slower folks along.

Rebecca (flusen) | 117 comments Josephine wrote: "Rebecca, we always have such high hopes for how advanced we will be in only a few years time. Of course, when I read between the strokes of night I was glad to know we were not on the brink of inte..."

This is true. I've seen a picture from the 60s where they imagine the life in 2000. And "the housewife of 2000" has all kinds of awesome stuff to help her in the household. But of course she is still "only" a housewife. Also I think they imagined we would go more into the robot/android direction when we have all kinds of things they wouldn't have thought possible, but no robots for everyone (i.e. no robot maids and stuff like that).
And good that PKD's world didn't turn out to be a correct vision of the near future. The world would probably be empty by now.

About Mercerism, so far (only about 75 pages in), it seems to me that it is because his "religion" is based on empathy (or so I understand it). And I think that's one of the things humans seek most. So naturally people would be drawn to this. Even though I don't completely agree with the empathy only in humans and herbivorous animals part. And then if they have a machine that makes you feel empathy, just imagine you could get into this dream-like vision and get out with the feeling that people care about you. :) ...Seems like a pretty nice drug to me. ;) Still, I don't really understand this vision with the mountain and all. Well, maybe I'll understand it more later on.
I also like the notion that the TV/radio guy might be taking over. TV/radio/mindless entertainment instead of religion... Seems pretty accurate to me. At least for some parts of society. ^^

Anna  (Bananas!) | 758 comments Josephine wrote: "The other soundbite is from that Natalie Portman and Jean Reno movie, Léon: The Professional. "... I'll die tonight, I can feel it. And I don't want to die tonight." "

Another fantastic movie, probably my favorite.

Anna  (Bananas!) | 758 comments Rebecca wrote: "Anna, I think I'm gonna watch it sometime after Christmas. Hope I get some time for this, I'm actually pretty busy right now. meh. "

Hope you like!!

Anna  (Bananas!) | 758 comments Bob wrote: "He's off his Rocker Alert....

Chapter 4: To appreciate the existence of another and for someone to appreciate ours, isn't that what we all yearn for deep inside us. To know that somebody somewhere in this great big world of ours gives a damn about us. To know that if we didn't show up somewhere when we were suppose to that someone would look in on us. To know that we matter in the great big scheme of things to another person. That's the wonderful thing about pets, we have their unconditional love. They make us feel wanted. "

Awww, I want to hug this post. *virtual hugs*

message 34: by Josephine (last edited Dec 11, 2012 05:59PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Josephine (biblioseph) (auroralector) Rebecca wrote: "About Mercerism, so far (only about 75 pages in), it seems to me that it is because his "religion" is based on empathy (or so I understand it). And I think that's one of the things humans seek most. So naturally people would be drawn to this. Even though I don't ..."

Maybe it has similarities to the myth of Sisyphus? Rolling the rock uphill, walking up the mountain, especially since a lot of elderly folks don't make it up very far.

Also, the fact that his arm was injured while using the machine? Made me think that maybe it's a little like a holodeck, seems like a combination of Star Trek's holodeck and a group/conference call...

Walking up the mountain also gave me an image of those long journeys that some monks take, to travel to the Bodhi tree, or to tibet... It seems like a solitary journey, except that you feel everyone else with you... really spiritual, if not a real religion. I remember reading something that made me dislike Mercer, but I don't remember what it was...

Josephine (biblioseph) (auroralector) Bob, I like what you say about pets. However, still on Chapter four myself, I can't help but think the animals are symbolic to the people, yes of wealth, but also of what was destroyed by man. And if my suspicion at the end is correct, (view spoiler) then the animals are an extension of that idea, as we know that they are as valuable as our own selves, we benefit from each other. We provide food and shelter, they provide resources, comfort, empathy and companionship in their own way. Questions pertaining to the 'soul' will perhaps be addressed. Who that doesn't own pets not say, when asked, that they would bring their family members and pets out of their burning house?

But I still prefer animals as the symbol of the natural world destroyed, especially the owl that Rachel Rosen shows Decker on the roof in Seattle... He was going on about the owls before, and at that point has another go at it. I think it's well done as far as significance in the story and symbolism go...

I do wonder if Dick's vagueness about the reasons for WW Terminus is because he doesn't want to create too much politics in a more social work, or because he didn't create a reason. I mean, this version of USA and USSR seem to be getting on well enough.

message 36: by Donna (new) - added it

Donna Riley-lein | 3 comments "Electric Sheep" is a fine book, although PKD did use some clunkers especially toward the end. This is a complaint I have with many SF (and other) books. Toward the end the author/copyeditor seems to fall asleep.

Unlike many of you, I have not seen the movie, but plan to soon.

The story grapples with a Big Question: What does it mean to be human? I don’t think the question is answered in this novella, but it does give food for thought.

Unlike many PKD stories, this should be on the “classics” shelf.

Rebecca (flusen) | 117 comments Josephine wrote: "Rebecca wrote: "About Mercerism, so far (only about 75 pages in), it seems to me that it is because his "religion" is based on empathy (or so I understand it). And I think that's one of the things ..."

I guess you're right about that. :) I don't know much about spiritual topics so I can be kind of lost when authors allude to such things.

And also, since I'm done with the book now, I can watch the movie and compare. ;)

message 38: by Bob (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bob Anna (Bananas!) wrote: "Bob wrote: "He's off his Rocker Alert....

Chapter 4: To appreciate the existence of another and for someone to appreciate ours, isn't that what we all yearn for deep inside us. To know that somebo..."

Thank you. Hmmm that felt good. Hugs back. :)

message 39: by Bob (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bob Chapters 5,6, and 7:

If a wasp lands on me, he's dead. No questions asked. I don't care if he is the last Wasp in the universe. Just the thought of it makes me want to go buy some wasp spray. :) The Rosen Association's Nexus-6 wasn't quite smart enough to fool Deckard in the end. It was all in the questions. Totally going off track here maybe that's the secret of living life. It's all in the questions we ask of ourselves and others. Isidore unbeknownst to him meets a Nexus-6 and through his eyes we get a better feel for what they are at the core of their being. In his words "It was not what she did or said but what she did not do and say." This is why he felt the coldness emanating from her. Could it be that way with some of the people that we meet in our lives that try to win us over with words they do not mean. If only we could sense the falseness in their words and know they are just playing us. It sure would save a lot of heartache wouldn't it. In chapter 7 we again see how important pets are to the people left on the dying husk of the Earth. There maybe radioactive dust, pain, and misery here but having a pet helps them make it through their days as they do here in reality. I really wish I could have a dog where I live. I really miss having one.

Anna  (Bananas!) | 758 comments LOL Bob, you have some wasp aversion there. I'm not saying I like them either. A yellowjacket stung me on the face recently. Down with all bees and wasps!

Thx for the hug-back.

message 41: by Bob (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bob Anna (Bananas!) wrote: "LOL Bob, you have some wasp aversion there. I'm not saying I like them either. A yellowjacket stung me on the face recently. Down with all bees and wasps!

Thx for the hug-back."

Ouch, that must have hurt. I hope you got your revenge on that evil yellowjacket. Yes, death to all bees and wasps. Free bottles of Raid for everyone. You are welcome for the hug-back. They call me Mr. Hug. :)

Josephine (biblioseph) (auroralector) I really liked how it picked up toward the end. I didn't find it too clunky, Donna. But I do see what you mean.

Since I'm finished as well, Rebecca, I want to say some things. *gets out soap box* (view spoiler)

Anna  (Bananas!) | 758 comments Bob wrote: "Ouch, that must have hurt. I hope you got your revenge on that evil yellowjacket."

Yes, the blood of the yellowjackets and their children and their children's children was mine.

message 44: by Bob (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bob Anna (Bananas!) wrote: "Bob wrote: "Ouch, that must have hurt. I hope you got your revenge on that evil yellowjacket."

Yes, the blood of the yellowjackets and their children and their children's children was mine."

Now that's what I like to hear, a blood thirsty person.........out for revenge against the evil insects of this world. It's sort of like we should be in the movie Starship Troopers. :)

Anna  (Bananas!) | 758 comments Love that movie! We're so off topic now. :)

message 46: by Bob (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bob Anna (Bananas!) wrote: "Love that movie! We're so off topic now. :)"

It is an awesome movie and can you believe I just saw it for the first time less than a week ago. Shocking, isn't it.(and I call myself a geek) *shakes head*

Maybe while the androids are dreaming they are having dreams of this movie........yeah that's it. :)

Anna  (Bananas!) | 758 comments Bob wrote: "Maybe while the androids are dreaming they are having dreams of this movie........yeah that's it. :)"

Ha, I like that idea :)

Rebecca (flusen) | 117 comments Josephine wrote: "I really liked how it picked up toward the end. I didn't find it too clunky, Donna. But I do see what you mean.

Since I'm finished as well, Rebecca, I want to say some things. *gets out soap box* ..."

I couldn't open the spoiler on my phone, so I forgot about this for a day or two... xD

This is true. (view spoiler)

message 49: by Bob (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bob Well have just finished chapter 11 and I think the book is flowing really well. By this point and even before we have a firm grip on who Rick Deckard is and what drives him. Watching him on this journey he is on you can see how he has grown and evolved just in this short period of time. This book is a great read.

message 50: by A.L. (new) - rated it 4 stars

A.L. Butcher (ALB2012) | 43 comments Sigh, havent started yet, been reading the Hobbit. I will get there eventually and I have read this before.

« previous 1