Lainey Lurv Reads discussion

YA Series

Comments (showing 1-31 of 31) (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amanda (last edited Dec 03, 2012 08:38AM) (new)

Amanda Elliott | 12 comments I figured I might as well start a topic!

I've been on a YA kick lately, especially series.

These were all recommendations from a friend of a friend who works in the teen section at a public library. So far I have loved all the books she has recommended.

Here are the some of the books! (btw, clicking on the image sends you to the book page)

- Gracelng (book 1), Fire (book 2), and Bitterblue (book 3) by Kristin Cashore. (I personally loved book 1 and 3)
Graceling (Graceling Realm, #1) by Kristin Cashore Fire (Graceling Realm, #2) by Kristin Cashore Bitterblue (Graceling Realm, #3) by Kristin Cashore

- Grave Mercy by R.L. LaFevers (book 2 & 3 are not published yet)
Grave Mercy (His Fair Assassin, #1) by R.L. LaFevers

- The Diviners by Libba Bray (book 2 and 3? are not published)
The Diviners (The Diviners, #1) by Libba Bray

- Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas (I am reading this as soon as my hold copy is available! Only book one is currently out.)
Throne of Glass (Throne of Glass, #1) by Sarah J. Maas

Anyone else have some great YA series they would like to share?

message 2: by Babs (new)

Babs (babsdavis) | 3 comments I am on book 2 of 7 of an Australian series from the 1990s. The first is "Tomorrow, When the War Began" and it's been pretty good so far. It's about a group of teens that go camping for a week and return to find their town (and likely the whole country) has been invaded so they hide out and try to fight back.

They're all really short, under 300 pages, so they're fast. I'll post more when I've read through more of them

Tomorrow, When the War Began (Tomorrow, #1) by John Marsden

message 3: by Kirsty (new)

Kirsty | 5 comments Mod
great recommendations! I go back and forth on YA stuff, about every 5th book will be YA. I have Divergent on my nightstand, really enjoyed Insurgent.

message 4: by Babs (new)

Babs (babsdavis) | 3 comments A couple more dystopian trilogies for those who like Hunger Games and Divergent - am eagerly awaiting the finales for these!

Delirium, Pandemonium and the third, Requiem, will be out next year. The first one was good, second one was really good. Can't wait for the third!

Delirium (Delirium, #1) by Lauren Oliver Pandemonium (Delirium, #2) by Lauren Oliver

Chemical Garden trilogy, Wither, Fever, and the third, Sever, will be out next year. Super creepy series, but really enjoyable. I am surprised at who I'm rooting for in the love triangle!

Wither (The Chemical Garden, #1) by Lauren DeStefano Fever by Lauren DeStefano

message 5: by Kelli (new)

Kelli Catana (kellidaisy) | 12 comments I recently read Slammed and Point of Retreat by Colleen Hoover. Loved these books so much I couldn't put them down!
Slammed (Slammed, #1) by Colleen Hoover Point of Retreat (Slammed, #2) by Colleen Hoover

message 6: by Lisa Marie (new)

Lisa Marie | 4 comments Thanks for these recs you guys! I've only read the Hunger Games Trilogy and Divergent in terms of YA (so far), but I love it. I'm definitely going to check these volumes out!

message 7: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 2 comments Hey everyone! Thanks for these suggestions, I will be adding to my list - also, the series Lainey suggested by Megan McCafferty is great. Far from the dystopian/supernatural things that are mostly listed above, but this is a great teenage girl coming-of-age type series. Also I just found out I got into the YA course at school next semester (I'm getting my Masters in Librarianship) so I will for sure be sharing what I learn here!! The Complete Jessica Darling Series Sloppy Firsts, Second Helpings, Charmed Thirds, Fourth Comings, Perfect Fifths by Megan McCafferty

message 8: by Hope (new)

Hope | 2 comments Some of my favourite YA reads from the last couple of years were already mentioned above, but the ones I'd also add are:

The Mortal Instruments series:
City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1) by Cassandra Clare City of Glass (The Mortal Instruments, #3) by Cassandra Clare City of Ashes (The Mortal Instruments, #2) by Cassandra Clare City of Fallen Angels (The Mortal Instruments, #4) by Cassandra Clare City of Lost Souls (The Mortal Instruments #5) by Cassandra Clare

The Lunar Chronicles:
Cinder (Lunar Chronicles, #1) by Marissa Meyer Scarlet (Lunar Chronicles, #2) by Marissa Meyer

The Razorland series:
Enclave (Razorland, #1) by Ann Aguirre Outpost (Razorland, #2) by Ann Aguirre

Just started the first book in this series after seeing it recommended by another Lurver, and I'm already hooked:
Daughter of Smoke & Bone (Daughter of Smoke & Bone, #1) by Laini Taylor

And because I do sometimes read things that AREN'T post-apocalyptic/Dystopian/supernatural things, also:

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green
Spoiled (Spoiled, #1) by Heather Cocks

message 9: by Tara (new)

Tara | 8 comments Thanks for recommending Slammed! I just finished and I want to start it over again.

message 10: by Tara (new)

Tara | 8 comments Shadow and Bone (The Grisha, #1) by Leigh Bardugo
Loved this book and cannot wait for the other two in the series to be published. Also, Tell the Wolves I'm Home by Carol Rifka Brunt and Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein were excellent.

message 11: by Kelli (new)

Kelli Catana (kellidaisy) | 12 comments Tara wrote: "Thanks for recommending Slammed! I just finished and I want to start it over again."

Wasn't it amazing!!! Point of Retreat is the sequel! And if you loved that you will like Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuire - trust me!

Beautiful Disaster

message 12: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Elliott | 12 comments Great recommendations everyone! I just put so many books on hold at the library. I have so much good reading to look forward to :)

message 13: by Cathy (new)

Cathy | 3 comments All of these recommendations mean I'm asking or Chapters gift cards for Christmas. BTW...loved The Fault in our Stars.

message 14: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sukark) | 2 comments I second (third, fourth?) any of the John Green books. Other YA books that I love are the Chaos Walking series and the Maze Runner series. Delirium and Pandemonium were so good; I'm anxiously waiting the next installment! The first book by Jasper Fforde in the Shades of Grey series is also so fantastic.

message 15: by Karyn (new)

Karyn | 15 comments So glad I found my way here! Still trying to remember to check this. The Lainey Lurv group takes up so much of my free reading time :) I've grown to love a lot of YA thanks to Divergent/Hunger Games/Megan McCafferty, can't wait to check these out. I love reading book series. So where to start? Delirium? Daughter of Smoke and Bone? City of Bones?

message 16: by Tara (new)

Tara | 8 comments I vote for Daughter of Smoke and Bone! Just finished the sequel. Fantastic. I am about to start Graceling and then Delirium. Also, the other Lauren Oliver book Before I Wake is a really fast-past read. Kind of like Groundhog's Day in high school.

message 17: by Karyn (new)

Karyn | 15 comments Okay! Downloaded Daughter of Smoke and Bone! I'll start it right after I finish one non-YA that my husband made me get--The Day of the Triffids. Pre-dates 28 Days Later and TWD with the waking up in the hospital and slowly realizing something has really gone wrong with the world kind of opening!

message 18: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sukark) | 2 comments I just started reading the Mortal Instruments series. I'm about to start the third book...I'm undecided about it. I think I'll have to finish 5 published books of the series before I can form actual opinions on it.

message 19: by Kelli (new)

Kelli Catana (kellidaisy) | 12 comments The Providence trilogy by Jamie McGuire is also great - although I've just read the first book but can't wait to read the next two. The first one is called ProvidenceProvidenceand was a really great YA read. Will be downloading the other 2 to my Kobo today!

message 20: by Brenna (new)

Brenna | 6 comments YA dystopian - Divergent series, Legend by Marie Lu, Matched series by Allie Condie (Book 1 was okay; Book 2 was better), The Uglies series, Delirium was great as well as Lauren Oliver's other books. Maze Runner is another good one. I have 2 books from a series called Birthmarked by Caragh O'Briend in my "To Read" pile but haven't gotten around to them yet.

For paranormal - The Mortal Instruments and Kelley Armstrong - the Women of the UnderWorld series and the Darkest Powers and Darkness Rising series. The other series by the author of Mortal Instruments, Clockwork Prince I think it's called, is okay.

I read a YA book not too long ago that was really good but I can't remember the name - a girl, in a car accident with her family. She was a cellist or violinist, her boyfriend was in a rock band. Sound familiar to anyone?

message 21: by Brenna (new)

Brenna | 6 comments AHA - I remembered it ..... "If I Stay" by Gayle Forman.

message 22: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 2 comments Ladies - I am starting my course in YA tomorrow! For this course I have to write a blog, posting responses to our readings - I need a title for my blog! Anyone have any brilliant ideas?

message 23: by Tara (new)

Tara | 8 comments Brenna, I liked IF I Stay. I know there is a sequel and maybe a third one too.

message 24: by Kelli (new)

Kelli Catana (kellidaisy) | 12 comments I just downloaded the Mortal Instruments series after watching the trailer for the movie. It looks great and I can't wait to start reading!

message 25: by Heather (new)

Heather F | 1 comments Just finished Falling Kingdoms by Morgan Rhodes. I really enjoyed it. If you want to go the medieval route, then this one is for you. Graceling is one of my very faves, and this is similar.

message 26: by Tara (new)

Tara | 8 comments I just read Paper Valentine by Brenna Yovanoff. Loved it so much. Heartbreaking book about friendship, definitely going to check out her other books.

message 27: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Elliott | 12 comments I just finished reading Slammed and I loved it! I'm so bummed that my public library doesn't have the second book yet! I filled out a request form for them to purchase, so fingers crossed they do so soon!

I'm also going to be starting the sequel to Daughter of Smoke and Bone soon. Really looking forward to it!

Thanks for the recommendations so far!

message 28: by Karyn (new)

Karyn | 15 comments Anyone know when the 3rd book of Daughter From Smoke and Bone will be out?

message 29: by Karyn (new)

Karyn | 15 comments Have you seen the latest casting for Divergent with Zoe Kravitz and Maggie Q as Tori? I like this casting so far!!! Still nervous about Four.

message 30: by Amanda (last edited Apr 03, 2013 08:22AM) (new)

Amanda Elliott | 12 comments The 3rd book to Daughter of Smoke and Bone seems to only have an expected publication date of April 2014. Only one year to go!

I should really just wait until all books are out before starting a series. It can be so hard to remember the story after such a long wait and inbetween reading a million other things.

If anyone is interested in a completed fantasy series you should check out the Lumatere Chronicles. I'm only on the first book but I'm really liking it so far and all three books have great reviews.

Finnikin of the Rock (Lumatere Chronicles #1) by Melina Marchetta

message 31: by Karyn (new)

Karyn | 15 comments Ooh thanks, will add that to my list too. I'm definitely interested in a completed series for once!