Fans of The Hollows series by Kim Harrison discussion

Least favorite Hollows characters

Comments (showing 1-39 of 39) (39 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Erin ☕ *Proud Book Hoarder* (ErinPaperbackstash) I don't think there's anyone who's a regular that I dislike, she writes interesting characters. If I had to choose someone hit or miss, personally for me it'd be Ivy. I do LIKE Ivy, but sometimes the angst in the early books surrounding her got to me with her and Rachels relationship. Also some times she seemed a bit flat, although this could have been on purpose. I like to see a regular dose of almost all the regulars each book preferably, but if Ivy's not given tons of screen time, it doesn't bother me too much.

message 2: by Zeenat (new)

Zeenat (zeekwon) | 241 comments OMG, Erin, you and I may be the only people! I had such issues with Ivy in the first 6 or 7 books . . . I just didn't like her much. It wasn't until after kisten's murder got solved did I start to really like her. I really liked her in the last two books.

I don't like marshal or Pierce, they are boring to me.

I think I love to hate all the bad guys.

message 3: by Shahbaz (new)

Shahbaz (AbelisII) | 22 comments My least favorite character would have to be Nick. I never liked him from the first moment I read about him, he was just too secretive and knew too much to just be the book worm he tried to portray and boom he's a master thief who plays with demons. Maybe I'd like him more if he had more power, but since he's just a weak man with slightly enough wit to not be a demon slave as of yet he's on my list of least favorites.

message 4: by Zeenat (new)

Zeenat (zeekwon) | 241 comments I hate Nick. I can't wait till he gets what he deserves. But with bad guys, the more I "hate them" the better bad guys they are. Nick is so slimey lol KH did a great job with his character.

message 5: by Shahbaz (new)

Shahbaz (AbelisII) | 22 comments O yea, his character is definitely well written, but he's still garbage lol. I want him as a Demon familiar, and i'm just hoping he ends up under AL so he can sell him lol. I would just fall over laughing when it happens.

message 6: by Zeenat (new)

Zeenat (zeekwon) | 241 comments lol Al should sell him to Newt and make him dress up as a rat every day!

message 7: by VampireNovelFan (last edited Dec 03, 2012 06:50PM) (new)

VampireNovelFan | 489 comments Least favorite character would be Pierce. Nick is easy to hate because he's bad, but Pierce continuously rubbed me the wrong way and I was annoyed with him a lot, especially during BMS. He was just so smothering, and I'm personally still really bothered that he got to shrink with Rachel to be with Jenks when (view spoiler)

message 8: by Cher (new)

Cher | 80 comments VampireNovelFan wrote: "Least favorite character would be Pierce. Nick is easy to hate because he's bad, but Pierce continuously rubbed me the wrong way and I was annoyed with him a lot, especially during BMS. He was just..."

Because Ivy chickened out and didn't want to use magic. My least favorite characters are Jon and Ellasbeth.

message 9: by VampireNovelFan (last edited Dec 04, 2012 06:25AM) (new)

VampireNovelFan | 489 comments Cher wrote: "VampireNovelFan wrote: "Least favorite character would be Pierce. Nick is easy to hate because he's bad, but Pierce continuously rubbed me the wrong way and I was annoyed with him a lot, especially..."

I know, but I wish Ivy would have braved it just that once to help her grieving friend through the worst day of his life.

message 10: by Klint (last edited Dec 04, 2012 11:26AM) (new)

Klint | 22 comments My least favourite character is Ceri. She is arrogant and bossy and I dont like her mothering Lucy and living with Trent as if she is Queen of the elves.
She is a big hypocrite. Now she is "all for the state", but before she ran away in her wedding day.

The second is Pierce. He is annoying.

message 11: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (ReadingOnTheFly) Pierce has always annoyed me just because of the way he was introduced, hanging around the church for like a year as a ghost, then he assumes the body of a dead man, yuck. But he moved into MAJOR annoying territory with that whole bit about shrinking down with Rachel. That just wasn't his place at all.

I break down the characters like this (as of APB):

Primary - Rachel, obviously
Secondary - Jenks, Ivy, Trent, Al
Tertiary - Glenn, Quen, Ceri, Newt, Pierce (as of BMS)
Other - Nick, Lee, David, Glenn's dad (can't remember his name right now), Alice, Jon

So out of the MAIN characters, which is the primary and secondary characters, I would have to say that my least favorite would be Ivy. Which is not saying much because I do like her but she's by far been the least fun character for meto read about. I think that a huge part of that was due to the early books' angst and it has nothing to do with it pertaining to a potential F/F relationship. I read other books that have same sex relationships that I think are sweet and root for but the whole vampire scar/pheromones just put me off to any relationship with vampires in this series and that included Kisten too. I never thought he was a good fit for Rachel because of that either, though I know I am in the vast minority on that one, lol.

But yeah, I'd have to go with Ivy though (from MAIN characters) it's not by much. I enjoy her much more now that she's become healthier. In the early books she was like Eeyore, with the dark cloud hovering over her all the time. Out of all the other, non-main characters, it's Pierce.

message 12: by Zeenat (new)

Zeenat (zeekwon) | 241 comments Veronica G. wrote: "But yeah, I'd have to go with Ivy though (from MAIN characters) it's not by much. I enjoy her much more now that she's become healthier. In the early books she was like Eeyore, with the dark cloud hovering over her all the time. Out of all the other, non-main characters, it's Pierce.
"

I like your categories Veronica! I absolutely agree with you about Ivy. She drove me INSANE. I get she had issues because of Piscary, but dude, don't it out on on Rachel and be abusive yourself. and then it drove me that everyone wanted Rachel to enable Ivy (Like Kisten in FOC--it's the only time I wanted to beat him with a stick).

I really like her now that she is healthier and is not acting abusive to the people who are her friends and trying to help her.

message 13: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (ReadingOnTheFly) Yes! I remember that book where it seemed that everyone was trying to make Rachel feel guilty for not jumping at the idea of letting Ivy bite her. I just wanted to smack them all and tell them "Back off people! Rachel isn't comfortable with the idea so leave her alone." But in general it was hard for me to see the appeal of being roommates with Ivy in those early books when Rachel had to be careful of feeling any sort of strong emotion for fear of setting Ivy off in one way or another. Talk about a high maintenance friend. LOL! I felt badly for her with everything that Piscary did for her but she was just too "heavy" for me back then. But that's why she can be so helpful to Nina now. She's walked the walk.

Erin ☕ *Proud Book Hoarder* (ErinPaperbackstash) VampireNovelFan wrote: "Cher wrote: "VampireNovelFan wrote: "Least favorite character would be Pierce. Nick is easy to hate because he's bad, but Pierce continuously rubbed me the wrong way and I was annoyed with him a lo..."

Me too. Ivy did chicken out because she has this strange aversion to magic, but it would have been more appropriate being her. She, Rachel, and Jenks are this little family together.

Erin ☕ *Proud Book Hoarder* (ErinPaperbackstash) Shahbaz wrote: "O yea, his character is definitely well written, but he's still garbage lol. I want him as a Demon familiar, and i'm just hoping he ends up under AL so he can sell him lol. I would just fall over l..."

I don't know if he would be used as a familar but no clue. I think they look for stronger people for that, and isn't he human who dabbles with magic? They could sell him to work somewhere else in the ever after though

Erin ☕ *Proud Book Hoarder* (ErinPaperbackstash) Veronica G. wrote: "Yes! I remember that book where it seemed that everyone was trying to make Rachel feel guilty for not jumping at the idea of letting Ivy bite her. I just wanted to smack them all and tell them "B..."

I know two people who almost quit reading this series because of that :( Actually one person did! I told them, it gets better with that situation = I promise! That's the only negative thing about Hollows I can think of.

Again, I DO like Ivy, but much more now. She got better later books thankfully.

message 17: by Shahbaz (new)

Shahbaz (AbelisII) | 22 comments Ana wrote: "My least favourite character is Ceri. She is arrogant and bossy and I dont like her mothering Lucy and living with Trent as if she is Queen of the elves.
She is a big hypocrite. Now she is "all for..."

I think technically Ceri was Royalty 1000 years ago. I like Ceri to a certain degree, she's bossy and pushy but thats because she's from a different time and well hell she was royalty lol.

But I like her because she sees magic as magic, no black no white, just magic. I wish rachael could do that, it would be sooooooo much more fun reading how kickass she could be.

message 18: by Zeenat (new)

Zeenat (zeekwon) | 241 comments I love Ceri, I think she's my favorite female character, even more than Rachel. She is so strong and has been through things 100 times worse than Ivy . . . and she's so loyal. . .blunt. I love her

message 19: by Klint (new)

Klint | 22 comments She is loyal to herself...and in my opinion, she deserves what she get, dont forget she went willingly with Al. All because she wanted to scape the arranged wedding and to keep her beauty. Bah.

And after all Rachel did for her, when she discovered Rachel was a demon, she looked at her scared and ran away.

I agree about Ivy. The tension Rachel-Ivy was my least favourite part in the earlier books. When Ivy said byebye in PD I was "Yeeeeees, finally!". I like Ivy, but the sexual tension with Rachel and she acting like a jealous gf with her was annoying for me.

message 20: by Veronica (last edited Dec 05, 2012 07:32AM) (new)

Veronica  (ReadingOnTheFly) I've never minded Ceri. I was a little leery of her at first because I thought she was being brought in as Trent's new, real love interest - she even had that little crush on him. Thankfully things worked out differently. I do wonder though if Kim's original intent WAS to pair her with Trent. Hmmm. Anyway, I have always liked her well enough but I do admit that her home situation, and her being presented as Trent's S.O. in public, did not sit well with me. However, I do think that Rachel was wrong in thinking that she would have eventually married Trent for political reasons. She chose to go with a demon rather enter into an arranged marriage back when she didn't have real love in her life. Now that she had Quen, I'm not sure she would have so readily submitted to another arranged marriage. Plus, in EA when they're out riding she seemed to like the idea that Rachel liked Trent and seemed to be thinking over the possibilities until Rachel squashed it with her he'll-end-up-dead-if-he's-with-me doom and gloom.

But that's where maybe Trent and Rachel (and Quen since he seems to be in support of a Trent/Ellasbeth marriage - boo!) aren't thinking things through. Sure, maybe a T/E marriage would unite the elf factions but I think that an elf/demon union would be damned beneficial too. What better leader for the elves could there be than one who has cultivated and maintained close, personal ties with one of the few day-walking demons out there? Not to mention one of only two female demons in existence? The beauty is that this relationship with Rachel works in Trent's favor even if it never turns fully romantic. He doesn't need Ellasbeth anymore IMO. The rest of the elves would be idiots to not back an elf who has seemingly gained at least some grudging respect from the demons in general and the affection and loyalty of female demon specifically.

message 21: by Klint (new)

Klint | 22 comments Veronica G. wrote: "I've never minded Ceri. I was a little leery of her at first because I thought she was being brought in as Trent's new, real love interest - she even had that little crush on him. Thankfully thing..."

I agree with you 100%

I wish we get to see a wedding under the moon...

message 22: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (ReadingOnTheFly) I wish for that too, Ana, but I don't see it happening with the time we have left. Rachel hasn't even acknowledged her feelings yet. As long as the series ends with her and us knowing she's in love then my imagination can take it from there. And who knows, maybe years from now Kim will give us that moonlit wedding in a short story to be included in some anthology some day. ;)

message 23: by Ally (new)

Ally (allycats86) | 25 comments My least favorite character is Pierce. I found him to be extremely boring and I didn't like the way he was introduced into the series. I think KH could have done better than 'Hey! Pierce's ghost is in the church!'

I also didn't like the way he treated Rachel in Pale Demon. I can't help but wonder if he's going to turn on her at some point. Rachel is becoming more comfortable with her demon heritage and I doubt Pierce is going to take that well.

Erin ☕ *Proud Book Hoarder* (ErinPaperbackstash) Allyson wrote: "My least favorite character is Pierce. I found him to be extremely boring and I didn't like the way he was introduced into the series. I think KH could have done better than 'Hey! Pierce's ghost is..."

Yeah I wondered that too.

message 25: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 26 comments I've never liked Pierce either. He is my least favorite character. I hate the way he treats Rachel. He just annoys me so much. Actually I've never liked any of Rachel's boyfriends, not even Kisten, but Pierce least of all. I almost hope he does turn against Rachel so she can put him down.

Random thought: Did anyone think KH needed to bring Marshal back in APB? I guess she did it for closure but I don't think it was necessary. There was something in one of the books about Rachel seeing him at a movie theatre with a redhead. She waved, he ignored her. That was all the closure I needed from that wimp.

message 26: by Zeenat (new)

Zeenat (zeekwon) | 241 comments I think it was a contrast between Marshall wanting to "change her" or want her to be something else, to Trent who told her not to change. That's how I saw it

message 27: by VampireNovelFan (new)

VampireNovelFan | 489 comments I've only liked Kisten myself. Do you ship at all, Jessica?

message 28: by Jessica (last edited Dec 23, 2012 11:37AM) (new)

Jessica | 26 comments Trent, all the way, always! I've seen this coming since the begining. I'm so glad Rachel's finally getting to him.

message 29: by Tina (new)

Tina | 66 comments Least favorite would have to be Ellasbeth after reading Million Dollar Baby. I was so angry at her and glad for what Rachel did in book 5. Ku'Sox, Nick, and Jonathan are high on my list too (while I understand they play roles in the development of the story). I probably least understand Pierce's character, he is kind of creepy.

message 30: by Shahbaz (last edited Dec 23, 2012 01:15PM) (new)

Shahbaz (AbelisII) | 22 comments Here is a thought I had a while back.

I remember reading in this series that Demons couldn't be bound by vampires. Remember all the biting Piscary did to AL and such. And I think it was mentioned in a later book about not being able to bind a demon.

So, since demons can't be bound, Rachael is a demon, Soooooo Ivy can't bind Rachael to her because of it.

And we all know Ivy and Rachael love each other. I understand that Rachael doesn't want the F/F thing and they've finally moved beyond that. But since Glenn is gone now, moving out west or whatever with "the people who don't exist"

what happens to Ivy now?????

Just a bit of food for thought

message 31: by Zeenat (new)

Zeenat (zeekwon) | 241 comments On KH's website she talks about how Ivy is falling in love again (with a girl I think) and how Rachel and her probably won't happen.

message 32: by Shahbaz (new)

Shahbaz (AbelisII) | 22 comments Oh damn I really need to go catch up lol, been reading a different series the last couple months so i'm out of the loop on the Hollows stuff :(

message 33: by VampireNovelFan (new)

VampireNovelFan | 489 comments I think Nina and Ivy will get together.

message 34: by Zeenat (new)

Zeenat (zeekwon) | 241 comments That's my guess as well

Erin ☕ *Proud Book Hoarder* (ErinPaperbackstash) VampireNovelFan wrote: "I think Nina and Ivy will get together."

I think it's clearly where this is going.

Initially Ivy wanted Rachel to be her Scion, but when they found out she was a demon of course that can't happen now. Apparently it was just never discussed again. I think Ivy moved past that anyway after Piscary

message 36: by Toni (new)

Toni Adams | 3 comments I would say i dislike Nick the most. I hope we have seen the last of him. I also didn't care for Marshal, so i am glad he is gone. Nick was horrible and pretty much all the crap she went through was mostly his fault, but if he didn't do all that stuff we wouldn't have this great series to read.

message 37: by Toni (new)

Toni Adams | 3 comments I forgot to add that although Nick sucked, he was a good bad guy and he played it well. i hated Pierce. He also just made things harder and was just annoying. But he did take the blame for Trent, so Trent would live. He never listened and always trying to kill demons. He bugged me andi wish she never got involved with him

message 38: by Tracy (new)

Tracy (tracyw) | 22 comments I don't like any of the master vampires. They creep me out. I don't understand why they think they have any right to tell Rachel what to do - she isn't a vampire.

message 39: by Bree (new)

Bree | 11 comments I don't mind Nick. He's all right for the role he plays in the series. I am not a super big fan of any of the vampires except for felix/nina.