Vampire Academy (Vampire Academy, #1) Vampire Academy discussion

movie

Comments (showing 1-19 of 19) (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ali (new)

Ali Jeanine Since I LOVE Divergent (yay Four) and Hunger Games (who doesn't)

Diana does anyone know whose playing rose i keep hearing emma roberts and sophia bush but i don't know if it's true or not?

message 3: by Dani (new)

Dani I agree, there has been some really great dystopian stuff lately. (thank you Hunger Games for bringing it to my attention) The Forest of Hands and Teeth series by Carrie Ryan is really good, but slightly scary

message 4: by Ali (new)

Ali Jeanine That is on my to read list and I think my library has them all digitally.

message 5: by Dani (new)

Dani Have you read anything from Scott Westerfeld? His Uglies series is really interesting and definitely makes you think about superficiality in this age of plastic surgery.

message 6: by Ali (new)

Ali Jeanine will be getting this from the library.

Devon I read Uglies. Haven't gotten into Pretties. I like it, but there are so many others on my list that it didn't hold my attention enough to put it at the top.

Wool was really good. Short story so it's real quick to read, but definitely a cool premise. Apparently there's more in the series.

message 8: by Dani (new)

Dani I thought Wool looked really interesting and have added to my library list. One that I just finished called Poison Princess by Kresley Cole was really good. It started a little oddly, but it was an interesting combination of dystopian future, including zombies and some creepy vampires, and fantasy. It really gave me some insight into Tarot and what the different cards can mean but also brought a good story.

message 9: by Ali (new)

Ali Jeanine The Night Circus gives some insight into Taro too

message 10: by Dani (new)

Dani I really enjoyed the Night Circus and I had not been expecting to. It kind of snuck up on me and before I even realized I was most of the way through it and really enjoying it.

message 11: by Ali (new)

Ali Jeanine even though that is actually for adults, I think we can include it in this group. That book was heartstoppingly beautiful I thought. and truly heartbreaking. I cried a whole bunch.

message 12: by Dani (new)

Dani I agree, it should definitely be included. It was such a beautiful book and story. The whole time I was reading I kept picturing the setting, and from the way I imagined it, it was just breath-taking. I almost want to see it in like a movie or something just to have a visual of the circus itself.

message 13: by Ali (new)

Ali Jeanine Ok, Dystopian Futures that I have read so far...

Hunger Games (duh)
Divergent Trilogy (with the included Free Four short story, Four is by far my favorite character)
Delirium series (this one seriously disturbed me but it is worth reading)
The Giver (which I haven't picked up in a long time)

To Read List:
Forest of Hands and Teeth
Matched
Reread The Giver

What have you read and not read? Thoughts on ones worth reading. I can't keep up with my read list on here.

message 14: by Dani (new)

Dani I have read:
The Giver and Gathering Blue, but not the other 2 in the series.
Hunger Games (and I need to reread those again soon)
Divergent and I agree, Four is awesome, and is the short Four story available in e-book form?
Forest of Hands and Teeth.
Uglies series
Partials by Dan Wells very interesting and kind of brings to focus the issues of genetic engineering and what is too far.
Matched series, but not the newest one yet
Starters (not worth reading)
Poison Princess, by Kresley Cole
Eve by Anna Carey, very intersting
Ashes by Ilsa Bick: intriguing since it starts from the beginning of hte end of the world, so you get to see things as they develop.

I haven't read the Delirium series but it's very intriguing.
I have to admit I had not realized I had read so much dystopian YA until I started going through the list.
Have either of y'all read the Maze Runner series by James Dashner? I tried the first one, and just could not get into it.

Devon I feel like my entire "to-read" list is either YA dystopia or dragons and vampires and weres..

I know I've read more books than I have on here, but I go to put them in and I forget.. =(

message 16: by Dani (new)

Dani I only have as many as I do because I had been keeping track in a journal and so just put them all in. And while I will read pretty much anything, all the dystopian, vampires, werewolves, retold fairy tales, faeries, witches, wizards, etc are still my faves.

message 17: by Ali (new)

Ali Jeanine I think we are all in the same boat in the To Read category hence why this group was necessary.

Dani, I love retellings of fairy tales too. I read most of Gregory Maguire's books (Wicked series, Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister etc.)

message 18: by Dani (new)

Dani Gregory Maguire is awesome. Wicked pretty much got me into college, lol.
I swear my "to-read" list grows exponentially overnight sometimes. But there are so many good books out there, and I feel that a lot of those are in the YA category. And because of this and books like The Hunger Games, Harry Potter, Percy Jackson, etc. authors are proving that just because something is YA it doesn't mean that it has to be pointless fluff or just about the trials of high school and getting a boyfriend.

Morgan Rudd idk but im ober excited to se it!!! :)