Persephone Books discussion

Greenbanks > Finished?

Comments (showing 1-5 of 5) (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Gina (last edited Dec 14, 2012 06:32AM) (new)

Gina | 340 comments Mod
I'm a little more than halfway done...is anyone ready to discuss? I love the relationship between Louisa and Rachel.

message 2: by Rosemary (new)

Rosemary | 94 comments I really enjoyed this. It was my first Dorothy Whipple and I'm looking forward to reading more. I thought Louisa was lovely, and her charm came across very well. Charles's too. I also liked (or rather, loved to hate) Ambrose!

message 3: by Susan (new)

Susan | 74 comments I liked to hate Ambrose, too. I was intrigued by the companion Kate ...somehow her feelings and needs were always at odds with Louisa's good hearted intentions.

message 4: by Gina (new)

Gina | 340 comments Mod
Ugh, that Ambrose... :) Whipple didn't have a lot of nice things to say about the men in the stories. I think the only admirable man in the story was John (after Charles died, anyway). I think my favorite character was Kate, because she was so complex. I don't blame her for the way she reacted at the end of the story...Louisa was right--learning about her son's visit and about the "celibate priest" was too much for Kate. I wonder what will happen to Kate in the future?

message 5: by Susan (new)

Susan | 74 comments I am not too optimistic about Kate's future. Seems like the only way she can support herself is as a companion...so few options for women in those days