Dreamspinner Press discussion

Contests > Holiday Festival Contest question!

Comments (showing 1-28 of 28) (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dreamspinner (new)

Dreamspinner Press (Dreamspinnerpress) | 2637 comments Mod
For the month of December, Dreamspinner will be giving away a gift certificate each day to one lucky person who answers a question on Twitter, Facebook, or Goodreads. Today's question is...

What's the funniest scene you've read in a Dreamspinner Press book? Please be as specific as possible!

message 2: by Madison (new)

Madison Parker (madisonparklove) | 5 comments The scene from Shy by John Inman where Tom has to help birth the piglets by shoving his hand up inside mama's womb. He's completely shocked and horrified the entire time, and it's hilarious.

"And suddenly I understood. Everything. I grabbed Frank's shoulders and made him look me in the eye. 'Frank, I can't go in there. What if I hurt her? What if my hand gets stuck and I have to walk around with Grace on the end of my arm for the rest of my life? I can't even reach in and pull that little packet of turkey guts out of a Thanksgiving turkey without barfing.'"

message 3: by Bill (new)

Bill Gay, | 1 comments Poppy's "Body Magic" - page 20. Cade & Liam walking to Gray's house, talking about not being able to sleep that night and both going on patrol - Liam snickered "Did you happen to walk past Gray's last night?" Cade - "Yeah. It was quiet everywhere else. Who knew Simon was a screamer?" - I damn near fell out of my lounge chair laughing my ass off!! Totally didn't see THAT coming!!

message 4: by Cindi (new)

Cindi (CKLyn123) | 7 comments Bear's coming out scene (with the family) in Who We Are. I choked on my coffee I was laughing so hard.

message 5: by Andrea (last edited Dec 03, 2012 08:39AM) (new)

Andrea (SpringStream) | 3 comments Mine is from Who We Are too. Cindi's was probably my favorite scene but I'll choose another one from the book. The scene where Bear first meets the therapist was hilarious.

message 6: by Amanda (last edited Dec 03, 2012 09:19AM) (new)

Amanda  (peanutty222) | 2 comments The whole beach date scene in Bear, Otter, and the Kid where Ty and Bear plan a big date for him and Otter. It ends up being disastrous, seagulls eating their food, the tablecloth catching fire, "Achy,Breaky,Heart" playing in the background, the downpour and finally Bear botching The Poem ;)

message 7: by Crissy (new)

Crissy Morris | 15 comments In Just What the Truth Is when Ben meets Micah's family for the first time and Micah's mother is obsessed with finding out if Ben has any Jewish ancestry, when Micah becomes exasperated and tells her to drop it this happens...

She was talking to Micah in what I think was supposed to be a whisper but really wasn’t.

“So tell me this, is he circumcised?”

That’s it. I was scarred for life.

“Are you fucking kidding me right now, Mom? Did you seriously just ask me about my partner’s penis?

So funny! But that's not all...when they finally go upstairs to Micah's room, Micah starts putting on a fake sex show for his parents...and then is sister walks in...

He jogged over to the bed and threw himself down on it, making it squeak loudly. “Oh, Ben, yeah!” he shouted.

My eyes widened in horror, and I hissed at him, “Micah! What in the hell are you doing?”

He winked and kept bouncing as he yelled. “Harder, Ben, harder. Pound that big, hard, circumcised dick into me. Oh, yeah!”

Life doesn’t do much to prepare you for watching your boyfriend put on a sex show for his parents, even if it is just auditory.

Love it...I'm not sure I do it justice though...you'd have to read the book...it's chapter 23 :D

message 8: by Alby Krebs (last edited Dec 03, 2012 12:32PM) (new)

Alby Krebs | 1 comments I loved the online chatting scene in Galley Proof when the editor is trying to get the writer to change his book, to "gay it up." I remember laughing a lot at the scene.

It's a long bit of funny dialogue, but my favorite lines are,
Brockkimble: Have you ever seen Caligula? My point is you need to dirty it up.
LoganBrand: Gay it up and dirty it up. So, the reading public is now filled with filthy perverts?
Brockkimble: You got it. So shock me, hooker. Make me think the worst of you.

message 9: by Amy C. (new)

Amy C. The opening scene from "One Small Thing" by Piper Vaughn & M.J. O'Shea where the one girl Rue has ever slept with is right behind him and he's freaking out.

"“RUE?”
I froze.
Damn. Double damn.
I felt the presence of a person before I turned around. Britney was playing, and I’d been shaking my butt and taking a gulp of my water, relieved to have a moment’s break in the middle of a long, sweaty night, when I felt her.
Natalie.
How did I know it would be her before I turned around? I guess ’cause my mistakes always seem to come back to haunt me in some fashion. If only I’d had a clue, I might have hidden before she saw me. I think that would’ve been my worst mistake yet.
“Rue?” Her voice was the same the second time she said my name. Oh, sigh. I hadn’t been hallucinating after all. Please tell me she hasn’t somehow missed the glaringly obvious fact that I’m, like, super gay, and, while alcohol may have changed that for one god-awful half hour of my life, it sure as hell isn’t going to happen again!
I turned, ready to cringe.
“Hi, Natalie.” I tried to smile. It kinda failed. I wanted to squeeze my eyes shut and pretend she was George Cloon—ewww, was her eye makeup really that bad when I decided she’d be my girl-periment? You’d think even a super-sloshed me would have better taste than that!"

I laughed so hard I sccared my roommate! Is vagina really that bad?? It probably wasn't a walk in the park for her either.

message 10: by Syfy (new)

Syfy (sylvan65) | 12 comments Dignity Takes A Holiday... um, the whole entire book? Ok, ok, 90% of the book. The MC's name is Peter Thickwhistle, begin there and move on to the scene where his mother walks into his bedroom and witnesses a herd of cats "molesting" Pete.
Although, he did cover his own naked body in food stuff and invite the neighborhood ally cats in to dine. Yes it sounds weird, but hysterically funny!
;P

message 11: by Nick (new)

Nick | 10 comments In Who We Are by TJ Klune, when the Kid comes into the room wearing a shirt with the slogan WANT LONGER LASTING SEX? BECOME A VEGETARIAN!

I laughed so hard after reading that scene!

message 12: by Bryony (new)

Bryony Goddard | 2 comments Jumping on the Who We Are bandwagon; so hard to choose a specific scene though! It's a toss-up between the huge family dinner (chapter 3) and the therapist's office, especially Otter and Santa Claus (chapter 6). But overall, basically, about 80% of the book. If I'm going to be semi-original and cite a scene which hasn't been mentioned yet, it'd have to be my favourite of Bear's internal monologues--I always love the dialogue that follows. Chapter 6:
“Clock,” I mutter at the both of them. “You’ll be happy with a fish, and I am not a penguin who goes to Stonehenge. Craigslist isn’t getting my juices, that’s for damn sure.”
Otter and the Kid glance at each other before the Kid says, “I don’t think even I could figure that one out.”
“Maybe you can buy penguins on Craigslist?” Otter suggests.
“I don’t think they have a penguin section,” the Kid says wisely.
“Ah,” Otter says.
“What were we even talking about?” the Kid asks.
“I never know,” Otter assures him.

message 13: by Marie (new)

Marie | 8 comments I enjoyed "Hot Head" by Damon Suede for many, many reasons, but one of my favorite things was the humor of Griff's inner monologue. Sometimes he was self-deprecating and wry, sometimes he really leaned into his Brooklyn accent, and sometimes he recalled jokes and memories from his time with Dante and the rest of the Anastagio family. No matter what he was experiencing or thinking at any point of the book, the reader got a sense of Griff's courage, humor, and heart.

message 14: by Taya (last edited Dec 03, 2012 12:51PM) (new)

Taya Who We Are
Chapter #3 -Where Bear Attends the most awkward dinner Ever

The whole scene after Creed explains why he's so mad at Bear.

message 15: by Juliana (new)

Juliana (JulesLovesBooks) | 206 comments I am sticking with my go to gal, Amy Lane. I love the scene toward the end of The Winter Courtship Rituals of Fur-Bearing Critters when Craw gives Ben a knitted, um, "sock" for a certain private area! It was so sweet, but I still could have died laughing!

message 16: by Penumbra (new)

Penumbra | 41 comments I have to go with Juliana with The Winter Courtship Rituals of Fur-Bearing Critters and probably the same situation where Ben laughed at the 'unmistakeably phallic tubes of wool, each of them complete with a contrasting color' on certain parts :)

message 17: by Mickie (new)

Mickie | 40 comments My choice is from Amy Lane's Making Promises In it Shane has taken Mikhail home for the first time. When Mikhail meets Shane's big dog for the first time he actually climbs up Shane to get away from the furry dragon.

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Let's just keep going on the Amy Lane trend with Clear Water and Patrick's "squinky" rant to Fly Bait about why he wasn't good at sex. He just keeps going and going and she gets more and more not okay/bad touch with the whole subject and it's just hysterical.

message 19: by Melora (new)

Melora | 8 comments Put me on that Who We Are bandwagon. The most awkward dinner ever is first rate, but as mentioned above there are other excellent scenes as well. Now I'll try to be original and say Written in the Stars was full of humorous bits, but I really enjoyed Bailey bemoaning the popularity of the astrology column he's been forced to write.

“It’s the fact that it kind of works that really gets your goat, isn’t it?”

“Yes! It’s driving me insane that so many people are reporting how accurate the random crap I make up is turning out to be!”

“Only you would be so upset. Most normal people would simply stop worrying about it and enjoy the ride. It must suck being a genius.”

message 20: by Amy (new)

Amy | 4 comments Hola , So many funny scenes in different books its kinda hard to pick just one but here it goes
My choice is Armed & Dangerous

“We apologize for the necessity of the strip search. But it seems you have a reputation for… producing keys.” Ty shrugged. “Don’t worry about it, that’s not even the first one I’ve had this week,” he said, voice wry. He looked at Agent X and grinned widely. “It was the most fun, though, huh?”
Agent Y blinked rapidly, as if trying to hide his reaction. Ty grinned and pointed two fingers at Agent X. “This guy, man. He likes it rough,” he said with a chuckle. He topped it with a suggestive wink at Agent X, pointing his thumb and pinky at himself and mouthing “call me.”
“That’s enough,” Agent Y murmured. Ty enjoyed that the man was uncomfortable, probably more than he should have. “Your task was to retrieve and deliver a CIA asset by the name of Julian Cross, correct?”
“No, no, you’ve got this all wrong. I was sent to get milk. I got 2 percent instead of skim and everything went ballistic. I mean you’d think I brought home soy milk or something!”

I laughed so hard until I had tears running down my face

Roux, Abigail (2012-05-17). Armed & Dangerous (Cut & Run Series) (Kindle Locations 4998-5006). Dreamspinner Press. Kindle Edition.

message 22: by Amy (new)

Amy | 4 comments LisaT - We Are Qhuay! wrote: "LOL, good one Amy :)"

I see Ty sitting there really serious saying that

message 23: by MiMi Rae (new)

MiMi Rae | 13 comments Quirkythrope wrote: "Let's just keep going on the Amy Lane trend with Clear Water and Patrick's "squinky" rant to Fly Bait about why he wasn't good at sex. He just keeps going and going and she gets more and more not ..."

That's my favorite to...Amy is so good with the snarky dialogue

message 24: by Syfy (new)

Syfy (sylvan65) | 12 comments I am laughing my behind off reading through these! Ah, memories... especially #19 by Mickie. One of my favorites too!

message 25: by Dreamspinner (new)

And the winner of this contest thread is Andrea! Andrea, email Ariel at ariel at dreamspinnerpress dot com to claim your prize! We'll have a new contest on Goodreads in two days.

message 26: by Mickie (new)

Mickie | 40 comments Congrats Andrea

message 27: by Andrea (new)

Andrea (SpringStream) | 3 comments Dreamspinner wrote: "And the winner of this contest thread is Andrea! "

Mickie wrote: "Congrats Andrea"

Thanks

message 28: by Dreamspinner (new)

Check our Facebook for today's #HolidayFestival question! One winner chosen at random will win a $10 gift certificate: http://www.facebook.com/dreamspinnerp...