FSC Book Club discussion

The Homemade Pantry: 101 Foods You Can Stop Buying and Start Making
This topic is about The Homemade Pantry
The Homemade Pantry > Aisle 11 (Candy & Treats)

Comments (showing 1-17 of 17) (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Christine, FSC BOOK CLUB MODERATOR (last edited Dec 03, 2012 06:16AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Christine | 107 comments Mod
We've reached the final chapter of The Homemade Pantry: 101 Foods You Can Stop Buying and Start Making! We'll still have one more formal check-in and online discussion after this though, so don't hang up your aprons just yet.

December is here and holidays are just around the corner- how fitting, then, that we are on the chapter about candy and treats! The recipes in this chapter will make beautiful, delicious holiday gifts or contributions to a holiday party. I picture gifting jars of fruit rollup (like this FSC blog post suggests) or packaging homemade marshmallows with a hot chocolate mix (made from the recipe in Chapter 10).

Turn up the holiday music- or just regular music- and get festive!

Your assignments:

First, tell us your favorite holiday treat. Is there a Christmas cookie you look forward to all year long? Do you crave candy canes? Are you a sucker for egg nog? Share your holiday vices here :)

The second assignment is, of course, to pick a recipe and make it! Test it out, wrap it up & share photos of your tasty edible gifts. Put a bow on it. Wrap it up in fancy tissue paper. Turn at least a few of your holiday gifts into tasty edible ones- I guarantee your recipient will love it! (More edible gift ideas can be found at the From Scratch Club blog.)

Your THIRD assignment is to come to our in-person meet-up with Alana Chernila this Saturday! If you are a local book clubber, check out the info below and stop by to say hi, get your book signed and chat with Alana and fellow book club members.

As always, post photos of your creations and here on Goodreads, over on Facebook, on Twitter or on Instagram. We may feature your FSC Book Club check-in on the From Scratch Club blog!

REMINDER: FSC BOOK CLUB EVENT!

The Homemade Pantry: 101 Foods You Can Stop Buying and Start Making author Alana Chernila will be visiting the Troy Farmers Market in Troy, NY on Saturday, December 8! Alana will be signing books at the From Scratch Club table from 9am-1pm. Stop by! Chat! Meet us for an IN-PERSON BOOK CLUB MEETING! Get your copy of The Homemade Pantry signed! (Let us know you're coming by RSVPing at the Facebook event page.)

Books will be sold for $21 + tax.

Casey (kcrose210) | 74 comments My favorite holiday treat (that I need to recipe for!) is a cookie my mom started making years ago from gourmet magazine. It is a chocolate cookie that is rolled in powdered sugar. They are devine.

I already made some of the gifts from the FSC blog (thanks for the great ideas!) I will see if there is anything else I need to make. I love giving homemade gifts especially as hostess presents and have already labeled lots of my summer canning stash for gifts.

Wish I could make it this week, I am jealous you all get to meet up.

message 3: by Kate (new) - added it

Kate Hayner | 19 comments My favorite holiday treats that I make are angel crisp cookies (a recipe handed down through the family for close to 100 years and eggnog cheesecake - which absolutely rocks. My favorite treat that I don't make is eggnog with booze (rum or brandy).

Markie | 9 comments I'm way behind but I did complete the third assignment for this week!!! I met Alana at the Farmer's Market in Troy!!! I've been reading the Kindle edition of the book but now have a hard copy of the book signed by the author!!! Hoping the beautiful color photos in the book will actually inspire me to start cooking!!!

Marilyn  (goodreadscommarilyn_zembo_day) | 25 comments I am so far behind in assignments that I can't begin to catch up. I've been out of circulation w/terrible tooth infection under a bridge that resulted in surgery &extraction. Just getting back to normal. But can certainly address part of this assignment right now and do a little catch-up re what I did manage to make from HOMEMADE PANTRY. Couldn't make it to Troy to meet Alana, however, cuz it was too close to surgery. (Alana, if you see this, please know that I really wanted to get there.)
My fav holiday treat: risotto cookies. The name is misleading cuz there's no rice in them. Important ingredient is ricotta cheese. So easy even my husband has made them. Blogged about them after last Xmas, with recipe, http://kitchencauldron.wordpress.com/.... Have made them every Christmas since receiving recipe back in late 70s/early 80s.
I made Alana's Yellow Cake, as cupcakes, several weeks ago. Didn't remember to take a picture. Must say it's about the best yellow cake I've ever made (&have tried lots of excellent recipes).
In a more recent blogpost (couple days ago) I wrote about making cranberry sauce. Not Alana's recipe but interesting that we both include orange in ours. As for pasta and for frozen foods, I've got two lasagnas in the freezer, made several days ago, one with meats and one a cheese one, both for Christmas Day. Made with my own From Scratch sauce, partly concocted with canned tomatoes but also including the last of heirloom grape tomatoes and herbs from my deck this summer. (I'd made a basic marinara sauce in early Sept &frozen that-- added to it to make lasagnas.) Again, not Alana's recipe, but along the same lines.
What I want to try baking are the hamburger rolls but not sure there's time before the holiday. I am behind in everything cuz of infection.
As for current chapter, I might try making the p-nut butter cups. They are a fav of hubby &son. Could add to stocking gifts. And I can't believe I'm writing this, but I'm drawn to the "Cream-Filled Snack Cake." I never liked Twinkies but might enjoy these. Went online to try to buy 1 of canoe pans (to save time in making them) but seems that almost everybody is out of them- must be panicked Twinkie fans are thinking alternative is to make them themselves! Besides, they appear to be pretty expensive.

message 6: by KitchenNinja (new)

KitchenNinja | 37 comments I, too, had my heart set on making the Twinkies, but time just got away from me. So I made the chocolate bark instead -- wow, am I glad I did! So easy, so awesome! I blogged about it: http://yankee-kitchen-ninja.blogspot....

message 7: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy | 89 comments Made the caramels today to add to my Christmas sampler boxes. They are so rich and creamy. I had a small disaster with the mixture boiling over, which interrupted it getting to temperature. I wasn't sure what impact that would have on the finished product. I think it is a bit sticky, however, it doesn't seem to stick on the wax paper wrappers, so I call this a success! Picture posted.

message 8: by Lekeshua (new) - added it

Lekeshua @ kitchen, the chocolate bark looks delicious. Definitely trying. I must of over looked this recipe. Trying Thursday. @ Amy, I am making homemade goodies for gifts as well. I think I'm going to expand my gifts into a sampler. Now to find a cool way to package all the goodies. I am so glad I found this book.

message 9: by Kate (new) - added it

Kate Hayner | 19 comments Made the chocolate bark with raisins, dried cherries, crystilized ginger and toasted coconut (used the odds and ends from the freezer), it tastes awesome but I probably should have used a larger pan because it's really thick and was pretty tough to cut up. I also tried peppermint bark but something went funky with the white chocolate so I'll have to try it again. I got the white chocolate from someone and I think it was not the best quality.

message 10: by Tamara (new)

Tamara Smith | 14 comments @ Kate, I find white chocolate really hard to work with. If it's melted at too high of a temp it separates and that's the end of it.

@ Marilyn, your tooth ordeal sounds so painful- I'm glad you're starting to feel better! The canoes being all sold out because of the twinkie fanatics really made me laugh :)

My favorite Christmas time treat is almond brittle. My family has made this every year since i was in middle school! I also LOVE baking Christmas cookies- the more complicated, the better. I like the challenge of arranging the dough just right, cutting it, decorating it...I'm just a Christmas cookie junkie.

I've fallen really behind on actually making anything from the book. I live in Massachusetts, and I was in Barnes and Noble today. Alana's book was right there on the cookbook display table! I lifted it up and told the other shoppers that I had met her, and that our cookbook club is currently using her book. And, in that moment, I felt so cool that I am actually part of a cookbook club- it's the funnest book club I've ever been in!

message 11: by Christine, FSC BOOK CLUB MODERATOR (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kate wrote: "My favorite holiday treats that I make are angel crisp cookies (a recipe handed down through the family for close to 100 years and eggnog cheesecake - which absolutely rocks. My favorite treat that..."

Eggnog cheesecake?! How did I miss this? Sounds HEAVENLY!

message 12: by Christine, FSC BOOK CLUB MODERATOR (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy wrote: "Made the caramels today to add to my Christmas sampler boxes. They are so rich and creamy. I had a small disaster with the mixture boiling over, which interrupted it getting to temperature. I wasn'..."

I've been too nervous to tackle homemade caramels... glad you were the brave pioneer! I'll have to try them out soon!

Alana Chernila | 17 comments Dear FSC bookclub friends,
Before all of this officially wraps up, I just wanted to thank you all from the bottom of my heart for bringing the book into your kitchens and sharing your experiences. If anyone had told me a few years ago that such a wonderful group of people would be cooking through my (!) book, I would have laughed, and then pinched myself to wake up. It's been wonderful, humbling, and I feel so thankful that I've been able to be part of this. Please know that I'm still available, even after the book club is over! It's easy to contact me through my website or fb, so if any questions come up, or if you'd just like to share a new variation or something exciting you've made, I'm here. Thank you, also, to Christine and Chris for pulling this all together. The FSC is such a gem, and we're all lucky to have them! Sending all my best, and wishing you all a happy new year and a fabulous 2013. yours, alana

message 14: by Cynthia (new) - added it

Cynthia | 68 comments Alana wrote: "Dear FSC bookclub friends,
Before all of this officially wraps up, I just wanted to thank you all from the bottom of my heart for bringing the book into your kitchens and sharing your experiences. ..."

And thank you so much Alana for being with us and answering questions. What an unexpected bonus to get to have the author weighing in on our issues! I do love the book - and probably would not have come across it if not for the book club. If I was closer, I DEFINITELY would have come to the event they did with you in New York :-)

Susan M | 42 comments Alana wrote: "Dear FSC bookclub friends,
Before all of this officially wraps up, I just wanted to thank you all from the bottom of my heart for bringing the book into your kitchens and sharing your experiences. ..."

Alana, we should be thanking you for creating and writing a great book for us! And a big thank you to FSC hosting a virtual book club for all of us. I loved this experience and hope that the next one will be just as interesting for me to join in and follow with all the members. Alana, looking forward to a second edition of your "homemade" cookbook and hope its in the works. I will continue to follow your blog and FB page. :-)

message 16: by Meg (new) - rated it 5 stars

Meg (megriffi) | 59 comments Alana wrote: "Dear FSC bookclub friends,

What a joy to be cooking along with all you lovely folks and to "meet" you here, Alana! : ) The Homemade Pantry inspired me to try new things in the kitchen with confidence and reminded me to see every failure as an adventure! Thanks, everyone!

Jackie (AuburnMeadowFarm) | 58 comments Alana wrote: "Dear FSC bookclub friends,

It was fun to share the experience. I enjoyed seeing everyone's posts & photos - much more fun than going it alone.

I loved the book Alana, and though I was a bit overwhelmed by my life at the holidays and just couldn't manage to squeeze in Twinkies or Lasagna, I want you to know that your book will take it's splashed and tattered place front & center on my shelf.

Splashes & tatters are a badge of honor, right?

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Homemade Pantry: 101 Foods You Can Stop Buying and Start Making (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Alana Chernila (other topics)