Banned Books discussion

GENERAL BOOK DISCUSSIONS > Why was Joy Luck Club banned?

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Salma (new)

Salma For the life of me, I can't figure it out. Can anyone enlighten me? Is it because it's not about white people?:-)

message 2: by Robert (new)

Robert | 3 comments When it was assigned at a Wisconsin high school, some parents objected that it was sexually explicit and "conflicted with the values of the community". Whatever that means....

message 3: by Paul (new)

Paul Bryant Sounds like the same kind of problem that the filming of Brick Lane ran into:

http://books.guardian.co.uk/news/arti...

message 4: by Salma (new)

Salma I wonder if those Wisconsin parents would object to Catcher in the Rye- you know, since Holden brings a hooker in his room and everything. And curses so goddamn much.

message 5: by Nated (new)

Nated Doherty | 24 comments I don't think so.
Seems like they'd be all about that one.
(He does read the Bible to the hooker, right? And she converts to JEEZUSism and gives up her sinful ways? Goes out to raise money for Jerry Falwell?)

message 6: by Salma (new)

Salma that's true- I'd forgotten that part.

message 7: by Jonatron (new)

Jonatron No way. "Concerned parents" aren't as pragmatic as you assume. :)

They hate the book, and only because it's full of bad words. They don't even need to know what it's about.

I suspect this is also the reason why a lot of other people like the book. I certainly didn't get anything else out of it.

message 8: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey | 2 comments Wasn't Catcher In The Rye banned in some school districts?

message 9: by Katie (new)

Katie Verhaeren | 4 comments Catcher in the Rye has been banned multiple times for various reasons, one of which being the sexuality within, also the language. In fact, the ALA website has it listed as number 13 on the list of books most frequently challenged. This is an interesting book to read, especially since I've found many of my favorite books among the top numbers.

message 10: by Kat (new)

Kat | 9 comments Heh. The school where i teach just adopted The Joy Luck Club for our senior English course. Now I'm REALLY looking forward to teaching it... :)

message 11: by Irene (new)

Irene Hollimon | 20 comments hmmm it's been a few years since I read the Joy Luck Club but... I don't remember any sex in it.

message 12: by Francisco (new)

Francisco (fr4nc15c0d14z) | 1 comments If you like the catcher in the rye, try getting Old Glory and the Real time Freaks... almost identical events but somewhat humorous yet just as powerful. Sorry I cannot tell you why it was banned, haven't read it, yet.

message 13: by P. (new)

P. (shimizusan) | 14 comments Joy Luck Club? Challenged? That's just wrong. It's a tame book. Like Irene, I can't remember any sex scenes. But even if there was I doubt it would be graphic.

I remember there being some kind of domestic abuse though, gambling (mahjong) and concubine action. Other than that, nothing out of the ordinary.

message 14: by erin (new)

erin (believeinme) Oh, populous. What WON'T they ban?

message 15: by Kelly H. (Maybedog), Big Kahuna, Ministry of Illicit Reading (new)

Kelly H. (Maybedog) (maybedog) | 623 comments Mod
I think you could come up with a reason that any book would be banned somewhere by some group for some reason.

message 16: by Alexis (new)

Alexis Bivens | 1 comments the Father figure raped the mother? how do you all figure that I should not be banned from certain places

message 17: by Kelly H. (Maybedog), Big Kahuna, Ministry of Illicit Reading (new)

Kelly H. (Maybedog) (maybedog) | 623 comments Mod
Because we need to read about these things in order to understand that they happen. Ignorance isn't bliss. The kids in the US that have babies when they're young (who don't do so intentionally) usually do so because they don't have access to information about birth control or families that talk about these things. Kids who don't learn about infectious diseases are more likely to get STDs including HIV.

People can turn a blind eye on rape but if people don't talk about those things happening, what to do, where to get help, what signs to look for, how people who have gone through it cope, it will only allow for a comfortable blind spot for things to keep happening. In parts of the world where such things are not discussed, women are still punished when they are raped, and judged because people believe it was their fault.