Teens rock! discussion

Debate > Forced Marriage

Comments (showing 1-32 of 32) (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Samantha (new)

Samantha Arnold (NahteeraiSamanthaArnold) Do you support forced marriage? Could you ever imagine being in that situation? If it's in your culture, and you will have this one day, are you looking forward to it? What is it like in your culture? Share your views.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

You can't force love, silly

message 3: by sheetzr (new)

sheetzr (sheetalr) | 413 comments I don't think anyone else could decide about the person you want to spend your whole life with you can't just force anyone into a marriage . We have arranged marriages but people are not forced into it .

message 4: by Hana (new)

Hana (Dystopianqueen) | 57 comments perhaps pressured would be a better choice of words?

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

It's one of the silliest practices prevailing in our society. Only I've got the right to decide whom I'm to marry and spend my whole life with! You can't simply force someone to marry a person.
We have both arranged marriages and love marriages. But in some cases, people are forced to marry an unknown person if their parents think they fell in love with the 'wrong' person.

message 6: by Niámh (new)

Niámh | 48 comments Where I come from forced or arranged marriages is practically unheard of.

message 7: by the fire burns (new)

the fire burns inside me (emgemlovescallieboo) I believe in true love, you can't marry someone you do't truly love.

message 8: by GOURI, I've got a pocketful of sunshine (new)

GOURI | 1173 comments Mod
Niamh wrote: "Where I come from forced or arranged marriages is practically unheard of."

yes..and arranged marriages are not that bad..I don't know what the concept of this "Forced" marriage is.

message 9: by Nikhat (new)

Nikhat Hetavkar (nikbookchatter) | 169 comments I live in India and most marriages here are arranged.
I don't oppose the concept of arranged marriage as I can see it worked for my grandparents and many relatives. But it certainly doesn't appeal to me.
How can you spend your entire life with a person you dont even know!
It takes the whole romance out of love, doesn't it?
When I marry, it will be at least with a person I really really respect and adore if not love.

message 10: by GOURI, I've got a pocketful of sunshine (new)

You're right.Nik :)

message 11: by Nikhat (new)

Nikhat Hetavkar (nikbookchatter) | 169 comments Thank you :)
One of the topics I feel very strongly about! :D

message 12: by GOURI, I've got a pocketful of sunshine (new)

yes :)

message 13: by Chami (new)

Chami | 20 comments I really hate forced marriages. I would rather suicide than get forced to marry. Well in my culture forced marriages can be seen. But it's whole a lot less than its used to be. May be because the world is developed :D.

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

My parents would never ever force me to marry. I'm not a marriage type of girl so it's good for me :)

message 15: by Chami (new)

Chami | 20 comments Meghna wrote: "My parents would never ever force me to marry. I'm not a marriage type of girl so it's good for me :)"

good for you :). I think that my parents also will not force me to marry. If they do i will leave the country and go somewhere else. i really mean it.

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

Hahaha.

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

Stay single 4ever or marry and have a family?

message 18: by Chami (new)

Chami | 20 comments Meghna wrote: "Stay single 4ever or marry and have a family?"
I would rather stay single :D

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

* high five* me too:D

message 20: by Cecilia (new)

Cecilia (DrCicle) My mom would never force me to marry someone but if she hates him, then she will tell me and try to creep him out.

message 21: by Chami (new)

Chami | 20 comments Meghna wrote: "* high five* me too:D"
Ya high five :D

message 22: by Chami (new)

Chami | 20 comments Ceci ~Who stole my bacon?!~ wrote: "My mom would never force me to marry someone but if she hates him, then she will tell me and try to creep him out."

I think that's better than a force marriage.

message 23: by Cecilia (new)

Cecilia (DrCicle) Yeah. It's a lot better. My mom was forced into marriage but then they divorced.

message 24: by Chami (new)

Chami | 20 comments Ceci ~Who stole my bacon?!~ wrote: "Yeah. It's a lot better. My mom was forced into marriage but then they divorced."

Oh that's sad. But i think it's better to get divorce than living with someone you don't love :).

message 25: by Cecilia (new)

Cecilia (DrCicle) Yeah. Besides, I hate my dad anyways. So does my mom but whatever.

message 26: by Chami (new)

Chami | 20 comments Ceci ~Who stole my bacon?!~ wrote: "Yeah. Besides, I hate my dad anyways. So does my mom but whatever."

Yeah i can understand both of you :).

message 27: by Cecilia (new)

Cecilia (DrCicle) Yeah exactly. It's not that bad.

message 28: by Chami (new)

Chami | 20 comments Ceci ~Who stole my bacon?!~ wrote: "Yeah exactly. It's not that bad."
:).

message 29: by Annabel ♥ (new)

Annabel ♥ (cinnamonbliss) I think you should have the right to choose who you marry without other people deciding for you. Like, you might not even love the person your forced to marry and the point of marrying people is to be with someone you love... So its pointless

message 30: by Chami (new)

Chami | 20 comments Annabel wrote: "I think you should have the right to choose who you marry without other people deciding for you. Like, you might not even love the person your forced to marry and the point of marrying people is to..."

Ya. I totally agree with you :).

message 31: by Tess (new)

Tess | 53 comments I think forced marriage is HORRIBLE. Im sorry if that's what you believe in but you can't make people love each other. It's also horrid when girls as young as 12 get married. NOT COOL!

message 32: by Maven's Queen (new)

Maven's Queen  (RiseRedAsTheDawn) Its all about your culture. In some it is the morally right thing and you could be shunned if you don't. Im not saying I'm for it, but its all a matter of perspective, sometimes you gotta look at it at a different angle.