GraveTells Book Club discussion

North of Need (Hearts of the Anemoi, #1)
This topic is about North of Need
North of Need - Week One > Christmas Loss

Comments (showing 1-11 of 11) (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by A (new) - rated it 3 stars

A (AMB86) | 200 comments Mod
The book start off with a lot of emotion. Have you ever lost anyone around the holidays? Did you find this section relateable? What did you think of a book starting off this way?

Sue "DavinciKittie" Brown-Moore (davincikittie) | 119 comments Mod
It was rough. I knew going in that it was going to be an emotional read, but it really hits you right out of the gate and sets the pace for the whole novel.

I can't say I loved seeing Megan in so much pain, but it really drew me into the story!

Iris (Ipro) | 7 comments I don't think I like how it portrayed her as being so broken. Kind of sets the scene for what happens next to come across as a rebound.

However, it does hit you right off the gate and pull you in to the story, so that's a plus

Rhianna (rhireading) | 16 comments I haven't experienced loss like Megan's but I definitely go through some depression every holiday season as I miss loved ones who've passed away. I admit I didn't reread chapter 1 as closely as I did last winter... it's so well written but so emotional!

I loved that Laura wrote John as a husband worth missing too. I often feel like authors make the dead husband a bastard or something negative so we readers can get on board with the heroine moving on. It kind of rubs me the wrong way since I know I'd have a tough time in a new relationship if I lost my husband.

message 5: by A (new) - rated it 3 stars

A (AMB86) | 200 comments Mod
I agree completely. The holidays are always super rough for me. I haven't experience a loss like Megan's but I have had two members pass away either two days Christmas or two days after. So it's always a little rough for me. I can't imagine losing a husband. There was so much emotion in the first quarter of the book that I am just thinking man this girl needs some happiness.

message 6: by Ann (new)

Ann Sheiring | 7 comments I understood her need to be in the cabin for Christmas, but I felt that she hadn't moved on. It does feel like it could come across as a possible rebound relationship. I haven't read this book before, so I guess I will see how it develops. Can a deep relationship start, is Megan really ready to move on.

Carolyn | 1 comments In the beginning of the book, I wondered the same thing..but just kept reading...hope you have, too!

Rhianna (rhireading) | 16 comments She definitely hasn't moved on as NoN starts but (and I think it's very real to question this...) that doesn't mean she isn't ready. I think sometimes it's easier not to move on after a tragedy because it requires such a big emotional step to let go of someone. I do feel like Megan accepts Owen's presence way too easily and casually but putting that aside I liked the 'mutual friend' having sent him.

Sue "DavinciKittie" Brown-Moore (davincikittie) | 119 comments Mod
Rhianna wrote: "I think sometimes it's easier not to move on after a tragedy because it requires such a big emotional step to let go of someone."
Yeah, I agree. And the "mutual friend" was a great touch.

Buffy Kennedy | 8 comments Starting off with that kind of emotional impact, while difficult to read (heartbreaking even), sets off a connection to the character and lets you know you should be prepared for a strong emotional investment as the book is likely to be a bit of a rollercoaster ride.

I haven't experienced a loss like Megan's, but in March of this year, my two year old nephew passed away. His birthday is--was--just before Thanksgiving, so it still has an impact around this time of year. This will be our first Christmas without him, BUT we will have a brand new neice (due on the 20th) to celebrate with at least :-)

Book Bite Reviews (Briere) | 25 comments It made me cry the second time I read it because of my own losses as well as Megan's. No family, no kids, no husband ... it was just sad.