Goodreads Feedback discussion

Suggestions & Questions > "Want to Read" improvement.

Comments (showing 1-14 of 14) (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ian (new)

Ian (traveller1) | 12 comments My latest suggestion:

"Want to read"—how about a text box into which we could enter a few words describing why we want to read this book? So that in the future, as we browse through books to buy or borrow, we will know why we ticked this. Good idea, no?

e.g.
ChickLit. My friend Janet recommended.
Annoy parents.
Looks intellectual.
Groovy cover.

message 2: by Becky (new)

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) | 5090 comments Generally that's what people use the Private Notes field for. You can customize your shelves to show it if it isn't already showing.

message 3: by Stefani (new)

Stefani (steffiebaby140) | 453 comments Or you could use the review section too. Put it on want to read and put in the review section why you want to read it. I do that all the time, or if I decide to not read something for whatever reason I can put the reason there as well. You don't have to leave a rating, so it doesn't affect the book's overall rating and you'll have your notes.

Or the Private Notes section works, but wouldn't be seen publicly. It depends on how private you want those notes to be.

message 4: by Dionisia (new)

Dionisia (therabidreader) | 330 comments There is also a field in the review pane (under "more options") where you can note who recommended a book to you.

message 5: by Ian (new)

Ian (traveller1) | 12 comments Umm, well, ok, but, is a "review" section the very best locale for a rationale to read something, currently unread, which one is ostensibly reviewing? It seems aesthetically and temporally paradoxical.

Elizabeth (Alaska) Ian wrote: "Umm, well, ok, but, is a "review" section the very best locale for a rationale to read something, currently unread, which one is ostensibly reviewing? It seems aesthetically and temporally paradoxi..."

The review space is for anything you want it to be. But, note that the Private Notes was also a suggestion, and is the place I think most people would use for the notes you reference.

message 7: by Ian (new)

Ian (traveller1) | 12 comments Ok, I can take a hint. But (2 begin a sentence with a conj.) I don't like it (and to fin. with a prep.).

Elizabeth (Alaska) Ian wrote: "how about a text box into which we could enter a few words describing why we want to read this book? "

This is what you asked for, and it is Private Notes, which already exists.

message 9: by Ian (new)

Ian (traveller1) | 12 comments Becky wrote: "Generally that's what people use the Private Notes field for. You can customize your shelves to show it if it isn't already showing."

How do I do this? I mean, I have just about figured it out (i have 2 grad dips in compthingees), but just want to be sure.

message 10: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl The recommendations field is designed to autocomplete with your friends' names. But if I use it, it's usually to indicate another author, another book, or some reviewer or magazine writer or academic writer who led me to that book.

I use the private notes field for various other information, often the LOC card catalog number so I can make a list when I go to the library.

Really the only reason private notes wouldn't suit your purpose is if you wanted everyone to see what you had typed.

message 11: by Becky (new)

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) | 5090 comments Go to "My Books" in the header, and then choose the shelf you want to alter. Then click "shelf settings" at the top of the page (under where it shows how many books you have), and just select the columns you want to display for that shelf.

message 12: by Ian (new)

Ian (traveller1) | 12 comments Ok, what I have done is add "recommender" to my book list. Does the trick. Thanks for the assist.

message 13: by Deborah (new)

Deborah | 1460 comments Ian wrote: "Becky wrote: "Generally that's what people use the Private Notes field for. You can customize your shelves to show it if it isn't already showing."

How do I do this? I mean, I have just about fig..."

You may need to click on more options on the review page to see the private notes field. You can also add the field to your shelf view on the my books page, but you have to add it to each shelf where you want it to show, (and don't forget to save your self settings).

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) | 7 comments I would put in comments ( on book page, right above review ) because I use the review section for reviews. Anytime you go to the book, you can see your comment. You can choose to share your comment on update feed or not.