¡ POETRY ! discussion

INTRODUCTIONS > Hi from Dante lover

Comments (showing 1-5 of 5) (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by David (new)

David Lafferty (DanteExplorer) Hi, I'm Dave. I love the epic poetry of Dante, Homer, Virgil, and Ovid. I just published a book on Dante, and look forward to reading some great stuff here.

David Lafferty

message 2: by Paula Tohline (new)

Paula Tohline Calhoun (PaulaTohlineCalhoun) | 567 comments Welcome, David! I'm not sure you will always find good stuff here, but you will certainly find variety, including heated and non-heated discussion over the way poetry should be today, and the way and ways it used to be. There is good-natured disagreement as far as the "Critique" section goes, but there are plenty of diverse discussion groups within POETRY! that will probably satisfy you! Again, welcome! Always great to have a new voice on board.

Speaking of Dante, I was once at one of the Christmas Concerts at Carnegie Hall that Peter Schickele - otherwise known as (the fictional) P.D.Q. Bach - the 23rd illegitimate son of J.S. Bach. Schickele is a brilliant musician himself, and a true comedy genius in his guise as P.D.Q. Bach. Anyway, at this concert he was announcing one of the pieces that the chamber orchestra would be playing. It was the be in four movements, one of which was "Andante Alighieri." I laughed out loud, but was apparently the only person in the packed concert hall who "got" the joke. I got a nod and "tip of the hat" from him! If you would like to learn more about Schickele and P.D.Q. Bach, the website is: www.schickele.com. Even if you are not a musician, you are certain to enjoy the genius of this man. A brilliant parodist!

message 3: by David (new)

David Lafferty (DanteExplorer) Cool, Paula! I'm a musician, I remember PDQ from the 60's, he's still around?! Glad to be here.

message 4: by Eighty (new)

Eighty Six (86thepoet) | 27 comments David, if you're an epic poetry fan, I'm wondering if you'd like to read two 1000 line poems I've written. They are part of a post-apocalyptic series. I can get you more information if you're interested.

message 5: by Paula Tohline (new)

Paula Tohline Calhoun (PaulaTohlineCalhoun) | 567 comments David wrote: "Cool, Paula! I'm a musician, I remember PDQ from the 60's, he's still around?! Glad to be here."

He's still alive and kicking - at least as far as I know! miss attending his annual Carnegie Hall concerts - around Christmas time each year. I used to get a ticket from my father as a pre-Christmas gift each year. What fun! Another reason I'm sorry not to live in the NYC area anymore!

He used to have a Public Radio program that was always fascinating - it was basically a music appreciation class, and he could really clarify and open one up to so many different styles of music. I don't know if it is still going, or if it's just that our local station just doesn't have it on anymore.

Once again, welcome!