All Things Italy discussion

120 views
Welcome and Introductions

Comments (showing 1-50 of 93) (93 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by David (new)

David Lafferty (DanteExplorer) | 52 comments Mod
Benvenuti! Please introduce yourself and say hi!
Grazie, Dave


message 2: by Aloha (new)

Aloha | 2 comments Hi Dave. Thank you for the invite. I'm glad you had a great vacation.


message 3: by David (new)

David Lafferty (DanteExplorer) | 52 comments Mod
Aloha wrote: "Hi Dave. Thank you for the invite. I'm glad you had a great vacation."

Hi Aloha! We have a place in Kihei, that's next! Welcome, thanks for hanging out.


message 4: by Laurel (new)

Laurel Hicks (goodreadscomlaurele) | 1 comments I have been to Rome, but I would really like to see the rest of Italy, especially Florence. And I love opera.


message 5: by dely (new)

dely | 26 comments Hi, I have seen the invite you have written in the Italian Group and so I was curious to join this group.
I am dely, Italian and live in north Italy. But! I haven't travelled a lot in my country (in general I don't travel a lot) and I don't read a lot Italian literature.


message 6: by David (new)

David Lafferty (DanteExplorer) | 52 comments Mod
Laurele wrote: "I have been to Rome, but I would really like to see the rest of Italy, especially Florence. And I love opera."

Welcome Laurele, Florence is amazing, I REALLY liked Sienna as well.


message 7: by David (new)

David Lafferty (DanteExplorer) | 52 comments Mod
dely wrote: "Hi, I have seen the invite you have written in the Italian Group and so I was curious to join this group.
I am dely, Italian and live in north Italy. But! I haven't travelled a lot in my country (i..."


Welcome Dely, look forward to getting your perspective!


message 8: by Kua (last edited Dec 04, 2012 01:21PM) (new)

Kua (kuaele) | 3 comments Hi everybody! I come from north of Italy, as well as dely. I live on the hills in Piemont (famous for wines such as Barolo), in a nice place surrounded by mountains, close to Alba, the city of white truffle (delicious...). My italian best friend live in USA (Santa Barbara, CA), so I went sometimes to visit him and his family in California.


message 9: by David (new)

David Lafferty (DanteExplorer) | 52 comments Mod
Kua wrote: "Hi everybody! I come from north of Italy, as well as dely. I live on the hills in Piemont (famous for wines such as Barolo), in a nice place surrounded by mountains, close to Alba, the city of whit..."

Welcome Kua, great to have you here!


message 10: by Kua (new)

Kua (kuaele) | 3 comments Thanks David!


message 11: by Kristen (new)

Kristen David, thank you for the invite! I've been to Milan, Venice, Florence, Pisa, Rome and finally Brindisi (on the heel of the boot) on my way to Greece -- this trip was almost 15 years ago. Oh how I wish to go back to Italy with more time to spare and more money in my pocket!


message 12: by David (new)

David Lafferty (DanteExplorer) | 52 comments Mod
Kristen wrote: "David, thank you for the invite! I've been to Milan, Venice, Florence, Pisa, Rome and finally Brindisi (on the heel of the boot) on my way to Greece -- this trip was almost 15 years ago. Oh how I ..."

Welcome Kristen! What did you think of Venezia?


message 13: by Kristen (new)

Kristen David wrote: "Kristen wrote: "David, thank you for the invite! I've been to Milan, Venice, Florence, Pisa, Rome and finally Brindisi (on the heel of the boot) on my way to Greece -- this trip was almost 15 years..."

I think it was my favorite. I could explore that city for days and weeks. Coming from a "brand new" city like Seattle, I was mesmerized by my experiences in Italy - history, art, food, people, culture...just exquisite.


message 14: by Roberta (new)

Roberta (driope) Hello there: I'm Roberta, from the beautiful yet underrated lake Maggiore (but wait: it seems Clooney is going to buy a house here too!)


message 15: by David (new)

David Lafferty (DanteExplorer) | 52 comments Mod
Welcome Roberta. Can't wait to visit Como!


message 16: by Joanne (new)

Joanne Cinquemani (Joanne1201) | 12 comments Hello to all of you. I am from NY but have recently obtained my Italian citizenship through my father and grandfather's line. I am excited to plan a trip to my grandparents town of Racalmuto, Sicily.


message 17: by David (new)

David Lafferty (DanteExplorer) | 52 comments Mod
Welcome Marianne and Joanne! My roots are Irish lol!
Thanks for joining :)


message 18: by Joanne (new)

Joanne Cinquemani (Joanne1201) | 12 comments Absolutely! That was how I was able to obtain my citizenship. My grandfather was not a US citizen when my Dad was born, that was my connection!
It was a lot of paperwork but well worth it.


message 19: by Roberta (last edited Dec 06, 2012 11:40AM) (new)

Roberta (driope) I assume you guys are Americans: why do you want the Italian citizenship? I mean, I love my country, but we're not doing well at the moment. I would invite foreign friends over for a holiday, but I would not like them to stay. I lived in Scotland for 4 years (2008-2011) and I regret I came back.
Could you keep both the citizenships?


message 20: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Kluthe (jessica_kluthe) | 14 comments I am so glad to have found this group! My ancestors emigrated to Canada from Calabria, Italy in the 1950s. My interest the family history (and the history of the mass migrations in the 1950s) became a full-blown obsession as I started researching for my book.

Any other Canadian group members with Italian heritage?

Looking forward to checking out the other threads.


message 21: by David (new)

David Lafferty (DanteExplorer) | 52 comments Mod
Jessica wrote: "I am so glad to have found this group! My ancestors emigrated to Canada from Calabria, Italy in the 1950s. My interest the family history (and the history of the mass migrations in the 1950s) becam..."

Welcome Jessica!


message 22: by Paola (new)

Paola Hello to everyone! I am Paola and I am from Italy (in Piedmont but not so far from Milan...).


message 23: by David (new)

David Lafferty (DanteExplorer) | 52 comments Mod
Welcome Paola!


message 24: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Kluthe (jessica_kluthe) | 14 comments Kua wrote: "Hi everybody! I come from north of Italy, as well as dely. I live on the hills in Piemont (famous for wines such as Barolo), in a nice place surrounded by mountains, close to Alba, the city of whit..."

Nice to meet you Kua! I've tried Barolo before and it is delicious.


message 25: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Kluthe (jessica_kluthe) | 14 comments Marianne wrote: "Jessica: Genealogy got me into the writing thing too :)"

Very cool!


message 26: by Heather (new)

Heather | 22 comments @ Roberta...I think Como is the most beautiful city I've ever lived in. I was only there 3 months but the city, the lake, the people...bellissima citta!


message 27: by Jackeliene (new)

Jackeliene Raney | 1 comments Marianne wrote: "Happy to be here with fellow paesanos :) I'm Marianne. I have been to Milan, Florence and Rome (1971), but in 2010, I went to wild and wonderful Sicily. I visited my Bonanno family ancestral villag..."

Marianne, I found this page because I was doing a search on the Petrino family in San Fele! We have Petrinos from San Fele on my grandmother's side.


message 28: by Elisa (new)

Elisa (Elusa) | 8 comments Ciao! I'm Elisa, second generation Italian American with strong ties to Italy,where I have spent my summers since I was a child. My father's father from Sarnano, his mother from Ruvo del Monte. My mother's father from San Costanza, her mother from Bassano del Grappa. As a family, both nuclear and extended we have retained our Italian culture and language while on our prolonged "visit" to the U.S.! Very happy to have found this club, and hope to increase my exposure to Italian literature.


message 29: by David (new)

David Lafferty (DanteExplorer) | 52 comments Mod
Welcome Elisa!


message 30: by Lit Bug (new)

Lit Bug | 15 comments Lit Bug, India. Love reading, experimenting with new cuisines, listening to different kinds of music, traveling and having a good conversation! Curious about Italy and Spain since long, glad to have found this group.


message 31: by David (new)

David Lafferty (DanteExplorer) | 52 comments Mod
Lit Bug wrote: "Lit Bug, India. Love reading, experimenting with new cuisines, listening to different kinds of music, traveling and having a good conversation! Curious about Italy and Spain since long, glad to hav..."


Welcome! I also love Italy and Spain.


message 32: by Lit Bug (new)

Lit Bug | 15 comments I see you're interested in Jazz - could you name some good Jazz pieces for me to listen to?


message 33: by Dave (new)

Dave | 7 comments Hi Lit Bug, I'm very fond of a particular Italian jazz album, Volver, by the Enrico Rava Quartet, accompanied by Dino Saluzzi, an Argentinean bandoneon player. It's heavily influenced by the Tango style and yet reminiscent of some of Miles Davis' offerings that were arranged by Gil Evans.


message 34: by Lit Bug (new)

Lit Bug | 15 comments I'm completely new to jazz - though I am aware of its historical birth, but have no idea what good jazz sounds like. Thanks for the recommendations. I love exploring new, unknown music genres. :)


message 35: by David (new)

David Lafferty (DanteExplorer) | 52 comments Mod
Hey Lit Bug,
A good place to start would be "Kind of Blue" by the classic Miles Davis band.
Cheers!


message 36: by Lit Bug (new)

Lit Bug | 15 comments Thanks a ton!


message 37: by Teresa (new)

Teresa Neumann | 7 comments I'm new to this group and very excited to be a part. I'm an IBM'er (Italian by marriage) and the author of Bianca's Vineyard and Domenico's Table, based on the true story of my husband's family from Tuscany. Fell in love with Italy the first time we went in 2001 and we've been going back every other year since. There's nowhere like it!


message 38: by David (new)

David Lafferty (DanteExplorer) | 52 comments Mod
Welcome Teresa. I'm Irish but love Italy!
Dave


message 39: by Elisabeth (last edited Nov 21, 2013 12:37PM) (new)

Elisabeth Crawford | 4 comments Hi, I just joined Goodreads and this group. I've been in love with Italy and all things Italian for over 20 years and am the author of .Flavors of Friuli: A Culinary Journey through Northeastern Italy


message 40: by David (new)

David Lafferty (DanteExplorer) | 52 comments Mod
Elisabeth wrote: "Hi, I just joined Goodreads and this group. I've been in love with Italy and all things Italian for over 20 years and am the author of Flavors of Friuli: A Culinary Journey through Northeastern Italy."

Welcome Elisabeth, thanks for joining. Food and Italy, the perfect journey! Dave


message 41: by Joe (last edited May 17, 2013 09:48AM) (new)

Joe Pfeiler | 16 comments Hi everybody, I'm glad to find this group.

I'm second-gen American-born half Italian; my family is from Lombardy, an area north of Lake Como called the Valchiavenna. Someone once said, "Way up there? You're hardly Italian!" My mother was offended but I thought that was a hoot.

I've written a book on my Italian family, but this group I've joined simply for fun.


message 42: by Teresa (new)

Teresa Neumann | 7 comments What's the name of your book, Joe? I'd love to hear about it. Lombardy is one of Italy's jewels. Have you read the Shoemaker's Wife by Adriana Trigiani? Her family was from northern Italy.


message 43: by Joe (new)

Joe Pfeiler | 16 comments Teresa wrote: "What's the name of your book, Joe? I'd love to hear about it. Lombardy is one of Italy's jewels. Have you read the Shoemaker's Wife by Adriana Trigiani? Her family was from northern Italy."

Teresa, I haven't read "Shoemaker's Wife" -- I will check that out, thanks for the tip. And here's my book: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/17...


message 44: by David (new)

David Lafferty (DanteExplorer) | 52 comments Mod
Welcome Joe!


message 45: by Daisy (last edited Jun 18, 2013 08:34AM) (new)

Daisy Ciao! :) my name is Apollonia and I have devoted passions to foods, books, cultures, languages etc :) not sure how much Italian I have in me, lol :) but I sure love all things Italian. I'm actually planning a trip there next summer! Also, I currently speak English, Spanish and am learning Italian :)


message 46: by dely (new)

dely | 26 comments Apollonia wrote: "Ciao! :) my name is Apollonia and I have devoted passions to foods, books, cultures, languages etc :) not sure how much Italian I have in me, lol :) but I sure love all things Italian. I'm actually..."

Where are you from?


message 47: by dely (last edited Jun 18, 2013 08:40AM) (new)

dely | 26 comments Apollonia wrote: "Illinois :) and you?"

Italy.

Which places in Italy do you want to visit? Do you have already a trip plan?


message 48: by Daisy (new)

Daisy dely wrote: "Apollonia wrote: "Illinois :) and you?"

Italy.

Which places in Italy do you want to visit? Do you have already a trip plan?"


Oh Italy! How wonderful :) and not quite. I am still deciding as to where I should go. I have always had a lust for traveling, especially to Italy :)


message 49: by dely (new)

dely | 26 comments Apollonia wrote: "Oh Italy! How wonderful :) and not quite. I am still deciding as to where I should go. I have always had a lust for traveling, especially to Italy :) "

There are a lot of wonderful places; I hope you will stay here at least a month to see as much as possible!


message 50: by Daisy (last edited Jun 18, 2013 09:00AM) (new)

Daisy dely wrote: "Apollonia wrote: "Oh Italy! How wonderful :) and not quite. I am still deciding as to where I should go. I have always had a lust for traveling, especially to Italy :) "

There are a lot of wonderf..."


Yes, definitely more than a month I hope! Do you recommend anywhere specifically? And its funny really, people always assume I live in Italy because of my name, lol :) they say that I have a very Italian name, it's hilarious :)


« previous 1
back to top