SOS: Serious Overload of Series discussion

Gale Force (Weather Warden, #7)
This topic is about Gale Force
Archive: 2013 Buddy Reads > December Buddy Read - Gale Force by Rachel Caine

Comments (showing 1-50 of 53) (53 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Jeann (Happy Indulgence)  (happyindulgence) | 1151 comments Hey everyone, Paris, Lis and I will be reading the next installment to the weather warden series. Feel free to join or comment!

Let's start this in the next week or so.

message 2: by Lis (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lis | 3096 comments I'm in...

Paris (PAH13) | 1183 comments Sounds perfect. Had to stop reading Thin Air to charge Kindle, but now I'm headed back in!

message 4: by Lis (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lis | 3096 comments I wish I had them on my kindle... I've been hoarding these paperbacks since the Borders liquidation and its silly to re-purchase. At least I can share them when I'm done.

Jeann (Happy Indulgence)  (happyindulgence) | 1151 comments Gah, I have the whole series in 3 different sizes in paperback, so annoying ordering online you can never tell what size they're going to come in :(

Can't wait to start this!

Midu Hadi | 1580 comments any of you guys reading this series First Grave on the Right (Charley Davidson, #1) by Darynda Jones Charley's really funny but she's Jo-ing..getting beaten up a lot and being betrayed by the people she loves/trusts!

Paris (PAH13) | 1183 comments I don't own the books yet...I've been borrowing them from the library. I'm really contemplating buying them now that I have a little extra fundage, but nowadays I have a hard time deciding between Kindle and paperback.

Midu, I've read the first three books in the Charley series. Her and Jo are really similar, both in how they are treated and their personalities.

Jeann (Happy Indulgence)  (happyindulgence) | 1151 comments But does she have great Weather warden powers and get with a sexy Djinn Midu ;)

Midu Hadi | 1580 comments no, but she does make me wanna kick ass of every guy in the story! such a Jo-ish feeling!

message 10: by Midu (new) - rated it 4 stars

Midu Hadi | 1580 comments @Paris:
thank god that it isn't just me!

message 11: by Lis (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lis | 3096 comments Did get started, not very far yet. I love having David back in the picture. If he disappears in this one, I'm going to staple the book shut...

message 12: by Midu (new) - rated it 4 stars

Midu Hadi | 1580 comments and not read the next one either? hehehe

Jeann (Happy Indulgence)  (happyindulgence) | 1151 comments Alright, I'm going to start it today or tomorrow, just finished my other book.

message 14: by Midu (new) - rated it 4 stars

Midu Hadi | 1580 comments Destined for an Early Grave (Night Huntress, #4) by Jeaniene Frost sucked!

Jeann (Happy Indulgence)  (happyindulgence) | 1151 comments Wait until you read One Grave at a Time (Night Huntress, #6) by Jeaniene Frost Midu...then you'll truly know the meaning of a bad Night Huntress book.

message 16: by Lorelle (new) - added it

Lorelle (Lozza2407) | 29 comments Jeann wrote: "Wait until you read One Grave at a Time (Night Huntress, #6) by Jeaniene Frost Midu...then you'll truly know the meaning of a bad Night Huntress book."

I havent braved number 6 yet :S Number 5 was my limit at the time!

message 17: by Midu (new) - rated it 4 stars

Midu Hadi | 1580 comments awww no! don't tell me it can go downhill!

message 18: by Midu (new) - rated it 4 stars

Midu Hadi | 1580 comments i mean, Cat keeps telling us how smart Bones is all the freakin time and yet she had NO idea that he could hold his own in a fight against an idiot?! and Bones, why was he acting like a teenager when she left him to save HIS life and went to that idiot?!

message 19: by Lorelle (new) - added it

Lorelle (Lozza2407) | 29 comments Midu wrote: "awww no! don't tell me it can go downhill!"

I just read too many of them too close together, and I had so many other interesting books to read! Die hard fans would disagree with me. I just think I had my fill!

message 20: by Midu (new) - rated it 4 stars

Midu Hadi | 1580 comments okay, i'm reading the next one and if things don't improve, the rest are going back on the shelf!

message 21: by Lis (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lis | 3096 comments Jeann wrote: "Wait until you read One Grave at a Time (Night Huntress, #6) by Jeaniene Frost Midu...then you'll truly know the meaning of a bad Night Huntress book."

That was a DNF for me... Her spinoff with Vlad was good!

Jeann (Happy Indulgence)  (happyindulgence) | 1151 comments Lorelle wrote: "Midu wrote: "awww no! don't tell me it can go downhill!"

I just read too many of them too close together, and I had so many other interesting books to read! Die hard fans would disagree with me. I..."

I read all of the NH books back to back too and it did start to go downhill around the 4-5 mark but 6 was definitely a WTF for me =/ a perverted rapist ghost? Grooosss.

Jeann (Happy Indulgence)  (happyindulgence) | 1151 comments I'm only in 35 pages or so and there's just that thing about Lewis, every time we see him he's asking Jo to hurry up and go do something/save the wardens/etc. It's kinda annoying.

Paris (PAH13) | 1183 comments Oh no. I am getting really tired of everyone treating Jo like their bitch. They expect her to always be at their beck and call even when she's got her own shit going on and then if something goes wrong they blame it on her. I haven't started yet, but will either today or tomorrow.

message 25: by Lis (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lis | 3096 comments I didn't get far and will be on hold until the end of the week... I have meetings this week :(. I hate when RL gets in the way of reading time.

Jeann (Happy Indulgence)  (happyindulgence) | 1151 comments Yeah, I know what you mean Paris, I think it's really particular to the Wardens and their stupid politics. I like Jo, Cherise, and David but I'm keen for a fresh start soon. We've been through the first 7 books, I think we've done pretty well! Next year we can get into the outcast season if you're keen :)

BTW you guys will find this hilarious, I started to pick up Bared to You (Crossfire, #1) by Sylvia Day as a venture into finding something better than Fifty Shades but it just gave me the shivers about how traumatised I was from that series. lol

Paris (PAH13) | 1183 comments Lis, I hate when RL gets in the way of reading too. That's how my life is right now. Super lame.

Jeann, definitely down with reading Outcast next year.

I like the Crossfire series much more than Fifty Shades, but there were some moments of the Crossfire series that I roll my eyes and find myself annoyed, but it's intense and a decent way to waste some time.

Jeann (Happy Indulgence)  (happyindulgence) | 1151 comments Awesome, think we've got a few for Outcast, Jean said she'll be joining us again! Hey Paris, you should join the Paranormal Kickass Chicks group, Jean is there too :)

Anyway, don't worry I'm crawling through the book. In about Chapter 4 at the moment and (view spoiler)

Paris (PAH13) | 1183 comments Hey Jeann I joined Paranormal Kickass Chicks. Looks fun. Hopefully I can get into it soon...the group and this book. Grrrr. I'm still not really feeling like reading much....or really doing anything at all when I get home. lol Sad days.

Jeann (Happy Indulgence)  (happyindulgence) | 1151 comments Awww you must be tired from work! How's your new job going? I've been in that slump before when you just want to sit around and mooch hehe.

Jeann (Happy Indulgence)  (happyindulgence) | 1151 comments OK I'm in Chapter 8 and really, nothing remarkable has happened enough to comment on. It's great seeing Jo and David happy for once and that's about it.

(view spoiler)

Jeann (Happy Indulgence)  (happyindulgence) | 1151 comments Page 248 (Chapter 13) and man, things are really getting exciting.

(view spoiler)

message 33: by Midu (new) - rated it 4 stars

Midu Hadi | 1580 comments I keep thinking I should have known (view spoiler)

Jeann (Happy Indulgence)  (happyindulgence) | 1151 comments @Midu - (view spoiler)

I just finished and absolutely loved it as usual. (view spoiler)

message 35: by Lis (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lis | 3096 comments Yay Jeann, I'm hoping this will be less hectic and I can spend more time on my paperback. I also have the first couple of Outcast books, so I'll join in on that one too.

Jeann (Happy Indulgence)  (happyindulgence) | 1151 comments Awesome, I need to grab those too. We'll have the next buddy read next month or whenever you guys are ready.

Paris (PAH13) | 1183 comments Jeann wrote: "Awww you must be tired from work! How's your new job going? I've been in that slump before when you just want to sit around and mooch hehe."

Why do I only sometimes get freaking notifications Goodreads? lol Or is it just me being so totally wiped out and freaking out because Christmas is 9 days away?

New job is great so far. We are still in training and I'm nervous and a little stressed about finally getting out there and doing my new job. I think that's probably why I'm so tired.

I've been trying to read Gale Force, but things keep coming up. I'm 13% in and liking it so far, although I was a little surprised that Jo was on a "vacation" even if it was totally deserved. I can't wait to get into it more. Hopefully if I can get presents wrapped today then I can concentrate on reading for the next couple of days.

Jeann (Happy Indulgence)  (happyindulgence) | 1151 comments Eeek, I know it's so annoying! I wish they would just fix that notification bug. It's not you Paris, happens to all of us.

That's great, at least you will get a bit of a break with Christmas coming up! Hehe, I don't really see that she had a "vacation" considering how she was already trying to interfere.

I've been so slack this Christmas, the partner's parents are away who we usually celebrate with so I haven't finished buying all their presents yet. We haven't even put our tree up either!

Paris (PAH13) | 1183 comments I feel like I'm doing pretty well. Lights and tree are up, presents are bought, but now it's all the wrapping and organizing and that crap that I have to do and I don't want to. lol Plus then there's the baking next weekend.

You're right. Her vacation wasn't what we would consider a vacation, but I still thought it was weird that she wasn't with all of the rest of the wardens. Although I'm looking forward to seeing her and David just being happy together. That sounds awesome.

Paris (PAH13) | 1183 comments So close to being done. I'll probably be back on Thursday (got plans tomorrow) to go over it. Argh!!! It's killing me, but I'm so tired I can't think straight enough to get my thoughts together.

Jeann (Happy Indulgence)  (happyindulgence) | 1151 comments Yay, did you end up finishing it Paris? What did you think of it? I loved it as usual, hehe.

message 42: by Lis (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lis | 3096 comments Back at it slowly again... Two more work days then off until Jan 2nd and hopefully can squeeze some reading after all the festivities. Would like to move on to the next one too...

Jeann (Happy Indulgence)  (happyindulgence) | 1151 comments Yay, I've planned it for January so we can definitely move into it. Wow two more books to go!

Jeann (Happy Indulgence)  (happyindulgence) | 1151 comments Hey guys, are you guys good to do Cape Storm (Weather Warden, #8) by Rachel Caine in January? Should I set up a buddy read thread?

message 45: by Lis (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lis | 3096 comments Sounds good. I've gotten a little side tracked with a new series I stumbled across but hope to finish GF this weekend.

message 46: by Midu (new) - rated it 4 stars

Midu Hadi | 1580 comments which one? is it good?

message 47: by Midu (new) - rated it 4 stars

Midu Hadi | 1580 comments yeah, they call me nosy! ;-)

message 48: by Jeann (Happy Indulgence) (last edited Dec 28, 2012 04:23AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jeann (Happy Indulgence)  (happyindulgence) | 1151 comments Awesome, sounds good. I think David is one of my favourite book boyfriends. I'll be sad when we finish the series :(

Here's the thread: http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/1...

message 49: by Lis (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lis | 3096 comments Midu wrote: "which one? is it good?"

Yes but not sure why? It's Connie Suttle's BLOOD DESTINY series that starts with Blood Wager. It's a 10 book series that I just read in a little over a week and now I'm onto her HIGH DEMON spin off series. I'll warn you, it starts off as a vampire/ werewolf series then takes off into a more fantasy direction around book 4.

Paris (PAH13) | 1183 comments Argh!! I'm so sorry I've gotten so distracted by life. I'm so lame. lol

I so absolutely loved this book like I have the rest. I love David too. If he didn't poof out at times when Joanne could really use it, he'd be perfect.

(view spoiler)

I'm super excited to see where things go from here. I can't believe we're almost done with the series. I'm gonna be sad to see it end. But I'm glad we've gone on this adventure together. it's been fun reading them all with you ladies (even when I've been all over the place, like this time). And then we have the Outcast series so that helps.

« previous 1