J.D. Robb discussion

Taken in Death (In Death, #37.5)
This topic is about Taken in Death
In Death Books > Taken in Death (Spoiler Zone)

Comments (showing 1-50 of 108) (108 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Jonetta (last edited Dec 28, 2013 12:52PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jonetta (Ejaygirl) | 10518 comments Mod
Two young children disappear from their East Side home in New York City, their nanny killed in cold blood. As Lieutenant Eve Dallas begins to unravel the crime scene and search for Henry and Gala MacDermit, she's drawn into the twisted mind of a kidnapper who will stop at nothing to take revenge. Horrific threats concerning the brother and sister hit far too close to home for Eve, drawing her back into memories of her own tortured childhood.

But Eve knows that there's no time to waste on the past, and with every passing hour her determination to bring the children safely home strengthens. Eve and her team find themselves following an electronic breadcrumb trail left by a boy desperate to escape the evil witch. Their investigation into the kidnapper's sordid past reveals violent coercion, ritualistic killings, and chilling bloodlust - making her terrifying plans for the children abundantly clear.

(This novella is included in the anthology, Mirror, Mirror.)

Cast List (view spoiler)

There are no spoilers in the cast list...just using this feature because the list is a little long and you can view or hide as needed.

message 2: by Cher (new)

Cher (Sharpei) | 61 comments Yay!

message 3: by Quynh (new)

Quynh (Caskett) | 1269 comments Whoop! I kind of missed the anthologies!

I actually wondered if she had decided to abandon them.

message 5: by Quynh (new)

Quynh (Caskett) | 1269 comments Jonetta wrote: "I actually wondered if she had decided to abandon them."

Maybe she has to coordinate with the other authors too who usually participate in the anthologies. Not really sure how that works. Just as long as we get more Eve & Roarke, that's all that matters!

Me either. I think this year was the first in a while without a novella.

message 7: by Quynh (new)

Quynh (Caskett) | 1269 comments Yea the last one was "The Unquiet"? Looking forward to read what Mirror, Mirror is all about. Vanity theme? Or spin on Snow White?

I have no clue but I like your suggestions:)

message 9: by Ren (new) - added it

Ren (RenPuspita) | 109 comments So, its mean Eve will venture into Mirror world? Someone is taken into the Mirror? Do this one have any woo-woo jibe on it?
Can't wait! :D

You bet it does!

message 11: by Quynh (new)

Quynh (Caskett) | 1269 comments Or maybe she has to go undercover and needs Trina to transform her again. Oh the mortification for Eve LOL.

The scheduled release date for this book is now September 24 instead of in October.

JuliaOrlando | 194 comments Already pre-ordered on my Nook, as is "Thankless In Death"

You go, Julia!!!

JuliaOrlando | 194 comments I'm there :)

message 16: by Beth (new)

Beth | 87 comments Wow that's close to the release date for Thankless. Not that I won't be finished and jonesing for not by then.

It's been awhile since she released a novella so close to the preceding full length book. The last time I remember her doing this was with Indulgence in Death and Possession in Death. If you recall, they ended up being connected....hmmm.

message 18: by Beth (new)

Beth | 87 comments I'm hoping the novella is as good as Possession was. Definitely my favorite of the novellas.

Sandra ~ ♥ Cross My Heart ♥ (sandrahoover) | 8533 comments Mod
Novella, Novel,...it doesn't matter..I'll read anything she releases even if it's written on toilet paper or the bathroom wall! LOL

We now have a description!

message 21: by Quynh (new)

Quynh (Caskett) | 1269 comments Ooooh sounds perfect for October/Halloween. Hansel and Gretel kind of theme with the siblings? We can expect Roarke to be with Eve full force if she has to deal with memories of her childhood again.

I know! Honestly...this is the first time I've been interested in the rest of the anthology. Judge for yourself:

"Returning novella contributors Robb, Blayney, McComas, and Ryan (The Unquiet) are joined by newcomer Fox in this interesting collection of fairy-tale–inspired stories of romance and intrigue.

Robb's Eve Dallas must track down a pair of missing twins in a Hansel and Gretel police procedural, TAKEN IN DEATH.

Blayney's wish-granting coin entwines a pair of lonely adventure seekers in romance beyond their lives as a servant and a sergeant in her charming 1816 fantasy, IF WISHES WERE HORSES, which gives a nod to Goldilocks and the Three Bears.

Fox introduces a charming ghostly television reporter to the woman who buys his haunted house in BEAUTY, SLEEPING, a clever, turned-on-its-head version of Sleeping Beauty.

McComas's phenomenal modern retelling of The Little Match Girl gives a too-generous activist and the cop who thinks he's too old for her a chance at love in THE CHRISTMAS COMET.

In Ryan's Cinderella tale, STROKE OF MIDNIGHT, a teacher travels to her father's hometown in Ireland, falls in love, and nearly lets her wicked stepmother ruin everything before an improbable conclusion.

Though varying dramatically in approaches to the theme, each novella successfully captures the spirit of magic and happy endings."

message 23: by Quynh (new)

Quynh (Caskett) | 1269 comments Oh all those stories sound interesting! I might actually read the entire book! Usually I just buy and read the In Death novellas.

Same here! I don't think I've ever read any of the other stories.

message 25: by Cher (new)

Cher (Sharpei) | 61 comments Lol, I'm not the only one who pays for the anthologies and only reads JD??

message 26: by Quynh (new)

Quynh (Caskett) | 1269 comments I tried to read one from one of the later books, I couldn't really get into it, even though I pushed myself to finish that story at least.

I was fortunate to be able to get the last one from the library:). But, yes, I've bought them in the past for the one story.

message 28: by Cher (new)

Cher (Sharpei) | 61 comments If I can't stand it another minute longer, I will give up and not waste my time, I will try to take a couple of breaks first though. If by the second time my eyes are crossing I will give up. I'm pretty sure I might have looked at them but I don't think I gave them a second look. It depends on the authors though, if I recognize someone's name, I will give them a go. The fairy tales sound interesting.

message 29: by Quynh (new)

Quynh (Caskett) | 1269 comments That's how dedicated we are!

Lol Yes we are a dedicated bunch of fans, aren't we??? I dare say the Most dedicated fans of any series! I, too, am guilty as charged of buying the book just to read 1 story. Pitiful, I know...what can I say!?!

JuliaOrlando | 194 comments I usually buy just for the JDR "in Death" novellas, but I LOVE fairy tales so I will probably read the whole book. Maybe I'll find some new authors to read.

Good idea, Julia. I'll read them if they hold my interest...we'll see.

message 33: by Dee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dee Sauter (InDeathAddict) | 1070 comments I am so looking forward to Sept 24 (my brother's birthday).

I can't believe we've got a double treat in September.

WhoooHoooo! What a great month for books!

message 36: by Ladyacct (new)

Ladyacct | 153 comments I like anthologies good way to find new authors - how I found Ms Robb BEFORE it was know exactly who it was....also I found nalini singh and laurell k hamilton (although the last has been disappointing for awhile)

Interesting, Ladyacct. I never thought about anthologies that way before...great way to discover new authors.

message 38: by Ladyacct (new)

Ladyacct | 153 comments Does anyone know if the rest of the eve dallas anthologies are going to be combined in one like the first three?

She hasn't announced the 2014 schedule yet so I don't know. If she follows pattern, I think she will. Last year the schedule didn't come out until December so I don't have a guess as to when we will know for certain. If I had to conjecture...I think you'll see the next three bundled.

message 40: by Ladyacct (new)

Ladyacct | 153 comments Won't taken in death be like six that are not bundled or available individually?

According to our book list, only Possession in Death and Chaos in Death are without a bundle.

message 42: by Ladyacct (new)

Ladyacct | 153 comments Really? Hummm

message 43: by Ladyacct (new)

Ladyacct | 153 comments Just found the other bundle of anthologies - totally missed it.

Honestly? I didn't realize these were the only two left. Maybe once this one is released we will see another bundle in 2014.

Pinky1969 | 12 comments What is the two In Death book that Ariel Greenfelt is in?

message 47: by Ladyacct (new)

Ladyacct | 153 comments The baker right?

message 48: by Dawn (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dawn | 3169 comments Yes, she is the baker

message 49: by Ladyacct (new)

Ladyacct | 153 comments I really liked the description of the cake that she baked for Eve, it sounded awesome - used to watch Chef Duff's show.

message 50: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth | 116 comments Jonetta wrote: "It's been awhile since she released a novella so close to the preceding full length book. The last time I remember her doing this was with Indulgence in Death and Possession in Death. If you recall..."

Actually, I don't remember! :-( I'm re-reading Indulgence right now... can you give a "spoiler" on how the two were connected, or do I need to go find Possession again? :-) Thanks in advance...

« previous 1 3