The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

TASK HELP Winter 2012-2013 > 25.10 - Chaitra's Task - Thank You Neil Gaiman!

Comments (showing 1-45 of 45) (45 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sandy (last edited Dec 02, 2012 08:51AM) (new)

Sandy | 12662 comments Mod
25.10 - Chaitra's Task - Thank You Neil Gaiman!

I had a miserable fall challenge. I hated most of my highly anticipated books and I hated my random reads as well. But, my one bright reading spot came from the works of Neil Gaiman - I read nine books of his, and rated five of them five stars! This is one happy fan's thank you to her favorite author of Fall.

First the rules: Read two books, each from a separate option. If the connection from task to book isn't obvious from GoodReads, mention the connection in the post. If you are choosing a cover option, the cover should be posted. If you are choosing a book from a Listopia list, make sure that the book has at least one vote other than yours.

1. American Gods. Old gods and new gods battle it out in roadside attractions of the US. Many gods die.

American Gods won the Hugo and Nebula Awards in 2002/2003. In honor of that, read a book that has won either a Hugo or a Nebula. These lists may help: Hugo Winners, Nebula Winners. Required: Mention the award and the year the book won.

2. Anansi Boys. Sons of a god fight each other. Then they band up and fight other people (and gods). There's a lot of singing.

Read a book that has the genre "Mythology" on its main page. Or, read a book with a singer as the main character.

3. Smoke and Mirrors. Many monsters get their own little story. Grendel gets two, because he's boss.

Read a book with smoke or mirror(s) on the cover. Required: Post the cover.

4. Stardust. What's a boy meets girl story without a few fatal (to other people, of course) complications?

This is my guilty pleasure book. I'm the tough-chick-hate-romance kind, but this book sadly reduces me to mush. So in honor of that, re-read your guilty pleasure book. Required: Mention why you're guilty for liking it.

5. Good Omens: The Nice & Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch. Apocalypse must be averted by a sarcastic Bentley driving demon and a neurotic bookstore owning angel. But first, they must find the Antichrist.

Read a book from this list of The Funniest Novels of All Time. Required: Mention the page and the number your book appears on.

6. The Ocean at the End of the Lane. Creepy haunted house (farm? duck pond?) and all sorts of icky dark creatures. Hopefully.

Ocean is my most anticipated book for the next year! Read a book from an author with an upcoming 2013 book you're anticipating. Required: Mention the upcoming book. The book must have a publishing date (or month) after Feb 28, and to make it easy on the moderators, the book and its expected publication date must appear on Goodreads.

For example, you can read a book by Lauren Oliver if you're anticipating Requiem, which has the publication date of Mar 5, 2013. On the other hand, a book by Alan Bradley will not work, because Speaking from Among the Bones has a release date of Feb 5, 2013 which is within the winter challenge.

message 2: by Chaitra (last edited Dec 02, 2012 09:50AM) (new)

Chaitra (Chaitra_Ganesh) | 520 comments Approved

For Option 2: Mythology
Song of the Sparrow by Lisa Ann Sandell

For Option 3: Smoke.
A White So Red by K.D. Jones UnGuarded by Ashley Robertson The New Haven Project Anomaly by Jessica Marie Gilliland Fifth Business by Robertson Davies

message 3: by Chaitra (last edited Dec 02, 2012 09:54AM) (new)

Chaitra (Chaitra_Ganesh) | 520 comments Not approved

For Option 3: Smoke (more blurry than any visible smoke-like thing)
The Forest of Adventures by Katie M. John The Zombie Chronicles 2 Discovery by Mark Clodi Midnight Surrender A Paranormal Romance Anthology by Charlotte Abel

message 4: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 12662 comments Mod
This thread is now open!

message 5: by Midu (last edited Dec 02, 2012 09:28AM) (new)

Midu Hadi | 781 comments any of these:
The Forest of Adventures by Katie M. John The Zombie Chronicles 2 Discovery by Mark Clodi A White So Red by K.D. Jones Midnight Surrender A Paranormal Romance Anthology by Charlotte Abel UnGuarded by Ashley Robertson The New Haven Project Anomaly by Jessica Marie Gilliland
smoky enough?

message 6: by Kathy G. (new)

Kathy G. | 2049 comments I love Neil Gaiman, too!!!

I had just checked out this "mythology" book and didn't have a place for it yet!!! SUPER!!!

Thanks!!! :-)

message 7: by Chaitra (new)

Chaitra (Chaitra_Ganesh) | 520 comments I'm going to have to say no to that Midu. Sorry! I'm looking for this kind of smoke:

Looking for Alaska by John Green

message 8: by Bea (new)

Bea | 2956 comments Fifth Business by Robertson Davies

It is hard to see but it looks like the gentleman is smoking a cigarette with smoke actually coming from it. There is alos some sort of a rflection of the same image but it is unclear the source of the reflection.

Will you take it for option 3 for the smoke?

message 9: by Midu (new)

Midu Hadi | 781 comments all of them,Chaitra?

message 10: by Chaitra (last edited Dec 02, 2012 09:40AM) (new)

Chaitra (Chaitra_Ganesh) | 520 comments Bea wrote: "Fifth Business by Robertson Davies

It is hard to see but it looks like the gentleman is smoking a cigarette with smoke actually coming from it. There is alos some sort of a rflection of the same ..."

Sure Bea, that works! I could see the smoke in the large version of the cover. :)

message 11: by Chaitra (last edited Dec 02, 2012 09:46AM) (new)

Chaitra (Chaitra_Ganesh) | 520 comments Midu wrote: "all of them,Chaitra?"

UnGuarded by Ashley Robertson A White So Red by K.D. Jones The New Haven Project Anomaly by Jessica Marie Gilliland
- all work.

Sorry, I only saw the first one when I responded! For the first time GR notifications actually worked, lol.

message 12: by Chaitra (new)

Chaitra (Chaitra_Ganesh) | 520 comments Kathy G. wrote: "I love Neil Gaiman, too!!!

I had just checked out this "mythology" book and didn't have a place for it yet!!! SUPER!!!

Thanks!!! :-)"

I'm glad you could find a place for it Kathy! Happy reading! :)

message 13: by Midu (new)

Midu Hadi | 781 comments yaay! thanks!

message 14: by Bea (new)

Bea | 2956 comments Chaitra wrote: "Sure Bea, that works! I could see the smoke in the large version of the cover. :)"

Thanks, Chaitra. I have been trying to fit this book for several seasons!

message 15: by Fiona (Titch) (new)

Fiona (Titch) Hunt (Titch) Can I read American Gods for option 1?

message 16: by Chaitra (new)

Chaitra (Chaitra_Ganesh) | 520 comments Fiona (Titch) wrote: "Can I read American Gods for option 1?"

Sure Fiona, you can! :) American Gods won the Hugo in 2002 and Nebula in 2003.

message 17: by Fiona (Titch) (new)

Fiona (Titch) Hunt (Titch) Thanks, that's what I was hoping x

message 18: by Sheila (new)

Sheila (SheilaJ) | 2090 comments Mirror?

Ghost in the Mirror Real Cases of Spirit Encounters by Leslie Rule

Smoke?

Smoke Screen by Sandra Brown

message 19: by Chaitra (new)

Chaitra (Chaitra_Ganesh) | 520 comments Sheila wrote: "Mirror?

Ghost in the Mirror Real Cases of Spirit Encounters by Leslie Rule

Smoke?

Smoke Screen by Sandra Brown"

Yes to both Sheila!

message 20: by Sheila (last edited Dec 02, 2012 12:00PM) (new)

Sheila (SheilaJ) | 2090 comments Thanks Chaitra, now to figure which to go with, the smoke or the mirror! Maybe I could sneak by using both??? wink, wink. Just kidding.

BTW I'm a big Neil Gaiman fan myself. He narrates his audiobooks which I love to listen to.

message 21: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele (Klibrary) | 1358 comments Nice task, Chaitra!
One of the highlights of my librarian life was shaking Neil Gaiman's hand after the awards dinner at the ALA conference when he won for The Graveyard Book. I'm looking forward to choosing my books!

message 22: by Chaitra (new)

Chaitra (Chaitra_Ganesh) | 520 comments Sheila wrote: "BTW I'm a big Neil Gaiman fan myself. He narrates his audiobooks which I love to listen to."

I don't listen to audiobooks because my attention wanders off 10 minutes into it, but now you've made me curious. I'll check out Stardust, if he's narrated it - because I know it backwards. Thank you!

message 23: by Chaitra (new)

Chaitra (Chaitra_Ganesh) | 520 comments Karen GHHS wrote: "Nice task, Chaitra!
One of the highlights of my librarian life was shaking Neil Gaiman's hand after the awards dinner at the ALA conference when he won for The Graveyard Book."

I'm so jealous! Kidding, lol. Thank you, and I hope you a great time reading for the task! :)

message 24: by Kathy G. (new)

Kathy G. | 2049 comments Does this book work for "expected publication date?"
so I can use this author?

The Guardian (Home to Hickory Hollow #3) by Beverly Lewis

message 25: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 6362 comments so making sure I understand - the next book in the Charley Davidson series isn't due out until May 2013 so I could read #4 that was just released?

message 26: by Cassie (new)

Cassie | 133 comments Great task--Neil Gaiman is a really talented author. I've fallen out of love with him a bit in the past few years, but I have great respect for him. Just wondering for the Anansi Boys task if I can use The Histories by Herodotus for the book with the mythology genre on its main page. It says "Fantasy>Mythology"... and also has questionable status as a mythology in my opinion. But! Is "Fantasy>Mythology" on the main page good enough to fulfill the requirement?

message 27: by Chaitra (new)

Chaitra (Chaitra_Ganesh) | 520 comments Kathy G. wrote: "Does this book work for "expected publication date?"
so I can use this author?

The Guardian (Home to Hickory Hollow #3) by Beverly Lewis"

Yes Kathy, Beverly Lewis works!

message 28: by Chaitra (new)

Chaitra (Chaitra_Ganesh) | 520 comments Dee wrote: "so making sure I understand - the next book in the Charley Davidson series isn't due out until May 2013 so I could read #4 that was just released?"

Yes Dee, that's exactly right. #4 of the series will work just fine.

message 29: by Chaitra (new)

Chaitra (Chaitra_Ganesh) | 520 comments Cassie wrote: "Great task--Neil Gaiman is a really talented author. I've fallen out of love with him a bit in the past few years, but I have great respect for him. Just wondering for the Anansi Boys task if I can..."

Yes Cassie, Fantasy>Mythology is fine too! :)

message 30: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 6362 comments Chaitra wrote: "Dee wrote: "so making sure I understand - the next book in the Charley Davidson series isn't due out until May 2013 so I could read #4 that was just released?"

Yes Dee, that's exactly right. #4 o..."

thanks!

message 31: by Donna Jo (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 3157 comments For the list on #5,does it matter that a number of the books listed are not actually novels? Or is it enough that they are on the list?

message 32: by Cassie (new)

Cassie | 133 comments Thanks!

message 33: by Chaitra (new)

Chaitra (Chaitra_Ganesh) | 520 comments Donna Jo wrote: "For the list on #5,does it matter that a number of the books listed are not actually novels? Or is it enough that they are on the list?"

Donna Jo, that's fine. As long as they're on the list and meet the general SRC page requirements they'll work for the task.

message 34: by Donna Jo (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 3157 comments Thanks for the fast answer.

message 35: by Tammy AZ (new)

Tammy AZ (TammyAZ) | 550 comments Karen GHHS wrote: "Nice task, Chaitra!
One of the highlights of my librarian life was shaking Neil Gaiman's hand after the awards dinner at the ALA conference when he won for The Graveyard Book. I'm looking forward t..."

I passed him in a crosswalk at the San Diego mid- winter ALA and it gave me quite a thrill!

message 36: by Peebee (new)

Peebee | 485 comments So does anyone know of a good list for upcoming release dates? I know I've seen them somewhere on the interwebs for specific authors or publishers, but wondering if there's a site with a master list. This task is a good way to catch up on the back catalog of some of my favorite authors, assuming their next release has been given a date, but it would be easier not to have to go to each individual site to figure that out....thanks!

message 37: by Chaitra (last edited Dec 04, 2012 12:46PM) (new)

Chaitra (Chaitra_Ganesh) | 520 comments I found this blog a few days ago when I was looking for upcoming books. It's very limited though.

There's also Goodreads' own: Popular 2013 Releases.
I checked, and the first 3 pages of this are all YA, which is not my thing, so I lost interest in it. But it does have 200+ pages.

Edit: I checked it again, and found that 150+ pages have nothing in them, lol. But it does have 30+ filled pages.

message 38: by Samantha (new)

Samantha (samjaymc) | 71 comments Can you re-read a book for this challenge?

message 39: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 6362 comments I use fictfact.com for upcoming releases - it is really good for books in series - because you can tag series that you read, and it lets you know what the next book in the series is, and when the next book will be released

message 40: by Chaitra (new)

Chaitra (Chaitra_Ganesh) | 520 comments Sam wrote: "Can you re-read a book for this challenge?"

Sure Sam, as long as you re-read it back-to-front and not just skim. In fact, one of the options (4) is specifically to re-read a book. :)

@Dee, thanks! I didn't know of that website at all!

message 41: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (shorty_320) | 1382 comments For option 3, I'm wondering if the following will work:

Fairest, Vol. 1 Wide Awake by Bill Willingham

There is steam coming out of the coffee cup; would that be considered smoke?

message 42: by Chaitra (new)

Chaitra (Chaitra_Ganesh) | 520 comments Stacie, yes. That'll work!

message 43: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (shorty_320) | 1382 comments Chaitra wrote: "Stacie, yes. That'll work!"

Thanks Chaitra!

message 44: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (shorty_320) | 1382 comments Chaitra wrote: "Stacie, yes. That'll work!"

Thanks Chaitra!

message 45: by Claire (new)

Claire (proud-mum) | 994 comments I'm going to read The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman for option 1 and Good Omens by Terry Pratchett for option 5 x