Best Teen Books discussion

author crush

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jan (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:28AM) (new)

Jan (janchief) | 10 comments Mod
Who do you have a crush on? You know, the author that you think is brilliant and totally fabulous and you'd stalk him/her if you weren't worried that he/she would call the police?

Mine is M.T. Anderson. And I did stalk him at the ALA YA Author Breakfast in Washington D.C. He was blissfully unaware of my stalking proclivities, however, as I do appear normal most of the time...

Janchief

message 2: by Kate (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:28AM) (new)

Kate | 2 comments Uh, yeah, John Green (along with all my co-workers). Can't get enough of his Brotherhood 2.0 blog.

message 3: by Jan (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:28AM) (new)

Jan (janchief) | 10 comments Mod
Yeah, I love his blog too.

message 4: by Angie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:32AM) (new)

Angie Ungaro (deweydecimator) | 1 comments I know this way late in the game but I am totally smitten with the brothers Green as well. I am also majorly crushing on Kadir Nelson (who is technically a children's artist/illustrator) and I went to an author thing for "Guys Write for Guys Read" and totally made eyes at Erik Kraft. I feel tenderly towards Brian Scelznick and James Howe. When I was 15 I was convinced that Christoper Moore and I would one day get married. But my heart will forever belong to Neil Gaiman.

message 5: by J-Lynn Van Pelt (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:00PM) (new)

J-Lynn Van Pelt | 19 comments Green is on my list too as well as Anthony Horowitz and Markus Zusack. I have seen all of them at conferences and they are very well spoken! Plus, Horowitz and Zusack have cool accents.

message 6: by Julie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:01PM) (new)

Julie (jbeukema) | 1 comments Total agreement on the M.T. Anderson stalking! I, too, am a fan!

message 7: by Karee (new)

Karee | 4 comments I may or may not have a TINY girl crush on J.K. Rowling, hahaha. I don't really think I do, but my family think I rave on about her ingenuity too much not to. Lol.

message 8: by Meg (last edited Jan 06, 2008 02:29PM) (new)

Meg | 5 comments ditto to the Green posts. also fell in love with Craig Thomson a couple months ago when i saw him on a graphic novel panel. my face was beet red while he signed my book and i did the whole "hu hu yeah" thing after everything he said but i'm still pretty sure we'll end up married one day:)

message 9: by Beth (new)

Beth (bibliocat4) | 9 comments Yes - John Green is adorable! I so badly want to meet him but I am afraid I will just be blushing the whole time!

message 10: by Abby (new)

Abby Johnson (abbylibrarian) Agreed about John Green.. and I actually did meet him last year, but I was too shy to say anything. I did get to be in one of his B2.0 videos, though... All of us at the signing got to say good morning to Hank.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

I've gotta say I'm the world's worst YA author fan girl. They are my heroes and I am so lucky that I've gotten to meet so many of them and stutter uh, uh, uh. John Green is adorable and even cooler in person than on Brotherhood 2.0. Scott Westerfeld really rocks and is super kind to teen readers. Justine Larbalestier who is spouses with Scott is also way cool. I met Maureen Johnson last summer in Atlanta at Dragoncon when she was wearing her Wonder Woman outfit and I so wanted to be her. Neil Gaimen is sooo cute and gracious, too. I haven't met M.T. Anderson but I saw him speak and was way smitten.

message 12: by Trevor (new)

Trevor (trevoroakley) I gotta say that I'm glad to read about others "stalking" YA authors and such! =P I always felt kinda strange being a huge author mark, but yeah -- I have no crushes per se, but I feel like I'm in the presence of celebrity/greatness when I get to meet these wonderful people. Guerilla Lib., they're my heroes too!

message 13: by Ken (new)

Ken Hmn... this would never even occur to me. Is it a symptom of the celebrity age we live in? Having been brought up on a lot of classics (though I now read a lot of YA to keep up with my students), I learned to "look past" the author because so many of them were creeps in their ways -- Hemingway, Faulkner, Pound, Hamsun, etc. -- whether due to alcohol or drugs or politics or cruelty/disinterest to wife and kids and so on. Of course, we don't find out THAT info about YA authors as a rule. Maybe better that way, eh...?

message 14: by Kim (last edited Feb 17, 2008 07:31AM) (new)

Kim | 47 comments You guys are cracking me up...as a small indie YA author who has no stalkers, I can dare to dream, I guess :-) Seriously, though, I met Michael Chabon once at Squaw Valley Writers where he was doing a reading and I just totally LOVE Michael Chabon - I went to talk to him and did the whole stuttering thing...TOTALLY embarrassing. He looked embarrassed for me. But it's all about perspective. I did a book reading last October and one of the students was really shy and sweet and waiting to talk to me after my reading and the librarian said "well, he's never met anyone he thinks is famous..." and I said "someone famous is here?..." and it took me a full minute to realize she meant me - it was so weird. And hilarious, considering I'm so far from that it's not even funny. I gave THAT kid a free copy of the book - he ruled my world that day!! :-)

message 15: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie | 3 comments Totally had a crush on Robert Cormier that lasted well into my adulthood. I cried and cried when I read he had died.

I also have a perverse crush on Christopher Hitchens. Yeah, don't ask.

message 16: by Kim (new)

Kim | 47 comments Okay, Christopher Hitchen's "makeover" in Vanity Fair was hilarious!

message 17: by Ken (new)

Ken Never read Christopher Hitchens. Am I missing anything of substance?

message 18: by Debra (new)

Debra (dlgarfinkle) | 3 comments I have a married lady crush on Gordon Korman. He's very funny and cute too.

message 19: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie | 3 comments True that, Kim! :-)

Newengland, Christopher Hitchens can either captivate or enrage you, depending on your political bent. I love his cranky, curmugeonly persona. He takes great pleasure in being the sand in the lubricant of life.

message 20: by Stacy (new)

Stacy (stacy_g_k) | 8 comments John Irving, Markus Zusak, and Rob Thomas (Rats Saw God).

message 21: by Roni (new)

Roni (v_a_b) If I were the stalker type and he were alive...Roald Dahl

message 22: by Violaceous (new)

Violaceous | 4 comments M.T. Anderson will have a gang following him around - he'd be at the top of my "to stalk" list as well.

message 23: by Ash (new)

Ash (departed_dearly) Well, I don't really like authors in the way that I want to lock them away forever in my closet but I would love to stalk a few and just hang out with them while watching them carefully. Here are mine: Stephenie Meyer, Poppy Z. Brite, and Gerard Way.

message 24: by Sarah (new)

Sarah I would stalk John Green. I can't wait to see him at Ohio Youth Services Symposium. He's adorkable.
I've tried stalking Gerard Way. And I got to meet him for like 10 seconds at Comic Con.
If I was stalking in a non-crush manner, Meg Cabot. Cause I want to be her.

message 25: by Caroline (last edited Apr 28, 2008 03:43PM) (new)

Caroline (booksandbows) | 17 comments Everybody has already posted mine... Marus Zusak (hot accent) and John Green, nerdfighters forever. People i would just generally like to stalk, Stephenie Meyer and Jo Rowling.

message 26: by Asia (last edited May 05, 2008 05:21PM) (new)

Asia | 1 comments no comment!

message 27: by Meghan (new)

Meghan (reader_meg) | 2 comments Most definitely John Green. Also, Markus Zusak.