Time Travel discussion

Picking Monthly Books - Archives > December 2012/January Nominations: Time Travel Novel Published Within the Last Year

Comments (showing 1-19 of 19) (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amy, Queen of Time (last edited Dec 11, 2012 08:10PM) (new)

Amy | 2196 comments Mod
This is our first official "themed" book club read as voted upon by our members.

GUIDELINES FOR NOMINATIONS:
1. Theme: A New Time Travel Novel (published any time between December 2011 and December 2012). If you don't have any in mind, Goodreads has a list of some of the most recent Time Travel New Releases. An advanced search on Amazon yields this list to wade through.
2. The books being nominated must currently be in print or available as an eBook.
3. No more than two nominations per group member.
4. Please use "add book/author" at the top of the comment box to create a link to the cover and/or the book that you nominate along with information about the book or about why you want to nominate the book.
5. Sequels cannot be nominated unless they can stand alone on their own.
6. Yes, you can nominate your own book.
7. Yes, you can nominate and vote for something you've already read as long as you're planning to join in the discussion.

Nominations: December 2nd-8th
Poll: December 8th-15th
New Book Discussion: December 15th-January 15th

New-ish time travel novels that have previously been read by the group and are not eligible for nomination include:
June/July 2012: 11/22/63 by Stephen King
May 2012: Towards Yesterday by Paul Jones
Mar 2012: How to Live Safely in a Science Fictional Universe by Charles Yu
Jan-Feb 2012: Map of Time by Felix J. Palma
Sept-Oct 2011: TimeRiders by Alex Scarrow

message 2: by Amy, Queen of Time (last edited Dec 02, 2012 07:31AM) (new)

message 3: by Tej (last edited Dec 02, 2012 02:01AM) (new)

Tej (TheyCallMeMrGlass) | 1676 comments Mod
This is a good opportunity to nominate some of our group member authors' books which i have compiled those published from December 2012. Sadly most of our group member author books and most of which i have read were published in 2011 so cannot be included :(

http://www.goodreads.com/group/booksh...

message 4: by Frances (new)

Frances Clark (throughtime) | 88 comments Corridor by Robin Parish looks interesting.
This is the description.
On the eve of his seventeenth birthday, Troy Goggin finds himself inexplicably transported to an impossibly huge, miles-long structure called the Corridor. But what is the Corridor, and why was he brought to it? It’s a place of mystery, wonder, and heart-stopping danger. It will test him and push him both mentally and physically. His only companion is the girl whose voice he hears inside his head, explaining the rules he must follow if he hopes to escape.
But there is much more to this extraordinary place than Troy could ever imagine. The Corridor’s true purpose — the biggest mystery of all — is revealed only to those who make it to the end

message 5: by John, Moderator in Memory (new)

John | 834 comments Mod
I would like to nominate:

The Kronos Interference by Edward Miller The Kronos Interference

Thieves by Robert Crawson Thieves

message 6: by Amy, Queen of Time (new)

Amy | 2196 comments Mod
Here's the link to the book that Frances nominated:
Corridor by Robin ParrishCorridor by Robin Parrish

message 7: by Heather(Gibby) (new)

Heather(Gibby) (Heather-Gibby) | 404 comments My nomination The Timekeeper's Son

I plan on reading it whether or not it wins.

message 8: by Debbie (new)

Debbie | 84 comments I would like to nominate:
Mariana by Susanna Kearsley
and
Thomas Jefferson, Rachel & Me by Peter Boody

message 9: by Randal (new)

Randal White I would like to nominate: The Map of the Sky: A Novel, by Felix J. Palma.

message 10: by Howard (new)

Howard Loring (howardloringgoodreadscom) | 1174 comments As the Revised Edition of my first book & my second (not a sequel) were published last January & are therefore ineligible after this month, I’d like to take advantage of Rule #6 & nominate my two Epic Fables:

Beyond the Elastic Limit by Howard Loring Piercing the Elastic Limit by Howard Loring

message 11: by Tej (new)

Heather wrote: "My nomination The Timekeeper's Son

I plan on reading it whether or not it wins."

I champion that nomination, its one I'm eager to read :)

I am still yet to nominate a book, this one needs some time to think over as there are a lot to choose from, albeit most seem to be teenage romances at first glance...yuch!

message 12: by Tej (last edited Dec 07, 2012 08:12PM) (new)

I nominate this one. Very lovely synopsis, sound like a book of intrigue, personal voyage of discovery with unravelling revelations, unlikely romance, and of course time travel to 19 century.

The Ruby Brooch by Katherine Lowry LoganThe Ruby Brooch

message 13: by Frances (new)

Frances Clark (throughtime) | 88 comments As it is the last time it can be nominated, I'll nominate this one for my second book.

Piercing the Elastic Limit

message 14: by John, Moderator in Memory (new)

John | 834 comments Mod
Frances, I think the "published in the last year" limitation this month was just to change things up a little and get some nominations that were a little more current. Each month, the rules and/or theme of the book club will change to keep things interesting. So there will likely be other opportunities to nominate Howard's book.

message 15: by Frances (new)

Frances Clark (throughtime) | 88 comments John wrote: "Frances, I think the "published in the last year" limitation this month was just to change things up a little and get some nominations that were a little more current. Each month, the rules and/or..."

Thanks John. I plan on reading it anyway so all is good.

message 16: by David (last edited Dec 09, 2012 09:02AM) (new)

David Merrill | 19 comments Dang! Stephen King's 11/22/63 misses by a month. It was out 11/11. The paperback came out 7/12. Does that count?

message 17: by Tej (last edited Dec 09, 2012 10:14AM) (new)

David wrote: "Dang! Stephen King's 11/22/63 misses by a month. It was out 11/11. The paperback came out 7/12. Does that count?"

We would be going by first publish date, David, however, we already read that book a few months ago! Sorry you missed that one :( Check Amy's first post for a full list of "previously read".

I think nominations ended on 8th, Amy will put up the voting round shortly.

message 18: by Amy, Queen of Time (last edited Dec 09, 2012 07:18PM) (new)

Amy | 2196 comments Mod
The poll is now up at:
http://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/75....

Based on the first-published dates listed on GoodReads, sequel status, & subject matter, the following 4 nominated books do not qualify:
*Mariana - first published 1994
*Piercing the Elastic Limit - first published November 1, 2011
*The Map of the Sky - 2nd in a series
*Corridor - not about time travel

However, we'd be happy to have those nominated some other month when they do qualify for the month's theme.

message 19: by Amy, Queen of Time (new)

Amy | 2196 comments Mod
The December/January Book Club Run-Off Vote is up at http://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/76....