Crazy for Young Adult Books discussion

ARCHIVES > What Books Did You Read When You Were A YA?

Comments (showing 1-23 of 23) (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Psylk (new)

Psylk | 185 comments So it occured to me that a lot of us here aren't exactly Young Adults anymore. What did you read when you were one?

For me it was the Baily School Kids, R.L.Stine,Bridge to Terabithia (still a favorite), and anything by Christopher Pike.

What about you? And what started your passion for reading?

message 2: by Gisbelle (new)

Gisbelle | 27303 comments I mostly read classic, like Charles Dickens, Bram Stoker... Those books were always around the house, so I guess they were the ones that got me hooked.

I also loved R.L. Stine. Still do. I have read a lot of his books, Goosebumps series, point horror series and fear street series. I still go around finding him books. Pretty cheap now. I have bought a few fear street for less than a dollar each :)

message 3: by Trisha, lives on coffee (new)

Trisha | 31379 comments I also read a lot of R.L. Stine...but when I was YA, I always wanted to read adult books (how silly is that now!?!? LOL!)

so, I read all of the Stephen King collection and then made my way through some Dean koontz, V.C. Andrews, and finally started reading the classics!

now I'm circling back around and would MUCH rather read YA then adult books! LOL!

message 4: by Tayla (new)

Tayla Robichaud (trobes7x) | 1648 comments I'm just starting to be a young adult xD

message 5: by Aalia (new)

Aalia Mahdavi (EarthAngels) | 7 comments Charles Dickens because that was the only books available to me at the time..Now there is so much out there love it!!

message 6: by Jojobean (new)

Jojobean | 675 comments I used to read R.L. stine books and I have every one of the goosebumps books. I also read sweet valley kids, sweet valley twins and sweet valley high.

my mom n grandma started my love of reading when I was little. my grandma used to read to me all the time. my mom became a librarian and used to get me any books I wanted and she still does. I remember when I was a kid she used to get all of the new releases first and I was able to read the new books before anyone else. she used to get all the new goosebump books every month and bring them home for me and my sister. now that I'm old enough to buy my own books she doesn't get books anymore, instead she brings the newest dvds and tv dvd seasons :)

message 7: by Cindy (new)

Cindy Williams (Cindyw9) | 2 comments Im trying to find free ebooks of RL Stine. I have all the goosebumps... Im looking for the fear street and others of his.

message 8: by Kristen (new)

Kristen Tarzwell (Kristarz) I wish I appreciated YA when I Was more in that age category because I read mostly adult novels...Alot of them. However, when I was 12 I was obsessed with Fear Street by R.L Stine... Did any of you read those? I have the whole series still ha ha.

message 9: by Gisbelle (new)

Gisbelle | 27303 comments I love R.L. Stine :) I read mostly his books too when I was around that age :D

message 10: by Holly (last edited Jan 05, 2013 01:59PM) (new)

Holly Letson (BookaholicHolly) | 28 comments Like most people posting, I read a ton of R.L. Stine's *Fear Street* books. I also read quite a few Christopher Pike books, and many Anne Rice books. And, quite a few V.C. Andrews books.

I was always quite obsessed with the *Sweet Valley High* and *Sweet Valley University* books as well, even though I never did care much for the *Sweet Valley Senior Year* series. Also, loved the *Freshman Dorm* and *Sunset Island* book series as well, even though I didn't own many of those.

message 11: by Gisbelle (new)

Gisbelle | 27303 comments R.L. Stine is the best :) I still read his works!

message 12: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 4120 comments I also read a lot of R.L. Stine the Fear Street novels and Goosebumps. The Goosebumps books were very popular when I was young.

message 13: by Megan (new)

Megan Brooker | 490 comments I remember reading The Lovely Bones within a year of it's original publication as probably a twelve or thirteen year old and loving it, a couple years later I remember loving Memoirs of a Geisha too.

message 14: by Erin (new)

Erin Latimer | 108 comments Ooh, lovely bones made me cry!!

Weird, I read adult books as a YA and YA as an adult. Making up for lost time now? Not sure...

message 15: by Siobhan (new)

Siobhan (Totalwordjunkie) | 32 comments Going into teenage years, goosebumps, point horror, point romance, babysitters club (still! Plus the California diaries spin off) and the sweet valley series.

When I was about 16, I started picking up contemporary romance, so things like Boyfriend in a Dress, My Lurid Past, stuff like that. They didn't really cater for young adult until maybe 10 years ago, and by that time I was reading a lot of factual books on the punk rock era and fan fictions, as well as writing my own fan fiction.

Like Erin, I returned to young adult as an adult, about six years ago? But at 16 I was reading books that were definitely adult. I think sometimes you think at 15/16 that you need to be more mature and you show that by picking adult books, then at some point in your twenties you go 'screw it, I'm reading for me!' And pick anything that sounds goo, no matter the age group or genre.

message 16: by Abbey (new)

Abbey (abbeyshah) | 4 comments when i was still a YA, i was fond Judith Mcnaught's books and Harry Potter, of course :D

message 17: by Gisbelle (new)

Gisbelle | 27303 comments abbey wrote: "when i was still a YA, i was fond Judith Mcnaught's books and Harry Potter, of course :D"

:) Loved Harry Potter too :D

message 18: by Lesley (last edited Feb 27, 2013 08:49AM) (new)

Lesley (laparks) Nothing like aging my self here, but in the early to mid 80's, I loved the Sweet Valley High Series (Always preferred the goodie goodie Liz to the wild Jessica though!)

I also loved the First Love from Silhouette books - my mom was really into the adult Silhouette books, buying several of them every week when we went grocery shopping and she always indulged me and bought me one or two First Love books each week, so I never had a shortage of books to read.

If only she was still paying for my reading habit! lol

message 19: by Erin (new)

Erin Latimer | 108 comments Did anyone read the babysitters club when they were in their young teens?

message 20: by Emily (new)

Emily | 1584 comments Erin wrote: "Did anyone read the babysitters club when they were in their young teens?"

I read babysitters club!
Also read anything by S.E. Hinton I think I read The Outsiders about 10 times!
I also read RL Stine

message 21: by Erin (new)

Erin Latimer | 108 comments Emily wrote: "Erin wrote: "Did anyone read the babysitters club when they were in their young teens?"

I read babysitters club!
Also read anything by S.E. Hinton I think I read The Outsiders about 10 times!
I al..."

Haha, my parents didn't let me read Goosebumps, although I so badly wanted to every time I passed that section of the library!

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

I read a bit of the babysitters club I seem to remember... But my first major series was Tamora Pierce's books. She wrote a whole heap of quartets on different characters which were all set in the same world. I feel terrible that I can't remember the name off the top of my head. But those books sparked my love of fantasy. :)

message 23: by Sami (new)

Sami | 889 comments I remember being on a book ban after Harry Potter 4 came out, so the only things I could read were what I stole from my brother - Hannibal Lecter, Steven King and Christopher Pike books. Looking back, I can see why I dislike horror films now :)

@Rose - I LOVE Tamora Pierce's quartets even now, and yes she definitely sparked my love of fantasy too