Book Junkies discussion

Archives > January Themed BotM: Manga

Comments (showing 1-19 of 19) (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (Faize) | 1090 comments Mod
That's right! We'll be reading manga in January. Yay!!! If you already read manga, then hoorah! If not, pick up the book from your library anyway; seriously, you can finish it in just half an hour.

Now, the question is.......which one to read?? Nominate in this thread! Make sure the one you nominate is the first volume in the series.

message 2: by Hannah (new)

I nominate Yotsuba&!, Vol. 1 by Kiyohiko Azuma! One of my favorites, and we sooooo have to read it:)

message 3: by Hud-c (new)

Hud-c | 438 comments OMG!!! Whoever think or suggested this theme for next month, you're giving me a headache! T_T

I have several on my TBR shelf, got to check that later and pick one to nominate in here... ummm but I don't mind what you pick guys.

I'm super excited - December and January group reads are now my favorites. :D

Be back later. Hey fellow Junkies - NOMINATE your fave mangas!!!

message 4: by Hud-c (last edited Dec 05, 2012 01:19AM) (new)

Hud-c | 438 comments as promised, back to nominate :)

Naoki Urasawa's Monster, Volume 1 Herr Dr. Tenma (Naoki Urasawa's Monster, #1) by Naoki Urasawa

The mangaka is the creator of one of my all-time fave mangas 20th century boys. Monster is a seinen manga with a sci-fi theme.

I haven't read it yet but I vouch for Naoki Urasawa's brilliance in crafting a story which has the elements of thrill, mystery, action, horror, slash and hack, & suspense.

message 5: by Hannah (new)

Ooh, I haven't read any sci-fi mangas yet! (Unless you count Battle Angel Alita, which is more cyberpunk/dystopian, but whatever.) Sounds interesting:D

message 6: by Hud-c (new)

Hud-c | 438 comments Faize wrote: "Ooh, I haven't read any sci-fi mangas yet! (Unless you count Battle Angel Alita, which is more cyberpunk/dystopian, but whatever.) Sounds interesting:D"

Yes, and its also a psychological thriller. I haven't read Battle Angel Alita, though.

Hey Hannah, could we let two materials win this time? 'Cause compare to novels/books, mangas are a lot more shorter. Spanning to 200+ pages or less than 300. I think it would be more enjoyable that way, or it is just me? 0_0

message 7: by Hannah (last edited Dec 07, 2012 10:17PM) (new)

Certainly! If I had my way, I'd read 20 mangas a day:D

And actually, I also wanna nominate Sgt. Frog, Vol. 1 Enter the Sergeant (Sgt. Frog, #1) by Mine Yoshizaki. I've been watching the anime, and it is HILARIOUS:D

I really like Fruits Basket, Ouran, Death Note, and Lovely Complex too, but those are so well-known, I'd rather go with other more "obscure" mangas. What fun is it if you've read it before, ya know?

message 8: by Hud-c (new)

Hud-c | 438 comments Faize wrote: "Certainly! If I had my way, I'd read 20 mangas a day:D

And actually, I also wanna nominate Sgt. Frog, Vol. 1 Enter the Sergeant (Sgt. Frog, #1) by Mine Yoshizaki. I've been watching the anime, and it is HILARIOU..."

I know that anime - its title was Sgt Keroro when they dubbed it in my own language. LOL, frogs are cute when they're animated. Hahahaha

I'm thinking of nominating another one. Maybe a shojo manga. Ah there's so much in my mind, I can't decide. Hey wait, are we only the ones who are over enthusiastic with this?

0_0

Hey JUNKIES, NOMINATE YOUR FAVE MANGAS!

message 9: by Hannah (new)

Haha, yeah, it seems like we're the only ones getting excited to do the manga-themed group read.

And isn't the Sgt. Frog anime just so cute!? It's one of my favorite anime shows. I got hooked immediately:)

For shoujo manga....hmmm....I've heard Kimi ni Todoke is really good. Have you read that one?

message 10: by Martha (new)

Martha  (theshortone08) I hope my library has whatever ends up winning :)
Are they on netflix Faize? let me know so I can watch a few episodes :D

message 11: by Hannah (new)

Yesyesyesyesyes!!! Go look it up! Sgt. Frog. It's so funny:)

message 12: by Yinzadi (new)

Yinzadi | 1 comments I'm also excited about this theme! I'd like to suggest Chi's Sweet Home, Volume 1. Not very obscure, but very cute.

message 13: by Hud-c (last edited Dec 09, 2012 05:48PM) (new)

Hud-c | 438 comments Martha wrote: "I hope my library has whatever ends up winning :)
Are they on netflix Faize? let me know so I can watch a few episodes :D"

You better go check it out, Martha! :D

Yinzadi wrote: "I'm also excited about this theme! I'd like to suggest Chi's Sweet Home, Volume 1. Not very obscure, but very cute."

I've checked that, ABOUT a CAT. waaah so cute! Now that's something new. Geez, I'll probably have a tug of war between this and the one I've nominated. O_0

Faize wrote: "Haha, yeah, it seems like we're the only ones getting excited to do the manga-themed group read.

And isn't the Sgt. Frog anime just so cute!? It's one of my favorite anime shows. I got hooked imm..."

Totally agreed. I wonder where are the others. Yes, the anime is completely hilarious, just like Doraemon, Azumanga Daioh and other children's animes.

Mmmm... Kimi ni Todoke - heard about it but haven't tried reading it yet.

message 14: by Martha (new)

Martha  (theshortone08) OK watching Sgt Frog now with my brother.
I'll comment again with what I think.

Faize saw a little of Ouran host club (?) and it was pretty funny! The twins! Hah!

message 15: by Hannah (new)

Martha wrote: "OK watching Sgt Frog now with my brother.

Faize saw a little of Ouran host club (?) and it was pretty funny! The twins! Hah!"

Oh really? Awesome! I know, aren't the twins hilarious with their "moments"? HAHAHAHA!!!

And how'd you like Sgt. Frog?

message 16: by Hannah (new)

Hud-c wrote: "Martha wrote: "I hope my library has whatever ends up winning :)
Are they on netflix Faize? let me know so I can watch a few episodes :D"

You better go check it out, Martha! :D

Yinzadi wrote: "I..."

Me too, I've heard that Kimi ni Todoke is pretty good, but I haven't picked it up yet.

message 17: by Hud-c (new)

Hud-c | 438 comments Faize (Hannah) wrote: "Me too, I've heard that Kimi ni Todoke is pretty good, but I haven't picked it up yet...."

Yeah, its a popular manga. One of the mainstream ones under shojo genre. Maybe I'll try to read it by next year. I still have Gantz to start this week. O_o

message 18: by Martha (new)

Martha  (theshortone08) Faize (Hannah) wrote: "Martha wrote: "OK watching Sgt Frog now with my brother.

Faize saw a little of Ouran host club (?) and it was pretty funny! The twins! Hah!"

Oh really? Awes..."

Sgt Frog was a little weird but I'll watch another episode 2. The other one was funny!

message 19: by Hannah (new)

I know, Sgt. Frog is like the Japanese version of Invader ZIM (but funnier:P).